22LR compact?

PDA

zignal_zero
April 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
i need a compact double action 22lr. i was looking at the Taurus model 94, is that available with fixed sights? what other comparable options are out there? i'm not sure what all mfg's make a double action compact 22lr.

this is going to be a carry piece. i'm not going to get into a debate about the whole '22 for SD' thing. what i AM asking is for suggestions,on guns, that fit into these parameters: (a must) double action, compact. (a plus) stainless, fixed sights, girly color grips.

who all makes something in this catagory? any known issues with any offerings in this catagory?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earplug
April 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
My only comnplaint with 22 DA guns.
Centerfire revolvers don't need as hard of a hammer blow to set off the primer.
The trigger pulls on 22 lr. DA revolvers are heavy. Add short sight radius and light weight and its hard to hold it steady.

Kendal Black
April 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
S&W 317. Know issues: Price--it ain't cheap. Very stout mainspring, and I don't suggest changing it.

zignal_zero
April 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
Earplug - that makes a lot of sense

KB - i remeber handlin a SW, years ago, couldn't remember what it was. thanks

rcmodel
April 13, 2011, 03:49 PM
S&W 317, is the best, and yes, it has a very stout 12 lb mainspring.

And I do recommend changing it.

I put a Wolff standard centerfire 8.5 lb J-Frame spring & lighter rebound spring in mine the week after I bought it in 1998.
It has never ever mis-fired in the last 13 years.

rc

zignal_zero
April 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
so what do you guys think abou the Taurus 94? and why is the SW 317 referred to as a "kit gun"?

rcmodel
April 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
At one time, a sportsman or trapper, or outdoorsmans "kit" was a bag full of things that might possibly come in handy in the great outdoors.

So, a "Kit-Gun" was a small lightweight revolver that carried easily in the kit, or tackle box, or on the belt, but shot just peachy keen when you wanted to kill a rattler in your campground, or a muskrat in a trap, or a turtle on your fishing line.

Why is the 317 better then a Taurus 94?
Because it is better.
And also lighter, and has a more tunable trigger then the Tauri.
The lock-work geometry of the Taurus is such that they come with a very heavy trigger and there is nothing you can do about it.

rc

22-rimfire
April 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
Your best choices from current manufactured revolvers are the S&W Model 317 and Model 63. I am not going to get into a "down with Taurus thread" as there has been several of late. Use your search feature. Those are my recommendations. If you don't like the price, choose something less good and accept the fact they they are more prone to problems and generally of lesser quality. Look for used Smith Model 34's, but they are also not cheap especially with a short barrel.

Kendal Black
April 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
The 317 kit gun is the adjustable sight model. The fixed sight model is just called a 317, SFAIK. The grips are rubber, but interchangeable for whatever girly style you like.

There are some threads discussing the Taurus 94. Reviews are mixed, to say the least. The search function will find you much to ponder.

Charter Arms makes their Pathfinder series in .22 LR. I don't know anything about it.

Many small .22 revolvers have been made over the years, some of them good, some dreadful.

zignal_zero
April 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
The 317 kit gun is the adjustable sight model. The fixed sight model is just called a 317, SFAIK. The grips are rubber, but interchangeable for whatever girly style you like.

There are some threads discussing the Taurus 94. Reviews are mixed, to say the least. The search function will find you much to ponder.

Charter Arms makes their Pathfinder series in .22 LR. I don't know anything about it.

Many small .22 revolvers have been made over the years, some of them good, some dreadful.

i just saw one of these (online). anybody know anything about them? i'm not opposed to paying the price of a SW 317, i just wanna know as much as i canabout EVERYTHING in this catagory :)

Kendal Black
April 13, 2011, 04:48 PM
S&W 317, is the best, and yes, it has a very stout 12 lb mainspring.

And I do recommend changing it.

I put a Wolff standard centerfire 8.5 lb J-Frame spring & lighter rebound spring in mine the week after I bought it in 1998.
It has never ever mis-fired in the last 13 years.

rc
Here is a good case of YMMV. I changed to a standard weight J-frame spring and got a few misfires with a specific brand and type of foreign ammo. Then I put the monster spring back in the gun.

This may simply be a matter of better smoothness in the mechanism of one gun versus the other.

I think S&W has to take into account assembly variations (smoothness), different ammo brands, and the chance the revolver might be dirty, and that is how they ended up with a truck spring in the handle.

Stainz
April 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
The 317K is a 3" J-frame - weighs 12.5oz. It has a relatively recent sibling - the 3" 63 - the same basic gun in SS - weighs 26 oz. I got the first one I found before Thanksgiving - it is super. I did add the 60 Pro wood grips and already had a DS-10 speedloader for the 8-shot 5" 63 I had. I highly recommend the 3" 63 qnd speedloader. The 2" 317, 3" 317K, and 3" 63 run from $700-$770 MSRP - mine was ~$650 with s/t new locally. A lot, to be sure, but it is quality.

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_4582.jpg

That's a 3" 60 Pro above the 3" 63 - I like the 3" 63's included HiViz sight better than the 60 Pro's Tritium Night Sight. Good luck!

Stainz

weregunner
April 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
The OP asked about the 94.

I own a 5 inch model 94 and use to have a 20 year +P one that was traded for the new 94. Never had any problems with either gun. The 94 is the understudy gun for my larger centerfire revolvers.

People talk about stiff trigger pulls. That's true for any of the brands,makes,and models out there.

Here is the story about the 94. Anything I have to say is already in the links.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=33287.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=43013.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=48601.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=39945.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=35922.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=19932.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5871.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=32100.0

These are right from the horse's mouth.

Stainz
April 13, 2011, 07:42 PM
I had a friend who didn't want to spend the money a S&W would command - and opted for a 94 in .22 LR. Unlike his Taurus blued 7-shot .357M, a 66 (?), I believe, it was horrible. Stiff trigger - uneven from one cylinder to the next - he tried it for months before selling it at a huge loss. He had some problems with a .45 ACP 5-shot Tracker, too - and similarly sold it. That blued 7-shooter .357M would only see .38 plinkers - but it proved to be reliable. I resprung and regripped it for him - he kept it as a house gun.

I met him at a store one evening - he fell in love with a new S&W 5" 63 - and got it for $489 - plus, in a few weeks, a $50 rebate. He was elated. Sadly, it didn't last - his health worsened and he passed away quickly. I was fortunate enough to buy his 5" 63 from his estate - and cleaned up the trigger, resprung it, and lubed it - a great difference. He had only put 24 rounds through it! I kept thinking how nice it would be as a 3" - then they announced such a version a year ago - finally delivering them in November.

I bought my new 3" 63 the day before Thanksgiving - and - new - right out of the box - it had a better trigger than the tricked up 5" 63 - go figure! I have shot two 317, a snubby and a 3" K - both seemed much harder in DA - but I also think it may be due to the very light gun - they are actually harder to shoot! I had the same problem shooting a lite weight 351PD - a snubby .22 WMR - which seemed to have an even stiffer trigger. To be blunt - a stiff trigger in a lightweight revolver - even with essentially no recoil - is not conducive to accurate shooting, for pleasure or emergencies. The SS 3" 63 is easy to shoot!

Stainz

woad_yurt
April 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
H&R 922, 923, 929 or 930. All have a 9 round cylinder and all are double action. I think they're the best buy out there. Below is my 930. It's like new and cost a whopping $200:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR930lt.jpg

oldfool
April 14, 2011, 08:21 AM
current NIB manufacture in 22 DA small frame is pretty much limited to
S&W
Taurus
Charter

try really, really, really hard to afford the S&W

Remllez
April 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
I agree with woadyurt,

Those H&R 9 shots are well built and the single action triggers are great...some of the double action triggers are a little heavy but I still think they are better than what people describe the Taurus 94 triggers as being. And for the price holy cow!! You can find them as new in box on Gunbroker for under $250.00 all day... 9 shots is a good thing and they last a long time if given normal maintenance.

I have a model 939 ultra 4 inch that I bought used in the early 80's and still shoot it quite a bit...Some of the H&R models are very classically styled and some like my H&R Trapper with octagonal barrel are becoming collectable. They are fine working guns that stand up to every day use as well as any of the higher priced guns mentioned.

woad_yurt
April 14, 2011, 10:12 AM
Remllez, you sound like an ok guy. I like your point of view.

Br
April 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
I used to have a Beretta 21A. It was a neat little gun, and my first pistol. I sort of regret trading it in way back when. It absolutely disappears in your front or back pocket.

Edit: Sorry, forgot I was in the revolver sub-forum. Never mind!

clang
April 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
S&W 63 or one of the older blue Kit Guns (Model 34 blue steel, Model 43 aluminum frame). 2" barrel guns have been made. Only adjustable sights.

Ruger SP101 in .22 LR can be found used with aq 2" barrel, but you are going to have to pay for it. Only adjustable sights.

You may also want to consider a Ruger Bearcat - fixed sights but single action. Small & light.

sixgunner455
April 14, 2011, 01:23 PM
In double action, the two most common that are worth having are S&W, and H&R. I learned to shoot with an H&R, and I would have it today if my dad would give it up. :D I bought a Ruger Single Six to satisfy my .22 revolver niche/need, because it is similar to that old H&R. So that brings you to the single actions. There are cheaper singles than the Bearcat and Single Six, but none better to my way of thinking. Between those two, you pick based on size/fit/mission. My Single Six has a 4 5/8" barrel and fixed sights, so it's like a slightly larger Bearcat, and fits my hands better. My kids would have preferred a Bearcat, but love the Single Six.

In a carry gun, I'd probably rather have a 2" or 3" S&W, if I could afford it.

Good luck!

Wolfeye
April 14, 2011, 08:31 PM
i just saw one of these (online). anybody know anything about them?

My impression of Charter Arms is that they're about the same quality as Taurus, except they're made in USA. I've not shot one, but from what I hear they tend to be quite accurate for the price. They have an excellent warrantee and have girly grips available: http://charter2000.site.aplus.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CFAE&Category_Code=1GRP

I've only seen them on display at gunshops. Compared to the S&W Kit Gun I've shot, they're not as pretty, but they're not ugly either. With the money a person could save by buying Charter, they could have a gunsmith slick up the action.

Edit: one issue I know about that's common to most compact revolvers is that getting a speedloader to work often requires some jiggling. At least, that's the way it is with my Smith. My Ruger SP101 doesn't have that problem, but they haven't sold it in .22 lr for a while now.

22-rimfire
April 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
With the money a person could save by buying Charter, they could have a gunsmith slick up the action.

So, why would you bother buying the Charter Pathfinder in the first place and just buy what is considered a better made product with the same cash outlay? Sounded good though. That is what you do AFTER buying the revolver and deciding it needs some attention to make it better. That assumes you can find a gunsmith that wants to do the work or is able to. Sometimes that's a probem with the less expensive revolvers.

I don't really see a lot of need for speedloaders with the compact revolvers, but that is me. But' you're right about "jiggling" based on my limited experience.

MCgunner
April 14, 2011, 09:16 PM
Agree with Earplug on this. Most DA .22s are really stiff in DA. I have a Rossi 511 that's pretty stiff, but I don't really care about the DA and the SA is great, but I don't carry it for defense. Defense, I want a smooth, light DA pull and if you lighten a .22, most times you're going to get misfires before you reach what I'd call a decent pull weight. Just the nature of the beast.

BCRider
April 15, 2011, 12:05 AM
If you're not adverse to buying used the S&W Model 34 was the original blued steel kit gun. It came in a 4 inch barrel as well as a 2.5 inch or so option. It was the original "kit gun". Being a J frame all the stuff made back then as well as currently fits it such as grips holsters spring kits and other bits and pieces that fit all the other J frame guns that are on the market... including pink grips.

788Ham
April 15, 2011, 12:25 AM
Get a H&R 999 .22 revolver, one thats not expensive, but will do everything a 22 can do! Tip open barrel to load and unload, good adj. sights, 6" barrel. Good revolver.

oldfool
April 15, 2011, 12:31 AM
I agree with all who say that small frame geometry is handicapped vs large frame geometry, and rimfires need a firmer strike than centerfire to be 100% reliable, within the reliability limitations of the rimfire ammo itself, of course. But that is no excuse for accepting small frame DA triggers a lot worse than they need be.

Clean, lube, dry firing, high round count usage tend to help all of 'em, but those who begin life "better" are pert near guaranteed to stay "better" post all such improvement efforts, when done same/same.

Polishing parts may yield a better short term feel (or at least less gritty, less binding), but if/when done on a gun which is simply of poor fit using 2nd rate components, it is, at best, a dubious "solution", and too often translates into deliberately introduced premature excessive and undesirable wear. The only "good news" in that, is that very few people will ever really wear out any half-decent 22 rimfire revolver by merit of round count alone. Far too many do get damaged via neglect or abuse.

Lighter mainsprings and (more often overlooked) lighter return springs can yield a lighter trigger pull, but is no guaranteed solution either. Not even consistently so for individual guns of exact same make/model. Worth a trial, though, so long as you are aware of the possible light strike and reset issues that can result.

But getting better quality parts, fit, and finish never was a free ride, else we would all own a safe load of Freedom Arms SAs, mint condition original Dan Wessons, mint custom shop S&W k-22 masterpieces, custom shop Pythons, and Korths. I don't, most don't.

You do not always get what you pay for when you pony up the premium price, but you can almost always expect to get what you pay for when you buy cheapest available product. No guarantees, either way, but reasonable expectations do tend to follow common sense. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

If a shooter cannot afford the premium price, fine, do buy whatever you can afford, do what you can do with it, do enjoy shooting it whether it be a Heritage Rough Rider, or a Hi-Point or whatever. They may not be real pretty but they do go bang, and (outside of formal competitions) most firearms, new or old, are capable of better accuracy than most of the hands that hold them, leastways my hand.
There are, alas, some few exceptions. The bad news is that they cannot be identified up front by price alone, nor by brand alone.

But when it comes to DA revolvers, I myself have zero interest in a gun that shoots well enough SA, but has a crappy DA trigger. I have other guns to shoot SA only; I buy DA to shoot DA. More to the point I buy SA/DA to enjoy shooting both SA and DA.
I also have zero intention of ever buying a NIB gun to send to a gunsmith or buy aftermarket parts for, simply to make it "acceptable". If/when I travel that road, I would start with the best quality gun I could stretch my budget to, and then try to get on Grant Cunningham's waiting list. If a ~$300 NIB gun needs a gunsmith, I try real hard not to buy it.

good small frame triggers are a challenge, particularly yes they are
but supposing that all are bad, or supposing that all are equal, is just plain silly

Anybody who cares about small frame 22 DA trigger quality re: current NIB manufacture need not pay attention to any of us here anyway. Just find a good gun shop that stocks new S&W and new Taurus (and probably new Charter) small frame rimfires, and pull the trigger DA on every one of 'em. The differences will be obvious enough.

Same can be said of small frame centerfires and snubbies; you really need pull the trigger for yourself, and decide for yourself if the difference in feel justifies the difference in price.
But buying any firearm with expectations of having to turn it into what it ain't, is about the same as marrying some gal or guy on the thesis of turning them into what they ain't. Don't bet the farm on it.

Me, I may never stretch myself to the price of a "near mint" 651 to match my "near mint" 63, but I have picked up way too many of the NIB 94/941s in my own hand to throw down $300 on one of 'em. I will leave 'em for those that love 'em.
I do need to find the most recent reincarnation of the Charter though, to see how it feels in my own hand. Some few posts here on THR suggest worth a good hard look.

PS
not all full size frame 22 DAs are "really stiff" even with factory springs
most S&Ws (new or old) are actually quite good, and some of the older model Taurus k-clones were as well... short sight radius and too light weight is not shooter friendly, but the guns themselves "can do"

not all DA 22 revolvers are difficult to shoot well, most with half decent triggers are pretty easy to shoot DA well, brand loyalties notwithstanding
many shooters do not shoot them real well in DA, true, but then many shooters claim DA centerfire simply cannot be target shooting accurate (in some part because too many who target shoot DA insist on s-l-o-w-l-y staging the trigger in an attempt to pseudo-simulate SA, and they out think themselves, whilst waiting to feel the breakover)

taurusarmed.net just might not be the most objective possible source on Taurus guns
Same goes for Ruger forums on Rugers, or S&W forums on S&Ws, or Colt forums on Colts, etc..... you decide, but if you read one, you know, read 'em all

pull the triggers before you buy, decide what you can afford, and you will likely be happy enough with whatever you choose

ninemm
April 15, 2011, 12:42 AM
Great post oldfool. I went to my gunshop earlier this week. Held and pulled the trigger on a Taurus 94 and a S&W 617 (they didn't have a 63 in stock). The 94 I would have called anything but smooth or well made. When I handled the S&W words like precision and quality immediately sprung to mind. The price difference is substantial (to me), but I don't think I could personally be satisfied by the Taurus. Oldfool is right, you really need to check out each gun in person to make a decision for yourself.

Kendal Black
April 15, 2011, 12:52 AM
I wonder if the current company (is it still Cerberus?) still has the tools and drawings for the H&R revolvers. These were pretty good for what they cost. Might be time to reintroduce something like that. Everyone who is paying attention is thrift-minded, these days.

I think H&R fled the revolver market because of yammering about "Saturday night specials," years ago, but in fact they were way ahead of the curve on making simple stuff work right. The last time I heard of an H&R, an elderly granny hauled one out of her purse and shot one off by mistake; the hat backward gang decided that was enough and, in the words of Aristophanes, skedaddled.

oldfool
April 15, 2011, 12:52 AM
parting shot -

if you really really like the gun you choose for yourself, you will probably shoot it a lot
if you really really shoot it a LOT, it is a pretty good bet the ammo you eventually send downrange will cost more than the gun you buy
even at 2-3 cents a round, 20,000 or 30,000 rounds of rimfire ain't all that cheap, and shooting a brick at a time weekly can add up pretty quick
quicker still if your shooting buddies like it as well as you do

so, you know... try really really really hard to afford a S&W ;)
(it is really really really hard to wear out a good one if you don't abuse it)

Kendal Black
April 15, 2011, 01:18 AM
The Smith seems quite affordable if you compare it to a Colt Banker's Special .22.

The Smith, if you do not monkey with the springs, will go bang when asked. I have not owned a FAIL FLAG keyhole model, so I cannot speak to that.

Further the deponent sayeth not.

MCgunner
April 15, 2011, 07:20 AM
If I wanted a .22 handgun with a light trigger pull and didn't wanna use a revolver's SA, I'd just get a Ruger Mk 2. :rolleyes: More bang for the buck. Yeah, they're a might large to be called a "kit gun". But, NO J frame sized .22 revolver I've ever fired had anywhere near as slick a DA trigger as my .38 caliber Taurus M85SSUL which beats every Smith I own or have ever owned. I say, if you don't wanna be out next month's mortgage payment, look at .38s. :rolleyes: Nothing wrong with a 642, either, and they're more affordable than some of the DA .22s out there. There simply isn't a DA trigger I'd call good on a .22 revolver. Perhaps a K22 Masterpiece, old M17, but I thought we were talking compact revolvers.

My fav .22 for defense is a NAA Black Widow .22 magnum. Don't carry it very often, can usually pocket the M85 or a Kel Tec P11 or a Radom P64.

oldfool
April 15, 2011, 11:56 AM
opening shot -
"If I wanted a .22 handgun with a light trigger pull and didn't wanna use a revolver's SA, I'd just get a Ruger Mk 2."

some part of why I own a Ruger MkII and MKIII and S&W622 and AutoMag II, and enjoy shooting my buddy's Buckmark and Ruger MK1, I guess
but I don't much like the direction the cylinder rotates on any of 'em :rolleyes:

"There simply isn't a DA trigger I'd call good on a .22 revolver. Perhaps a K22 Masterpiece, old M17, but I thought we were talking compact revolvers."
get a K-22/17/18 and broaden your horizons (or a "k-clone" Taurus 96), if can verify excellent condition up front
the subject was by the way, ]22LR[/COLOR] compact revolvers, not 38 snubbies, nor pistolas, nor K-frames, nor Pythons or Korths, etc. :rolleyes:

"My fav .22 for defense is a NAA Black Widow .22 magnum."
How good is the DA trigger on that one, friend ?
(not quite as smooth as that model 85 ??)

me, I favor a Colt Government 380acp, real good SA trigger, but the DA trigger action is so doggone stiff I cannot seem to get it fired no matter how hard I squeeze :D
I have noticed the same problem with those MKs and Buckmarks, duuno why
but my Ruger LCP DA(O) trigger ain't nothing to brag on either, go figger
(and every time I try to load 'em up with rimfire 22 the boolits just keep falling out of 'em, I must be doing it wrong)

"I say, if you don't wanna be out next month's mortgage payment, look at .38s.'
depends on the 38, but the subject was...

zignal_zero
April 15, 2011, 02:10 PM
"There simply isn't a DA trigger I'd call good on a .22 revolver. Perhaps a K22 Masterpiece, old M17, but I thought we were talking compact revolvers."
get a K-22/17/18 and broaden your horizons (or a "k-clone" Taurus 96), if can verify excellent condition up front
the subject was by the way, 22LR compact revolvers , not 38 snubbies, nor pistolas, nor K-frames, nor Pythons or Korths, etc.

exactly! thank you. also, thanks for taking the time for the long post you typed out :)

i know all about S/A's, i've had more than a couple Single Six's over the years. i also know about the Ruger autos, just picked up a MKIII 22/45 Factory Threaded (named "Ghost") today and am shipping out a Stainless MKII Competition to a member on here that wants it more than i do.

what i wasn't clear on was the current options for double action 22 revolvers the gun i'm trying to decide on isn't even for me. i carry either a full size 1911 or a 22 auto, depending on my mood and where i plan on going. it's for my wife who's a little bit recoil sensitive. i might skip the idea all together and, instead, go with this plan - start reloading some really really light loads for her SP101 and slowly, without telling her, start increasing the charge until she's comfortable with hot loads and doesn't even realize why :D

frankj
April 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
This is my first visit to this forum, so don't hesitate to point out anything I might be doing wrong. I can take the criticism!

I ended up with a 622 H&R. (I know it's ugly and simple, but I kinda like it.)

Unfortunately, it needs a new mainspring. This model must be one of the old ones, since the hammer and 'firing pin' are one piece.

Any suggestions as to where to look for a part?

savit260
April 16, 2011, 01:26 PM
I found this little 8 shot, late 50's vintage Iver Johnson (pretty similar to the H&R's) at a local gun show last year for a touch over $100. Fun little shooter and well made for the price. Very solid little .22 and about the same size as a J frame (more or less)
I'm not going to try and convince anyone that the trigger is nearly as good as my Pre War Colt Officers Model Target .22, or a K-22 but it's not awful either. Certainly not any worse than any of the new center fire Charters I've handled
Goes bang every time. :)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/savit260/Picture019.jpg

Kendal Black
April 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
This is my first visit to this forum, so don't hesitate to point out anything I might be doing wrong. I can take the criticism!

I ended up with a 622 H&R. (I know it's ugly and simple, but I kinda like it.)

Unfortunately, it needs a new mainspring. This model must be one of the old ones, since the hammer and 'firing pin' are one piece.

Any suggestions as to where to look for a part?
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7887

bcp280z
April 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
Gunblast has a good article about the Smith, http://www.gunblast.com/SW_317.htm

TGReaper
April 16, 2011, 11:22 PM
This class of revolver has to be right at the top of the got to have list.
I have no idea where you might find one but I managed to find a nickel plated 2 inch model 34. It is amazing how much use I get out of this,probably more that I use my mod.17.
TGR

BCRider
April 16, 2011, 11:29 PM
Zero, there's really no need to build her up to some +P sort of loading. But if you can make up some mouse load 148HBWC rounds and wean her up to at least a stronger load of 148HBWC loads that she's comfy with then for MOST uses that would be enough. After all, 95% of any confrontation will end when the perp is looking down a hole at a shadowy nose of a bullet. And if it does come down to actually pulling the trigger there's some decent supporting info around here to suggest that a well placed 148HBWC will slow or stop most attackers if put in the right place.

Hondo 60
April 17, 2011, 06:49 PM
+1 on the Beretta Bobcat.

It is very compact & very easily hides in a pocket.

But they're fickle when it comes to ammo.
I've found Fiocchi 40gr High Velocity ammo works great.
And my LGS has it for $2.69/50.

CCI mini-mags, stingers & velocitors work too, but are much more expensive

oldfool
April 17, 2011, 07:02 PM
which way does the cylinder on that Bobcat turn ?
same as a Colt, or same as a S&W ?

Hondo 60
April 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
no it's not a revolver, but it is a compact .22lr

harqueb.us
April 17, 2011, 10:02 PM
Holy cow now I need a S&W 63. Thanks guys.

El Guero
April 17, 2011, 11:56 PM
I briefly owned a Taurus 94. I didn't get through the first cylinder before it started binding up and needing help rotating. I took it back to the guy who sold it to me and he gave me my money back. I like that guy a lot but I have a different impression of Taurus now.

gb6491
April 18, 2011, 12:04 AM
Holy cow now I need a S&W 63. Thanks guys.
I've been very happy with mine:)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2d9a8p1.jpg
Regards,
Greg

harqueb.us
April 18, 2011, 01:26 AM
Very nice.

lloveless
April 18, 2011, 01:55 AM
I thought S&W made a kit gun as a model 64 in .22 lr?
ll

Stainz
April 21, 2011, 08:12 AM
The S&W 64 is a SS version of the infamous original .38 S&W Special M&P, the Model 10. The current 'kit' .22 is the 317K, a 3" Al airweight 8-shooter with a HiViz front and adjustable rear sight. For my money, the SS version - my 3" 63 shown on the previous page - makes more sense.

Stainz

3bird
April 21, 2011, 08:39 AM
My wife loves my S&W 317. It's the gun that finally got her to take up shooting with me, and now she's even considering something "a little more powerful". The little gun does everything it was designed to do very well.
The only issue I have with it is the spent casings tend to stick in the cylinder when it's used as a range toy.

I should say [I]why[I] she loves it.Light as a feather, no recoil, simple to operate.

22-rimfire
April 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
The only issue I have with it is the spent casings tend to stick in the cylinder when it's used as a range toy.

I wanted a M317 really bad, but resisted actually buying when it came down to it. I watched them go from about $300 (or was it $4?) up to the current pricing. Then I started reading about this issue being more common and I decided on the M63 Smith. I believe one poster said that they eventually got a stainless steel cylinder from Smith to replace their aluminum original. Stainless cylinder would be kind of like their new Night Guard series and that has more appeal to me than the aluminum cylinder. Unless weight is a big issue, I would suggest you try to find a 3" M63 and they aren't very heavy. I'd take a M34 too.

rayman
April 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
The 2 inch round butt 63 is fun & feels nicely overbuilt. Firing CCI stingers out of it is fun.

Litlman
April 22, 2011, 09:59 PM
I have a used , new condition S&W 34 2inch. Nice little revolver. Ruger sp101 in 22 if you could find one.

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR compact?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!