1858 Remington issues

PDA

jtscuba02
April 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have added another Remington to my stable. I have taken it apart and looked for broken parts and can't find any. The problem is the bolt will not drop and let the cylinder rotate. Anyone got any idea of what the problem is? I searched and can't find anything about it. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "1858 Remington issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hellgate
April 12, 2011, 01:12 AM
Wild guess: maybe the arm of the bolt is not gliding along the cam to drop the bolt. If the two arms are too close together that could happen. Try flaring them apart a little or at least take a bolt from another Remington and see if they are identical in the spacing of the arms. If the arms are pinched together then just pry them a little bit more apart so the left cam contacts the side of the hammer and the right one is against the inside of the frame. Maybe wait for a second opinion before bending anything or have a spare ready in case it breaks.

ElvinWarrior
April 12, 2011, 01:15 AM
jtscuba02,

Check the hand and hand spring for binding, a mis-aligned hand spring, or possibly a broken hand spring. As you know, the hand spring on the hand, is pressure fitted in, and can come loose, mis-allign, and cause binding like what you describe.

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David, "EW"

TheRodDoc
April 12, 2011, 04:12 AM
here is how it works. Drawing was quick and for a Colt but works the same as yours.

Left side drawing the hammer is forward with the cylinder locked by bolt.

Right side part of drawing,
The hammer is being rotated back lifting the bolt leg and as it moves it is unlocking the cylinder and rotating it. To the point where the bolt leg is just ready to slip past the hammer cam and fall re-locking the cylinder at the next chamber. Note that only the leg next to hammer is sitting on hammer cam. The gap between the legs is parallel. That leg must be close enough to hammer to catch on the hammer cam.

The hammer moves a little bit more till the hand stops the hammer travel and at about the same time the trigger slips into the full cock notch in the hammer.

http://www.theroddoctor1.com/1851colt/colthammer.jpg

TheRodDoc
April 12, 2011, 04:21 AM
In this one the trigger has been pulled and the hammer is rotating forward again. To the point where the hammer cam ramp is coming to the bolt leg again. Since the bolt can't move this direction anymore the bolt leg next to the hammer now springs away from hammer and up the cam ramp as the cam slides down past it. Now that leg is sprung over next to the other leg of the bolt. When the hammer rotates ahead farther and the cam is past the bolt leg, the leg springs back to it's original position.

http://www.theroddoctor1.com/1851colt/colthammer2.jpg

Hellgate
April 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
RodDoc showed what I was trying to say only much more eloquently and (literally) illustratively.

Norton Commando
April 12, 2011, 12:46 PM
Great illustrations there TheRodDoc!

Jason

sltm1
April 12, 2011, 12:49 PM
I recently fixed this problem on a friend's colt. The arm of the bolt that engages the cam, had a straight edge across the bottom under the curve. This was keeping the leg from riding back up on the cam. I slightly beveled the flat bottom so that it was higher on the cam side, and removed the sharp edge altogether....problem fixed. Hope that's all that's wrong with yours.

jtscuba02
April 13, 2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks to everybody for the info. I am in the field for the next week and won't have a chance to check the revolver. I will try to get pictures along with the solution. Thanks again!

Chazz
April 13, 2011, 09:51 PM
I would look at the trigger bolt spring 1st, it could be bent or wedge in wrong locking up the cylinder bolt. then from there check everything else...

If you enjoyed reading about "1858 Remington issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!