Another question..

PDA

GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
April 18, 2011, 09:58 PM
Anybody on here have any idea what 2 cans of Dupont Black Powder dated very early 1800's and never opened may be worth?. Must be worth something to somebody even though not me. I'm not a collector and I make good black powder when I take a notion to make a little here and there. I'm a Triple Seven 3fff man. If I couldn't get that I'd fall back on BlackMag3. If I couldn't get that then to hell with it. I'd make my own powder....PS..It's not for sale. Goes either to the NRA or to the Confederate Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. The decision as to which one will depend on the value of the two full containers..

If you enjoyed reading about "Another question.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
makos_goods
April 18, 2011, 11:39 PM
The "tins" cannot be from the early 1800s. Lammot du Pont saw gunpowder in tins for the first time when he was visiting Europe at the beginning of the War between the stars while he was securing additional sources for Potassium Nitrate. He brought samples back to Delaware and had tins duplicated. Before that their powder was in barrels and it was divied out in flasks, horns, pouches/bags (they were called powder safes).

What kind of caps do these "cans" have and what is the color? Also, what is the artwork and nomenclature on the containers?

~Mako

GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
April 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Mako, I might have worded it wrong. I should have said somewhere back in the 1800's. My daddy was born in 1898. The powder was some that his daddy (GrandPa) had already had for years before daddy was borned. It was among some stuff in an old trunk that my sister kept in the shed. It was locked up and she never broke the lock to go into it. GrandPa's .32 squirrel rifle is hanging on the wall in her bedroom. She had already given me daddy's smoking pipes and tobacco humidor (still half full of tobacco. I think it may be the brand 'Half and Half) after he passed over. When she asked me if I wanted the trunk I told her yes and so I got it. Not much in there. Mostly just some clothes and a pair of worn out boots. There's a Confederate Uniform in there with some dried blood on it (I think it's blood) and the Insignia for 14th Infantry Alabama. The 2 powder tins look like the tops screw off. (maybe). Anyway, some kind of fastener on top of each can. Might pry off; I don't know Mako. I'm not going to try to open them. GrandPa kept them for some reason. Daddy kept them for some reason to. Who the hell am I to try and open them up? I didn't see a date on either can; I just know they're pretty damn old...,Thank you for your help.. I have sent 2 e-mails to the NRA and in a couple of days I will call the Museum. One of them will give me the skinny on everything....

towboat_er
April 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
cool finds. Congrats.

zimmerstutzen
April 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
There's sometimes debate over whether the older powders were "hotter" than modern powders. Some reading of Gov't testing in the 1830'as and 1840's indicates that it may have been. But the testing equipment was not the same either. Using a ballistics pendulum to measure ft/lbs of energy and then back wards calculating velocity.

It would be interesting to compare to modern powders. I pulled the bullets on some 1880's factory cartridges and used it in my percussion rifle. Very unscientifically, it seems to have more oomph. Even if just to use 200 grains of it to shoot a shot string over a chronie.

makos_goods
April 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
GOTC,
They may even be early 20th century. Tell us what color the can is and describe the label and we can get you closer to the time period. There are people who collect cans and cartridge boxes who can help us.

I have a friend who collects cartridges, boxes and cans ( believe he is registered on this forum), he can help if you will describe the color, and labeling.

~Mako

shunka
April 19, 2011, 09:27 PM
My Dear Monsiuer Charcoal -
try heading over here to Joe Salter -

http://www.joesalter.com/listings.php?f_qrycat=Powder%20Cans

he has a plethora of antique powder tins, and you may be able to match up your with his photos, not to mention get an idea of asking prices...

if you can suuply sufficient data or photos to our good Mako, he and/or his compadres will surely get you swaured away.
yhs

BHP FAN
April 20, 2011, 02:07 AM
I sold an empty red Dupont tin to a collector for forty bucks...for yours with the powder intact, I'd go up from there...

If you enjoyed reading about "Another question.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!