Ruger Sp101 and LCR?

PDA

J_McLeod
April 19, 2011, 12:27 AM
Never owner a revolver, and only fired them a few times, but thinking about getting one after the trip to the gun store today. Looking for something fairly small and lightweight, in .357 and tolerable to shoot. It's main use would be as a carry gun for camping and hiking. Anyone own one of these and have some feedback. I'm leaning toward the SP-101 because I think the LCR's 2in barrel is a bit too short.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Sp101 and LCR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
April 19, 2011, 12:36 AM
You said you want something light and then you mentioned the SP-101. Those two don't mix well because the SP-101 is considerably heavier than most revolvers of it's size. If you're going to carry something that heavy why not carry a 3" Ruger GP100 or 3" S&W M686?

If you really want something light go with the Ruger LCR, S&W Bodyguard or a S&W J frame. There are many 2.5" and 3" J frames available in the current catalog.

Sox
April 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
Have both. The SP is way heavier and has many sharp edges. The LCR is lightweight and smooooth everywhere. I prefer the LCR, the grips "Hogue Tamer" really help dampen recoil. The weight of the SP also attenuates the recoil very well. If your gonna tote the thing around the LCR would probably be more comfortable. Either way you wont lose. I would try to shoot each before deciding. Shoot the same load in both guns and try to compare 'em side by side if possible.

J_McLeod
April 19, 2011, 12:40 AM
I guess a better way to put it is something comparable to a 4" XD or smaller. I'll look into those. Don't know anything about revolver models. I'm partial to Ruger, but open to other brands.

I like the feel and handling of the LCR, but worried I enjoy carrying it, but not shooting it.

TonyB
April 19, 2011, 07:32 AM
I carried an SP for years. Great gun, but a bit heavy. I switched to an airweight and went to pocket carry and never looked back. Do I take it to the range for a 3 hours session..no, but it is real easy to carry all the time when it's so light and fits in a pocket. What I did like about the sp was it was easy to take apart and clean, and you could shoot 357's w/out crying. Like a dope I sold it, wish I still had it.

harmon rabb
April 19, 2011, 08:17 AM
Looking for something fairly small and lightweight, in .357 and tolerable to shoot.

Well then, you have a problem. The LCR is small and light weight; the SP101 is larger and much heavier. The LCR would be (based upon shooting .38+p in a LCR) not tolerable to shoot in 357, while the SP101 is very tolerable in 357.

How are you going to carry this revolver? If you want to pocket carry, this thread might as well be over, because the SP101 is just too darn heavy for that. If you will belt carry, the SP101 may be a better choice due to its shootability, and comfort for extended practice sessions.

harmon rabb
April 19, 2011, 08:21 AM
You said you want something light and then you mentioned the SP-101. Those two don't mix well because the SP-101 is considerably heavier than most revolvers of it's size. If you're going to carry something that heavy why not carry a 3" Ruger GP100 or 3" S&W M686?

Uh, no. I have a GP100 and a SP101. The GP100 is considerably larger and heavier. It's not even close.

In addition, when you say the SP101 is heavier than other revolvers of its size, what revolvers are you talking about? I don't really see anything out there the size of the SP101. It's an intermediate size halfway between the j-frame sized revolvers and the duty sized revolvers, and I don't see a smith or taurus equivalent.

To me, what the SP101 represents is the smallest / lightest 357 that is comfortable to shoot with 357.

Craigman
April 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
I like the feel and handling of the LCR, but worried I enjoy carrying it, but not shooting it.

Exactlty!
I had a SP101 and absoultely loved shooting it and 200 rounds at the range was not uncommon. (mix 38/357) Its definately a tank (durability wise) but not all that bad to carry. You definately knew it was there but it also felt like I had exactly what I wanted and or needed too. A gun I was good at shooting and was comfortable with. This all comes from how awesome it felt to shoot and how comfortable it was to shoot with .38's and .357's.

I sold it and actually stepped up to a GP100 6". not to carry, but because I like long range shooting.

Now I carry my 4" 1911.....heavy..... to each their own i guess.

IMHO, You will not regret the SP101 if you get it. LCR....maybe....

PabloJ
April 19, 2011, 09:49 AM
Spend the money and get 8-shot S&W .357 "Nightwatchman?". Why carry 5-shot paperweight if you don't have to?

J_McLeod
April 19, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well then, you have a problem. The LCR is small and light weight; the SP101 is larger and much heavier. The LCR would be (based upon shooting .38+p in a LCR) not tolerable to shoot in 357, while the SP101 is very tolerable in 357.

How are you going to carry this revolver? If you want to pocket carry, this thread might as well be over, because the SP101 is just too darn heavy for that. If you will belt carry, the SP101 may be a better choice due to its shootability, and comfort for extended practice sessions.
I wouldn't pocket carry. I have an LCP and PF9 for that. It would be belt carry, while camping, hiking etc. Mostly open carry, or concealed where I'm not too worried about it showing. Because I hike long distances, I want to be mid to small size.

IlikeSA
April 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
From what you just described, the SP101 would suit your needs. You already have pocket autos for CC. The LCR wouldn't do much more than the pocket autos you already have.
You should consider this though: velocity is comparable from the short barrels in 9mm vs 38. While you are shooting a heavier grain bullet from the 38, overall it isn't that much of an upgrade (in my opinion)

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108
Ruger SP101, 3 inch- 1143 fps (458 ft. lbs.)

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=119
Glock 19, 4 inch barrel------------------------------------1296 fps -50-75 FPS for 3 inch barrel length.

The 357 from the SP101, on the other hand, is an upgrade.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100
Item 19C/20-158gr. Jacketed Hollow Point = 1398 fps from a 3 inch J frame

I personally carry a 3 inch GP100 in the woods, loaded with hot hardcast rounds, but then again, my needs and possible encounters may be different from yours. I just think that you will be happier with the SP101 for what you describe.

Paladin38-40
April 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
Get a gun belt like Beltman's and a pancake holster for the Ruger 3" SP101. Or consider an S&W 3" model 60. You will have a real gun instead of something made from recycled toothbrush handles and sardine cans:eek:, and will forget you even have it on. A 25-27 ounce gun ain't that heavy, but are way more comfortable to shoot than the lightweights.

NMGonzo
April 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
I shoot 158 grain buffalo bore out of the sp101 for critter defense.

Try that on anything else that size.

Specs
April 19, 2011, 09:34 PM
Have you fired 357 in the LCR 357? It is not the beast that some think. 38+p in the 357 LCR is very light shooting, in fact it is my training round. 357 is more of a handful, but I can keep 5 in COM at 7 yards which is all I need for SD. Honest, the 357 will not knock you down or break your wrist as some think. It will, however, do it's stuff in a SD situation.

J_McLeod
April 19, 2011, 11:34 PM
The last time I fired any revolver was in 08, and I have very little experience with them. Just think one would be better suited for carrying outdoors than either of my 9mms.

J_McLeod
April 19, 2011, 11:56 PM
Would 500 be a good price for an Sp101 with 170 rds of ammo and a holster? looking at FTF sale locally.

IlikeSA
April 20, 2011, 01:16 AM
Just checked on gunbroker and they are running in the high 400s, so I would say with the ammo and holster it'd be a good deal.

Ledgehammer
April 20, 2011, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't pocket carry. I have an LCP and PF9 for that. It would be belt carry, while camping, hiking etc. Mostly open carry, or concealed where I'm not too worried about it showing. Because I hike long distances, I want to be mid to small size.

Ok so you're really looking for an open carry woods gun. LCR is going to beat everything out there in weight. Shootability is going to be the heavier gun. The lcr wasn't designed to be a hiking gun. It's a ccw gun through and through.

richardKatts
April 20, 2011, 06:25 PM
I don't own a LCR but I really enjoy my SP101 and bought it barely used, 100 rds, for $400. with a Cross Breed Holster included BUT, I carry a P238.

IF my choice to carry was between the SP and the LCR I'd wear the LCR just for the weight savings. Many carry the SP but I think it's too heavy for me to carry. I might someday and may change my mind.

TXHORNS
April 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
The LCR and J-frames are made to be carried a lot, shot little. Sure there are those who enjoy the brutal recoil of a super light gun with 357's but I'm not one of them. I own a Smith M&P 340 and do NOT shoot 357 out of it. 38+P is fine by me and isn't fun at that. The LCR I shot with 38+p was similar to my 340, if you need it you'll have it but its not fun to shoot. The S&W 60 is right in the middle of the pocket guns and the SP101 and in my opinion its great for 38's but not 357s. As one person already said the SP101 is the smallest gun I'd choose for 357. A K frame snubbie 19/66 might be even better at 6 shots of 357 but much bulkier and not as strong as the Ruger. The SP101 really is an awesome gun, mine is the 2" and I find myself wanting a 3" as well. Lots of neat tricks you can do to them such as cleaning up the action a bit - instructions are easy to find online. For your belt get the SP101, no doubt the best choice for what you want. $500 otd, ammo and holster would tempt me big time.

NMGonzo
April 20, 2011, 08:53 PM
Would 500 be a good price for an Sp101 with 170 rds of ammo and a holster? looking at FTF sale locally.

Are you positive that is what you want?

If so go for it.

NEVER sell it.

gamestalker
April 21, 2011, 12:56 AM
My choice would be both, but that's just me. I can't discriminate against either one.

skidder
April 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
The LCR is mostly comprised of polymer and aluminum. The spec-sheet on Rugers website says, "barrel material is stainless steel". The sp101 says, "material is stainless steel". Why don't they say what the lcr is made of on their website? If you want a deformed plastic Dick Tracy cap gun go right ahead, but I'll stick with a solid double walled frame stainless steel construction any day :rolleyes:......SP101 or bust.....:)

Specs
April 21, 2011, 09:09 AM
The spec sheet on the 357 LCR says "blackened stainless". The barrel is stainless steel. The stainless is why it weighs more than the aluminum LCR. Just to be sure, I just checked the entire upper and yes, it's steel. The grip frame is not. No worries about an aluminum 357, the 38 spec +p is aluminum, but about 4 ozs. lighter..

GRAPE-DRANK
April 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
A Ruger SP101 IHMO is the smallest platform to shoot .357. Heavy, but built tough. I would put it up against a Taurus or an airweight as far as durability over time.

skidder
April 21, 2011, 03:19 PM
My mistake, I was reading the specs on the 38.....but it's still ugly;)

Specs
April 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
My mistake, I was reading the specs on the 38.....but it's still ugly;)
I can see that you have never seen one in person, let alone fired one. Mine is beautiful, handles 357 rounds like a cream puff and is as accurate as I am.

JCallaway82
April 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
I shot the LCR last weekend. I loved it. Actually my buddy had the .357 and we shot .38 and some +P out of it, as well. He had the .38 originally, but wanted the versatility of the .357. So he traded up.

The .357 was pretty killer. The .38 was a breeze through it, and the +p had a little stank on it, but manageable.

I never shot the .38 version, but he told me he traded for the .357 because it is steel instead of aluminum, and it is the same size basically. A few ounces heavier (4, I believe).

Not sure if the 4 ounces really makes that much of a difference and the guns are about the same price.....

So...I guess the .357 would maybe be the better choice. SS is nice. ;)

Smaug
April 21, 2011, 11:37 PM
The muzzle blast and flash are tremendous. I can tolerate only a few cylinders from my 3" SP-101, I would not want to try it in a polymer-framed snubby. After shooting a few boxes, I've cured myself of this curiosity. Now, I keep it loaded with 38 +P hollow points, which are tolerable and even fun to shoot a lot of.

You should definitely rent one and try it before buying.

A big-bore, low pressure round/gun is much more viable than the .357 in a snub. Look at the S&W 325 Night Guard.

Specs
April 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
The beauty of the LCR 357 is that I can pocket carry it daily. This is not a gun intended to just go the range, it was designed to be a CCW which can handle powerful rounds. I train with 158 gr 38 spec +p, but I carry 357 magnum in it. My requirement was that I could reliably hit COM at 7 yards with all 5 shots in a hurry, and this is easily done. The blast does not mean much in a SD situation, and the recoil is manageable. Those Hogue Tamer grips and the 17 oz weight make it an ideal high powered pocket CCW.

Water-Man
April 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
For me, .357 goes with a GP-100 or a 696, preferably with a 4" barrel. A good belt and belt holster finishes it off. Anything smaller uses .38+P.

harmon rabb
April 22, 2011, 11:33 AM

The SP101 would be perfect for what you describe then.

skidder
April 25, 2011, 02:11 AM
I have handled one but never shot one. They are still ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:rolleyes:

Specs
April 25, 2011, 08:40 AM
I have handled one but never shot one. They are still ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:rolleyes:

To reply to your repeated "ugly" when describing the LCR, I must say that perhaps you saw an ugly LCR, but in my eye it is beautiful, to repeat myself yet again. I really did not buy it to demonstrate my superior esthetic tastes,and the only people who will ever see it won't be too concerned about it's artistic lines and curves.

Smaug
April 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
I can see that you have never seen one in person, let alone fired one. Mine is beautiful, handles 357 rounds like a cream puff and is as accurate as I am.

Wow. You must be one tough fellow. I wouldn't even say my 3" SP-101 handles 357s like a cream puff, much less a much lighter LCR. The GUN can handle it, to be sure, but "like a cream puff?" You're not talking about the "Managed Recoil" loads, are you?

As for your earlier comments on carrying 357 after practicing with 38, that doesn't seem smart. I agree that the blast is not an issue, as adreneline deadens hearing. But the flash and recoil could damn well be an issue. If you shoot and miss, (which is likely, since the target will be moving) the extra recoil and flash are going to cause you to spend more time regaining sight picture and finding your target. Just my thoughts on the matter. It is sometimes easy to lose touch with reality, since we don't often shoot moving targets under stress.

460Kodiak
April 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
Personally, I'd go with the SP101 over the LCR. It will be far more shootable (yes I own one) and thus more useful in the woods. If you intend to open carry, I would suggest stepping it up to a S&W 686+ seven shot with a 2.5 or 3" barrel. They feel great in the hand, and are not that heavy. JMO

Specs
April 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
Wow. You must be one tough fellow. I wouldn't even say my 3" SP-101 handles 357s like a cream puff, much less a much lighter LCR. The GUN can handle it, to be sure, but "like a cream puff?" You're not talking about the "Managed Recoil" loads, are you?

As for your earlier comments on carrying 357 after practicing with 38, that doesn't seem smart. I agree that the blast is not an issue, as adreneline deadens hearing. But the flash and recoil could damn well be an issue. If you shoot and miss, (which is likely, since the target will be moving) the extra recoil and flash are going to cause you to spend more time regaining sight picture and finding your target. Just my thoughts on the matter. It is sometimes easy to lose touch with reality, since we don't often shoot moving targets under stress.
Tough? No, just seasoned. I have posted elsewhere on this, I am 67 years old, have arthritic hands, been shooting all of my life, and while "cream puff" may be a bit of exaggeration, I use the term to counter balance terms like "brutal" or "punishing" or whatever from others who probably have not fired an LCR 357. Once again, the Hogue grip is a real "Tamer" to use Hogue's term.

I have been using Speer Lawman 38 spec +P 158 gr training ammo, and while it is not the same as 357 magnum, it is practical costwise. I have also stated elsewhere that I can hit COM at 7 yards with 158 gr standard 357 magnum with 5 fast shots. Bear in mind that I am a mediocre marksman wearing bifocal glasses.

I am not trying to aggrandize myself here, just trying to offset a misconception regarding the LCR 357. I am confident in the revolver and the 357 round and I believe it to be a perfect CC or truck gun. I have not tried the 200 gr Double tap 357 hard cast which I carry in my Ruger Blackhawk, and doubt that I will. I am carrying the LCR as a CCW for SD only, not hunting.

J_McLeod
April 28, 2011, 12:40 AM
I made a big mistake yesterday and asked to see an SP-101 at a local Gun Store. I'm now the proud owner of a new 2.25" barrel SP-101. It felt good in my hand, and had a very nice trigger pull. I was surprised to see that it might be more comfortable to carry than my XD. Buying some dies and maybe a holster tonight.

CZF
April 28, 2011, 02:59 AM
As one who loves to shoot Magnums out of the SP-101s..
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/k452.jpg
I think you made the right choice..

In comparison to the superb LCR. The SP will handle .357 recoil better.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/13950604c1.jpg
Not much of a problem with weight as it's on the belt.

I like 125s for human defense, and 158s for animals due to the
penetration.

However, any solid hit with a Magnum round will do some real damage.

Go forth and prosper..you have a great revolver there!
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/1351073905.jpg

rich642z
April 28, 2011, 03:11 AM
I carry either one. For me in my own opinion,,,,,,both guns would do real fine. On the LCR in .357 mag,,,,,get a tighter grip on it. Just a tad tighter.

harmon rabb
April 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
I made a big mistake yesterday and asked to see an SP-101 at a local Gun Store. I'm now the proud owner of a new 2.25" barrel SP-101. It felt good in my hand, and had a very nice trigger pull. I was surprised to see that it might be more comfortable to carry than my XD. Buying some dies and maybe a holster tonight.

revolvers tend to be comfortable to carry because all the weight is in the cylinder and barrel (and hence is hanging directly down on your belt) as opposed to a semi-auto with a lot of weight in the grip.

also, the curve of the grip makes it easier to conceal. i can wear a t-shirt over my sp101, and the grip printing just looks like a crease in the fabric of the shirt, not a gun.

TraditionalCatholic
April 28, 2011, 04:52 PM
I will just throw in that the LCR in .357 is actually pretty mild recoiling considering it's such a light gun. Yes, it's a handful, but not extremely difficult to control by any means. With .38+p, it's almost a fun range gun.

dethwort
April 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
Has anyone noticed a really "deep" trigger pull on your SP-101 ? I have to bury the trigger before it fires.

TempestP226
April 28, 2011, 10:26 PM
SP101 is one of my carry guns. I love it, but it is heavy, the trigger is way heavy, and 357 is not at all pleasant to the hands. Depending on the size of your hands, you may find that you have to watch how close the middle finger of your firing hand gets to the trigger guard when firing 357 as it'll leave a good bruise. It functions flawlessly though, and I've learned a lot about trigger control using the stock trigger. Certainly capable of 1.5in groups at 25-30 yards while firing DA at a decent pace.

drbeans
April 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
I love my SP101 3". Bought it for backpacking and hiking (like the original poster specified). I would not want to go any lighter when firing Buffalo Bore 180gr loads at a charging black bear. I may be kidding myself as it is. I would prefer a GP100, but that would really be a pain to haul on a 30 mile hike.

There are lighter revolvers, but lighter is not better. I would be carrying one of those titanium S&W .44 mags if I thought I could shoot it accurately when I needed to.

TYFOOON
April 28, 2011, 11:17 PM
LCR +P 38 or nothing in LCR.

It's the weight and the ability that makes this gun great.

No "man" is going to react any differently if hit with .38 +P JHP's or a .357 mag. Just isn't an issue. Placement is placement and hit is hit.

Realize the LCR .38 +P is less than a pound loaded! Holy crap! Never leave home without it! 4 oz on a less than 1lbs gun is huge!

Got critters?
Sp101 or the like rules the roost.

You have to decide what your intended use is.

If I am weary of critters I have a S&W 19-4, or numerous other guns to carry holstered in the woods.

kludge
April 29, 2011, 11:03 AM
Normally I would say SP101, but for camping and hiking I would lean to the LCR.

Gary A
April 29, 2011, 11:11 AM
I don't really understand those who say the SP101 is too heavy. It is only 2 ounces heavier than the Smith and Wesson equivalent 640-1 and maybe 2 1/2 ounces heavier than a Model 60. Heavier, yes, but not so much heavier as to be a problem in carrying it. Sheesh!

ColtPythonElite
April 29, 2011, 04:14 PM
The only time I call my SP "too heavy" is when I think about pocket carry and compare it to an Agent or Cobra...IMO, I find it to be the perfect size and weight for a good holster.

I also don't get people's responses to shooting magnums out of them. I have shot piles of magnums out of mine over the years and never really thought much about it.

harmon rabb
April 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
I don't really understand those who say the SP101 is too heavy

for pocket carry it's damn heavy. for belt carry, it's fine.

I also don't get people's responses to shooting magnums out of them. I have shot piles of magnums out of mine over the years and never really thought much about it.

the SP101 actually handles 357 very, very well. i almost find it more comfortable with 357 than my GP100, for whatever reason, which is strange given that 38 is so much softer out of the GP than the SP.

jlynch34
April 29, 2011, 04:45 PM
I had a LCP and traded it for an LCR. Best moved I've made in a long time. LCR much better shooter with a great trigger pull. But it is a ccw and that's it. For a walk in the woods I carry one of my Ruger 41 mags.

forgetitohio
April 29, 2011, 05:43 PM
I got rid of my "pay for the name" S&W airweight 3" J for a LCR. Yea, I know BUT it's what I wanted in a CC wheel gun. Lighter smaller shoots +Ps and easier for me to conceal.

I practice with it a couple of times a wk. with different scenarios. I figure if something happens I'm going to hit what I'm shooting at.

I carry it everyday and can't think of a bad thing about it like my GP100s in 2" and 6". Rugers are good guns; plain and simple.

That which does not kill me makes me stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

J_McLeod
April 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
Shot 25rds of 38spcl before quitting due to wind. I was really nice. Even the DA trigger pull was lighter than I expected, and it surprised me a few times. It'll be pretty accurate once I get used to it. Looking forward to getting my dies in the mail.

J_McLeod
May 1, 2011, 12:50 AM
How well will holster for a S&W J frame with the same barrel size fit and SP 101?

ColtPythonElite
May 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
Depends on the holster.

J_McLeod
May 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
I like DeSantis. Looking for a good leather belt holster for it.

kbbailey
May 1, 2011, 11:19 PM
I made a big mistake yesterday and asked to see an SP-101 at a local Gun Store. I'm now the proud owner of a new 2.25" barrel SP-101.

Me too, went in for a PF9...came out with a SP101.141501

J_McLeod
May 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
Me too, went in for a PF9...came out with a SP101.141501
Nice. I like my PF9 a lot too.

CZF
May 3, 2011, 05:39 PM
The only bad thing about the LCRs, is the fact that Ruger probably won't ever offer the rumored aluminum framed SP-101.

harmon rabb
May 4, 2011, 03:05 PM
The only bad thing about the LCRs, is the fact that Ruger probably won't ever offer the rumored aluminum framed SP-101.

Because an aluminum framed SP101 would be stupid. The whole reason for the SP101's existence, in my mind, is to be the smallest "real" 357 (e.g. not a 38spl that can take a cylinder of 357 from time to time, but a gun that's made to eat a steady diet of 357, and is shootable with 357). Give it an aluminum frame and you degrade its strength and probably shootability down to that of the LCR and j-frames in 357, yet you'd still have a larger gun. Seems like the worst of all worlds there.

Specs
May 4, 2011, 05:29 PM
The 357 LCR is not aluminum. Ruger designed it to handle 357 and it does.

harmon rabb
May 4, 2011, 05:38 PM
The 357 LCR is not aluminum. Ruger designed it to handle 357 and it does.

Who said it was aluminum?

When I talk about 357, I'm thinking of full house loads, like the Buffalo Bore stuff. I'd like to see someone shoot that out of a LCR :o

rich642z
May 4, 2011, 05:56 PM
In the .357 LCR, it is steel and so is cylinder and barrel. It is an alloy type steel to take care of the pressures coming from the LCR in .357 magnum. I have one myself and mine shoots right on where I am pointing at plus,I have shot all the .357s even the small scanduim revolvers that S&W put out. See,Ruger listens to the consumer-customers to see what they need and want. Prices are alot lower to. So,consider the Ruger makes of handguns before you decide.

Specs
May 4, 2011, 06:17 PM
The comment that the LCR 357 was not a "real" 357 in context with the post implies that the LCR was inferior in some way. It is not a 38 spec built to handle a few cylinders of 357, it is a 357 magnum and just happens to be small enough to pocket carry. You won't do that with an SP101. I have no qualms shooting 124 or 158 gr 357 from mine, and have done so many times. Perhaps some who are recoil sensitive do not like to shoot 357, but many of us have no problem with it.

CZF
May 5, 2011, 10:53 PM
There are plenty of guys wed to the Sp-101 design that would welcome a slightly lighter gun to carry.

Not everyone shoots Magnums all the time or buys/wants buffalo bore.

Think of those that ankle carry the SP and only shoot it once a month at most?

doc.lonestar
May 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
weight is subjective and to be honest is not that large of difference to make it a deal breaker when we consider belt and holsters. Proper belt regardless if you carry owb, iwb and pocket, will make a difference in comfort level and the ability to carry all day long.

The Ruger LCR weighs in at 13.5 oz (38+p) and 17.10 oz (357)
The SP101 weighs 26 oz (38+p) and 25 oz (357) (yes that seems odd to me too but it came from Rugers website.

I am not a monster of man but less than 1lbs of difference is mute. I had the opportunity to get a 357 or 38+p lcr and went with the 38+p lcr because for my intended use as BUG not as a hunting weapon or trail gun.

Good luck and let us know what you went with.

Old John
May 7, 2011, 11:26 AM
I have both. I've had the SP101, .357 magnum, for about 10 years. The last 8 years it has been my every day carry, in a Galco high-ride open-top pancake holster, under a vest, untucked flannel shirt or a jacket.
Last Summer I bought a .38 special LCR. I carry it sometimes when I dress up, or just hanging out around the house. But....... The SP101 is still my favorite carry, loaded with 110 gr or 125 gr. HJLHP's. I'm soon going to buy an LCR .357 magnum.

dirtykid
May 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Ditto, ol-john I happened across a "Talo" edition engraved SP101 a couple years back and it hasnt left my side since !! a bit heavy so i secure it with a Galco-'fletch" belt holster when i can wear cover-shirt,, but for dress-up ocassions i will drop my LCR into a "pocket" holster ,,

dirtykid
May 7, 2011, 11:44 AM
Photo226.jpg
Here she is with CT over-molded grips,, it's a monster to shoot full-load magnums with, but managable still,,, and most important she PURRRRDY !!,, sorry jpg didnt transfer, google -it oh Yea, and with Hornady 140-gr FTX in it,its makes big mess ! I think i could knock-down a white-tail at close range !

wow6599
May 7, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have a 3" SP101 that I carry - 140 gr. XTP (.357) is my load of choice. When the LCR first came out I just shook my head in disgust, then one day I went to pick-up a gun at my FFL and he had one of each - .357 and .38. The trigger was great and I developed a crush on the .357 model on the spot. I don't own one (yet), but I can see their appeal.

But I would always choose the 3" SP101 over the LCR if I could only have one............

NMGonzo
May 7, 2011, 08:59 PM
Today I carry my sp101 in 3 inch.

Because I can shoot it well and doubles as a hiking gun here in NM with the hottest buffalo bore rounds I could find.

And the girl can shoot 38 specials from it without discomfort.

Dustin0104
July 18, 2011, 08:04 AM
I don't see why everyone says the LCR is brutal, I own a 2.25 sp and the .357 LCR and the wife would rather shoot the LCR. The grips on the Lcr make it much more managable to shoot IMO.

Specs
July 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
I think "everyone" describes those who do not own nor have fired an LCR357. Ilike mine and find that it shoots well with 357 standard rounds. If the gun had a small wood grip on it then I guess it would be painful, and perhaps it is this misunderstanding which is creating these false impressions. Yes, the recoil is there, but the grip does a good job, and it is not painful to shoot controllably.

sthomper
December 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc

the above video at the 6:30ish mark shows what appears to me to be effective pocket carry with an lcr.

460Kodiak
December 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
Based on your use, a full size GP100 or a S&W 686+ would be my suggestion if you intend to open carry it. If CC, then the SP-101 with a 3" bbl is a better option for your uses.

If pocket carry is what you desire, then the LCR will work better.

PabloJ
December 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
Never owner a revolver, and only fired them a few times, but thinking about getting one after the trip to the gun store today. Looking for something fairly small and lightweight, in .357 and tolerable to shoot. It's main use would be as a carry gun for camping and hiking. Anyone own one of these and have some feedback. I'm leaning toward the SP-101 because I think the LCR's 2in barrel is a bit too short.
If you want fairly small and LIGHT weight the LCR is the way to go. Use .38+Ps I promise there will be enough recoil there. If you want to shoot .357 I would look for "mid-framed" Ruger they no longer make. It was called Service, Security, or Speed Six depending on rear sight setup. That is about the best fairly small .357 for the money out there. They stopped making it because they wanted more shelf space by making SP101 and GP100.

mdauben
December 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm leaning toward the SP-101 because I think the LCR's 2in barrel is a bit too short.
I'd lean toward the SP101 as its better suited for firing full power .357 loads. The light weight LCR may be rated to shoot them, but my hands are not rated for the excessive recoil involved in shooting with such a light weight revolver.

rhinoh
December 17, 2012, 08:27 PM
weight is subjective and to be honest is not that large of difference to make it a deal breaker when we consider belt and holsters.

I am not a monster of man but less than 1lbs of difference is mute.

Try telling the above to my wife! She carries an airweight J-frame in her purse because she claims to really feel the difference with heavier more capable handguns while lugging the purse around all day. And I'm talking much less than a pound difference.

I'd have to say for me in a pocket or belt a 1 lb difference is HUGE.;)

richardKatts
December 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
I recently found a used S&W 37, very nice shooter and lite weight. I'm carrying the S&W on my waist and using my P238 as a BUG on my ankle.

Both are almost un-noticeable to see and carry.

AKMtnRunner
December 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
Funny that folks chime in on a question that is almost two years old. But hey, I can't resist either. I say decide on the ballistics that you need. Up to mild/medium 357, LCR all the way. Needing to dispense wild things with hot 357, SP101 for sure.

camsdaddy
December 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
That's the beauty of the search function. I'm glad it resurfaced. I have an sp101 that I only shoot 38 from and am debating an lcr.

CZF
December 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
People (including myself) have been asking Ruger to offer alum framed SP-101s
for a few years.

This includes one handgun expert that really knows his Rugers,
and the Snubby revolvers.

Some have said that Ruger has played around with prototypes.

I wouldn't mind a .44 Special LCR the size of the new Wiley Clapp
GP-100, or a 5 shot.44 Special option for that gun that was sighted in
for modern 200 gr. loads from the factory.

Still, a LCR or SP-101 as made today will serve a lot of people very well.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/gbr4.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Sp101 and LCR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!