Light mount on Revolvers

PDA

This45Colt
April 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hey all, I was wondering something about our traditional equalizers:

If a Smith TRR8 or M&P R8 is out of my budget, would it be possible to get a revolver with a full under lug (*GP100 or 686) and get it drilled and tapped for a small section of picatiny rail?

I just thought this would be an interesting subject, say for home defense, because 99.9% of revolvers don't have light mounting capabilities..... and the only three that I know of are right around the 1200 dollar mark...

How strong is that under lug? would it hold with a section of rail and a tac light on it?

If this didn't work, is there any other way to get a light effectively mounted on a wheel gun? Aside from duct tape that is... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Light mount on Revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kle
April 14, 2011, 06:03 PM
The underlug would certainly be plenty to hold an accessory rail.

Another way you could mount a light is to use one of the scope mounts available for the S&W or Ruger that replace the rear sight, and then mount a light/laser onto it. It would look pretty funky, and you'd lose the iron sights, but it would work...for point-shooting, anyways.

There's also a cheap-o laser that mounts to the front of the trigger guard (http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Sight-Trigger-Guard-Mount/dp/B003L1ADZC) of most handguns, but I question its durability and reliability...

Edit: Woah! I just found out that LaserLyte is making Picatinny adapter rails (http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_Sight_Accessories/Revolvers/ADP-S637-140.html) for certain revolvers! None for the GP100 or 686, though.

This45Colt
April 14, 2011, 07:37 PM
J frame is the only one that I would consider buying, but that is pretty cool, and I was thinking a light more than a laser.... so the underlug idea just might work....

If you enjoyed reading about "Light mount on Revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!