Range Report: Springfield XD-9 Subcompact

PDA

DigMe
January 10, 2004, 04:50 PM
Today I went to Targetmaster Gun store and range in Dallas (visiting grandparents here) to shoot my XD-9 sub that I bought from TechTeam for the first time. The experience was, in a word, sweet. Wow...what a gun!

This gun is very accurate right out of the box. I shot WWB, CCI Blazer and Rem. GS9MMB through it all without a hitch and all as accurate as my hand and eyes would allow me to. I still need practice hitting the 25yd shots but then again it was my first time in an indoor range and it felt pretty different not having that sunlight - also my first time shooting a subcompact. Good practice though and I need variety. Doubtful that I'll ever need to make a 25yd shot with my CCW anyway but it's good to know that I can hit center mass with that little sub if need be.

I was very satisfied with the trigger and the handling as well. I could get it back on target very quickly and double taps are a breeze. I just can't say enough how glad I am that I got one of these. Now I know what all the hype is about! The only thing that it doesn't do better than my other pistol is I'm a bit slower on the draw from my IWB holster with the shortened grip length but I expect to equalize that through practice eventually. The gun fits me very well and it's just about the right size so I can just fit my pinky on it and shoot well without the need for a grip extension. I do have small hands though. With the baby Glocks my pinky dangles off or I have to hold it under the mag (never shot one...just held it).

I was all smiles while I was shooting it though. Especially as I glanced over at the next guy's target and saw his huge groups from his .38 snubby and then looked back at my tight little 9mm groups. Yes! :D

brad cook

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: Springfield XD-9 Subcompact" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kilroy
January 10, 2004, 08:18 PM
Just got home with mine. Neat little gun. I think I will be able to take it apart as it has things in common with some of the ones I already work on.

I have a Sparks IWB for it already, plus some Fobus gear.

Looking forward to shooting it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: Springfield XD-9 Subcompact" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!