S&w 629

PDA

Joe732
April 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Have question just purchased a used S&W629. When I picked up gun at the dealers
there was a small bag in the box with what seemed was a worn part.. I asked about it they had no answer for me.. The part that was replaced was the yoke that holds cylinder to frame.It seamed to be worn and had a small piece of metal chiped off of end that goes into body of frame.Do I have anything to be concerned about.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 629" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogrunner
April 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
That's a kinda hard question to respond to without looking at the gun. I have a 629.........an early first issue type with a pinned bbl and recessed cylinder. I have owned that gun for nearly thirty years and found it both reliable and extremely accurate.

If your gun locks up tight and appears overall in sound condition I wouldn't worry about that old crane, Ive fooled with revolvers of the S&W persuasion for over fifty years tho and I have never heard of one that's 'chipped' as you describe it. Still, if the part it was replaced with works I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Generally cranes, when they present a problem, have been bent and don't afford the tight lockup they should. Usually you can spot such a damaged gun by a difficult closure of cylinder to battery or extreme shaving of bullets when fired and consequently 'spitting' lead fragments to the side of the cylinder engagement area relative to the bbl......

Hope this helps some. If you have an real qualms about that gun, take it to a competent smith and ask him to check it out.

DM~
April 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
The fastest way to bend a crane, is to do the TV trick of flipping the wrist, and flopping the cylinder open.

It was replaced for what ever reason, no big dead as long as the gun works properly now.

DM

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 629" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!