Replacing Side Plate Assembly on S&W 617

PDA

vvanders
April 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
I recently bought a 617 and planned to get it engraved on the sideplate. Just got back the engraving today and the engraver botched the lettering, it's mis-aligned by ~15 degrees.

Is my only option to completely replace the side plate assembly? I dug around on the S&W site and it looks like it's a factory install only part. Luckily the jeweler is planning on eating the costs, however I feel bad because it's not her fault(she goes through someone else for engraving).

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing Side Plate Assembly on S&W 617" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
April 15, 2011, 12:27 AM
What other route did you think there might be other than replacing the sideplate?

It is factory installed, because the goal is to have a hairline fit to the frame...it isn't like the sideplates are interchangeable

earplug
April 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
Its not a common gun but you might find a side plate for the same frame size S&W from a police auction that destroys the frame but sells off the parts.
I'm not sure, but I would hope that modern machining has replaced some of the hand fitting required of the old models.
Check gun broker.

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing Side Plate Assembly on S&W 617" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!