First Poofer

PDA

BigN
April 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Ok, I got my first Poofer today. You guys probably call them something else but that's what it sounds like to me, so I'm calling them Poofers. My female shooting companion said the factory 38's were a bit stiff. I reloaded some with a very light load. Around 6 gr of Unique over a 125 jhc bullet. They were going poof and I didn't like the sound of it. She shot three cylinders full and then one in particular did a very light poof and I said don't shoot again! Good thing, the lead is stuck in the barrel which leads me to my question. How do I get it out without hurting/scraping the inside of the barrel? If it matters, it's a GP100 38/357 Mag, 6" barrel. Luckily we were there alone and didn't suffer the embarrassment of it all...

If you enjoyed reading about "First Poofer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
osteodoc08
April 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
Wooden dowel and tap it out with a hammer

wrangler5
April 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
I keep a brass rod in all my range bags for just this purpose. A 3/8 rod will NOT fit down the bore of a 38/357, but a 5/16 rod will - it's just not as easy to find 5/16 as 3/8. I bought about 6 feet of the stuff when I found it, and cut off 8-9" sections for each range bag. Brass won't hurt a steel barrel, and also won't split from being pounded on. If an end gets smushed over from pounding you can just dress it back to round with an ordinary file.

BCRider
April 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
148gn hollow back wadcutters over 2.9 gn of Bullseye or some equivalent load work VERY nicely and are soft to shoot. If this load still bothers her then she needs a .22.

I may be off base but I believe that the unjacketed lead bullets need less of a charge to come out with enough speed to reach the targets more easily. You may want to check that out.

Drail
April 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
A wooden dowel will cause a minor problem to turn into a nightmare if it breaks. Go to the hardware store and buy some brass rod stock and make a rod for all of your handguns. Choose a size that almost fills the bore diameter. Radius the corners on both ends. Keep it in your range gear bag.

Waywatcher
April 12, 2011, 09:56 PM
Wow, 6 grains Unique under 125 jacketed aint exactly "poof" loads. My data shows it right at max for .38 Special. Are you 100% positive of your load?

Try some lead bullets for light loads maybe?

W.E.G.
April 12, 2011, 09:59 PM
Brass rod and hammer

osteodoc08
April 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
Have used an oak dowel twice. No issues, but I can definitely see how a brass rod would be 'mo betta'

Funny how blackpowder ramrods were made of wood back in the day. Come to think of it, my blackpowder rifles ramrod is wood and I've never had an issue with it, then again that stuck bullet is a little tighter fit than a patch and ball

isc
April 12, 2011, 10:04 PM
When a bullet gets lodged in the barrel it's called a squib round.

BigN
April 13, 2011, 05:08 AM
All great replies/solutions, thanks for the advice. I was using a dipper and wasn't really paying attention to the load, since they were very light. Must just have not gotten the dipper full enough on that one :-) I'll pick up some brass rods today and fix her up.

451 Detonics
April 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
6 grains of Unique under a 125 grain bullet is considered a +P load at about 1100 fps out of a 6 inch barrel, Alliant shows that as a max load. Have you weighed what your dipper is actually throwing?

BigN
April 13, 2011, 05:52 PM
I generally weigh each round on a digital scale but these were very light (i thought) and so I just wasn't paying attention. I figured if they weren't exactly on the grain so what, they were light anyway. I'm thinking that it wasn't even 6 grains of Unique, must have been something smaller. I picked up a few brass rods today and cut them, filed them, and pounded the bullet out. I'll weigh each one from now on. Maybe I'll just get her a 25 and call it a day.

Waywatcher
April 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
.38 Specials using 158 grain lead and ~4 grains of Trail Boss are great safe low-recoil rounds in my .357, give them a try!

I save jacketed bullets for .357 loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Poofer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!