J.C. Higgins Model 88

PDA

zstephens13
April 14, 2011, 09:51 PM
I am helping my father-in-law with an old revolver that belong to his dad and we're having some problems.

There is a plunger that you pull towards the barrel to get the cylinder to roll to the left to load/unload the gun. The plunger you pull will push towards the rear of the gun to help eject the casings.

Here's the problem: when first attempting to push the plunger to the rear, initially it is extremely hard, but after about 2mm of struggle it moves free and easy past those 2mm.

I have cleaned and brushed and oiled the whole cylinder but can't get it to move freely like it used to.

Any suggestions on maybe disassembly?
I don't know how to do that either.

If you enjoyed reading about "J.C. Higgins Model 88" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kendal Black
April 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
It's a Hi-Standard Sentinel re-branded to be sold by Sears & Roebuck. (By the way, what did they do with poor Mr. Roebuck?)

These were, and are, decent little revolvers. I'm sorry the Hi-Standard company went belly up. Their target automatics were rather good.

This diagram is probably pretty close to the innards of your gun. Notice that you can often find a schematic on the web sites of gun parts dealers.

http://www.marstar.ca/hssentinels.htm

Gun Master
December 27, 2013, 02:46 PM
I have a J.C. Higgins mod. 88 and a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe, which are basically the same model . My 88 (recently bought) does not retract the cylinder star, after extracting the spent shells, like my Sentinel Deluxe does. Is this a flaw or normal for this model ?:)

If you enjoyed reading about "J.C. Higgins Model 88" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!