Cooper Phoenix rifle should I buy

PDA

jbkebert
April 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
Like the title says. I have a chance to buy a Cooper firearms Phoenix rifle chambered in .223 rem. Gun has been gently used and shoots like a dream. Comes with approx 100 rounds of loaded ammo. From a loader than I trust, brass, load data, test targets. This rifle retails for approx $1,500. I could buy it for $900.

Now the catch I have now purchased 4 guns in the last 30 days and I think my wifes sense of humor is about gone. Granted the guns purchased were for use by the kids more than myself. Its a hell of a good price should I jump on it.

The .223 rem is a decent round but does really nothing to impress me. Would make for a nice plinker, prarie dog or yote rifle. Other than that it really would have no use for me. Whats a boy to do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cooper Phoenix rifle should I buy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
788Ham
April 13, 2011, 12:49 AM
Did you drag it home yet? You'd best jump, if I knew where it was at, it'd be gone already!!! Jump froggie.

avs11054
April 13, 2011, 01:00 AM
I know absolutely nothing about that gun, so I can't comment on that...but four guns in 30 days??????? I've bought four in the last year and my wife is just about ready to learn how to use one of them on me!!!!!!!

steven58
April 13, 2011, 02:11 AM
If it is as you describe it sounds worth it to me. You could always change your mind, sell it later and use the profit to move up the ladder towards something you really want.

Do a check of completed auctions with bids on Gunbroker and see if you can get a line on what is being paid for similar rifles.

I maintain peace in the family by "horse trading" guns. Sell gun A to buy gun B. when the price moves up sell B to buy C. Ex: I bought a Steyr M9 A-1 for $300 in 08. Sold this year for $500 and used that to fund an M1 Garand.

This way I am constantly buying guns but there is relatively little change in the net amount of cash I have put into guns over the years.

However, the collection has grown both in number and value:D

Pistol Ranch
April 13, 2011, 03:31 AM
If its a good deal (and it sounds good) have a friend buy it for you and hide it..this is assuming you have a way to hide the $900 (investment)
If you explain that there is a profit potential, greater than you can get at a bank, you might be able to "sell" it to wifey.

Remember that wives are like coyotes, four guys can stand in plain sight while the 5th sneaks up and gets the shot. As your inventory builds, an extra gun will not be noticed..

P.R.

Jeff F
April 13, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cooper makes a very nice rifle. I just don't like their politics. I myself would not buy new. but I would jump on a deal on a used Cooper rifle.

HOOfan_1
April 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
It isn't "their" politics. It is the former owner's politics. The company kicked the founder out because the customers were not happy. I applaud that move.

Just like Bill Ruger is dead and buried and the company he founded has moved on.

jbkebert
April 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
I have fired the rifle a couple times. The trigger breaks like glass kinda like biting into that one great apple. You barely sink your teeth in and the whole peice just pops off.

If it was chambered in anything but .223 rem I would of already brought it home. My buddy is selling it to fund another gun. Actually another Cooper in .257 Roberts AI. Now I am jealous.

He originally asked me to post the rifle for him here on THR and I still may. He would want a little more for it on-line but would sell to me for the $900. If I were to post on here for sale the gun would be in my possesion until sold.

I will not lie to my wife about purchasing behind her back. Man that never goes over well. The $900 does not bother me so much as the fact that I have a couple hunting trips planned for this fall and a family vacation to pay for. A new Cooper sounds alot better to me than Disney World but I am out voted on the issue.

I could work a weekend or two on some smaller jobs people have called about. A couple windows, new entry door, some storm doors. All things I have put off because I just can't get to a small job during the week.

longdayjake
April 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
just buy it.

joed
April 13, 2011, 01:33 PM
The .223 rem is a decent round but does really nothing to impress me. Would make for a nice plinker, prarie dog or yote rifle. Other than that it really would have no use for me. Whats a boy to do.

I actually harbor a hatred for this cartridge. In my opinion it's a decent cartridge to take to the range but that's about all. Try hunting with it and you learn quickly that it's limited to 200 yards at best.

And no, I don't want to hear how someone is using the 75 gr bullets to hunt Elephants at 1000 yards. The 75 gr bullet and fast twist is not the answer to every shooting situation.

The rifle is a neat rifle and that is an attractive price. Even so, should you try to sell it I doubt you'd get your money back.

But I would pass because of the .223 chambering.

788Ham
April 13, 2011, 02:04 PM
joed,

"Limited to 200 yards at best." Where have you heard this fantasy? I've shot P-dogs all day long at ranges "starting" at 200 yards, out to and including 400 yards, if any of them got away, it was because they were only nicked, my shooting error! No, this round was never intended for a deer or larger animal cartridge, but to make a statement about being limited to 200 yards is total bunk! A lot of coyotes will testify about the abilities of the .223 round also, most will have to be arisen from the dead though!

joed
April 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
788Ham, I tried using the .223 on Groundhogs here in OH. They are probably a little bigger then a large house cat. Using varmint style bullets beyond 200 yards it was hard to get hits. But I'm spoiled, have used a .25-06 and .22-250 for my hunting, just much easier to get hits at 400 and even 500 yards.

I've heard from people telling me how they routinely hit prairie dogs with the .223 at 500 and even 600 yards, I don't believe it. I'd like to make these people an offer to compete against the .22-250 at $10 for every miss. I bet I'd go home with more money then I came with.

The problem I see with the .223 is you have to calculate the drop, and because the bullet is slower you best be good at windage.

But I'm not calling you a liar. I'd believe 400 with a fair share of misses if CO is windy like OH.

Maybe some day I'll get out there to shoot, I envy you. We certainly don't have anything like that here. For shooting at PD's you probably need a .223 as that cartridge doesn't heat a barrel like my favorites.

Mine was extemely accurate and always went to the range with me. I could shoot it while I waited for the barrels to cool on the heavier stuff.

788Ham
April 14, 2011, 01:49 AM
joed,

Not calling me a liar, thats okay, I've been called worse. I know of what you speak, using the .223 while waiting for barrels to cool, I have a Rem. 700 22-250 I got in 73, still a heck of a shooter. To the .223 now, I have a Rem. 788 I bought used 25 years ago, a real shooter. My loads for this are: Hornady 52 gr. BTHP, 26.9 gr Win 748, CCI 450 primer, 3200 fps. Another load I use: 52 gr. BT Amax, 24.3 gr H322, CCI 450 primer, 3200 fps. With a Harris bi-pod attached, my buddy and I practically cleared a p-dog town over one summer, using these same loads. I know how this sounds, not being able to see the town being shot at, but take my word for it, these cartridges did the job, explosively! The Amax loads I've posted, have given me the most accurate cartridge I've shot yet. The Rem. 788 rifle hasn't been made for quite some time now, they had a crumby trigger, no fancy replacements until recently. I replaced the crumby one with a Timney about a month ago, set @ 36 oz's. I took a box of Amax cartridges with me to the range, first 9 rounds were about 2" right of bull, 1" high, adjusted scope and shot 3 more rounds. These bullets were a clover leaf @ dead center, .366 MOA. Now just waiting for a rancher we know to let us in on his place to get some p-dog hunting done. 2 days later, I was at the range shooting golf balls off the target frame @ 200 yards, same load as I'd shot the target with, I know minute of golf ball isn't the same as shooting 300 - 400 yards, but if you can hit the gb's at that range, why can't you hit p-dogs at 400 yds? Yes, the wind howls here also!

Regards,

joed
April 14, 2011, 07:22 AM
788Ham, my second complaint with the .223 is the new rifles were pretty much designed to shoot heavy bullets. My Savage was the most accurate rifle I own shooting 69 gr bullets. When I tried shooting 50 gr groups opened up considerably. I just kept finding that rifle never leaving the safe except for range trips.

Art Eatman
April 14, 2011, 11:22 AM
Seems to me that if a person doesn't like a particular cartridge, he shouldn't buy the rifle as a "using gun". However, if there is profit potential, I'd do the deal.

I dunno. My wife has always accepted, "Because I can make a few bucks on it..." as an adequate reason for bringing some new toy home with me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cooper Phoenix rifle should I buy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!