Colt SSA generations

PDA

rayman
April 8, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hello, just curious. Can someone tell me the differences in the SAA Colts. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. generations. I notice people selling the older ones are asking a little more than the newer ones. I'm interested in a 4 3/4 blued color cased model in 357. Are the older ones better? What's a good price for one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SSA generations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rocky branch
April 8, 2011, 09:12 PM
1st generation are high dollar antiques.
2nd generation newer, well made, but expensive.
3rd gen-much maligned by purists and overpriced.
Quality and workmanship are 3rd gen issues.

Check out auctions like gunbroker for an idea.
A Cimmeron or such would be a better deal than an actual Colt for GP.

Red Cent
April 8, 2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Colt_SAA.htm

Hondo 60
April 9, 2011, 12:36 AM
Learn something new everyday here!

rocky branch & Red Cent - thanks for posting.

CraigC
April 9, 2011, 12:45 AM
If you're gonna buy a 3rd generation Colt SAA (not SSA), buy a brand new one.

Leaky Waders
April 9, 2011, 10:43 AM
Also, Colt lists MRSP on thier website. Nutmeg sports lists prices of engraved revolvers with ivory grips. Cabela's actually has a decent listing of new and used colts in their gun room pages. Lipsey's and Davidsons can let you search for prices and local prices based upon zipcode.

rcmodel
April 9, 2011, 11:56 AM
If you're gonna buy a 3rd generation Colt SAA (not SSA), buy a brand new one.+1
The earlier 3rd. Gen guns had a pressed-in cylinder bushing.
It was often fitted incorrectly, allowing some end-shake, and there is not much you can do about it yourself.
They were later changed to the 1st/2nd Gen removable type bushing, which is a simple job to replace with a new over-size one and re-fit if end-shake rears it's ugly head.

IMO: The quality of the newer 3rd. Gen custom shop guns I have handled is right up there with the best of them again.

rc

451 Detonics
April 9, 2011, 11:31 PM
To be honest I would go this route instead of a 3rd generation Colt..

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=33733

CraigC
April 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
Can't argue with that! Or a USFA Pre-War.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SSA generations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!