problems with ordering caps from Dixie Gun Works

PDA

Busyhands94
April 11, 2011, 10:33 PM
hello everybody. on the first of April i ordered two tins of percussion caps from Dixie Gun Works. well, they arrived today (the 11th of April) safely at my doorstep. however one problem...I ORDERED TWO AND ONLY GOT ONE!!!! when i cut open the package i noticed that there was not two tins, but one tin of CCI #11 magnum caps. that is a problem. i tore open the rest of the package and scoured the remains for a second tin but it was nowhere to be found. however i found my order receipt and took a look at it. it says they cannot ship more than one tin at a time and so the other tin was canceled from my order. BUMMER!!! :banghead: so in case you are thinking about stocking up on caps from DGW beware that ordering more than one tin is not possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "problems with ordering caps from Dixie Gun Works" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
April 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
With DGW located in Tennessee and you out there in the kommiefornicators republik you're lucky they sent you any at all....

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'm sitting on 20,000 and If I could I would get some to you. I'm in Kansas City
Here is the cheapest place I know. Click on primers, then CCI.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

arcticap
April 11, 2011, 11:14 PM
One time I opened up a brand new sealed clamshell pack of Remington caps that only contained about 40 caps instead of 100.

Busyhands94
April 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
thank you for the link sir! i might just have to buy my caps there next time!

Busyhands94
April 11, 2011, 11:29 PM
and yes Gentleman of the Charcoal, when it arrived i was kinda surprised they got here ok, i half expected to not receive it. however in ************ BP guns and black powder accessories are still legal to ship and receive through the mail (thank God) however getting black powder is a whole other story. finding BP in ************ is about as easy as finding a statue of Mohammad made from bacon in Mecca. however it is rather easy to make it, so i figure why bother buying it at expensive prices when i can simply make my own in the comfort and privacy of my own home.

fogg64
April 12, 2011, 12:18 AM
Busyhands94
I don't know which part of CA you are in but I get my BP from a shop in Auburn. I just bought some #11 CCI caps at the Sportsman Warehouse in Roseville for $4.99, sure beats anything on the net especially when you add in the HazMat and shipping.

Busyhands94
April 12, 2011, 12:39 AM
there was no haz-mat fees, only a $7.99 shipping fee. however they charge too much for shipping, i would rather just find myself a local source for black powder and black powder accessories in the bay area.

Tinpan58
April 12, 2011, 01:14 AM
Sorry to hear about the caps, hope cabelas dose not have the same policy I have bought up all the remington #10 I can find and am down to my last 1000, every one only carries cci around here, as for black powder if you live in so. cal, Angeles shooting range sells goex.

ElvinWarrior
April 12, 2011, 01:41 AM
Busy,

As a fellow Californicator, I'm surprised your not using the toy plastic caps, which are alot cheaper, and work perfectly well, or, making your own with the Tap-O-Cap, also offered by our esteemed friend in Tennessee, DGW.

Give these a try, they are cheap as all heck, they fit down on a standard #11 nipple very securely. Because they are made from flexible plastic, they are water tight !!! (What a Deal !!!)

These are a whopping $0.74 Cents a pack !!!

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/ElvinWarrior/8ShotRingCaps-074.jpg

Or, you can really splurge on the "Deluxe ones for $1.89 a pack.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/ElvinWarrior/12shotRingCaps-189.jpg

Or, these middle of the road ones for $1.35 a pack. I don't even bother to snip off the tabs, they make for easy removal !!!

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/ElvinWarrior/13ShotStripCaps-135.jpg

These caps are available from a wide number of different toy cap gun distributors online, but here is one, "More Toy Guns" who has a wide selection of all kinds of things.

http://www.moretoyguns.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=b482ef9a67964d08f32c0d9b723e0b68&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=4T&Category_Code=cap110

Have FUN with it !!!

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David, "EW"

Busyhands94
April 12, 2011, 02:01 AM
this is actually my very first tin of percussion caps. i have been buying the plastic ones for a long time, i simply wanted to try out the caps made for black powder shooting. they are not working too good in my Remington rider derringer. it takes up to 7 smacks of the hammer to set off the cap. with the plastic kind they never misfire. also the plastic ones won't jam up the action of a revolver! and if they are not strong enough to set off your main charge you can empty the powder out of another cap and put it in the cap you intend to use, then put the paper back on the powder. when i was younger i used to take the powder out of caps and make little globe torpedoes and cherry bombs. i found that if you squeeze the sides of the cap the powder just falls out. if you do this over a folded piece of paper you can get it into the other cap easier.

ElvinWarrior
April 12, 2011, 02:57 AM
Busy,

I would just stick with the plastic ones, the toy gun guys need your business alot more than Remington, or CCI does !!! Besides, the metal ones are a pain in the ol... (Well, you know where...)... They fit poorly, even when "pinched" they still sometimes fall off, and when they go off, on many types of revolvers, they get jammed into the cylinder mechanisms quite a bit, talk about a pisser !!! To say nothing about those "capper" tools, which are just about worthless on most revolvers, I end up using my fingers anyways, I only carry the capper around as a way to keep a few caps in my pocket, more easily accessable than in my possibles bag. Mostly, I have converted over to the plastic caps, except when I have my guns in a display case, sitting there, looking pretty, then I do dress them up a bit with the copper caps, or, on my small pocket revolvers, which have such tight spacing on them, that sometimes many of the plastic cap tabs have to be snipped off for clearance reasons.

Overall, I would say the plastic caps are SUPERIOR to the metal ones in several ways. They are just a teency bit undersized, but, they are flexible, and seat down easily and SNUGLY onto the nipple. Because they seat down so snugly, they form a water-tight seal, something the metal caps CANNOT do, unless you are using one of the guns that uses a shotgun primer. And, the IN-LINE types of caps, have these little tabs on the sides, perfect for pulling them off when done.

Keep America Working... BUY AMERICAN !!! (When possible)

Sincerely,

arcticap
April 12, 2011, 03:15 AM
they are not working too good in my Remington rider derringer. it takes up to 7 smacks of the hammer to set off the cap.

Any idea why?
If the gun has been dry fired a real lot then the nipple cone may be damaged or battered and causing the caps to not seat right. So maybe the cone needs to be dressed so that the caps will fit it better. Not every cone is perfect from the factory, nor does every brand or size of cap fit right.
Is the hammer strike too weak?

Busyhands94
April 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
i don't dry fire it too often, the spring is pretty dang strong. i don't think the nipple is at all damaged, it seems fine to me. however the hammer only swings about 1/4 of an inch before it meets the cap, that might have something to do with it. i think i will just stick with the plastic ones for now, they seem to have enough power to ignite any charge, if i load the pistol with one cap and no powder i can shoot a pointed lead pellet through a pop can (you buy these things in toy stores lol) and not to mention they are infinitely cheaper than the copper kind.

btz
April 12, 2011, 07:49 PM
I've ordered 300 percussion caps at a time from dixie with no problems..

when you get your NAA you'll probably want to be using remington percussion caps 'cause they're thinner and allow the tiny cylinder to actually rotate

Busyhands94
April 12, 2011, 08:41 PM
if rotation proves to be a problem i might trim a little off the cap with a toenail clipper or some small scissors or maybe even use the plastic caps you can buy at a grocery store with no age restrictions. another good reason to use the plastic ones! if you are a little 7 year old boy you could go buy 50 packs of them if you want, and they are cheap and waterproof once on the nipple too! oh, did i mention no cap fragments to impale your wrist?

arcticap
April 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
i have been buying the plastic ones for a long time, i simply wanted to try out the caps made for black powder shooting. they are not working too good in my Remington rider derringer. it takes up to 7 smacks of the hammer to set off the cap. with the plastic kind they never misfire.

Some of the buyer reviews on Dixiegun indicate a similar problem with their Rider Derringer not being able to reliably ignite percussion caps.
Reading this would make it appear that there may be a defect with your gun.
You already know that plastic caps work, but maybe you don't realize the reason why regular percussion caps won't work right. So it's probably not the fault of the CCI caps at all.
Maybe Pedersoli will send you the parts to fix your gun if you contact them about it. Fixing your gun will allow it to fire either type of cap equally well.
Most of the buyers did not indicate that there was any problem with their Rider pistol igniting percussion caps, only some of their guns won't.

One buyer posted several comments linked from the same product page:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2034&osCsid=8818f0ab707ffba8171eb9d269e5cd8a

I have tracked down the ignition problem with these pistols. The nipples are too short. If you trim off about 1/32" off the skirt of the cap, they work every time. I made a die and punch that rolls up the rim of the caps before I use them. Pedersoli should do a better job.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_reviews_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2034&reviews_id=1710&osCsid=8818f0ab707ffba8171eb9d269e5cd8a

Then he later posted:

I finally wised up and emailed Davide Pedersoli. They immediately sent me a new receiver or bolt, and the pistol now functions flawlessly. Works great from about 15 feet, although indoor shooting will require some sort of bullet trap.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_reviews_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2034&reviews_id=1735&osCsid=8818f0ab707ffba8171eb9d269e5cd8a

A couple of other buyers had similar ignition problems that are linked to another product page:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2032&osCsid=8818f0ab707ffba8171eb9d269e5cd8a

this "pistol" was sent to me with no front sight, and would NOT fire a number 11 cap...

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_reviews_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2032&reviews_id=805&osCsid=8818f0ab707ffba8171eb9d269e5cd8a

beautiful piece, smart design, cool, but dosent always fire. to get mine to fire on the first pull i must hold the the hammer back and then pull the trigger a real fun piece to shoot (when mine does shoot)

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_reviews_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2032&reviews_id=861&osCsid=8818f0ab707ffba8171eb9d269e5cd8a

Tomahawk674
April 12, 2011, 11:33 PM
Is there a place I can buy percussion caps without the hazmat fee?

ElvinWarrior
April 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
Tomahawk,

What hazmat fee??? I order caps from Dixie in TN all the time, and they ship them out to me in CA with no hazmat fee at all.

Perhaps there is some special regulation in your state, and I would have no idea how to go about researching that one, except, call the post office and ask them.

If you buy the toy plastic caps, which work perfectly well, I am sure that being a "child safe" toy, they have no fees associated with them even in restrictive states.

If you are unfamiliar with the toy plastic caps, used by many toy cap guns, scroll up, I give a web page, and some sample pics up above.

Sincerely,

Busyhands94
April 13, 2011, 12:13 AM
and also how many grocery stores do you know that sell percussion caps? probably very few. how many grocery stores do you know that sell percussion caps to minors? none. how many grocery stores sell plastic caps? just about every Safeway.

arcticap
April 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
How do they work with Pyrodex, 777 or forms of pellets?
How do they hold up to heat and nipple back blast?
How much thicker is the top surface and would that affect nipple clearance with some revolvers that have close tolerances between the nipple and recoil shield?

I wouldn't expect that they would have as many universal applications as percussion caps.
And for little cost, a person can always give them a try to see if they work with their gun[s].
But not everyone uses the easier igniting black powder.
And if plastic caps are perceived as not fitting as well after the nipples become dirty or fouled, working as well with the sub powders or if there are other reliability and function issues, then most folks probably wouldn't consider switching from using their favorite brand[s] of percussion caps.

Tomahawk674
April 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
I wasn't talking about buying from Dixie without a hazmat fee, I see that they list a one tin of 100 per customer limit. If I call them will they let me buy more?

I was asking if there was any other place that sold without a hazmat fee, since Cabelas and MidwayUSA and Powdervalley have it.

ElvinWarrior
April 14, 2011, 08:14 AM
Tomahawk,

to my knowledge, everyone who sells percussion caps, sells them without a hazmat fee, to my knowledge. I have purchased caps from Cabela's many times, the thing I like about Cabela''s is that with most brands, like CCI or Remington, they will sell to you in 10 packs, or 1000 caps per 10 pack. And they give you a pretty large price break when you purchase in 10 packs too, dropping the price down from about $7.95/tin to about $4.40/tin.

The hazmat fee generally only applies to bulk powders, like BP, BP substitutes, smokeless powders, and some chemicals used in the making of pyrotechnical explosives and propellants. There is such a small amount of explosive in the caps, that I don't think any caps require a hazmat fee. This may be the reasoning behind Dixies new rule, which is news to me, the feds may be putting down limits on the shipment of caps now as well, as we speak. 100 or less, fine, more... make your check payable to Uncle Sam Suckers !!!

Articap,

I am not sure how the plastic caps work with the BP substitutes, I only use traditional BP myself, and I do a lil trick with my muzzle loaders as opposed to my revolvers. With my actual single/double shot ball/conical/mini down the barrel loads, I "prime" the bottom of the barrel with 5gr of priming powder, 4FG, and then reduce the main charge on top by 5gr to compensate. This seems to set off even the really big bores of 69 to 71 just fine using the crappy lil toy cap gun caps... but,I also prime my flints with actual flash powder, not 4FG BP, which I get from one of the pyro places like SkyLighter... I'm a stickler for trying to "make it better". By the way, in case anyone is looking for flash paper to use in making paper cartridges, commonly referred to as "nitrated" paper. The pyro places that sell the flash powders also carry the flash papers, AND, gun-cotton too !!! (Nitrated cotton)... I like to wad down a tuft of gun cotton, on top of my charge, when I am muzzleloading mini balls down the barrel, to seperate the charge from the base of the mini-ball and keep the barrel lube from soaking into the powder. with the pyrodex pellets, I have no clue, but, you might try one or more of my tricks, using a small amount of priming powder, or a small tuft of gun cotton, to use as an ignitor, that should fix it if there are any ignition problems with the pellets.

Actually, I use a mix of 50/50 flash powder to 4Fg BP as my flintlocck priming powder, not pure flash powder, which gives off a really BIG FLASH !!!

As far as how the plastic caps hold up as opposed to the metal caps... Well, ummm, when you slam the hammer down on a metal cap, the darn thing usually splits open, and sometimes gets jammed between the cyclinder and something else... So... ummm... who cares???

BusyHands...

They may sell the plastic gun caps openly at the safeway where you live, but where I live, in Los Angeles, they even lock up the matches behind the counter with the cigarettes now !!! One place I go to actually has a locking case for the home remedies, like cough meds and aspirin and such !!! Now keep in mind, the City of Los Angeles are the same clowns who have outlawed private fireworks displays as well, but, many cities in LA County still sell, and fire them off, all around them !!! LOL !!!

Christ, pretty soon they will have metal detectors and pat down searches required to enter a store !!!!

Sincerely,

Busyhands94
April 14, 2011, 04:31 PM
lol, they really lock up the matches? i think they might be a little bit more lenient about caps being that they are generally used for children's toys (or so they think)

4v50 Gary
April 14, 2011, 04:56 PM
As a leery Californicator, I bought my box of caps years ago and am glad I did. All these rules are so ridiculous. It's not like anyone expects an uprising of percussion rifle armed mobs storming city hall or the capitol building.

Busyhands94
April 14, 2011, 05:17 PM
i think next time i am in Nevada i might get myself a couple thousand percussion caps from Cabelas as well as a few pounds of powder. there are not many places to buy powder in Kommiefornia, however if you go to Cabelas on the edge of Nevada you can buy plenty of black powder guns and black powder accessories.

April 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
Busyhands, now you're getting smart..One more thing you might want to check into if you decide to try the Triple Seven 3fffg. TS7 and the rest of them are a blackpowder SUBSTITUTE and the same rules do not apply EXACTLY since real black powder is classified as a low grade explosive. Of course the HazMat fee will still apply as far as the transportation goes because it is a powder...I could break the rules down for you some but you can research for yourself since that would be far more typing and references and so forth than I feel up to....

Tomahawk674
April 14, 2011, 07:43 PM
ElvinWarrior, please look at the bottom of the page:

http://www.cabelas.com/powder-caps-remington-percussion-caps.shtml

Cabelas considers caps the same as primers, and they charge a hazmat fee no matter what state it is. Same as Midway, same as Powdervalley inc. I have tried checking out in all three and the hazmat fee shows up. These are for boxes of 10 tins and up, I don't know about buying single tins; Dixie is the only place I see that sells by the tin.

arcticap
April 14, 2011, 07:48 PM
I think GTOC is referring to the fact that percussion caps can be shipped along with sub powders for one single Hazmat fee, but caps cannot be shipped with black powder because it's an explosive which has a different classification. In that case there would be 2 separate Hazmat fees.

If buying caps online, then it makes sense for some to buy sub powders at the same time to save on the shipping and Hazmat fees. Plus the prices of the sub powders and caps can be less expensive from vendors like Powder Valley.*

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Thanks for the reminder GOTC! :)
Remember, the notice below is only for sub & smokeless powders, primers and percussion caps.
*They list Remington #10's for $4.40 each.

WE CAN COMBINE UP TO 48 LBS. OF POWDER AND PRIMERS UNDER ONE HAZMAT TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

April 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
No problem Articap. You are right as usual. That is exactly what I meant....

Busyhands94
April 14, 2011, 08:44 PM
would there be any kind of licensing required to bring the powder into the state? God i hope there isn't. the last thing i want is to have to go though some legal stuff especially out of state. however if i am unable to go to Nevada anytime soon i might try finding someone with some powder they would like to trade for. i have plenty of knives and shooting accessories up for trade so it should be pretty easy.

CHM
April 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
Plastic toy caps??? Look out - Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi may try to get those banned next!:cuss:

arcticap
April 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
would there be any kind of licensing required to bring the powder into the state? God i hope there isn't. the last thing i want is to have to go though some legal stuff especially out of state.

20 lbs. of smokeless is legal to possess in CA, but not more than 1 lb. of black. Read the entire post. You can at least have a pound of BP for everyone in the car or household!
Don't let it bother you. New Yorkers are required to display explosives placards on their car if they're transporting it and virtually no one ever does. :cool:

Cap & Ball Revolvers, and, California

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=522243&highlight=california+powder

It would appear to be a felony to have more than a pound of black powder at one time without any license or permit to allow more....
...However it does appear that black powder substitutes fall under the smokeless powder limit, which is 20 pounds under the law.
You can have up to 20 pounds of all smokeless powders combined. But only 1 pound of black powders combined without a license to legally store more.

You can buy much more at a time, because the law does not say someone cannot sell more than 1 pound, it simply says they must have a permit to possess more than 1 pound.

Shultzhaus
April 15, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'm lucky to live in Pennsylvania. Lots of sources for all supplies within 50 miles of Lancaster. Cabela is 51 miles, and I always look for an excuse to go to the big "candy store".

If you enjoyed reading about "problems with ordering caps from Dixie Gun Works" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!