Walmart Shotgun ammo

PDA

mrbladedude
April 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
I was wondering what the price is for shotgun ammo at walmart and do they offfer various different loads like slugs , buckshot, etc? I called them up but the person on the phone just kept saying "ya we got dat, dat shotgun bullets"...He didnt know what a slug was. Im at work now or I would take a drive over there. Also what brands do they usually have and how many rounds come in a pack? Looking to break in my new shotgun so just looking for the best prices on shottie ammo.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Walmart Shotgun ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIVETWOSEVEN
April 12, 2011, 03:52 PM
For 12 gauge they have birdshot, slugs, and buckshot. The best deal that they have IMO is the $8 something for 15 slugs value pack.

Single Action Six
April 12, 2011, 03:54 PM
I was wondering what the price is for shotgun ammo at walmart and do they offfer various different loads like slugs , buckshot, etc? I called them up but the person on the phone just kept saying "ya we got dat, dat shotgun bullets"...He didnt know what a slug was. Im at work now or I would take a drive over there. Also what brands do they usually have and how many rounds come in a pack? Looking to break in my new shotgun so just looking for the best prices on shottie ammo.

Thanks

Sorry I can't help you with Wally World, but I have found Dick's Sporting Goods has always had various shotgun shells (12 & 20) regularly on sale at $4.98 per box of 25.

You might want to check them out if one's in your neighborhood.

Single Action Six

JoeMal
April 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
I would just drive over and check it out. Nearly all stores have a different selection of ammo, so me telling you what my WM has might not do you much good. I know mine sells Federal brand slugs...not sure about others I don't usually buy slugs there

oneounceload
April 12, 2011, 05:09 PM
wally world has promo packs for clays - typically about $23/4 boxes. Mine carries slugs, but i can't tell you the price, I have no need to buy them - but those are behind the counter with the pistol ammo

Chance55
April 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
My store is like oneounces, about $23.00 for a 4 box carton of Winchester 1 1/8 oz. # 7 1/2 shot. Or $4.67 for single box's of Federal 1oz. #8 shot.

C55

oneounceload
April 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have never seen Dick's with 4.98 for boxes of 25 -I HAVE seen boxes of game loads that are 20/box for that price

lobo9er
April 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
8.95 box of winchester super x or remington green box Slugs. I go with the Super X. Always seem to work great for me and the deer dont notice i dont spen $15 for a box of 5.

Gottahaveone
April 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
...I have found Dick's Sporting Goods has always had various shotgun shells...
My experience with Dick's has proven that for the most part, they are. They're also overpriced. As far as wally world, all 3 local ones have a pretty decent selection of shotgun ammo at pretty decent prices. As was mentioned earlier, the 15rnd Slugger value packs are a good way to go. Just make sure you verify what the clerk hand's you. Twice I've asked for 12ga and he has put 20ga in the bag. I always look before I leave the counter.....

terryknight
April 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
what my walmart carries depends on the season. during hunting season you can find just about anything you want from winchester of remington. during the non hunting season picking are much slimmer. I have also heard that the ammo from walmart is a different quality than from other stores - ie the same brand and load at walmart is manufactured to a lower quality than that at the local sporting goods store

oneounceload
April 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
Dick's normal prices are your basic retail prices, but they do have a tendency to put Remington's, especially the Gun Clubs, on sale about every three weeks for decent prices - and the GC's reload great

Chance55
April 12, 2011, 09:25 PM
Damn, All this time I thought I was getting a good deal because Wally could buy in greater volumes for less money and pass it along to the customer now I find out the manufactures build inferior ammo just for Walmart. Man I am so dissapointed. :D

C55

denster
April 12, 2011, 09:42 PM
Don't believe the BS. Wal-Mart Winchester and Remington and all other brand names is the same ammo you buy any other place. The only difference is price. End of story.

Old Unc'
April 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
I buy Remington Target Loads from Bass Pro Shops for $5.49 a box. 12's and 20's in either 7-1/2 or 8's. I also buy Walmart Federals but most of the time you can only get 7-1/2's there...

JoeMal
April 12, 2011, 11:28 PM
I also buy Walmart Federals but most of the time you can only get 7-1/2's there...I buy the Winchester Super Targets at Walmart. At 5.96 per 25/box, they are slightly more expensive per 100 (by like $3), but you can get them in the lighter 7/8oz. and also find them in #8s or even #9s. My shoulder doesn't mind the extra $3 in price ;)

Old Unc'
April 12, 2011, 11:32 PM
good to know, thanks... :)

Chance55
April 13, 2011, 12:47 AM
There is know doubt in my mind Walmart ammo is just as good quality as anyone elses. We go through a 100 - 200 rounds every Sunday and not one failure.

JoeMal, Thanks for the heads up on the Super Targets. I will have to look for them next time I am in the store. My wife likes the lighter loads, me to sometimes.:eek:

Old Unc'
April 13, 2011, 12:53 AM
nothing at all wrong with it. I love the 100 pack Federals they sell...

1stmarine
April 13, 2011, 12:58 AM
I don't got to walmart even if it was for $2/box.
They sold the USA to china and we are supporting them.
Buy US made and buy in your local stores. Support the small gun shops, small businesses and your neighbors.

Logger
April 13, 2011, 12:58 AM
In my town, we have two WalMart SuperCenters, both the same size.

One has a lot more scopes, ammo & guns than the the other, and even has a fairly good stock of reloading equipment and supplies, including bullets, powder, brass, hulls and wads. They carry everything but primers, in fact. Clearly all WalMarts are not the same.

Link Jones
April 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
Wally World has Winchester & Federal Value packages of 12 & 20 Ga 8/7.5's 100 rounds for $22 apx. However NO 16 gauge promo ammo, even if it is listed in their inhouse catalogue. They have a large variety of 28 gauge than 16 gauge (only high brass #6's]. Same situation at Dick's. For Cowboy Action Shooting, I have no complaints about the value packs. it's just that I have two old 16 gauge shotguns that I don't want to retire and would like to annoy doves and rabbits this year.

Life is Uncertain. Eat dessert First!

mrbladedude
April 13, 2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will have to stop by later today and check it out.

evan price
April 13, 2011, 04:08 AM
Last year Dick's had Remington Gun Clubs in the 25-shell boxes for $49 per flat, so I bought up 5 flats. The Gun Club hulls and wads seem to me to be superior to other styles of shells out there.
My perennial favorite is Winchester Super-Target. I like the flight-control-style wads (Similar to the Remington Gun Clubs) and they pattern well in my guns.

One brand that I found I dislike is sold for $49 a flat at the local big gun store. The wad is nothing more than a flat piece of plastic that is wrapped like a cup around the pellets. They smell funny and are dirty. They are the Federal Field and Range lead target shotshells in the silver box with the medal on the front.
http://www.melcottons.com/prodimages/13520-DEFAULT-M.jpg

I'd not buy them again.

mrbladedude
April 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
I just paid $3.17 for 25 rounds of 2 3/4 12 GA game rounds. Im guessing thats birdshot?
5 slugs cost me $5.72. Not too happy about paying $1 per slug. Is that the cheapest price? They where remingtons and 1oz weight

oneounceload
April 22, 2011, 03:54 PM
Remember something on those Winchester 7/8 Universals - they are fast at 1350 fps, so the recoil is still there - I don't like them personally - I find they thump my shoulder harder than a decent 1oz target load

mr_goodbomb
April 22, 2011, 04:07 PM
I don't got to walmart even if it was for $2/box.
They sold the USA to china and we are supporting them.
Buy US made and buy in your local stores. Support the small gun shops, small businesses and your neighbors.

It's already happened, and there's not changing it. We're not getting our production houses back to par when shop owners can't compete and don't want to, and the average citizen is used to their prices, especially when it comes to consumer goods, and especially when everyone is already having money trouble and merchandise is already expensive comparative to the average wage and cost of living. Their ammo IS US, if it's a brand that's producing US stuff for every other store, because it's the same product. Paying more just to say "not my fault" is pretty pointless.

Dr Dave
April 23, 2011, 12:31 PM
This website searches dozens of sites and reports all the shotgun ammo it finds. It does pistol and rifle ammo too. And all the stores are in America.

http://ammoseek.com/

withdrawn34
April 23, 2011, 06:16 PM
Various birdshot loads; buck is generally limited to Remington Express 00 Buck, regular and magnum, and Remington Express "Slugger" slugs.

They work fine, although the sluggers seem to be quite "smoky." I fired four of them in a row last time i went to the range, and smoked up a good part of the range for about 20-30 seconds until the ventilation system could clear it out of there. I hope I didn't scare any of the newbies on the range that day.

lobo9er
April 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
This website searches dozens of sites and reports all the shotgun ammo it finds. It does pistol and rifle ammo too. And all the stores are in America.

all the walmarts i have been to have been in america also. And employ hundreds of americans.
Little off topic but shopping at dicks is no different than shopping at walmart. The chinese stuff at dicks is the same chinese stuff at walmart except it cost a bit more. between any chain its lowest price that gets my business.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walmart Shotgun ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!