Unique Acquisition: Colt Peacekeeper

PDA

AgentV3
April 13, 2011, 04:45 AM
Something I picked up today, had never heard of this model before now, the Colt Peacekeeper .357 Magnum.

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll397/black_spyv3/IMG_1075.jpg
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll397/black_spyv3/IMG_1077.jpg
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll397/black_spyv3/IMG_1076.jpg

From what I read online, it's a Colt Trooper Mk. V with a bead-blasted rough matte finish instead of a hand-polished blue finish, and factory Pachmayr rubber presentation grips instead of walnut grips. Apparently they were only made for two years during the 80's before disappearing, so while they're not rare, they're sure not very common. It's the first one I've ever seen, that's for sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unique Acquisition: Colt Peacekeeper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Remllez
April 13, 2011, 11:02 AM
Looks like a keeper to me...that is the first one I have seen didn't know they existed. The finish certainly is un -Colt like. How's the action on it? Thanks for sharing.

JoeMal
April 13, 2011, 11:20 AM
Looks like a great gun! Definitely keep us posted with some of the details on how it shoots!

Cop Bob
April 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
Second one I have ever seen... They may be more rare than you think...
ANY Colt DA these days is headed for collector status... cause they aint makin no-mo...

ColtPythonElite
April 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
I've seen 'em before...They use the MK V action, the same as the King Cobra. They are pretty stout guns. Colt made 'em for 2-3 years as a budget gun. I also believe they were "strike" guns. Legend is they made 'em matte because they didn't have anyone to put a shiny finish on them. The Agent has a similar finish. While it ain't pretty, it is durable.....I don't know what you gave for that gun, but I'd put it's value in the $400-$600 range. Of course, if you check GunBroker, I'm sure you will find them going for more.

Lucky Derby
April 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
Yep, they are a "strike gun". Workers were on strike, and no-one else could/would do a polished blue. So they re-named the Trooper MKV and put a matte finish on them. Good solid revolver, whatever you think of the politics behind it.

CraigC
April 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
I wanted one of these real bad when they first came out. After reading an article on the Colt "Whitetailer". Which was nothing more than an 8" Peacekeeper with a scope. Still have the article. I'd still like to have one but unfortunately, some folks are convinced that anything with "Colt" on it should be listed at collector prices.

AgentV3
April 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
The action is in great shape, cylinder barely turns when in full lockup. With tax, it was $540 out the door, so it looks like I gave about what they're worth. I really can't wait to take it out shooting, and I'll certainly talk about it when it happens.

Red October
September 2, 2011, 10:57 PM
I just happened across this thread tonight.
I thought I was the only person who liked these. I think they were only made a couple of years ('84 and '85, I think).
I have one and love it. Great trigger; shoots great.
Always a fan of parkerized guns & 6" revolvers.

Jim K
September 2, 2011, 11:04 PM
They were made to compete with the S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, which was a Model 27 with a less polished finish. I have seen a couple, but that one seems to be rougher than the ones i have seen, and a lot rougher than a Model 28.

Jim

dagger dog
September 3, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hmmmm ? Colt python express ?

ColtPythonElite
September 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ain't nothing on that gun related to a Python except the pony stamped on the side. It has a totally different action than a Python.

WC145
September 3, 2011, 11:19 AM
Nice catch! A Peacekeeper has been on my want list since they came out. I was an SP in the Air Force in the early 80's and they called us Peacekeepers back then and always thought it would be cool to have one of those Colts. I'd love to find a 4" version.

CraigC
September 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
I have seen a couple, but that one seems to be rougher than the ones i have seen, and a lot rougher than a Model 28.
These had a bead-blasted, parkerized finish. Model 28's were just polished to about a 400grit finish and then blued.

DPris
September 4, 2011, 02:38 AM
They weren't made to compete with a 28, they were just an emergency interim gun to stay in the market with the MKV actions during the strike.
There weren't enough polishers to go around at Colt, those that were masters were doing Pythons & Dick Specials, the Peacekeepers had no real polishing to speak of & were turned out as a "new" model in PR-speak, dropped as soon as the strike was over & Colt could return to polished versions.

They were strictly strike guns, not intended to be competition for anything.
Denis

jrod
September 4, 2011, 02:46 AM
That was the 1st Handgun I bought when I urned 21 back in 1982. Wish I still had it.

WC145
September 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
I have seen a couple, but that one seems to be rougher than the ones i have seen, and a lot rougher than a Model 28.
Ha! That's a high polish compared to the strike era Agent I picked up a few weeks ago. That thing looks like they used a rasp to crown the barrel and had the crane beaten into shape by a blacksmith. All good Colt on the inside though, hella good shooter!

TexAg
September 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Neat! My Dad has the Whitetailer.

ColtPythonElite
September 5, 2011, 02:07 AM
Saw a Peacekeeper yesterday. Asking price was $500.

Blue Brick
September 5, 2011, 03:50 AM
some folks are convinced that anything with "Colt" on it should be listed at collector prices.

That goes for "Jeep" too. :)

WC145
September 5, 2011, 08:48 AM
Saw a Peacekeeper yesterday. Asking price was $500.
4" or 6"?

Gordon
September 5, 2011, 12:13 PM
I recently sold a new in box one for $700. It hung in my safe for 20 years and I bought silver when it was $12 and climbing. I also sold a NIB 8" Nickle 1979 Python for $2000 at the same time. I wanted a 33 pound bag of half dollars bad and glad I got it!

ColtPythonElite
September 5, 2011, 02:24 PM
WC,
It was a 6".

CraigC
September 5, 2011, 03:34 PM
That goes for "Jeep" too.
You ain't kiddin'!

WC145
September 5, 2011, 05:05 PM
WC,
It was a 6".
Ugh. The lazy search goes on.

AKJeeper
October 20, 2011, 03:36 AM
I've got a Peacekeeper with a 4" barrel. My dad bought it new back in the mid-80's. He wanted a Colt DA revolver but couldn't afford a Python. He was rather pleased with the SA trigger feel with the Peacekeeper - said it was 99% as good as the SA trigger on a Python, and cost significantly less due to the "ugly" (for 1980's standards) finish.

The revolver is mine now and I love it. I'm impressed with how accurate it is and how well the action functions despite having a bargain basement finish. I'd kill to have a 6" version to go along with it. I can understand why people thought the finish was ugly back then...but one man's trash is another man's treasure. The parkerized tactical military look does the trick for me. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Unique Acquisition: Colt Peacekeeper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!