Selling Spent Shell Casings?

PDA

IcemanUnlimited
April 7, 2011, 10:38 PM
First off, I assume that is what people are usually referring to by "brass" in terms of reloading, correct?

If so, I could just save them all up and sell them to reloaders? Sounds like I'd be making some of my money back when I buy ammo for the range. =]

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling Spent Shell Casings?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IcemanUnlimited
April 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
Is this true or am I way off in my thinking here?

orionengnr
April 7, 2011, 10:59 PM
If you price them right, they will sell.

kingpin008
April 7, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yes, spent shell casings are referred to as brass, since they're made of the stuff. ;)

And yes, depending on the caliber and the demand, you could make a little money back.

IcemanUnlimited
April 7, 2011, 11:07 PM
Haha thank you. I feel like such a noob on this forum but at least you guys don't rub it in my face. =P

Now that I brought it up, can you ship "brass" to a private address without any problems?

Edit: Sorry, had it in the wrong section.

rc109a
April 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yep, do it all the time. It can go through any of the major carriers without any fuss.

kingpin008
April 7, 2011, 11:15 PM
We're all new at some point, man. Just have patience, and you'll get your questions answered eventually.

That said - as has been mentioned you're good to go in regards to sending brass directly to a buyer. There's no issue with brass at all, really. Even primed brass can be shipped direct to a buyer. It's only when you ship loaded ammo or primers that you start running into hassles.

HOWARD J
April 7, 2011, 11:26 PM
Don't sell your brass-keep it.
When you buy your reloading equipment you will have lots of brass for reloading.

kingpin008
April 7, 2011, 11:38 PM
Eh, that's what I thought too. Never got around to reloading, and still have no interest. Reloading just isn't for everyone.

IcemanUnlimited
April 7, 2011, 11:43 PM
Eh, that's what I thought too. Never got around to reloading, and still have no interest. Reloading just isn't for everyone.

Yeah.. Doesn't interest me. Plus I'll have to BUY the reloading equipment, just more expenses and more work.

Carl N. Brown
April 8, 2011, 12:09 AM
People will buy once fired brass casings for most calibers for reloading (look inside the case for a single, central vent hole identifying reloadable Boxer primed cases (one or two off-center holes identfy Berdan primed cases which are not commonly reloaded (they can be but its not economical).

I took a gallon freezer bag of non reloadable (European Berdan primer) brass and Boxer primer brass I had reloaded four or five times to the metal recycler and got about $21.00 for the brass (and about $8 for two large leaf bags full of aluminum cans). You should run a magnet through them to pick out any copper-washed steel cases.

bubbacrabb
April 8, 2011, 12:26 AM
I go to a lot of places to look for brass. Im a brass rat. What I do is go around and pick up all boxer primed brass I find. I take it back to the house, sort it, clean it, and what ever I dont reload I sell. Usually sell on websites like THR and sell some locally also. This is about what I get
223/556 50 dollars per 1000
9mm 30-35 per 1000
40 S&W 30 per 1000 (cant get rid of it very easy)
I dont sell most rifle brass but it is worth more. I save it back to load. I dont sell 45 either, but usually if i buy it I wont pay more than 50 dollars per 1000. It take a lot of brass to make any money back. Some guys will argue that they want polished or not polished brass. Reason being some guys will polish with amonia based polish that will weaken brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling Spent Shell Casings?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!