1911 parts?

PDA

coltjeeper
January 10, 2004, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know who makes a 1911 recoil spring plug that has a smooth face on it? No grooves or checkering, just smooth. I've seen pictures of them but no idea who makes them. And I'm sure Brownells has them, but I have not been able to find them on their website. Is Ed Brown's like this? Thats the only lead I have so far, but you can't tell in the pics from his website either.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
January 10, 2004, 07:11 PM
Howdy Jeeper,

I don't think I've ever seen a smooth one, and i suspect that what you're seeing is a two-piece guide rod that comes out flush with the end of the plug.

You could probably make one, it that's what your want. Use a bastard cut
mill file, and lay it on a table so that the top of the file is toward you. Draw the plug toward you in long, smooth strokes, and keep it flat on the file.
It shouldn't take long to remove the checkering. Use cold blue to color the
end of the plug.

Be aware that that the checkering is there to provide a non-skid surface,
and that removing it will increase the chance of the plug slipping off your thumb. Be careful to keep it pointed away from your face when removing the plug. I have a friend who, had he not been wearing shooting glasses, would have lost an eye to a recoil spring plug.

Good luck!

Tuner

Sean Smith
January 10, 2004, 07:19 PM
No, I know what he's talking about. It is a standard GI-style recoil plug, but not checkered on the end. You use it with the standard GI short rod. I've seen 1 or 2 of them out there. AMT Hardballers came with 'em.

1911Tuner
January 10, 2004, 07:24 PM
Sean said:

AMT Hardballers came with 'em

Ah! Okay. I THINK I remember a Hardballer with one, but it seems like I remember thinking somebody had filed the checkering off. The other few that I encountered were checkered. Seems like a bad idea to me, at any rate.

Jeeper, if you want, send me a plug and I'll file the checkers off for ya.
No charge.

Tuner

coltjeeper
January 10, 2004, 07:36 PM
1911Tuner,

I appreciate the offer. :) The guy (who works for Kimber and set up the deal for the Marines) even said they ordered them from Brownells, but he wasn't sure who made them. They are the plugs used on the new MARSOC, DET 1 Kimbers. I've seen the pics but can't find the link now, I'd like to see them again myself. You can barely make one of them out in the SWAT magazine article about these pistols by Pat Rogers (who also is not sure who makes them btw). I just really like the way they look, something different.

1911Tuner
January 10, 2004, 08:19 PM
Jeeper, I'll get into the Brownells catalog and see if Ican find it. If I do,I'll
post the part number and the toll-free.

coltjeeper
January 10, 2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks again Tuner. I'm not home for another week and my brother has one but I won't get to look through it till then. The website is confusing the first time you go there, I like the catalog better.

coltjeeper
January 11, 2004, 06:47 PM
btt

WT
January 11, 2004, 07:42 PM
I put them on my Officers Models. They are aftermarket. Reverse plugs. Can't remember who I bought them from. Well known name but I have a brain f*rt.

Don't know if they will work on a Government Model.

BluesBear
January 12, 2004, 02:53 AM
What I don't understand is why they stopped butting the little "dimple" in the RS Plug like the old GI ones had, that enabled you to "screw" it onto the end of the recoil spring. I never had to chase one of those across the room.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!