Best .380 FMJ For LCP?

PDA

huduguru
April 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
For reasons based on cost, functional reliability and penetration,
I have decided to use FMJ in my LCP. I don't want to get in a discussion over
FMJ vs. HP for defense, but just want to know what is the highest quality(no
White Box or Wolf) FMJ rounds for reliability.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .380 FMJ For LCP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
I found that the large boxes of Winchester 95g FMJ (two trays per box = 100 rounds) are extremely functional and reliable in my LCP.

Of course, you can purchase these at the "big-box store" so I don't know if this falls under your "no white box" category or not!

In fact, I have shot at least 10 different bullets out of my LCP and the gun has shot every one without a hiccup!

45Fan
April 15, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have tried winchester, remington, federal, armscor, and sellier&bellot. The best overall that I have used was S&B, followed by the winchester. yes is was white box. The Remington FMJ was OK, but didnt function 100%, and the federal FMJ (I think it was the american eagle packaging) was the worst, with function and erratic accuracy, along with split cases.

mgmorden
April 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've fired several boxes of Magtech through mine without any issue. FWIW, I've also fired a lot of WWB in the gun without any issue either.

huduguru
April 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
The reason I don't want the WWB is velocity figures I've seen
on the net show it developing only 750 FPS. I'm looking for a FMJ
round that develops normal .380 velocities, i.e., 850 fps or so.
Has anyone chronographed FMJ rounds? Any links to ballistics tests
for FMJ rounds?(they are hard to find)

griff383
April 15, 2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

Ben86
April 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
I prefer remington fmj, due to the round ogive. I trust it to feed more reliably.

Shaky
April 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
Without getting into the hp issue, you DO want a flat point bullet for the added tissue damage over round nose. Buffalo Bore offers a 380 "+P" with the 95 gr fmj fp listed at 1019 fps from a Kel-Tec, though I'm not sure the added velocity over the white box (which is what I carry) will give much of an edge.

Ben86
April 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
If you shoot that buffalo bore you'd be wise to put a heavier recoil spring in, say an extra 2-4 pounds.

huduguru
April 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
Ruger says no plus p allowed in the LCP. A standard pressure would
be ok.

rcmodel
April 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
S&B is good full power FMJ-RN stuff.

It is a lot faster then Wallyworld WWB FMJ-FP.

I also like Federal American Eagle pretty good.

rc

hirundo82
April 15, 2011, 05:10 PM
I agree with using S&B, or some other European manufacturer. They tend to load their ammo hotter than American companies (while still within CIP pressure specs).

Jotobo
April 16, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have had FTF with both Remington UMC and Winchester white box.

Put a 100 rounds through my LCP with Herters steel case. Not a single malfunction. The same could not be said of the above two brands. I was shocked. You can reload them, but at $10.99 for a box of 50 in a .380, I dont mind that.

SoulLessGinger
April 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
If you shoot that buffalo bore you'd be wise to put a heavier recoil spring in, say an extra 2-4 pounds.

Not all Buffalo Bore is +P.

This is their standard pressure FMJ flat-point. I trust BB's QC more than some garbage range ammo from WallyWorld.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=217

Barkoff
April 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know why Ruger advises no +P in the LCP? If one adds stronger Wolf Springs, would you still hesitate using +P for buisness?

RidgwayCO
April 16, 2011, 10:09 PM
The only commercial .380 Auto FMJ ammo I buy is the 95gr Federal American Eagle. It functions well in all my .380s, and I save the brass for reloading. I bought a bunch back in 2008 and am just working though it now. Guess I won't be able to find it for $219/k delivered anymore...

CZguy
April 16, 2011, 11:02 PM
As others have noted, European manufactures load their ammo a little hotter. Seller & Bellot has worked flawlessly in my LCP every week for the last year.

john5036
April 17, 2011, 03:50 AM
Have you given thought to alternating HP and FMJ in the magazine? My current loadout is S&B FMJ and Speer Gold Dots.

There's a lot of opinion regarding both, lot of us .380 owners just alternate to get the best of both schools of thought.

NG VI
April 17, 2011, 04:49 AM
I other calibers I like S&B quite a bit, and also Speer Lawman would be a great choice. It's FMJ manufactured to the same specs as the Gold Dots.

Fastcast
April 17, 2011, 06:45 PM
FMJ for defense, I like.....RWS, Fiocchi or S&B

franco45
April 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
I use Fiochi in my LCP. As others have mentioned the European ammo is loaded hotter and you don't pay a premium price for it. I prefer it in all my small caliber handguns. I also us it in my Beretta 25 acp. and p32.

19-3Ben
April 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
I carry S&B in mine for all the reasons mentioned above.
I've never had it fail (although in fairness, I've never ever had a malfunction with that gun in any brand), and it seems a little hotter than the american made stuff.

larryh1108
April 18, 2011, 12:28 AM
I have always used the flat nose FMJ ammo thru my LCP. Almost 1500 rounds later I still shoot and carry it daily. It's been flawless. I added the 13# recoil spring a short time ago but I did it because of round count and not for any function issues.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .380 FMJ For LCP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!