Comments on Para Ordnance pistols...

PDA

Adam
January 10, 2004, 04:16 PM
I really like the idea of highly modernized 1911 style pistol in.45ACP (I think I like the way that 1911 looks,it fits like a glove in my hand, and I feel something special about history of this pistol, but I like the mix with new technology too). I know that Kimber also make similar handguns, but from what I understand Para is the only producer who still work with 1911 platform and make some interesting modifications. I want one of such pistols for me (and maybe for my wife too) in future after intensive training with 9mm Para for example. I know that in US we can rent some 1911 and shoot and shoot and shoot. But I'm more interested in your experience with Para. I heard about good trigger. Any other good experience? Something what we should avoid (I think about single stack versions in 45ACP only)? Thank you.
Ps. Take a look...
http://www.paraord.com/pages/pxtspecs.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Comments on Para Ordnance pistols..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
January 10, 2004, 05:00 PM
I have two. Both are the double stack hi cap guns. One is the full size P-14 .45 ACP and the other is the P-16 .40 S&W caliber. I love them both and feel that they are great guns. Both are quite accurate, completely reliable and a lot of fun to shoot. BTW, neither are the new LDA types. I have no complaints whatsoever.

yesterdaysyouth
January 10, 2004, 05:05 PM
once you get here you can come up and shoot with us and try 1911's from para, s&w, sti, and some customs from nowlin and rock river if you wish....

the lda trigger is something else, i love it... i had some problems with the sights on my lda745, and i ended up taking matters into my own hands... but the service center guys were cool enough to polish the slide and lighten the trigger for free...

if you can get .45 cheap in poland, i suggest you bring plenty with you....
:D

Drakejake
January 10, 2004, 05:07 PM
I have a 14-45 which I have taken out to the range twice. I like it very much. I have had no jams or misfires. The gun is accurate. I like the trigger, which is short but requires a little pressure to fire. I think this is safer than a feather-light trigger. The stainless finish is very well done. The hi-cap mags work fine. I have a 12-45 on the way.

Drakejake

jercamp45
January 10, 2004, 06:48 PM
I got it because my security commision stated that I had to carry a DAO or DA w/decocker. So, I could not carry my prefered Colts(then, can now).
What a sweet pistol!! What a sweet trigger!!!!
Last time I shot 358 out of 360. once I cleared 100 percent! So, yes, it is accurate!
Reliable too, as long as you do your part.....cleaning, lube, change the recoil spring after 1000 rds or so. Oh, and chuck the Para mag for a Wilson...(had to Para mags, neither worked right...no prob with Wilson's).
Feels like my beloved Officer's model. Same ammo, same mags, pouches and holsters.
I carry my Government on duty now, and my LW Officer's off duty on a CCW, but I would not hesitate to put the Companion back into on or off duty holster if needed or desired.
It is and shall remain a vital part of my 1911 collection!!
Jercamp45

Atticus
January 10, 2004, 09:24 PM
I know a couple of serious competitors, who are 1911 freaks, and they have really gotten interested in the latest LDA's. I have a P-14 Ltd. and I'm very happy with it so far. Some of the parts could be higher quality...but then it is a $800 gun not a $1500 one. $700 buys a lot of mag realeases, mag springs, ammo, etc.

Alan Fud
January 10, 2004, 09:32 PM
Owning a few of them ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f116.jpg
... I have to say that they are less then completely reliable fresh out of the box.

WhoKnowsWho
January 10, 2004, 10:30 PM
I have the Para Carry C6.45 LDA that Alan Fud kindly posted a picture of the same. I have had no problems with it though almost 600 rounds. It seems some older posts on the m1911.org forum has complaints about some when they originally came out, but the problems seem to be fixed in mine.

The LDA trigger is very nice, I feel very comfortable with it at the range or carrying it, I believe I can rely on the smooth trigger pull to help me hit my target.

I so far, don't really like the feel of any double stack that I have handled, but I have yet to handle a polymer double stack.

mmay1
January 10, 2004, 11:09 PM
I have the C745 for carry. Light and easy to conceal. It has been totally reliable through nearly 7,500 rounds.

I also have a P14-45 Limited, with the single action trigger, not the LDA. The trigger is light and crisp, which makes it easy to shoot accurately. It has been flawless through about 10,000 rounds. The double stack mag is something I have gotten very comfortable with. Its too large and heavy for me to carry most of the time, but with 14-round mags of .45 it is a real comfort on the bedside table. Adam, it won't fit your hand like a glove, but you can learn to shoot it well. It serves well as a home defense handgun for me and I have other handguns that serve other purposes better.

4thHorseman
January 10, 2004, 11:39 PM
I have a Para Limited P-14.
One word, Jam-o-matic!:cuss:

Fed168
January 11, 2004, 12:28 AM
A fellow shooter is sending his LDA single stack and his P-18 back to the factory. The LDA just doesn't function, and he was told that the mags need to be fitted to the gun. The P-18 mag floorplates broke before any serious use, and there are some other issues with the function as well.

Sean Smith
January 11, 2004, 12:36 AM
I have a Para Limited P-14.
One word, Jam-o-matic!

My P14-45 was the same way. Now I only recommend Para-Ordnance to people I don't like. :D

Radagast
January 11, 2004, 06:32 AM
I had a Para P16, which admittedly I bought second hand, and it had been weel abused. It was a POS that failed to feed, failed to extract, failed to work the slide etc.
'Custom gunsmithing' it made it worse.

I recommend STI to those after a hi cap frame 1911. I shoot IPSC, I've seen a bunch of broken Paras, no STIs.

Ken

Atticus
January 11, 2004, 12:07 PM
I'm curious about the jam-o-matics. Were any of you able to identify the cause(s) of the problems you experienced?

Sean Smith
January 11, 2004, 12:13 PM
Para-Ordnance couldn't. I sold it for scrap parts.

Adam
January 11, 2004, 12:19 PM
Thank you friends. Really interesting. I like the C7.45 for carry, but as always every producer do some "lemons". I like SIG 220 too, but this 1911 look.....uhmmm. I love it.

4thHorseman
January 11, 2004, 01:46 PM
Sean, I didn't think about selling mine as spare parts. I took a licking on the price when I sold it. I sold it to a friend and told him how much it jammed and I couldn't fix it even after all I tried. I lost $300 on it. Getting rid of the frustration was worth it to me.
I would never fire it because how much it would make me mad, so it just sat in the safe gathering dust.
I woun't sell a gun to someone knowing it jams without telling them about it.

dairycreek
January 11, 2004, 10:26 PM
FYI the 1911 forum (http://1911forum.com/) has an excellent section on Para Ordnance. When I was shopping for one I found the information there really helpful. FWIW. Good shooting;)

7.62FullMetalJacket
January 11, 2004, 11:35 PM
P14-45 limited ss. 7 yrs. ~5,000 rounds. Not even a trip to the smith. No issues. Great gun. Actually my go-to gun :D

Kentucky Rifle
January 12, 2004, 11:33 AM
I nearly bought it too. However, the shop owner and I have a pretty good friendship going...and I'll tell you exactly what he told me. "Will, sometimes you get a great Para and you're happy. Other times you get one that is a complete dud". I didn't buy the Para after he said that.

KR

Sunray
January 12, 2004, 01:40 PM
"...One word, Jam-o-matic..." Change ammo or mags. Or have somebody else shoot it to see if it's your relaxing your wrist.
And it's awful decent of you guys to be supporting Canadian industry by buying Paras. They're made just outside of Toronto. Too big for my hand though. At least the few I've seen.

Sean Smith
January 12, 2004, 01:58 PM
Change ammo or mags. Or have somebody else shoot it to see if it's your relaxing your wrist.

Mine failed with several brands of high-qualitiy factory ball ammo and 4 different magazines (all Para-Ordnance, 10 and 14 rounders). And no, it wasn't limp-wristing either. The gun sucked.

bountyhunter
January 12, 2004, 02:26 PM
I'm curious about the jam-o-matics. Were any of you able to identify the cause(s) of the problems you experienced?

I can tell you what I learned getting my 1640 to cycle. Para barrel throats are rotary milled and pretty rough when new. The bullet nose will dig into the rotary milling lines and hang. Polishing fixes this. Mine also required rounding over the top of the feed ramp because the round couldn't get over it without hanging frequently. The extractors are not well finished, and will also hang the round trying to feed up. Mine took a lot of polishing and tweaking, but it cycles pretty well now.

Until I bought some new ammo that apparrently isn't crimped as tight as some. Last time I shot it I had two rounds jammed where the bullet was driven about 1/4" back into the case. On mine, the feed angle is too flat and the nose has to hit the ramp and get deflected up at a pretty steep angle. This ammo is having a problem there. All in all, it does not feed as smoothly as it should because of the design of the mags and the gun.

Atticus
January 12, 2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks Bountyhunter.
I've only put 300-400 rounds through mine so far....but it's run without a hitch. I do find that it will not load the first round reliably when using the slide release - so now I slingshot it.

Okiecruffler
January 12, 2004, 04:28 PM
I had a Para P10 that when I first got it was the biggest aggrevation I've ever run across. Would even jam with hardball every other other mag. But then I sat down and polished the whole thing up (first pistol I ever fluffed and buffed) and after that it was 100% reliable. Not sure why a $700 pistol can't come from the factory fluffed and buffed. Finally got rid of it because I couldn't get comfortable with carrying cocked and locked ( I know, I'm a wennie), but I'm looking at those DAO models now. If only I had 2 nickles to rub together.

Smoke
January 12, 2004, 05:40 PM
2 - P14.45 Limited SA
1 - P14.45 LDA (sold it)

No hiccups other than a busted mag catch. Have about 10K total throught the 3 guns. Most (6K+) through one of the Limiteds.

I love my Para's.

Smoke

If you enjoyed reading about "Comments on Para Ordnance pistols..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!