S&W 29 or 629?

PDA

GarMan
April 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
OK. I am pretty much going to buy my first handgun ever. I am primarily going to use the handgun for a backup while hunting hogs, but would like something for home defense too. I really want a 4 inch barrel, nothing Dirty Harryish.

I have shot a lot of handguns, but I have never owned one of my own. I have shot the 44 before, and I am pretty comfortable with 240 grainers. I haven't tried the big boys though.

Which model would be better? I think that both would be great, but I am not sure on the differences. Some enlightenment is much appreciated. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 29 or 629?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dbro822
April 19, 2011, 08:32 PM
629, won't show the packing scars as bad. 29, Smith has really nice blue finish, I hate to ding it up in the brush. All and all very nice hand gun.

rrg224
April 19, 2011, 09:09 PM
I had both the 29 and 629 Classic DX. I bought the DX when a gun store was going under. Paid $629.00 for it. Scoped it with a Burris 2-7 posi-ret. Shot it for about ten years took 6 bucks and two does with it. I sold it :banghead: because I was offered $900. for it (w/out scope). I miss that cannon:( I inherited my dad's Ragging Bull, no comparison (sorry Taurus fans). The 29 was cool (Dirty Harry style) I killed a awesome 9 point with it. I do love my T/C Encore in 7mm-08 for deer now. I put that Burris on it. I killed a 140" buck at (no lie) 310 yards with it. The shot was incredible, in fact, that's why I spent the money to get him mounted.
If I were in your shoes I'd go 629. The full underlug tames her down and they're just plain beautiful! Higher retained value too (I think).

GarMan
April 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
rrg224, so you are saying the 629 can handle recoil better? That might be a great thing! Thanks for the inputs so far!

Black Butte
April 20, 2011, 12:12 AM
If you're not interested in the "Dirty Harry" nostalgia and want a gun for defense and hunting, I'd go with the stainless 629 over the 29.

GarMan
April 20, 2011, 12:40 AM
Black Butte, that is my favorite Porter. I see you have the Deschutes Brewery on Sig. You work there? Damn good brewery!

Black Butte
April 20, 2011, 01:33 AM
GarMan, Black Butte is my favorite porter too. I used to live in Oregon, but nfortunately, I had to move to the Midwest and Deschutes Brewery products are unavailable here.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 29 or 629?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!