Sould I let her shoot it.

PDA

dbro822
April 17, 2011, 12:12 AM
I was given today from my father a colt diamondback 4" 38 special ctg. new in the box never been fired. My wife has been showing a interest in shooting. A 22lr revolver has been fitting the bill, she made a comment that a larger handgun was on her mind, that is when my dad said, "I have a 38 that might be just right", today he handed me the colt. This is the firearm that brought the joy of shooting into my life, He had two matching colts, one we shot, and one that stayed in the safe. The shooter was taken in a robbery. Now should I pull the trigger or put it back in the safe? My father said, "It is doing no good just setting there." What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sould I let her shoot it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sniderman
April 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
IMHO
"It's doing no good just sitting there"

Colt Smith
April 17, 2011, 12:27 AM
In the collector car arena the saying is "it's only original once". I suppose you can say "it's only unfired once" as well. While it's true that the gun is just a paper weight if you don't use it, it's also a very valuable paperweight. The condition should be considered before firing it. But just because you have an unfired gun doesn't necessarily make you a collector. If that isn't something that concerns you and since you have the blessings of your father who's unfired jewel this is, perhaps shooting it is the thing to do. But if it were me, I would only do it after I considered all the options. I wouldn't do it on a whim. If your wife wants to shoot a larger caliber handgun get her a nice used S&W model 10 heavy barrel 38. They are sweet shooters. Or get something else. The choices are endless. If you're conflicted about it, perhaps it's not the thing to do. Only you can say.

mnrivrat
April 17, 2011, 01:14 AM
If truely unfired in its box the Diamondback has significant collector value. I would consider buying a different used gun and using that one for a investment, but all that depends on your circumstance.

It will indeed loose several $100 from being fired. If you never plan on selling it, then who cares.

InkEd
April 17, 2011, 02:03 AM
Shoot it! I cannot stand people who keep ordinary (sorry, Colt fanboys) production guns locked away lime they are a national treasure or something.

Right now, they are somewhat collectible. In 20 years, they will just be old revolvers that people overpaid for on gunbroker during a surge in popularity. 40 years after that, they will be collectible (again) as antiques.

I don't think I would give it to my wife throw in her purse or a newbie to mistreat it because it is a very nice revolver. I'm pretty sure there is one in the NRA museum already.

rondog
April 17, 2011, 03:06 AM
I would have stopped at WalMart for ammo on the way home! Guns are for shootin', IMO.

wcavasos
April 17, 2011, 03:14 AM
Maybe it meant more to your father to gift such a nice revolver for the daughter in law he loves so much than to have an unfired original colt. Taking away something that your father wanted to give to your wife is like not allowing him to give her a part of himself. It kind of sounds wrong to take that away from him. Not to make you feel guilty but I think that my father would prefer that the gift was thoughtfully recieved. I say shoot it. But like other people have said you have some things to think about. That is one heck of a pickle your in my friend. Best of luck to you.

Sunray
April 17, 2011, 03:18 AM
"...Should I let her shoot it..." Hi. Not your choice. Your da giving it to you for her. However, the Diamondback has to fit your lady's hand.
Not giving it to you before is a measure of his esteem for your lady. Not exactly a bad thing. You deciding she can't have it will cause you grief. Still has to fit her hand, of course, but don't be insulting/second guessing your da's judgement. He's already decided it shouldn't be a 'safe queen'.

jgiehl
April 17, 2011, 03:57 AM
I'm not shy I'll shoot it.

BigN
April 17, 2011, 06:08 AM
If you're going to sell it, put it back in the safe. If you're seriously thinking about shooting it, shoot it.

Revolver Ocelot
April 17, 2011, 06:20 AM
shoot it, I got my wife an unfired colt woodsman, with as much as I spent for that thing she better shoot it.

AirForceShooter
April 17, 2011, 07:16 AM
LET her shoot it?
Do you like sleeping in a bed and eating home cooked meals?
It's her choice not your's.

Go to the range, hand her the gun and tell her it's up to her.

AFS

CajunBass
April 17, 2011, 07:38 AM
Your father thought enough of the woman who chose you to give HER an unfired Colt Diamondback. It's not your decision. Maybe if you're lucky she'll let you shoot it too.

Seriously, from a monitary value what have you got to lose? A few hundred bucks that you really don't have anyway. The gun cost you nothing. Anything you make if you were to sell it is pure profit. If you don't ever plan to sell it, big deal. You lose nothing at all.

FoMoGo
April 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
Its not unfired... it was test fired at the factory.
Your father WANTS her to shoot it... that says it all right there.
Unless its a super rare, one of 3 ever made, enjoy it.
If it IS a super rare, one of 3 ever made, shoot it anyway.

Jim

bannockburn
April 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
dbro822

I would have to agree with everyone who wrote that it's not your decision to make. Honor your father's bequest of his very gracious gift to your wife. It's hers, not yours.

Bush Pilot
April 17, 2011, 10:17 AM
DON'T SHOOT IT. KEEP IT UNFIRED! Of course you should shoot it. I used to wrestle with this issue myself when I picked up a nice piece. Why should my hard earned money go to buy a gun that some other SOB will enjoy after I'm gone?

MtnSpur
April 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
If you aren't a collector, and by that I mean someone who looks for NIB unfired weapons that are no longer made, then by all means shoot that puppy. Goes without saying to thouroughly clean her first :D and afterwards ;)

My wife inherited some NIB commemortives that I just can't bring myself to shoot :banghead: but I have enough toys to divert my attention downrange.

Enjoy the experience :cool:

Old Shooter
April 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
If your fathers intention by giving it to your wife was for her to shoot it, then so be it.

I suspect his feelings may be hurt if you decide to lock it up in a safe and get your wife a Glock!

It doesn't sound like his intention was for it to go from his safe to your safe.

I'd let the wife shoot it today!

CraigC
April 17, 2011, 01:11 PM
...with as much as I spent for that thing she better shoot it.
That's how I feel. I couldn't stand to spend a premium price on a premium firearm and NOT shoot it. With rare exception (Colt SAA serial #1 for example), no gun is too nice to shoot. It was Dad's Colt, so you're never gonna sell it, so who cares what some collector may think it's worth. Shoot it, enjoy it.

Black Butte
April 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
You should keep your father's unfired Colt Diamondback as a collector's piece and get something more practical, like a Korth Troja, for shooting. :D

DC3-CVN-72
April 17, 2011, 05:55 PM
your father handed the gun to to you, the gun that you both shot together was stolen, I think that the decision is yours to make. I also think that your father wants your wife to use this gun. I think that I would make my father & my wife happy. :)

J-Bar
April 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
You are pretty d**n lucky to have a wife who is interested in shooting. Now, the way a woman's mind works, if you don't let her shoot it, the message she gets is "He thinks I'm not good enough for the gun." If you want to live with that, remember divorces are more expensive than Colts, and she would wind up with it anyway.

Seriously, your Father said, "It is doing no good sitting there." Let it do some good for a change. Get her and the Diamondback out to the range as quick as you can. Let her see what it is like to shoot a really fine revolver.

I just put elk grips on mine, and it gets shot often.

bruzer
April 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
Yes, you should let her shoot the gun. Then let her make your dinner, wash your clothes and let her sleep in your bed. Now if you don't have any knots in your head, give her a kiss, buy her some flowers, let her know that you are completely lost without her, and enjoy shooting with her.
Mike

cavman
April 17, 2011, 06:47 PM
As a Bullseye shooter I look at it this way: The amount of ammo that I put through a gun eclipses the price of the gun pretty quickly.

From what the other posters, who know collector's prices, a few hundred is not much to me. If she likes it and begins to shoot it, the ammo costs will quickly cover any couple of hundred in Value. However, it will be a gun that has a lineage that will mean more for the three of you overall.

Then there is the Dad factor.

I would shoot the heck out of it.

7.62 Nato
April 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
Take Dad, and the wife out to the range. He gets first shot.

mokin
April 17, 2011, 06:58 PM
Take your wife and the Colt to the range and make it a big date. Have fun. Tell your wife what an occcasion it is.

oldbear
April 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
Shoot it, and when you do remember all the fun you and Dad had together shooting the other one.

Jim NE
April 17, 2011, 07:40 PM
He's my problem with unfired weapons - you never know for certain that they actually work! Even though it's unlikely that a colt quality revolver wouldn't work new out of the box, it would be nice to know how WELL it works. There may come an unforeseen time or circumstance when you'll actually need to use that weapon.

Having said that, have you actually researched the value difference between an unfired and a lightly used gun of your model? Could be there's not enough difference to worry about.

Also, keep in mind - your Dad is the guy who bought it and kept it unfired all those years, and HE'S the one suggesting you actually go out and use it. Seems he's come to the same conclusion that many others have: it isn't worth owning if it isn't worth using. Jusy my opinion.

Nushif
April 17, 2011, 07:40 PM
[...] she made a comment that a larger handgun was on her mind, that is when my dad said, "I have a 38 that might be just right", today he handed me the colt.

Sounds like it's not your choice to make. He gave the gun to her. O.o
It's a nice gun and a collector's piece. It's also *her* nice gun and collector's piece.
My wife would deaderize me with great pain if I ever posted about "screening" how she uses her guns.

Doug Add
April 17, 2011, 08:21 PM
Take Dad, and the wife out to the range. He gets first shot.
Excellent suggestion!

sideways
April 17, 2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds to me like Dad give to your wife to shoot. I think you maybe go against his wishes if you don't.

dbro822
April 18, 2011, 01:14 AM
Well it is going to be a shooter. I have always enjoyed shooting, and to not shoot the colt in my mind would not honor the makers. 7.62 Nato, I like your idea, that being said my wife, my dad, one nice little colt and I have a date. As far as a collector I think I like to collect firearms that put a little bit of a smile on my face, and shooting them has a way of doing that. Add to the fact that it might do the same for the wife is a good bonus.

Thanks for the advice guys.

oldfool
April 18, 2011, 01:25 AM
keep wife (she sounds like a keeper to me)
send dad (along with any guns he owns)
I will take him shooting :D
any/all of 'em

sixgunner455
April 18, 2011, 01:41 AM
I found a very nice, LNIB S&W recently. I put it on layaway and I'm paying a lot more than I ever expected to for a S&W. Either when my tax return comes, or I finish selling a couple of other things, I fully intend to shoot the snot out of it, and carry it every chance I get. When one of my kids inherits it, I expect that it will have quite a bit of finish wear.

Except under great duress, it is a gun I will never sell. What is it? A fairly common K frame, a 3" Model 13-3. Not as unusual these days as an unfired Diamondback, but they're made to be fired. It's what I enjoy most about them, myself - guns are for shooting.

4v50 Gary
April 18, 2011, 01:50 AM
What your father said. It'll bring you and wife closer together.

robctwo
April 19, 2011, 01:09 AM
I bought a nib S&W 19-3 4" this past year. Paid around $800 for it. Someone bought it and kept it brand new for me from 1972. Bless their hearts. I've put new springs in it, buffed and polished the interior and put a few thousand rounds down range, mostly .38 Specials. It is a dream to shoot. It will be in excellent shape for my kids when I'm gone.

Your Dad did just that for your wife.

Mac2
April 19, 2011, 01:33 AM
+1 on what 7.62 Nato said. Make a family thing out of it at the range. Making money on a NIB is not what your Dad intended. Go shoot it, take good care of it, and you weren't gonna sell your Dad's pistol anyhow. Enjoy it for what it is.

LHRGunslinger
April 19, 2011, 01:42 AM
Shoot it till it don't work no more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sould I let her shoot it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!