CZ 75b or 1911?

PDA

GarMan
April 4, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hey! I am looking into getting my first handgun. Been doing some research, and I have boiled it down to either a CZ 75b or a 1911. Now, I know they are a ton of copies of the 1911 out there, and this is where I am getting confused. I am looking for a decent one, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for one. So, I may need some suggestions in this area.

What would I be using one for? Home defense, target practice, and killing hogs when walking around on my friend's ranch.

I like shooting the .45 though, and have shot my friend's Kimber. I also dig my other friend's Hi Power 9mm. So, you can see why I am looking for either the CZ 75B or a 1911.

Some pros and cons would be great. I have read a ton of great reviews on the 75B as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 75b or 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
txhoghunter
April 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
killing hogs when walking around on my friend's ranch

Whichever you choose....please don't go hog hunting with it.....you need a little more firepower. It's one thing to put the animal out of its misery with a .45 ACP, but I would NEVER shoot a wild pig that has not already been put on the ground with one. Chances are, an immediately incapacitating shot will not be made, and YOU will be the one on the ground bleeding to death, not the pig.

But for the other two applications, get a 1911, I would say a Springfield Armory

2wheels
April 4, 2011, 03:39 PM
It's really all on what you prefer/shoot best. But I vote 1911, cause that's what I love.

The 9mm CZ will be cheaper to feed, though you can easily find 9mm 1911s.

As for WHICH 1911, I like Colts and Springfields but it really depends on your budget. There are a ton of 1911 makers out there.

KodiakBeer
April 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
Have you seen this? http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b-sa/

It's a CZ75 B with a single action trigger like the 1911 or BHP and it comes in 9mm or .40.

Xfire68
April 4, 2011, 03:52 PM
I would also recommend a larger caliber to hunt with. Can a .45 ACP kill hogs? Sure but, it is not ideal. 9mm would even be less recommended to hunt with.

I would look into Revolver calibers to hunt with. .41 Mag, .44 Mag, to start.

As stated above if you putting down a already downed animal then a 9mm or .45 would do the trick but not for killing cleanly on the first shot.

rbernie
April 4, 2011, 03:55 PM
I have both. I prefer the CZ, but that's a personal preference.

The CZ certainly has the advantage of economy, both in terms of the pistol and in terms of the cost of ammo.

towboat_er
April 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'd consider a 357, 44mag, or 45colt

GarMan
April 4, 2011, 04:27 PM
OK. I shall rephrase, as far as hog hunting is concerned I will be carrying a 30-30 with me. The pistol will be back-up, but now that I think about it. Maybe, I should should look into a good six shooter?! Dang. Decisions.

seed
April 4, 2011, 04:33 PM
CZ if you want a 9mm...1911 if you want a .45. Neither for hog hunting. That said, you probably will eventually get the one you didn't purchase to fulfill your caliber desires down the road. Each of these choices is fantastic for their respective original calibers and both types can be had in other calibers as well if you find yourself preferring one as a platform.

Or get a 10mm...

bill97222
April 4, 2011, 04:39 PM
I predict that you will soon prove that you can't go wrong... you'll buy one... then relatively shortly thereafter, you'll buy the other... and you'll really like them both. :)

That's how these questions work themselves out in my life anyways.

I have two 45's, both made in the Philippines, a Citadel full size and a Rock Island 3-1/2" along with a CZ 75b.

I won't try to talk you out of buying a more expensive 1911, but if a Phillipine gun fits your budget, don't hesitate to pick one up. They are good guns for the money and you'll find plenty of testimony to that effect wherever you look on the net.

The 75b and a 1911 are quite comparable arms... Mine cost roughly the same, feel about the same in your hand and all 3 of my guns are accurate, functional weapons.

I shoot my full sized 45 most... I just like the feel of a 45 cartridge heading downrange.

The biggest difference between the 75b and the 45's is that it holds 15+1, so if capacity is a major consideration, it's the clear favorite.

I bought the compact 45 as a carry gun and wouldn't recommend it as a frequent shooter. They recommend that you replace the recoil springs every 300 shots in the downsized 45's.

Japle
April 4, 2011, 04:56 PM
I went hog hunting with a buddy a few months ago.

I shot my hog with a .44 Special using CorBon JHPs and it expired quickly from two fast DA shots through the shoulders.

My buddy was using a 1911 with WalMart FMJ ammo. He shot his hog (130 lbs) 11 times before it went down to stay. I'm glad it wasn't chasing me all that time!!

That same 1911 loaded with premium JHP ammo would have done the job with one or two shots. Ammo selection is much more important than caliber.

If you get a CZ, go for the Single Action model. I have one and would be happy to hunt hogs with it if I could pick the ammo.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Guns/CZ75Aredbackground.jpg

KodiakBeer
April 4, 2011, 05:03 PM
If you get a CZ, go for the Single Action model. I have one and would be happy to hunt hogs with it if I could pick the ammo.

I'm really liking that! It's obvious that they copied the Garthwaite BHP straight trigger design. How is that trigger? Weight? Take up? Crisp? Please tell - heck, start a thread because I'm really curious about these.

txhoghunter
April 4, 2011, 05:04 PM
He shot his hog (130 lbs) 11 times before it went down to stay.

It is people like this that give hunters (and gun people by association) a bad reputation. Can we not just get a gun adequate for the game we are hunting??

sorry, not gonna hijack, just going to start a new thread....

railroader
April 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'll second the 75sa. The grip is nicer on it than on the standard 75b and since you're deciding between a 1911 and a cz the trigger action is similar.

JTQ
April 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
The CZ75 feels very good in the hand, but I prefer the 1911 for the controls. The CZ trigger reach in double action is pretty long for me. The thumb safety is not as easy to manipulate or as positive as the 1911 thumb safety.

I agree with Japle and KodiakBeer, the CZ75B S/A would be my choice if I wanted a CZ. The trigger reach is shorter, the thumb safety is a better design and the beavertail would allow a higher grip.

jeepguy
April 4, 2011, 05:58 PM
i have a kimber ss pro carry and love it, i also have a cz75b compact and love it. my friend at work went shooting twice and bought a 1911 and now he wants a 9mm which will probably a cz 75b. i think they are both great.

schmeky
April 4, 2011, 06:01 PM
I agree with the consensus of replies. You won't go wrong with a good 1911 or a CZ-75. I wouldn't really hunt hogs with a 9mm, but those +P+ 9's are pretty impressive and the CZ can handle these all day long. As a 30-30 back-up it would be OK.

Lastly, you can shoot 45 Super in a 1911 with the proper recoil spring, which I would feel confident with hunting hogs.

1SOW
April 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
You're basically talking about two very different guns.

As a first handgun, I suspect you may want to shoot it ---a lot. If money is no object, we're celebrating the 100th anniversary of what has evolved into a truly great handgun and caliber-- the 45acp.

Check Wally World ammo prices for 45acp and Win 9mm 100rd Value-Pack. (I just mentioned a convenient available reference source---other places and manufacturers may offer similar or even slightly cheaper ammo---but the point is the same---45 acp commercial ammo is WAAY more expensive than 9mm)

If you expect to shoot regularly and enough to learn how to do it well, factor in ammo cost for your decision.

jbr
April 4, 2011, 11:39 PM
Oh let's just face it - you won't be happy until you own both the auto's and the wheel gun - they are all good ideas. Love shooting my CZ75 but want a 1911 and a wheel gun - won't be happy till I have them. If You are going wheel gun - Maybe a .357/38 would make sense - you can certainly hunt with that and shoot lighter/cheaper loads for plinking.

Smaug
April 4, 2011, 11:43 PM
THEN get the 1911.

If you're dead set and wealthy enough to shoot centerfire regularly, (I know I wasn't when I bought my first handgun) this is the 100 year anniversary of the 1911.

CZs will be around next year, and so will 1911s, but it just won't be the same. :cool:

Start with a Ruger 22/45, 5-1/2" bull barrel. You'll be surprised at how much fun they are and how easy they are to shoot accurately.

Ohio Gun Guy
April 4, 2011, 11:48 PM
I had the same choice, got the CZ. I've shot 1911s but liked the higher capacity of the 9mm and the CZs are accurate.

This is the classic decision between .45 and 9mm and 2 of the better / best choices for a full size steel pistol for each. I really dont think you'll make a bad decision between the 2.

Japle
April 5, 2011, 09:37 AM
Posted by KodiakBeer:
How is that trigger? Weight? Take up? Crisp? Please tell - heck, start a thread because I'm really curious about these.

My CZ 75 SA isn’t what you’d call an out-of-the-box pistol. It was tricked out for one of the top CZ shooters and the trigger group, including the trigger itself, is aftermarket. The pull on this gun is right on two lbs and super crisp. The rear sight is the factory fixed target sight, slightly reduced in height for the FO front sight.

I bought the grips for about $15 on eBay and trimmed them down to the size I wanted, then finished with AlumaHide II from Brownells.

Ben86
April 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
If you want to use it to kill hogs get the .45 1911. 9mm is not really a caliber for hog hunting, if you get some really hot ammo maybe, but .45 is better suited IMO. Otherwise both would fit the bill. Both are fantastic guns, some of the best ever made. I have a CZ-75B and fully plan to get a 1911 soon.

GarMan
April 5, 2011, 10:57 AM
You are probably right jbr!

TonyT
April 5, 2011, 11:02 AM
GarMan,
I would not hunt wild hogs with either a 9mm or 45ACP. For the other purposes you mentioned I would opt for the CZ-75B - it is totally reliable and the ammo is much less expensive than a 45ACP. You would spend a lot more for a 1911 to onbtain the same quality and reliability as the CZ-75B.
PS: I own and shoot both CZ-75's and 1911 in several calibers.

Winkman822
April 5, 2011, 11:39 AM
Since the hunting thing seems to have ironed itself out (you carry a 30-30 as a primary), you can't go wrong with the CZ or the 1911, but I'd go for the 1911.

Insofar as what 1911, that really comes down to personal preferance/needs. If you want a 'modern' 1911, go with a Springfield Loaded or a Colt Combat Elite for a full sized gun or a Colt XSE Commander of Springfield Loaded Champion for something compact. If you want a more stripped down basic 1911, get a Springfield Mil-Spec or a Colt Series 70 reproduction for a full sized gun or a Colt Commander or Springfield GI Champion for a compact gun. The toughest part of buying a 1911 is determining which one to get.

AndyC
April 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
Buy whichever feels best in your hand first - then buy the other one later, because both are excellent designs :)

Xfire68
April 5, 2011, 01:03 PM
Well now that the OP has cleared that up I would go with a CZ 75B!

Here is a bone stock gun with a Houge grip and a 0.25$ trigger job!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/Ledge68/100_4341-1.jpg

ROBBY.1911
April 5, 2011, 01:53 PM
i have 10 1911s, in .45, .38 super and 9mm. i would feel good with any one of them. i have a CZ 75b single action on layaway and i am anxious to hear anything about them. the picture on this on this thread gets me going.

Franco2shoot
April 5, 2011, 02:38 PM
Check out Rock Island for a .45 in 1911 format. As for Hog shooting... Ruger .44 mag and you punch holes in paper with .44 special for practice.

KKKKFL

millertyme
April 5, 2011, 06:49 PM
Lots of good opinions. I have a 75B DA/SA and I never carry it in DA, always C/L. The DA trigger is pretty long and, although it gets better with age, starts out a little rough. I wouldn't forgo the DA/SA for a straight SA model, though. I have a 13# mainspring and sometimes have to double-strike a primer on cheaper ammo. Not often and almost rarely, but enough to make me glad I have the DA to do so with. I haven't handled the SA only model so I can't speak for it at all, but if the trigger is anywhere near as good as the SA trigger on my 75B then it's going to be pretty amazing.

As for the 1911 camp, I've never owned one, I've handled several, and they do nothing for me. Nothing wrong with the gun and nothing wrong with the round. It is what it is and I prefer 9mm out of my CZ75B.

Leaky Waders
April 5, 2011, 07:21 PM
It's 2011...if you don't have a 1911 in your stable after 100 years of continuous production then it's time to start. Don't let the next 100 years pass you by without one.

I prefer the ponies but others work just as fine.

L.W.

dcarch
April 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
Either one is great. I personally have a Kimber Custom II, but if money is an issue, go with the CZ. By the way, I would at least take a look at the CZ 97B http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-97-b/ , since it's a .45 with the CZ's ergonomics. I would also check out the Witness Elite Match here:http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/231/products_id/54978, which can also be had in 9mm, .45, and 10mm. Check out all your options. If you like the CZ's feel, but don't like the 9mm, there are other options available. The 1911 is a classic, however, and it fits me very well. Go with what you like. Don't rule out the Witnesses based on internet hearsay, though. They are a fantastic bang for your buck. Have fun!

yhtomit
April 6, 2011, 12:34 AM
If I could have only one of these, I'd go for the Cz. In fact, of these two guns, that's the one I *do* have :) (I have some others, but not yet a 1911.)

One day, I would like a 1911, but not yet. You can read on this very board lots of opinions about why a particular 1911 won't go through a magazine without jamming, about how the design requires hand-fitting and attention because at the time it was made, human labor was very cheap, how this or that brand of 1911 is "junk," etc. That doesn't mean that the average, run-of-the-mill 1911 isn't actually reliable, but I very rarely hear of problems with Cz-75s :)

Also, if it matters to you, 9mm is a lot cheaper than .45!

timothy

rmorgan
April 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
hard choice. i love my Springfield 45 XD, it just fits my hands - everyone calls them 'baby bear paws'. but so does the CZ75B, and talk about a pleasure to shoot.

save more money and buy both.

BUT DON'T GO WALKING ABOUT WITH EITHER AS PRIMARY WEAPON FOR FERAL HOGS. YOU'LL ONLY GET HURT.

The Lone Haranguer
April 6, 2011, 07:40 PM
Other than Colt, all 1911s are copies, while the CZ75 is the original. For all the 1911's positive attributes, I am still looking for one that is reliable (one Colt and two copies were dreadful). The CZ products I own or have owned performed flawlessly. The only areas where the CZ75 doesn't match a good 1911 are slenderness and trigger pulls.

Furncliff
April 6, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have both. Shot them both today. If I had to give one up it would be a very tough decision. With a budget around $500 you can get either. The CZ cost me about $350 used 7 years ago. I have an RIA 1911 tactical, (they run about $420 new). The RIA been very good to me, and I have considered getting the RIA in 9mm, except the CZ is such an outstanding 9 that it would seem redundant. I like the Kadet conversion that allows me to shoot .22LR from the CZ and I use it a lot since the change over only takes 15 seconds. There are .22 conversions for the 1911 also. Shooting the .45 is 2 1/2 - 3 times more expensive than the 9mm. I think that would tip me toward recommending the CZ75b as a first buy, with the 1911 on a short list.

This site list the RIA .45 1911 tactical for $419

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TACA.aspx

This company specializes in Cz, especially pistols.They have the 75b listed at $462

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75B-PolyCoat-9mm_91102.aspx

ps. If you buy new expect the trigger on the Cz to be in need of some attention to get it tuned up. The RIA tactical model will need no work. Mine came out of the box with a fantastic trigger pull.

NMGonzo
April 7, 2011, 03:54 PM
Both.

Thank me later.

451 Detonics
April 7, 2011, 03:59 PM
I am saving up my pennies for this CZ...the Czechmate...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/handguns/cz75kit.jpg

cpirtle
April 7, 2011, 04:54 PM
Personally, I don't think either is what I'd call a good starter gun unless you are willing to commit to the system and practice a lot. I say this knowing full well I may get flamed but I don't mean it to incite any anger ;)

On the CZ you have the change in action from the first shot to follow-up shots. This stumps a lot of new shooters and almost always guarantee's the first shot is off (especially under stress) until the system is mastered. Can lead to a lot of frustration.

With the 1911 IMO you need to commit to condition 1 carry or go home. I see way too many people buy a 1911 because of the mystique and won't carry it cocked and locked or sometimes even with one in the pipe. Again, if you get one master it and learn that the gun is completely safe in a good holster with the hammer cocked and the safety on.

Muscle memory is worth a million in a tense situation.

I had a CZ 75b for a few years and it was a fine gun, I'm a huge fan of 1911's and as centerfire pistols go I pretty much only have revolvers and 1911's anymore. But for new or casual shooters I generally recommend striker fired, DAO or revolvers.

Again, JMO

aubie515
April 7, 2011, 05:02 PM
I've had multiples of both...I like the 1911s much better...CZs are heavy to carry all day long....I have no issue carrying a government model.

All boils down to personal preference.

dcarch
April 7, 2011, 06:41 PM
No way I'm gonna flame you, cpirtle. I like the 1911 and the CZ platform myself, but you have raised some very good and valid points about other models. That's what The High Road is all about.

gym
April 7, 2011, 07:04 PM
45 is fine, although most recommend a 357 for hogs. My marine sniper bud bought a 44 mag 6 inch for this exact plan, and was told by some good old boys it wasn't necessary. A 10 mm would also be a good choice a 9mm not so much, you won't get the penetration and expansion, so you will have to settle for 1 or the other. That's not optimal. Now some young competition shooters just laugh at all this and recommend a 22, or a pen knife. It depends on your tracking abilitys and hunting skills. Since I like to keep my legs I go the old fashioned way with a guy holding a slug gun in back just in case. If big bertha comes out I aint screwing with a pistol round. Gimme the shotgun. Reminds me of when my uncles went for Moose in Canada with and Indian guide, they had all their custom stuff, uncle mike the marine was also a gunsmith, the guide looked at them like they were all crazy. He used a 22 on a moose. Uncle Mike didn't understand how that was possible, the guide said I am very quiet, i am an indian, I sneak up and shoot him in the ear. So smoke em if you got em..

Wade Wilson
April 8, 2011, 12:08 AM
The better question is which one will you buy first...

AndyC
April 8, 2011, 04:20 AM
On the CZ you have the change in action from the first shot to follow-up shots. This stumps a lot of new shooters and almost always guarantee's the first shot is off (especially under stress) until the system is mastered. Can lead to a lot of frustration.
Not true.

The first shot is single-action after racking the slide as the hammer is obviously cocked during the process. Double-action for the first shot only comes into the picture if the hammer has been manually lowered after getting the chamber loaded in the first place.

In other words, a double-action first shot with a CZ75 is a conscious, deliberate choice on the part of the shooter.

rbernie
April 8, 2011, 08:42 AM
In other words, a double-action first shot with a CZ75 is a conscious, deliberate choice on the part of the shooter.
Absolutely. One of the virtues of the CZ-75B is that you can carry it cocked-and-locked (Condition 1) like a 1911, or you can carry it hammer-down on a loaded chamber (Condition 2) like a traditional DA/SA hi-cap pistol.

Jed Carter
April 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
1911 for the price of a CZ 75B, STI Spartan starts at around $628, will have better sights, grips and trigger than the CZ. The Spartan is available in 9mm, .45ACP so take your pick. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000AE1-1263828368 For less than the price of the CZ you can get a Rock Island in .45 or 9mm http://www.centerfiresystems.com/1911.aspx The CZ is nice but the sights and trigger are lacking I have several 1911s and a CZ 75D PCR, the CZ shoots OK the 1911s all shoot Great.

cpirtle
April 8, 2011, 12:47 PM

Sorry, I stand corrected. Been a while since I had my CZ and I thought it had a de-cocker.

rbernie
April 8, 2011, 02:19 PM
No worries - the CZ-75BD versions do, as do several flavors of the Compact (PCR, P01, et al.). The regular CZ-75B version does not.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 75b or 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!