any Boy Scouts out there?

PDA

natedog
December 26, 2002, 10:57 PM
any boy scouts or former boy scouts out there? im currently a boy Scout, and i got my Life Rank a few months ago. boy scouts is the main thing that has gotten me into guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "any Boy Scouts out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
December 26, 2002, 11:00 PM
One right here. Loved every second of it. Rifle shooting and shotgun shooting merit badges on my sash :)

22x9
December 26, 2002, 11:08 PM
Eagle Scout - '88

cratz2
December 26, 2002, 11:19 PM
Didn't quite make Boy Scouts... I was a Cub Scout all the way up to Webelos... that was the end of Cub Scouts, right? With the sun over the arrow...

Man, that was a long time ago.

Greg L
December 26, 2002, 11:21 PM
Way back in the last century I was (Life, a couple of mb & project short of Eagle). Currently a Den Leader in Cubs for my middle son and Assistant Den Leader for my oldest (who is moving up to Boy Scouts in a couple of months). Finish up your Eagle, you'll regret it later if you don't.

Greg

Chugach
December 26, 2002, 11:36 PM
I'll echo what Greg L said. Keep going to Eagle. I was Life with about 4 merit badges short of Eagle when our troop disintegrated. Coulda found another troop, but didn't, and have regretted it since.

My son was in Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Boy Scouts. He dropped out, but I'm still with the troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster.

One of my favorites things to do is firearm safety education with boys from the troop (sisters and parents sure welcome too), and activities like basic skeet.

<high horse on>
Boy Scouts is one of the few organizations left that focus on building young leaders of young men. Support 'em!
</high horse off>

deputy tom
December 26, 2002, 11:43 PM
I wasn't but My friend just received the Silver Beaver Award.He also in a member of the Order of the Arrow.Spends most of His free time working at the camp fixing or building something.A great group of volunteers.tom.:D

BamBam
December 26, 2002, 11:56 PM
I was a Scout in Wisconsin back in '74-'75.
I remember getting my Polar Bear badge. We had to hike and camp in sub-freezing weather to get it. Actually had a great time!

Dave R
December 27, 2002, 12:05 AM
Yes, I enjoyed scouting very much. Serve on a Scout committee now.

I have done some hiring during my career, and any resume with Eagle Scount on it automatically makes the first cut.

Gila Jorge
December 27, 2002, 12:17 AM
Scouting is a fine discipline for young boys who want to become men. Fine training. Was in cub scouts through Webelos...then moved to an area that had no scout troups. But went into Boys Brigade at church...similar. When I look at possible employees I look for scouting and military in backgrounds for a first cut base. Neither and you don;t make it. Blessings. Especially with all the heresy about homosexuality and the Untied Way! Watching the news tonight about a place in ********** where Untied Way did not want to contribute to scouts and this man and his wife set out and campaigned to raise money for the troup....came out better by far.

Edited by Preacherman (as moderator) to remove one sentence on 12/26/02, 11.37 p.m.

Jeff White
December 27, 2002, 12:30 AM
I was a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Explorer, then Webelos Den Leader, then Assistant Scoutmaster, then Scoutmaster...

It's a great program. Don't give up on your quest for Eagle. It will mean a lot to you in adult life. Worth an extra stripe on enlistment into the Army if that's where your dreams take you. You've already learned things that will serve you well in adult life.

Jeff

MitchSchaft
December 27, 2002, 12:44 AM
Was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout. I made it to Life rank, but teenage life kept my out of making Eagle :(.

Smiley
December 27, 2002, 01:42 AM
Eagle Scout 97'
Silver Beaver award 97" (whatever the heck that thing was that I got awarded)

i remember lighting off .22s all week long at summer camp. I think that was the only thing I did for activities the whole time I was there.

Teenage life almost got me away from the end goal and took some of my friends away form it. however all my really close friends were Boy Scouts with me and We had 8 Eagle Scouts form our city within in a one year period.

There is a local scout troop that does a camping trip right on the Skeet range of our shooting range. They spend the whole weekend there and get their riflery MB.

Stick with it until Eagle. Some may ridicule you for it. Earning my Eagle rank helped in a big way to get me my last job as a supervisor.

Smiley
December 27, 2002, 01:48 AM
I just wanted to add that my friends that didn't make it to Eagle pretty much all regret not going for it. Not a terribe loss for them. But a regret non the less.

P-35/53
December 27, 2002, 02:08 AM
Former Cub Scout , Boy Scout , Cub and Scout leader and poossibly soon to be comittee member . Also Father of two former Scouts. Great orginaztion.

Kamicosmos
December 27, 2002, 02:33 AM
Eagle Scout, 2 palms 1990.
Warrior in Mic-O-Say.
Brotherhood in Order of the Arrow.

I used to not think much of my Boy Scout days...but I have come around and really look back on those events with fondness.

Keep it up, all the way to Eagle!

Adam White
December 27, 2002, 07:02 AM
I gave up on Scouts at a young age - though I stayed relatively active until around 16.

I blame it on a lot of things, not the least of which was an anti-gun scoutmaster and adults who would put you in charge until you made a decision that they disagreed with - then they would take charge (Well, at least it was good training for my current job!). But the truth is, I just lost interest.

I was fortunate to have a high school JROTC program where I found myself learning real hard core fieldcraft from former Special Forces officers, etc. I also learned to shoot - really shoot (While my first time shooting a rifle was in Boy Scouts, I went to summer camp after my first year of high school and could outshoot everybody there). I started to look at my scout troop at the joke that it was - especially when the next year I was shooting M16s!

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Scouting program is wonderful - the version where I was was just didn't appeal to my teen-aged need for adventure. I almost wish my ROTC cadre were also involved in Scouts - they probably could have motivated me to finish (I had little respect for my scout leaders).

I have since met other former scouts who have told me stories that make me envious. Stories of shooting programs, serious outdoor activities for the older guys, etc. 'Seems our whole program was focused on the 11-13 year olds.

Oh well. I, like many others, left while just a merit badge and service project away from Eagle. I turned 18 a month after completion of Basic Training for the Army - my time was up and I moved on.

Adam

David Blinder
December 27, 2002, 07:23 AM
Eagle with 1 bronze & 1 silver palm-1978. Currently an assistant scoutmaster in my son's troop where he recently made Life. Guarantees are hard to come by in life but if you'll live your life adhering to ideals set forth in scouting, you have excellent odds of being happy and successful.

Michael
December 27, 2002, 09:02 AM
Eagle Scout - Class of 1975 - (and 11 palms - didn't have a girlfriend to get in the way at the time).
OA - Brotherhood
God and Country

Never regretted it, and it has led to a lifelong Scouting experience that includes many great memories, close friends, and a wonderful opportunity to provide meaningful service to others while simultaneously making a positive impact on the future. The principles I learned in Scouting, like those I learned from church and my parents (it's interesting how those principles are the same across that spectrum), have served me well during my life, as they will well serve you also. With a new baby boy due early next year, I suspect I will get to go through the program again - I can't wait. Get busy, Natedog :D , make me proud!

Sincerely,

Michael

ahenry
December 27, 2002, 09:56 AM
I’m an Eagle. Stayed in until I got too old despite more than a few moments of teenage angst given to me in a large part by associates that weren’t Scouts. I’ve learned more about being a man from belonging to this organization than I have from any other single group. In those incredibly impressionable years of ones youth, its good to be a part of a group that teaches character as well as the BSA does.

redbone
December 27, 2002, 10:01 AM
Me: Eagle, Troop 112, 1969

Father got silver beaver years before.

My older son got his Eagle in 1998, also BSA Lifeguard and every waterfront merit badge at camp (swimming, lifesaving, canoeing, sailing, boating, rowing, and skiing).

Younger son spent too much time as an "involuntary" scout, and never joined, but he's probably the best outdoorsman of us all.

I've been a Scoutmaster, Committee Chairman, etc. Currently the Chartered Org. Rep. Go Troop 120! We've graduated over 15 Eagles in ten years.

Scouting is a great program for a lot of reasons. A big one that doesn't get much press is that it allows a father to stay well-connected with his son during the teenage years.

RBH

Jeff OTMG
December 27, 2002, 10:09 AM
I am in the same company as Mitch. I made life, but at 14 I got a motorcycle and a girlfriend at 15. That was the end of scouting for me.

stephen_g22
December 27, 2002, 10:55 AM
I earned my Life rank at 12 and my Eagle at 17 (1986). I dropped out for awhile and came back once my Mom and Dad pointed out how close I was to Eagle. Besides that I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Scouting.

Stick with it, you won't regret it.

Waitone
December 27, 2002, 11:53 AM
Cub Scout--Pack 56 Ft. Jackson, SC
Boy Scout--Troop 56 Same
Explorer
Eagle Scout 1 Palm
Order of the Arrow
Philmont NM

Being in a troop sponsored by a military reservation I got to do things no one else could. Very helpful when the post's commanding general was a sponsor and his sons were in the troop.

Shooting you ask? How 'bout M-16's, 1911's, M-14's.
Field skills you ask? 20 mile forced marches, 5 miles routinely. Rapelling (sp?), land navigation, particularly good a night navigation, orienteering, combat swimming, mountaineering, escape and evasion, lifeguard, brushfire fighting, backfiring,

The memories just flood back.

Left the scouts and have not returned. What is being to the scouts is criminal in my view. I support them, but I can not fight two fronts at the same time. I chose the RKBA front.

Keep driving until you achieve Eagle. You'll never regret it. Being an Eagle puts you into very, very exclusive company.

Thanks for asking the question.

Guy B. Meredith
December 27, 2002, 01:23 PM
The Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts are one of those all too rare opportunities for kids to learn to look out into the world and become exposed to something more than cell phones and trivial type of surface socializing.

Having a chance at learning to shoot safely was one of the most memorable events in my life. Absolutely fell in love with those .22 cal rifles with peep sight and bull barrel. Couldn't figure out the disgusted look on the shooters' faces as they rested though, until I tried serious marksmanship.

I am very sure that my curiosity about the world and how it works, desire to look beyond the surface to understand comes from experiences and the mind set of being a Boy Scout.

2dogs
December 27, 2002, 02:05 PM
Cub Scout- Bobcat if I remember correctly. Is that right?

Anyway, I went down hill from there. :o

Ed
December 27, 2002, 02:27 PM
Eagle scout in 1988. Great fun.

Penman
December 27, 2002, 02:40 PM
Eagle Scout, God & Country, OA

Many, many years ago; back when cars had triangular wheels (one less bump than a square wheel)

DAT
December 27, 2002, 02:42 PM
Ealge Scout '91
Troop 143 Milwaukie, Oregon

Stick it out and get the Eagle. You won't regret it.

Good Luck,
DAT

chaim
December 27, 2002, 02:45 PM
When I was a kid I was a Cub Scout but never a Boy Scout. I wanted to join but my parents would never sign me up (they are extremely liberal but I never figured out what their problem was as their refusal to sign me up was before the left-wing uproar over the gay and athiest things).

prisoner6
December 27, 2002, 03:04 PM
Eagle Scout here.

TimH
December 27, 2002, 05:55 PM
I was a Boy Scout way back when. I can't remember what rank I made it to. I think Star. We were really blessed with great scout masters. Went on many 50 miler canoe trips ( got the badges to prove it ) in the Adirondacks. Lots of freeze outs. Plenty of camping. Was lucky enough to spend most of this time with my dad who was really involved.....ahhh the memories

boyscout
December 27, 2002, 06:02 PM
I was never a boyscout, but I was the scoutmaster for troop 237 in Galveston, IN for about ten years. I belive its a great organization.

Camshaft
December 27, 2002, 06:39 PM
i was in scuts from 11-16. great times. we spent a week on the AT once. i actually turned 13 while sleeping in a canoe on the buffalo river.

Monkeyleg
December 27, 2002, 06:51 PM
Wow, lots of Eagle scouts here!

Never made it past Tenderfoot because I couldn't figure out knots. (My wife still laughs at the way I tie my shoes).

I was in for a few years, though, and really enjoyed it.

mt_goodrich
December 27, 2002, 08:01 PM
Eagle Scout....Class of 1982.

Boy Scouts kept me out of trouble and on the right path. Had some of the best experiences as a Scout.

RangerGrant
December 27, 2002, 10:02 PM
Went the whole route, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts (Eagle in '70), Police Explorers. As an adult, Asst. SM, SM, Troop Committee Chairman.

Had a great time working with the kids. The parents were a different story. Most could not except that I was not a uniformed baby sitting service.

best, RG

Ewok
December 27, 2002, 11:01 PM
When I look at possible employees I look for scouting and military in backgrounds for a first cut base. Neither and you don;t make it.I prefer that candidates leave their religious or pseudo-religious affiliations off of their résumés.

TheLastBoyScout
December 27, 2002, 11:18 PM
Life Scout
Campstaff, Treasure Island SR, 2002, 2003
Ordeal member of Unami 1

I really could care less about 'regular' scouting right now, the program is boring, and the majority of the people in my troop need solid and frequent ass kickings. I just want to get my eagle then drop all this horse****. I would go JROTC, but I'm in a fairly liberal area, so I don't know if there are any units in existence, or how to contact them.
I do like working at TI though, because most of the people there are as hardcore as I am, its just a disciplined environment where most of the things that piss me off about my troop are just not tolerated.

PATH
December 27, 2002, 11:34 PM
Made it to Life Scout. Paperwork got screwed up and I never got credit for one badge that would have made me an Eagle. Went on to be an ASM and a District Round TAble Comm.

Left Scouting altogether at age 24. I miss it.

Adam White
December 28, 2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by TheLastBoyScout

I really could care less about 'regular' scouting right now, the program is boring, and the majority of the people in my troop need solid and frequent ass kickings. I just want to get my eagle then drop all this horse****. I would go JROTC, but I'm in a fairly liberal area, so I don't know if there are any units in existence, or how to contact them.

Sounds like you are going through the same type of experience I went through. Good luck.

I had forgotten, but your post reminded me that I even tried a Law Enforcement Explorer unit for a while - I was the only regular scout in the program, though, so I lost interest in pursuing Eagle.

Adam

sm
December 28, 2002, 03:03 AM
Life
OoA
quit , to support family and sibs/ stuff getting weird late 60's/early 70's
best memories shooting(duh) camping , 10 days in Canada and the time blindfolded dumped with knife,compass,5 matches,baker's chocolate bar, small box of raisens, twine and crude map. "Ok you got 36 hours, and maybe 20 miles to get back...see ya <dump>".

Kharn
December 28, 2002, 08:31 AM
Eagle Scout '98
OA Brotherhood

When my parents asked why I felt the need to own guns (when I was ~19, got Eagle ~17), one of my responses was "the Boy Scouts taught me to shoot and be prepared."

Kharn

labgrade
December 28, 2002, 09:43 AM
BS from way back - Life (or something like it ;) ) OA

Did a couple stints as an Assistant Scoutmaster & was merit badge counsellor for The Springs area district for about 8 badges or so. Took a few on High Adventure backpacking things here 'n there.

Best Bet for a good turn daily was a retarded young man whom I counselled for weeks upon weeks to get his first aid badge. Unbelieveable stamina required on both ends of that equation, but he pulled through & learned the info true & well.

Got his First Class about one day before his 18th birthday. Can you say excited? (so very :cool: ) Felt like I got to stamp PAID on a couple past debts .....

Be Prepared?

What else?

BHPshooter
December 28, 2002, 12:48 PM
I'm an Eagle Scout as of 2001, finished my Eagle Project about 2 weeks before my 18th birthday.
Procrastination is killer!
I also must say that I like that the BSA is standing up for what they believe in. My hat's off to them.

Wes

Ironbarr
December 28, 2002, 12:59 PM
Troop 22, Secaucus, NJ, '44/'46 - Star. Couldn't swim so Life was out. Sea Scout Ship 35, '46/'48 - Able Seaman, same town. Still couldn't swim, so in '49 joined U.S. Navy, assigned destroyers and did 20. Still can't swim (but I learned to float). :D

There was an ice cream shop in town (a whole 10,000 population). When the scouting world let out of our meetings (all met Friday night, weekly), the fountain and booths were deluged with Cubs, Brownies, Girl & Boy Scouts, and Sea Scouts for a couple hours. Lots of fun and games. Getting an order was difficult, seconds were almost impossible.

Good times growing up (in a far different world than today).

-Andy

s&w 24
December 28, 2002, 01:13 PM
life scout,sea explorer,3 yrs camp couselor(1 as feild sport instructor-that means shooting :D )

Brad Johnson
December 28, 2002, 05:46 PM
Eagle Scout - 1978, Order of the Arrow - 1978, National Jamboree - 1979.

Brad

chink
December 28, 2002, 09:22 PM
Eagle Scout 1994
Charter Member Trop 452 Cupertino, Ca
OA

I got out when I was 18 ish. I have always wanted to help out the troop, but I really can't find the time right now.

garrick

Griff
December 29, 2002, 06:18 AM
Cubs, Webelos, Life Scout. Some of the best days of my life, def. plan to share / give some back when we can.
Did Rifle and Shotgun MB in a neighbor's back yard. Different world then, for sure.

Politically Incorrect
December 29, 2002, 03:08 PM
I started out in an east Dayton, Ohio Boy Scout troop with a great Scoutmaster named Howard Norris. I moved a year later with my father and ended up in another troop which wasn't as disciplined.

That next troop would introduce me to my longest friendship I've ever had, but it would also introduce me to politics.

The third year at summer camp, the fellow scout chosen for the Order of the Arrow was none other than the Scoutmaster's son. Every other scout of our troop had wanted someone else. We protested even going to the OA because of it.

I'm sure that if I had never moved, I would have obtained Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow. I did have a great mentor in Mr. Norris.

Unfortunately, not all Scoutmasters are equal in their ability. The BSA is a great organization and I wish that I had not gotten away from it when I was a teenager, but I moved once again and decided not to pursue it any longer in the new town. Partying and girls (and even partying with girls) were more important to me by then.

Cougar
December 29, 2002, 03:53 PM
Proud to be an Eagle Scout, class of 1974. The last class under the 'old' system before they 'improved it'. :rolleyes:

MikeK
December 29, 2002, 04:26 PM
Yes, decades ago. Really enjoyed it, but didn't make it beyond 1st class. Got to shoot rifles and camp. It was a blast! My daughter is in Girl Scouts and my wife is the certified 'camp' person. A wonderful experience for everyone.

thumbtack
December 29, 2002, 05:08 PM
I always wanted to be a Boy Scout but never was. I do plan to encourage my son when he gets older.

If you enjoyed reading about "any Boy Scouts out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!