Good revolver in the $500 range

PDA

miles1
April 19, 2011, 08:17 PM
In a couple weeks ill have enough funds to get my first revolver.My priority would be first reliability,durability,then looks in that order.It would be mainly used for HD or range and not CCW.Ive read several old threads on this but couldnt find anything to recent.All suggestions are welcome.Prefer not to have one with an internal lock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good revolver in the $500 range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
451 Detonics
April 19, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hard to go wrong with a used S&W K-Frame, easy to find in your price range as well.

mes227
April 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
I found a pre-lock S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt a few months ago for $500. Great revolver (but I'm biased in favor of the 4" brl N frames) I also found a Ruger Police Service Six at a gun show last month for $325 and it shoots fantatstic! You can find the Security Sixes in good shape for $500 or under. Used Blackhawks are usually under $500 if you like single actions; I picked up a used Ruger SRH .44mag for $500 around last Thanksgiving.

Probably the best regular deal out there, though, are the Dan Wesson .357 Mags which routinely sell for around or under $400 and are great revolvers.

GRIZ22
April 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
You can get a GP100 for just a little bit more.

miles1
April 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
I was looking at the Rugers and S&W's more than the other brands.I was kinda hoping to go new if at all possible.

wow6599
April 19, 2011, 09:38 PM
Take your pick - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_cat_search.php/cated/26/manufacturers_id/369/ITATR_list%5B3%5D/258/page/1/sort/5a

Arkansas Paul
April 19, 2011, 09:55 PM
GP100 all the way. I prefer the 4" model.

GLOOB
April 20, 2011, 05:58 AM
I was kinda hoping to go new if at all possible.
The only difference with a new gun is you're the one that gets to put the dings on it. :)

Walking Dead
April 20, 2011, 08:58 AM
Taurus model 66 can be had for under $400.00.

HGUNHNTR
April 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
The Smith Model 19 can be had for $450-500 in 95+% condition. Great trigger, no mim parts, no lock, great sights. A classic.
The GP is to shooting what the hammer is to dentistry, the Model 19 is the highspeed drill. :)

CajunBass
April 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
I don't remember the last time I looked at a new revolver, but I find a LOT of really nice used ones for less than $500.00. Smith & Wesson, Rugers, Colts. See the stickies at the top of this and other forums, and learn what to look for and go look. I'm a Smith & Wesson guy myself, but there are other fish in the pond.

HankR
April 20, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'd second the advice for a Ruger GP 100 for your uses. Or a used (pre-lock) S&W, if one is available. A 4 inch GP 100, with adjustable sights, might be just above $500 new. I saw a new one for $500 yesterday, but it was a 3" w/ fixed sights.

wow6599
April 20, 2011, 09:22 AM
The only difference with a new gun is you're the one that gets to put the dings on it

I disagree 100%. What about the uninformed person who sits on his couch and slaps the cylinder shut a hundred times? Constantly releases the slide on an empty chamber? Never used a drop of oil on any contact points?

See where I'm going with this.........

Arkansas Paul
April 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
I disagree 100%. What about the uninformed person who sits on his couch and slaps the cylinder shut a hundred times? Constantly releases the slide on an empty chamber? Never used a drop of oil on any contact points?

That's why you give them a thorough inspection before buying them. If a gun has been abused to the point of damaging it, you'll be able to tell, assuming you know what to look for of course. If you don't know what to look for, take an experienced friend with you or go ahead and buy new.

Jim NE
April 20, 2011, 11:22 AM
If you insist on new, the only thing I could find in S&W that came close to meeting your criteria was a new model 64 for $590 or a new model 67 for $595. These prices are below list (the former has fixed sights, the latter adjustable.) Both are in .38 special. I just bought a good working and good looking used model 64 last week for under $370.

Since you didn't mention DA, I honestly think a new Ruger Blackhawk would be your best choice. They can be purchased for just over $400 (if you shop) in a variey of large calibers. In my opinion, they're very high quality guns.

miles1
April 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
I did read the sticky up top concerning what to look for when inspecting a revolver and while it was by far a good read im just too new of a revolver newbie to trust what im looking for.If we were talking about semi-auto's it would be different but i just dont have enough confidence still looking at used revolvers.Maybe down the road i will but dont wanna sink $500 or so in a possible lemon due to my error.A friend at work did tell me if at all possible not take buy a internal lock revolver as theres always the possibility that it could accidently lock on its own;so ive been shying away from those models.Ive read in verious post about the S&W 686's but i cant find ANY in my range.Yes..i could probably save up another $200 and look at those but i was kinda hoping for a more beginner revolver that wont fail me and last me a long time with some good care between firings.I did look at taurus and charter arms but reading several threads about past bad experiences gives me pause about a possible first investment.The ruger SP and GP models seems like a good choice for me with 357 being a good caliber;any preference over which one and why?

edit:No preference on SA or DA

jimbo-indy
April 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
You can't go wrong with a GP-100 or a L frame S&W. I understand about wanting new but there are lots of well cared for used revolvers out there.
Either the Ruger or the Smith will last several lifetimes so don't pinch pennies on the purchase, it's a long term investment. A good 38/357 revolver is something nearly every gun owner should have. Just like they all should have at least one 22 auto.

wow6599
April 20, 2011, 02:04 PM
That's why you give them a thorough inspection before buying them. If a gun has been abused to the point of damaging it, you'll be able to tell, assuming you know what to look for of course. If you don't know what to look for, take an experienced friend with you or go ahead and buy new.

I agree if you can handle them, but what if you see deals from places like CDNN, J&G, Bud's, etc. I have been tempted, but at the end of the day I like my warranty with new guns. Shipping and/or hourly 'smith rates add up quickly.

YMMV

Arkansas Paul
April 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
I agree if you can handle them, but what if you see deals from places like CDNN, J&G, Bud's, etc. I have been tempted, but at the end of the day I like my warranty with new guns. Shipping and/or hourly 'smith rates add up quickly.

I'm with you. I've never bought a gun online and don't plan on it unless it's just something too good to pass up.

Black Butte
April 20, 2011, 03:02 PM
With a NIB price of about $550, the GP-100 meets all your criteria and would be a great way to go.

murf
April 20, 2011, 03:29 PM
miles1,

even if you buy new, you need to inspect the weapon for defects: shipping damage, bad timing, burrs obstructing function of the action, bad trigger pull (ruger da revolvers can have a sa trigger pull up around 5 pounds), etc.

if you are not confident about buying used, ask someone who is more experienced to go with you.

good luck with your search.

murf

miles1
April 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
miles1,

even if you buy new, you need to inspect the weapon for defects: shipping damage, bad timing, burrs obstructing function of the action, bad trigger pull (ruger da revolvers can have a sa trigger pull up around 5 pounds), etc.

if you are not confident about buying used, ask someone who is more experienced to go with you.

good luck with your search.

murf
Very much understand about still inspecting a new firearm even if new,I figure my chances of getting a lemon will decrease.Most of those that i know that shoot know little about revolvers up to this point.When i do purchase im hoping to have someone with me with atleast alittle experience.Thanks for the input from everyone so far.Just watched hitchcok45's youtube vid on the GP100 and im thinking that it would look awfully pretty in my hands.

Hondo 60
April 20, 2011, 05:56 PM
Nudder vote for a S&W k-frame.
I have 3 of 'em & love all 3.
They shoot GREAT!

If you're lookin for brand spanking new only - then a Ruger GP100 or SP101
would be my suggestions.

As far as buying online, I did & got a beautiful S&W Model 10-5 w/2" barrel.
It all depends on who you buy from.
Check the feedback on places like gunbroker.

captain awesome
April 20, 2011, 07:16 PM
reliability,durability,then looks

spells Ruger GP100

joed
April 20, 2011, 07:35 PM
You should have a lot of choices available to you. For what you want I'd prefer a 4" barrel more then anything shorter. You can find some nice used S&W revolvers, especially at this time of year, that would be my choice.

My favorite all around use S&W is the K frame. Pick one up and you'll notice how well it fits your hand, and it points to the target quite nicely. If you hold one I guarantee you will have a hard time saying no.

If not for S&W I don't know what my second choice would be.

Doug Add
April 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
I'll second mes227's comment about the Police Service Six. I know you say being new some stuff my slip past you. But if you carefully follow Jim March's checklist you will have a good idea what you are looking at with a used gun. I had never before handled handguns 10 years ago, but the advice I got here and other places gave me the confidence to check out used guns.

The prices are starting to rise on the Ruger six series revolvers, but they are still a lot of gun for the money. My father-in-law has one from 1976, and it is very nice. A different feel than my 1985 S&W 586, but a fantastic gun. You should be able to find one under your price limit.

420Stainless
April 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm with those that side with used. I recently got a 686+ with no lock and unfired for right at $500. I haven't looked at new revolvers in so long that I wasn't sure what you can get for less than $500. I just checked out budsgunshop.com to get an idea of prices and it looks like for S&W and Ruger double actions you either need to go with a J-frame or an SP101. Given that choice and not worried about carry, I'd probably choose the SP for the extra weight in .357. Unlike a lot of folks around here, I don't look down on Taurus and would consider an all steel model from them if on a budget limited to $500. My luck with the one I own has been very good, and a trusted friend has purchased a dozen of them over the years without any problems. But there are a steady trickle of negative posts about them by recent buyers on the forum.

gmh1013
April 21, 2011, 01:05 AM
New SP101 or GP100
my SP was 450 new

riflenut
April 21, 2011, 03:36 AM
if you are only able to spend 500 dollars, your options for new are the following. rossi,taurus,and maybe ruger. Or used of any brand just read up on posted on here of different brands.good luck!!!! take your time and you will find a very good revolver for that price.

HGUNHNTR
April 22, 2011, 09:17 AM
Quote:
reliability,durability,then looks

spells Ruger GP100

Well almost...here: 1. Reliability 2. Durability. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.Looks ;)

Usmc-1
April 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
If your looking in the under $500 price range , dont do it online , go to the local pawn shops or gun shops in your area , you find a whole lot better deals , unless you want (have to have new) , used firearms at shops are so much cheaper than online and if your in a good state ,you can be out shooting that gun an hour or so after buying it!

miles1
April 22, 2011, 10:13 AM
Well I got some good news this morning when I found out I can scrounge $600 instead of $500.Since last I posted there is someone where I work that knows a decent amount about revolvers.He's willing to shop with me in a few weeks when I'm ready.His thoughts were smiths if at all possible but said the ruger gp100 that I was eyeballing wasn't a bad choice.I'm hoping the extra $100 gives me enough breathing room.I'm gonna rule out online purchases for my first revolver until I'm more comfortable.

Doug Add
April 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
That is good news. I hope you find something you like!

Manta77
April 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
Just picked up a Ruger Vaquero at a Gun show in Stainless for 500 very lightly used. First thing to check for is the contact line going around the cylinder. If there is a defined line there, you know it has been turned quite a bit. Second thing to check for is a discoloration or distorted rainbow effect (blued or stainless) towards the front of the cylinder. These are caused from heat.
GOOD LUCK!!

Hondo 60
April 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
miles1,
I think we'd all be interested in a report once you do make a decision.

And remember, our motto is:
It didn't happen without pictures to prove it! :D

JustACowgirl
April 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
Ok, so lotsa folks like the Ruger GP 100 and SP 101, but Miles1 said he wasn't looking for a carry gun. What if someone was? Would Ruger still be a good choice? (Thinking OC-too young to CC)

rhoggman
April 22, 2011, 11:11 PM
I recently purchased a never shot 28-2 in .357 w/ target factory grips. I paid $500 for this revolver and it is literally brand new. Was made in the 70s but someone kept it super nice. I put the turn line on the cylinder by dry firing it.

The gun was marked at $700 in a local pawn shop, but I talked them down to $500. Probably one of the best purchases I have made.

If you look hard enough you can find a good deal. The older pinned and recessed Smith's can still be found in new condition, but you have to look hard.

IMO finding a nice used example is the way to go. Unless they are collector pieces they are still cheaper than the new revolvers, and are usually better made.

rhoggman
April 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
If you are into to SA revolvers used Blackhawks can commonly be found in the 300-400 $$$ range.

I actually purchased an old 44 Mag SuperBlackhawk off an older gentleman for $230. Bought a gold ring Luepold 2x for another $80 (used), and a mount for about $25.

I had to clean up the revolver a bit, but it was well worth it.

Here in Virginia we have a great site for purchasing guns off of fellow enthusiasts. vaguntrader.com Look around you may have a similar resource in your state.

Ironclad
April 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Ok, so lotsa folks like the Ruger GP 100 and SP 101, but Miles1 said he wasn't looking for a carry gun. What if someone was? Would Ruger still be a good choice? (Thinking OC-too young to CC)

For OC I'd go with a six inch GP100. But you gotta go with the rosewood grips. If people can see it on your hip, its gotta be presentable!

miles1
April 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
miles1,
I think we'd all be interested in a report once you do make a decision.

And remember, our motto is:
It didn't happen without pictures to prove it! :D
I will definitly post a few pics once i make my choice.Very much appreciate the feedback everyones given me.BTW...is it just me or does there seem to be a wider selection of quality revolvers versus semi's?Ive narrowed my choice down to a few but dear good it seems like there is alot to choose from out there.

22-rimfire
April 23, 2011, 09:09 AM
Miles1, your friend at work is basically giving you the advice I would give. I understand the desire to buy something new rather than used when you don't have a lot of experience with revolvers. I went the same way. In fact, it took years before I started buying used guns of any kind. I was probably a slow learner. I think you'd be very satisfied with a 4" Ruger GP-100, but I prefer S&W products in general. I have no complaints with my 3" GP-100.

I don't recall if you previously eliminated a 22 revolver as your first (perhaps a previous thread?), but a 22 is a very good place to start. In which case, I suggest you go with S&W pretty much exclusively at this time for a new gun. You shoot them more because you aren't thinking about the $20 for ammo so much.

GRIZ22
April 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
The Smith Model 19 can be had for $450-500 in 95+% condition. Great trigger, no mim parts, no lock, great sights. A classic

K frame 357s are nice guns. I carry a Model 66 often. They will not stand up to a steady diet of magnums though so you have to take that into consideration. A GP100 will. So will a Ruger 6 series if you insist on a k frame size gun. So will a L frame.

Pick one up and you'll notice how well it fits your hand,

I'm of the belief that you can make anything work regardless how it fits your hand and have seen it done many times. A L frame has the same grip as a K frame.

It would be mainly used for HD

Then buy a DA revolver. You can defend yourself with a single action but a DA makes more sense.

S&Wfan
April 24, 2011, 02:25 AM
I'm a die-hard S&W revolver fan. Like a shapely, beautiful woman, S&W revolvers have gorgeous, smooth lines of beauty and they are perfection of form + function: beautiful and delicate looking but plenty strong to last one a lifetime. Better yet, no one has a smoother trigger on a revolver than S&W. Period. And everyone knows that a great trigger is the most important factor in accuracy for the shooter!

MY PREFERENCES:

1. I refuse to buy any S&W revolver after late 2001 when they put the d__n lock on the gun. Just the sight of a S&W revolver with the weep hole on the left side totally turns me off. Locks don't belong on parachute rip cords or handguns. Both have to work instantly . . . every time . . . with no delay!!!

2. I prefer the pre-MIM days of forged parts and firing pins on the hammer where they belong (pre-late 1990s). It's easy to spot these things . . . just look for a firing pin on the hammers! More specifically . . .

3. I get REALLY interested when I see a pinned barrel. This means pre-1983.

4. I go CRAZY when I find a four or five screw S&W (50 years old or earlier). Fine specimens of these handcrafted guns are works of art and they shoot as good as new AND are better looking too!

Here are THREE recently purchased S&W revolvers I've picked up lately, and all for less than your budget. From left-to-right: 1983 Model 19-5 (a K-frame in .357 Magnum); 1950 M&P Model (a K-frame in .38 Special); and a 1916 Model 1903, 5th Change (I-frame in .32 Long).

You'll notice that they all shoot 10 yard groups in 1" or so . . . or LESS, and shot by an old fart with my nearly 60 year old eyes. Ten years ago those groups would all be one ragged hole! All three have incredible triggers too which make them easier to hit with than most automatics too!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/5548530555_2fbe1e1560_b.jpg

You'll always be proud of a nice specimen of a vintage S&W revolver, and be able to shoot rings around anything else with 'em too if you do your part!

PS: Here's some eye candy for you . . . the top-of-the-line ever S&W revolver . . . the 1957 Chevy of classic revolvers (alongside the long-discontinued and equally coveted Colt Python model) . . . the Model 27. This one is a 27-2 from 1970 and it cost me about $750 last year in incredible original condition. Checkered top strap and rear sight, mirror finish, gorgeous wood grips serial numbered and fitted to the gun, recessed cylinder holes and pinned barrel. It's too nice to shoot! Well . . . almost!

Sadly, you won't see a new S&W that's this gorgeous anymore, nor built as well and finished at this level of perfection. That ended decades ago.

Hope this helps . . .

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305997/2454938IMG1165pst3.jpg

Zwetschgen
April 24, 2011, 02:33 AM
I will agree with the GP100, but I think the SP101 would be a great choice. There may come a time you decide to conceal carry and the slightly smaller frame will be better. The SP would probably be more comfortable for open carry too. I find the GP to be slightly too big for my hands, but the SP fits perfect, so try them both on. Either is built like a tank and should live longer enough to meet your grandchildren.

roaddog28
April 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
For what you are indicating I would hunt for a used Ruger GP100 4 inch. I paid $470 out the door for mine. I also picked up a used S&W 686-2 4 inch for $470 also. Both are fine shooters. If you what a lighter revolver then a Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six is a good option. I bought a used Ruger Police Service Six 4inch for $404 out the door. I got lucky again and found a S&W model 19-4 6 inch for $269 out the door. This revolver needed some cleanup but now I would rate this revolver my most accurate revolver. Best range revolver I have.
Bottom line. There are plenty of good used revolvers for under $500 out there. Do a good revolver checkout and find the one that feels the best in your hand and has the best trigger.

Good luck,
Howard

oldfool
April 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
"my 1st revolver" - simply no point in limiting yourself to SA only, or DAO, unless the siren's song is irresistible

for NIB revolvers ~$500, yeah, Ruger GP100 or SP101
(if there is an echo in this thread, it is for very good reasons)
if the SP101 appeals, highly recommend you go with the 3" barrel. For "my 1st revolver", suggest you avoid any/all snubbies, preferably go with a 4" to 6" barrel, unless the 3" SP101 sings sweetly to you; "my 2nd (or 3rd) revolver" is soon enough for a snubbie, much less an airweight anything

don't discount rimfire22's suggestion on a 22 for "my 1st revolver", either, but I don't think that's where you think you want to go, so e'nuff said

Not that much else out there for ~$500 NIB except Taurus or Taurus aka Rossi - just don't go there unless you enjoy playing roulette - they actually do make some good ones, and they actually do make some very good ones, but if Taurus appeals to you, ask for lots of opinions about the specific model/caliber of interest, and don't be surprised by whatever flame game ensues

Used guns are like used cars - so echo again the "check it out, caveat emptor"
good stuff to check out re: used but not abused

S&W k-frames (alias "my woobies"), model 19, model 66, etc., also heavy barrel model 10s, and S&W L frame 686
(and no matter how much me/we/they dislike and/or rant & rave about ILS or MIM, just don't sweat it, unless your really really want a mega-magnum in an ultralite; you cannot see that little hole in your sight picture anyway. The holes in the cylinder and muzzle matter.)

Ruger Speed/Security/Service Six, or (again) GP100 or SP101

Taurus - model 66 (a S&W model 19 "clone")

a lot of used S&W Ks and Rugers can be found quite easily out there for well under $500, but check 'em out real well, and good luck

Smaug
April 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
After having read your specs, I'd look for a used Ruger GP-100 or Security Six. They're more durable and reliable than S&W, even if they're not quite as pretty or well-finished. They have no side plates, but a solid frame. On the GP, the cylinder locks front and rear, vs. just rear on the S&W.

I would favor a blued model with the 4" barrel, I think. The 6" would be better for targets, but a bit unwieldy if you should need to employ it for self defense.

I had a S&W 29, 8-3/8" barrel 44 Magnum. Great finish, very pretty, but it shot loose no matter what I did. It just could not handle much magnum loads. Sold it and bought a used Ruger Redhawk. Fantastic gun.

I had a S&W 64, 4" 38. Had issues with the cylinder release and timing. Sold it, got a SP-101, great gun.

These were both used, so they could've been abused, but I've never had these issues with Rugers.

Usmc-1
April 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
Pawn Shops , just remember thats where the real deals are ! Also , the local gun shops if they sell used pieces (usually the ones in the glass case are used) thats where the deals are , sure online you might get lucky on :http://www.slickguns.com/ and find a real bargain thats new (or I have to say look at the second gen Glocks for less than $400 ) , but those local shops let you walk in and buy it and walk out (assuming you in the Proper United States of America) !

Jim NE
April 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
Okay, here's an even better deal on a new S&W. $580 for a 3" model 60.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/949000427/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/SMITH_AND_WESSON_MODEL_60_357MAG_STAINLESS_HIVIS_SIGHT_NEW.htm

millertyme
April 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
Anything from Ruger fits your bill.

tazbigdog
April 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
Bought this (SS model) from CDNN Sports for 399.99
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/tazbigdog/IMG_2077.jpg
Love it, shoots great!:D

quicktoevil
April 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
early S&W K frame preferably a 'long action' or S serial or Colt Official Police in that order

JustACowgirl
April 26, 2011, 07:24 PM
I will agree with the GP100, but I think the SP101 would be a great choice. There may come a time you decide to conceal carry and the slightly smaller frame will be better.
Isn't that a good reason to buy another gun? :D

drw2514
April 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
I definitely suggest a used K-Frame!!! I own both a K-Frame (nickel 15-3) and a GP-100 and the K-Frame is a much nicer gun IMHO. .38 out of a 4" barrel is more than enough for your stated purposes and it is SO MUCH FUN to shoot! K-Frames RULE!!!

harmon rabb
April 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
reliability, durability, then looks? you just spelled ruger. take your pick, because $500 will get you any of a GP100, SP101, or the old school security/whatever six.

i own a GP100 and a SP101. between the two of them, the GP has a better trigger (MUCH better in DA), and handles recoil better... but it's a huge b!tch, so if you want to carry it, the SP is a far better choice.

i honestly can't think of a reason to even look at a smith if looks are #3 to you. in theory, they have better triggers. in my experience, though, that's garbage, because my GP100 has a trigger on par with the old school from the good old days k-frames i've shot, and my SP101 has an infinitely better trigger than the j-frame I owned. i think the awesome smith trigger lives only in the mind of those who think they look prettier than rugers.

edit: i'll note that if you have small hands, you may like the SP101 better than the GP100. my wife prefer my SP101 because of the smaller reach to the trigger. she has pretty small hands though. to me, the whole point of the SP101 is that it's the smallest 357 that's actually a 357. comfort has nothing to do with it.

jbr
April 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
2nd the taurus 66

C5rider
April 26, 2011, 11:33 PM
I agree with MES227,

I found good deals on Dan Wesson .357s and I'm VERY happy with mine. The nice thing about them is that if you want a snubby, simply locate a barrel and you can change them out yourself. A long-range tack driver? Find an 8 or 10 inch barrel and you're good to go. I've found good, complete guns for half what you're looking to spend and, guns with a 2, 4 and 6-inch barrels for the same price as what you're looking to spend. Good guns for the money. Just my .02.

oerllikon
April 27, 2011, 12:48 AM
Ive got a ruger GP100 in 6". Gotta love the big iron!

GLOOB
April 27, 2011, 06:02 AM
i think the awesome smith trigger lives only in the mind of those who think they look prettier than rugers.

After careful comparison, I think the DA trigger is almost equal between my 686 and GP100. I actually prefer the DA pull of the GP. BUT, the Smith action feels slightly shorter and I like the reset better. The GP100 reset is weak, and at the 95% mark, there's a small hitch and it gets even weaker. This is where you can short stroke it. After a couple thousand dryfires, my new GP100 actually stopped resetting all the way until I opened it and lubed it. At first, I thought a spring broke, but that was not the case. The Smith goes forward well enough the first 1/3 the way, then it sproings forward like a race horse. It's fairly impossible to short stroke.

SA trigger: dunno what yours was like, but my 686 trigger is beyond good. It's positively magical. In comparison, every 1911 trigger, every 22 target pistol, every RIFLE I've shot is total crap. I had to smack the hammer and even drop it onto the carpet while cocked to convince myself it's safe. There's zero pretravel/creep, and is has UNDERtravel. You put ~2 1/2 lbs of force on the trigger, and the hammer falls for seemingly no reason, accompanied by the trigger moving FORWARD. There's no perceptible backward movement of the trigger, whatsoever. So it really feels like the gun fires without even pulling the trigger. To be fair, it's a pre-MIM -1.

My GP SA trigger is very good, but it's not magic. If the Smith is David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear, the Ruger is Criss Angel pushing a nail through his cheek. :)

And for the record, I think my GP100 is better looking than any Smith I've ever seen. Except maybe the 629.

Hondo 60
April 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Oh great! :(

Now I have to go to church to confess my sin (coveting)
See post 43 in this thread. M27

miles1
May 5, 2011, 06:35 PM
Update...
After giving it some thought i decided to look at a gun show before making any decisions.I saw 2 ruger security six's going for $450 each,one blued and the other stainless.The seller wouldnt budge on his price at all and were at about 80% condition according to a friend that helped me look at them.So i decided to go with a GP100 4inch blued with an HKS speedloader for $508.Ill take her for a spin at the range tommorow.Again thanks from everyone for there advice and input as it greatly helped.

JustACowgirl
May 5, 2011, 07:11 PM
Let us all know if you still like after a trip to the range! I'm only a little envious! :D

easyg
May 5, 2011, 08:53 PM
GP100
You will not regret the choice.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM7164.jpg

bestseller92
May 5, 2011, 08:57 PM
Ruger GP-100. Tough as a tank, and my 2008 model has the best DA trigger I've ever experienced out of the box.

miles1
May 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
Range report:
Since ive never owned let alone fired a revolver before i dont have anything to compare it to.I decided to shoot 12 rounds at about 10 yards to start with.Wasnt sure what to expect with recoil at first but was pleasantly surprised;i guess if i had to draw a comparison i would say more like a .45cal auto "push" versus a .40 cal "snap".Groupings where very good and i scored mostly in the 8 and under target area.Next,i took a new target and moved to about 25 yards and decided to go thru about 30 rounds of .357.Again, the first thing i noticed was i was getting very nice groupings with only 1 or 2 that went high and to the right.....think i was jerking the trigger on those.The rest stayed again in the 8 and under area on the targets.Grip was hogue and felt very comfortable in my hands.The GP never felt too heavy in my hand when shooting the whole time.After i was done i gotta say i was very happy with my purchase and impressed with how well i shot considering ive never shot a revolver before.Gotta say i love this gun.

harmon rabb
May 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ruger GP-100. Tough as a tank, and my 2008 model has the best DA trigger I've ever experienced out of the box.

Mine has a really good DA trigger too. I'm not sure why the 686 has a rep of having a better trigger. From what I remember from the 686 I shot, the SA trigger was a little better, but the DA trigger was a little worse.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good revolver in the $500 range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!