Multi-ball ammo

PDA

Pyro
April 6, 2011, 03:30 PM
I've recently came across this stuff at a gun show.
A .38 special case with two OOO buck balls stacked on top each other.

Further research brought me to this (http://palmpistol.com/triplex.html). The Brassfetcher test of this load seemed very promising as well. Test. (http://www.brassfetcher.com/Tri-Plex%20Terminal%20Performance%2023MAR11%20version.pdf) What do you all think of this type of ammunition?

If you enjoyed reading about "Multi-ball ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drail
April 6, 2011, 03:34 PM
Well, it's not going to have very much velocity, each individual ball doesn't have much mass and accuracy is going to require you to be very close. Where I come from we call it "snake oil" marketing. Sure, it'll put a hurt on a bad guy, but not as much as a good .38 Spl. load using a SWC or a hollowpoint. But it's good to see folks thinking outside the box. IMO.

rcmodel
April 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
Both Winchester & Remington sold multi-ball .38 Spl & .357 Mag ammo back in the 70's or 80's.
Win used nesting wad-cutters and Rem use round balls.

Performance turned out to be sub-par for SD use due to the super light projectile weight and it was discontinued after a couple years or so.

rc

earlthegoat2
April 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
Performance turned out to be sub-par for SD use due to the super light projectile weight and it was discontinued after a couple years or so.

Im sure whomever is making and marketing this stuff is well aware of its history, sadly. Things always like to come full circle. Even gimmicks.

bigfatdave
April 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Weren't multiplex loads a dead-end technology made obsolete by good HP designs?

hellinahandbasket did a write-up on them recently ...
http://hellinahandbasket.net/?p=6808

As far as I'm concerned, multiplex loads are the same concept as a frangible ... marketing first, ballistics last. Considering the reported recoil (you are launching extra mass, after all) they might not even get lead onto a reasonable target any faster than a skilled shooter could do with more common loads.

Ratshooter
April 6, 2011, 06:49 PM
Im sure whomever is making and marketing this stuff is well aware of its history, sadly. Things always like to come full circle. Even gimmicks.

I am sure the maker is aware of the history, they are just hoping the buyer isn't.

I used to make a 3 ball load with Speer 38 caliber snake shot capsules and 30 caliber (# 1) buckshot. I shot a bird with one and a few targets. I would stick with normal bullets myself.

Lucky Derby
April 6, 2011, 10:24 PM
I used to have fun with the remington loads at the range. Told my buddies I could double tap the targets faster than they could. I fired one round at each target. they were amazed when the targets had 2 hits each, but they swore I only fired once at each target.

They are fun, but worthless for any serious use.

suemarkp
April 6, 2011, 11:30 PM
It needs a bit more speed. Don't know why they were 100 fps slower than the 158gr LHP. Perhaps that extra speed would help the projectiles to separate sooner too.

Penetration seems adequate (but at the minimum you'd want to have). A bit more speed would help that too.

Manco
April 7, 2011, 09:53 AM
Further research brought me to this (http://palmpistol.com/triplex.html). The Brassfetcher test of this load seemed very promising as well. Test. (http://www.brassfetcher.com/Tri-Plex%20Terminal%20Performance%2023MAR11%20version.pdf) What do you all think of this type of ammunition?

According to the ballistics test, it should be pretty effective from 5' away and closer, but it lacks effectiveness at longer ranges. That just about says it all. At contact or near-contact range, I certainly wouldn't discount it, as being hit by three projectiles per shot is no laughing matter--that's three chances of hitting something vital (with adequate penetration), which I do find compelling. The question is whether it is worth the trade-off of needing to be so close, as it seriously degrades in effectiveness even at 10'. There are some who are comfortable with making certain assumptions about the encounters they may find themselves in (e.g. there won't be much distance between the bad guy and me), and others who are more comfortable with preparing for the unexpected (this group would include me), so it is up to individuals to decide for themselves whether they like this ammo and find it appropriate to use for their own defense.

Pyro
April 7, 2011, 04:51 PM
I might get some, a tad expensive but this is an exotic load.
Sometimes I throw my .38 derringer in my pocket when I need to walk the dog or whatever.
This might be a better load for derringers then a revolver, other then the "two shots only" part I wonder if the forcing cone had any affect on the load.

NMGonzo
April 7, 2011, 04:57 PM
I have multi ball ...

9 rounds of ball on the 1911 :P

Pyro
April 7, 2011, 05:16 PM
I have multi ball ...

9 rounds of ball on the 1911
*slaps knee* :P

If you enjoyed reading about "Multi-ball ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!