Any Bridesburg 1863 Type 1 experts out there?

PDA

CHM
April 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
I recently acquired the above in excellent condition. I am looking for a source to define the stamps on the parts. For instance, there is a "w" stamped on the ramrod shaft. The lock parts are likewise stamped with w, p, and R. There are initials on the bottom of the barrel - G.A.W. as I recall and very small initials on the left side of the barrel, S.E.S. Any help is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Bridesburg 1863 Type 1 experts out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
April 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
If you don't mind a non-specific answer, most of those contractors used piecework labor, and the workers put their marks on the parts they made so that they would get paid when the parts were accepted. That practice included barrels, lock parts, and ramrods. Do we know who those people were? No, and I doubt anyone ever will; their names were forgotten long ago.

Jim

CHM
April 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have gone over all the parts well and am convinced I have an original rifle. I paid a lot for it and had to make sure I got what I paid for.

Jim K
April 12, 2011, 11:34 PM
Well, I haven't seen any repros of the Bridesburg muskets, so unless you have a mixmaster with a Bridesburg lock, you probably have an original. They are not that rare, as some 98,000 were made. Jenks made everything but the barrel, sight and stock, so the barrel marking is probably that of the subcontractor.

Jim

CHM
April 14, 2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks. I agree. I've checked the gun out thoroughly and it is all original. It's in great condition and I guedd I have to attribute that to a rifle which likely didn't see combat and was well cared for throughout the years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Bridesburg 1863 Type 1 experts out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!