Aftermarket Glock barrels

PDA

Owen
April 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
I've gotten back into USPSA and am now shooting upwards of 1000 rounds a month. I'm shooting jacketed, and eyeballing the prices of lead bullets at the same time, so I want to go to conventional rifling. The ammo price saving alone will pay for the barrel in 2 months or so.

So, what's the best aftermarket G17 barrel? Accuracy is critical to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aftermarket Glock barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TonyT
April 11, 2011, 04:18 PM
A fellow shooter has had good results with a Storm Lake barrel. I have used Jarvis barrels in my Sig's with excellent results.

D Rock
April 11, 2011, 04:36 PM
The folks over at Glock seem to like KKM, Bar-Sto and Lone Wolf. I'd do a search there for opinion but many seem to like the KKM best.

http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/home.php?cat=1
http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=GLOCK
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=82

It looks like some don't like the fact that it costs extra not to have the Lone Wolf logo on the barrel.

Dave

Z-Michigan
April 11, 2011, 04:46 PM
I have a Lone Wolf barrel that I'm completely happy with.

Have you thought about using plated or coated bullets instead? The black coated bullets (link below) are nearly as cheap as plain lead and don't foul as much. Copper plated bullets don't foul at all and cost less than jacketed. That's the route I would take. I can't stand the big gray clouds I see from people shooting lead bullets at a match.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/products.html

http://www.berrysmfg.com/

dusty14u
April 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
I have used EFK Fire Dragon Barrels in my Glock and had great accuracy. The chamber is much tighter than a stock Glock barrel. I had to fit the barrel to the gun and anyone with decent mechanical abilities should be able to do it with a few good India stones and a dremel for polishing.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=43

451 Detonics
April 11, 2011, 05:14 PM
I am shooting a Lone Wolf, shoots very well and no problems at all.

chrt396
April 11, 2011, 05:20 PM
I bought a Wolf for my model 22 and the accuracy was way off from original. The minute I put the factory barrel back in, my accuracy got better! I have heard that there are better barrels, but this Glock is not the gun I want to spend the motherload on. I just wanted to pimp it out a bit!

Hk Dan
April 11, 2011, 05:51 PM
Storm Lake is good to go, and without the random QA problems that Lone Wolf seems to enjoy.

Owen
April 11, 2011, 09:27 PM
i've tried that black bullets before, and the leading was terrible after 150-200 rounds. The Berry's plated are actually more expensive than the jacketed im buying from Precision Delta

GLOOB
April 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
Lone Wolf, here. Nary a problem. If anything, I think my LW barrel shoots lead better than plated.

There was a little bit of leading the first time I shot cast, but the last time there wasn't much to speak of. I wonder if the lead tends to foul places where your barrel isn't as clean as you thought it was? So after the first cleaning, it no longer occurs as badly?

I can't tell the difference while shooting, and cleaning is a breeze. Feed/function/accuracy/recoil all good. I don't even crimp the luger, and the oversize bullets still feed fine. You can definitely pay for the barrel if you shoot a lot.

Berry's plated are actually more expensive than the jacketed im buying from Precision Delta
That said, I still love my Berry's plated in 9mm. Have you checked the 1k bulk box price at PV? Are Precision Delta cheaper than $66 per k!?

Hangingrock
April 12, 2011, 08:42 AM
I like KKM and Bar-Sto. I’m not a proponent of another barrel manufacture mentioned. The example I had was problematic. It is not to say their product is of poor quality but rather my example was.

Zak Smith
April 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
I've used two KKM barrels and I'm very happy with them.

REL1203
April 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
if shooting only Berry's bullets, or FMJ, does one need replace their OEM Glock barrels?

Z-Michigan
April 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
if shooting only Berry's bullets, or FMJ, does one need replace their OEM Glock barrels?

Not at all. FMJ is what the barrels were designed for! Plated works fine too.

bds
April 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
Even though you shoot jacketed/plated reloads, consideration for fully supported aftermarket barrel is warranted, especially if you want to shoot 9mm major power factor or want to extend case life with tighter chamber that won't bulge the case.

+1 for Lone Wolf barrel. It is a true "drop-in" with no hand fitting required by a gunsmith and fully supports the case base with very tight chambers. Rifling lands are very shallow for tighter bullet to barrel fit and rifling comes well polished for minimal to no leading. Bore size is .355", nice tight fit for .356" Missouri Bullets 125 gr (Smallball) that runs about $55/1000.

For me, factory Glock barrel shoots very slightly more accurate than LW, but at USPSA distances of 7-25 yards and fast double taps, absolute bullseye accuracy is not as critical.

Owen
April 13, 2011, 05:30 PM
I don't care about brass life, or 9mm major at this point. When I go open, it won't be a glock platform either: i don't think they are competive as open guns.

Also, isn't the fully supported chamber issue really only apply to the .40s?

REL1203, I have 25k minimum rounds on my OEM barrel, and it just seems to be getting better. It's just as accurate as it's always been, and now comes sparkling clean with a single dry patch down the bore (unless I try to shoot lead).

REL1203
April 13, 2011, 05:38 PM
Both my glocks are 9mm, 3rd Gen G19 and G26 (carry). I am thinking of dropping a LW barrel into the G19, but i dont see a true Drop In for the G26 thats cheap. I havent ventured into lead yet (since my indoor range which i shoot pistols only at does not allow them), so it seems I am gonna be stuck with cheap plated bullets. I dont shoot the G26 much since I want to keep it in good working condition, just maybe 50 rounds a month for training, but the wife can go through an easy 250 rounds through the G19 with out thinking, which is probably pushing it for lead without a cleaning

Sapper771
April 14, 2011, 05:46 AM
I have a LWD barrel for my G17. I originally got the barrel so I could shoot lead bullets through my G17. It has worked great for what I got it for. I dont know if it is any more accurate than my factory barrel. I will more than likely be getting another LWD barrel for my G35.

MrWesson
April 14, 2011, 10:48 AM
I was in a similar situation but not shooting uspsa at the time.

I decided to switch platforms and put the money towards ammo.

I was planning on buying the lone wolf barrels and should be as accurate if not better than your glock barrel but probably not as good as the other aftermarket companies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aftermarket Glock barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!