Throw Away Guns

PDA

Usmc-1
April 20, 2011, 11:32 AM
Just curious , about what people see in these guns, you guys know what im talking about , little Davis guns that fit in the palm of your hand , derringers , Ive never been comfortable with them , the only thing I see about them that could be of interest is if you place one in every drawer in the house , you will have firearm at the ready wherever you are !

Now if thats the case , what caliber? .32 ,.22, I'd have to have to have a bigger caliber !

If you enjoyed reading about "Throw Away Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USAF_Vet
April 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
Don't like little palm pistols and derringers pesonally. I wouldn't call them throw away guns, though. Makes it seem like it is a stolen gun on the street that a criminal would toss after commiting a crime. Akin to the old Saturday Night Special.

Bond Arms, as well as a few others, sell a double shot derringer chambered in .45LC/ .410 shotshells.

Remo223
April 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
would you consider a 32 kel-tec a throw away gun? They are cheap.

These cheap tiny lightweight guns are attractive because they are easy to carry. Most people don't have any interest in lugging around anything bigger than a smart phone. If these people are deciding between no gun and a 32 kel-tec or a derringer, I say go for the tiny mouse gun.

Also, some people go out and buy a baby glock just because they think its the thing to do, and then carry it for a week or less and decide its uncomfortable. These people would be better off with a kel-tec 32 or a NAA minirevolver than a baby glock.

Vonderek
April 20, 2011, 01:26 PM
I don't have an interest in these. My first handgun purchase when I turned 21 was a Raven .25 because that's all I could afford. Similarly, I see this class only for someone with very limited financial means. Hiding guns throughout the house isn't for me either. If you get used to daily carrying then you don't need to have guns around the house to keep handy. The quality handgun on your person is as handy as it gets.

mokin
April 20, 2011, 01:34 PM
Great guns to bring to a knife fight! If I were to put a gun in every room of the house (not counting long arms behind the door), I'd equip my house with 1911s in .45, Glock 20s and S&W M&P R8s. As far as the Kel-Tecs go they remind me of the Raven .25s-but Kel-TEcs are much better and would not feel underguned in a knife fight with either one.

pockets
April 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
If you plan on throwing any away...throw them my way.
I love little guns...one can't have too many of them.

Shaky
April 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
I keep one handy for floating down the river (an old 22 revolver I picked up for 50 bucks). It fires rat shot straight enough for any snakes that get too close to the boat, and the thought of it at the bottom of the river doesn't devistate me, though I am starting to get fond of it.

Chindo18Z
April 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
Long ago, I met a very old fella in an Atlanta barbershop waiting circle, as several of us were discussing guns.

He didn't have much to say, but finally allowed as how he simply kept a "pair of .25 magnum clip guns" in his back pockets (one in the left and one in the right). Says he: "Y'all don' really be needin' big guns...I jes' pulls out mah fust one and blam, blam, blam...den I pulls out de other...and blam, blam, blam..."

We all laughed at his ".25 magnum clip gun" reference until he produced a pair of .25 ACP Ravens in an eyeblink. None of us were actually carrying guns at the time and I'm sure that battle scarred 70+ year old had no legal CCW, but...

That man had a viable plan and had practiced with his chosen weapons. I have no doubt that he had used them (or ones just like them) for real and on more than one occasion.

"Throwaway" guns have a place. Especially when you don't have a lot of money for premium weapons.

Remo223
April 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
a 25 raven isn't a magnum :)

WaltonS
April 20, 2011, 05:29 PM
Cobra makes some .380's. From what I've seen of them and from handling one, I'd be shocked if the gun (or user) survived a range session...

Zerodefect
April 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
Your going to need a bigger gun if you plan on throwing it at your attacker.

7.62mm.ak47
April 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
If you plan on throwing any away...throw them my way.

Lol, if he threw a burner your way you might want to drop it in a lake ASAP.

hardworker
April 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
a 25 raven isn't a magnum

Thank you captain obvious

daorhgih
April 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
... to get the job done, and then make it impossible to prove that you were there to do the deed. Good to have somebody's else finger-prints on the T.A.G. and no serial #. (too much CSI Hawaii-5-0h viewing) Dao.

Ala Dan
April 20, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm not throwing away my KEL-TEC P3AT .380 auto; for any reason~!;) :D

MedWheeler
April 20, 2011, 11:41 PM
The OP asked a question, then proceeded to answer it himself, at least, in part. Just one of those "if I don't have any use for this, why should anyone else?" things...
I don't knock people who use or even depend on these guns. We have enough gun-control people who want to tell us what is and isn't what we should be allowed to have. We don't need people on "our" side helping them along. By preaching on and on that these "lesser" guns aren't suitable to share the Earth with us, we are buying into the argument that guns are inherently unsafe in general.
I'm willing to bet that when a major city (Chicago?) established its list of "approved" guns for its well-regulated ownership-available list, people who "know" guns were among those consulted.

jeepmor
April 21, 2011, 01:09 AM
Put a Keltec or a Ruger LCsomething in your pocket and quit filling your drawers with paperweights. If these aren't enough, look into Rorbaugh.

jeepmor

Shadow 7D
April 21, 2011, 01:27 AM
Throw away guns, drop guns etc.
are guns that are disposed of, or if a cop, placed the deceased hand and shot a few times, the point is, you trash the evidence of a crime...

Since I don't plan on ever committing a crime, I don't really feel the need for one,
and some of those old pocket guns are just neat.

tipoc
April 21, 2011, 09:24 AM
"Throw away gun", also called a "drop gun". Yep Shadow 7D is correct this is an old term for the guns some cops have around, in the back of the squad car or a coat pocket, for when they shoot a fella cause they thought he had a gun or a weapon and it turns out he did not, so they provide the corpse with one. Some times the corpse is provided with a knife but a small cheap gun works best. Keeps them out of trouble. Meaning it keeps the cops out of trouble not the corpse. The latter being beyond trouble.

"Saturday night Special" this is a old term for the many small inexpensive, cheaply made handguns that often turned up in the hands of poorer folk when stopped by cops and told to empty their pockets and purses on a weekend night after a shooting in a bar or club. These used to be mostly imported but after the 1968 GCA excluded many of them some U.S. manufacturers got into the act.

A true "throw away gun" can't have your name on it or be traced back to you or anyone that knows you. It has to be untraceable. Or at least not traceable back to you.

tipoc

DeepSouth
April 21, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have an old 38spl Davis derringer around here somewhere, I honestly don't know where. I don't even remember for sure where it came from. The thing doesn't even have rifling's in it, at least none can be made out with my naked eye. Needless to say I don't have much use for it. I have shot it twice that I can remember, one shot from each barrel just to make sure it shot. Now I just don't feel safe shooting it, it's like asking to have a hand removed.

Usmc-1
April 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well first off I answered no question I offered?

As far as throw away guns, its not a technical term , it simply means those guns you see cluttered in the display case at the gun shop , with the funky design and weird calibers , no I dont have them in every room , I agree if your comfortable carrying around the house you already have what you need , I carried my whole life, I dont carry all the time anymore ,I dont have to where I live, I can be at the ready in less than ten seconds anywhere on my property! I have 5 acres of land , I am ready!

I dont believe in these little "toys" and thats the main reason , kids will see these as just that a toy , and guns that dont have ammo in the clip might as well be in the trash can!

I do like derringers as long as they are in calibers above .38 , yes I have a thing about larger calibers , Always have ,my 45acp taught me that in a serious way , when a fellow officer was shot , 3 feet in front of me , there was a bullet hole the size of a 45 in the front and the size of a grapefruit in his back , he was dead in less 5 minutes , if that was a 9 or 22 he'd be alive today , I never carried anything smaller than a 45 after that!

That was not my 45 , the suspect found out what 9's are capable of shortly thereafter!

kingcheese
April 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
the ultimate throw away gun was made for a short time during world war2 , its called a liberator, it is a single shot 45acp pistol, we mad thousands of the things because they where almost if not entirely made from stamped metal, the gun was only good for a few shots, but it gave the underground forces a chance to "take care of" a few axis soldiers and get a better weapon

so, the best use for a throw away gun, is if you live in an are that doesnt allow you to own a gun and, feel the need to oppose your government violently

Guns and more
April 21, 2011, 12:18 PM
Makes it seem like it is a stolen gun on the street that a criminal would toss after commiting a crime. Akin to the old Saturday Night Special.
Not just criminals. Cops have been known to carry a "throw down gun" in case they, well, don't want to be associated with a shooting.

longshot7.62x51
April 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
well the only throw away guns that i know of where the librator pistols droped into france the pretty much a one shot deal to kill some occupying soldier and take his mouser or his mp40 or what have you but try and find one of thouse now and you will have to talke out a loan to buy it

kingcheese
April 21, 2011, 02:39 PM
i do believe a baseball bat in every corner of your house would be a little bit more reasonable as far as keeping them for defensive purposes, but if you got a bunch of little guns id bet that if you tape two together, and pull the trigger at the same time, and stuck the gun up ON what you are shooting at... you might hit it

some of thoose cheap guns arnt worth the 50 bucks it cost to get them, but if you want to conceal 30plus guns on your body... it could be usefull, one of them is bound to work

MrWesson
April 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
I have a couple "throw away guns"

$100 phoenix hp22 which is a bargain and lifetime warranty. Wont be throwing this guy away anytime soon.

I had a hipoint that I traded for some ammo way back(didn't need it).. no questions asked warranty, great reliability and accuracy. Wish I had it back to leave in the glovebox of my car.

When I hear throw away gun all I think about is jennings but people have had great success with them too. If a $40 throw away gun comes my way I wouldnt turn my nose I would buy it and see how she shoots.

jdh
April 21, 2011, 03:20 PM
Is your last name Zumbo by any chance?

gordy
April 21, 2011, 06:52 PM
Don't throw away the plastic guns.
They can be recycled.

Manta77
April 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
Good pocket guns (certainly not throw away): North American Arms Guardian .32 and Baby Desert Eagle .380. I am a big fan of these two because I hate carrying a holster and these two will just drop right into my pocket (especially the .32). I would hate to be on the other end of either one of them.

kozak6
April 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
A friend of mine has a Phoenix Arms HP22. It's not unusual for it to jam on every single round in the magazine. It's also so amazingly inaccurate it approaches absurdity.

Another friend briefly owned a Bryco 9mm. It would only reliably fire the first round in the magazine. Then, it might jam on every round in the magazine. If you were lucky, it might function correctly for 3 rounds in a row.

the only thing I see about them that could be of interest is if you place one in every drawer in the house , you will have firearm at the ready wherever you are !

Or, you could buy one "real" gun and put it in your pocket.

Now if thats the case , what caliber? .32 ,.22, I'd have to have to have a bigger caliber !

.22 lr to minimize damage if it explodes.

Hi-Points are supposed to be fairly good for the price, though, and their warranty can't be beat.

PabloJ
April 22, 2011, 12:15 AM
The only thing I would consider is something like: PM, p-64, p-63, cz-82, p-83, Tokarev,.... It has be bee inexpensive and reliable. Some call them PG "throw aways".

psyshack
April 22, 2011, 12:17 AM
Throw away to me are Charter, The Bull Lable pistols. Or my PF-9 not because it is cheap. It just didn't cost much. And can be replaced in a flash if I had to use it and the police have it for inspection.

Hummm idiot me needs some Charter's and Bull guns for HD! Why let the police take my nice gun or guns for investigation purposes if involved in a HD event.

Beats head on desk!!!!!

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 22, 2011, 01:14 AM
If you used a different gun than the one you used for self defense, you will get in a heap of trouble when ballistics don't match up.

CTPhil
April 22, 2011, 09:43 AM
The Raven in my pocket cost $75 OTD and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I have no plans to throw it away.

jdh
April 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
Let me ask you another question. Which would you rather have locked up and neglected in a police property room for several years, your custom built $2000+ 1911 or a $100 "throw away" gun?

As pathetic as the lowly 9mm is, it has killed more people than your beloved 45 has ever though of.

Usmc-1
April 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
I wouldnt be so sure about those figures on kills ! Are we talking wars as well?

rogertc1
April 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
Just curious , about what people see in these guns, you guys know what im talking about , little Davis guns that fit in the palm of your hand , derringers , Ive never been comfortable with them , the only thing I see about them that could be of interest is if you place one in every drawer in the house , you will have firearm at the ready wherever you are !

SOME PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF $. I STARTED MY COLLECTION ON CHEAP GUNS..YEARS AGO

jdh
April 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Yes. But take out the combat use and just look at LE. Outside the US the 45 has seen some but not a lot of use in LE. It is vastly outnumbered by the 9. Even in US LE How long did Glock have a large share of the LE market before they started making other calibers

MedWheeler
April 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Usmc-1:

if that was a 9 or 22 he'd be alive today..

And there you have it, folks. No one has ever died from a head wound caused by either a 9mm or 22LR bullet... (of course, we also know that no one has survived being shot with a .45, either right?)

daorhgih
April 22, 2011, 11:30 PM
... Katyn forest in Poland?

rogertc1
April 23, 2011, 06:58 AM
Katyn massacre was an interesting read. thanks for sharing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J15385%2C_Katyn%2C_%C3%96ffnung_der_Massengr%C3%A4ber%2C_Gr%C3%A4ber_polnischer_Generale.jpg/220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J15385%2C_Katyn%2C_%C3%96ffnung_der_Massengr%C3%A4ber%2C_Gr%C3%A4ber_polnischer_Generale.jpg

Trader Ray
April 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
Not to disagree being a new member and all, but I have a Phoenix hp22 and although it or I could be a little more accurate it is very dependable and has never had a problem. I like its looks as well. I carry usually when mowing for when the snakes are out or just plinking on my own backyard range.

On the Derringer, I think that is just a kind of personal choice and I have a new Cobra 9mm with a lifetime warranty as well, and last night I seen another that has caught my eye. It is a brand new .22mag and the finish on the gun is Antique, it looks like something from the 1800's. But that is what I look for in a handgun, rare looks and age. That would explain my H&R 949. The look and feel is the one I like best out of any handgun I have felt. The finish is ugly and that is why I bought it lol.

Now, the Bryco, I had a Model 59 9mm. Everything you said about it is so true. I liked its looks and the age (72) but the jamming was crazy. I still want a J-22 and have had a Raven MP25 for probably 20 years. It is very accurate when used for the distance it was designed for.

With all of what I posted I dont aim to make any enemies, just kind of surprised myself that I would have something to add before I asked too many questions. And one more thought, my High Point 45 can make anyone think they are a good shot. A wonderful price and warranty. I will say this, I will be checking to see if the Chiappa 1911-22's are worth the price asked. I like the black one...Ok, I will shut up.

MrWesson
April 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
A friend of mine has a Phoenix Arms HP22. It's not unusual for it to jam on every single round in the magazine. It's also so amazingly inaccurate it approaches absurdity.

As far as reliable I get a jam every 50 or so rounds its a rimfire after all(my buckmark and 22a do it too).

Accuracy is what you would expect from a 3" barrel but a good shooter should have no problem hitting inside a 5" ring at 25yds..

something tells me you are exaggerating the jams every round but if not he simply has a dud or a bad mag which can happen to $800 guns too.

Name a better .22 plinker for $100 new.

Or, you could buy one "real" gun and put it in your pocket

Not everyone is going to carry a gun hanging around the house. Not everyone wears pants around the house much less carry a gun around. I keep a gun loaded gun hidden within 3 seconds from any point in my house.

Trader Ray
April 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
The Chiappa 1911-22 is a great looking gun, but only a one year warranty and I kind of like getting the gun cheap or having a lifetime. Personal protection is hard to put a price on for sure, but once you have that covered, for me it is about what I like in the looks and feel of a firearm. I would buy one even if it did not function if I liked the looks and it had a little history behind it. It became a hobby for me with the next purchase after PD was covered. Not trying to step on anyones toes just offering my opinion, I have not tried to offer any facts as I am only able to comment on my own experience and I am positive 99 percent of this forum knows more than I do.

registrar
April 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
A 1lb pocket 9mm and pants pocket holster is just too much for you to lug around?

Dean1818
April 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately, some of these cheap guns may not work when you do need them

Instead of "throw away" maybe should be "thrown at" is a better term, because when you need them and they dont fire, you may need to throw them at the threat

To me....... if I was going on a rafting trip or a camping trip (non bear country) where the gun could get wet or lost, I would choose a CZ82 or a Hi Point

I would lube a bit heavy and clean again at the campsite after the trip.

If you lose it it will set you back less than $200 or less, not something you "want" but not going to break you if it did.

BOTH are dependable, Both would get the job done.

I wouldnt even bother with the crap guns.....

Cheap or expensive...... my guns MUST go bang.

A guy with a Jennings shot next to me at my CCW qualifications, his gun literally jammed every 3-4 rounds. The rangemaster was spending half of his time unjamming this dudes gun. That gun would have been sold or tucked in the attic never to see the light of day again.

My buddy in Ohio has a Lorcin...... it jammed the first time he shot it................

At this point my pistols are made by SIG and Kahr, too expensive to get beat up (IMHO).......... I need to get the commonly known as "truck gun" as well. Probably a CZ82.

Save your life.... dont waste your money on the "fall-apart" guns.... that ONE time that you REALLY need it.........

Its not gonna be there.

Trader Ray
April 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
A 1lb pocket 9mm and pants pocket holster is just too much for you to lug around?
Registar, really you should not "assume" anything. I was just mentioning my thoughts on my own pieces, I would have no problem toting the 9mm derringer around with or without holster if it was my only choice. However it is not my only choice and I bought it for a display I have that is based on Liberty and freedoms that I have created out of all antique items bought at various auctions. Actually the 9mm would be great with shot shell when cutting the grass. In my area snakes are just as common as birds and I don't really want to run across one on my mower. It is all about likes and dislikes. I dont have one riffle or shotgun as I dont need one and I dont hunt, but I have the poor mans version of the Judge and it is also a heavy gun but with the right shot and good aim it will get the job done against a coyote if it was the only thing I had to drive it away while I run..lol

Shadow 7D
April 24, 2011, 02:58 AM
Um, You do know about the problem with shot and rifling, lets just say doughnut, with where you are aiming as the hole...

16 ounces is assuming A LOT
a keltec P11 is 14+6 oz. for a total loaded weight of 20 ounces, and it is one of the lightest 9mm made, so the pound in the pocket, hi point 29oz. and most guns fall in between.

Pound in the pocket is a great place to aim, but hard to achieve.

jwash3rd
April 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
I've got a P-11 and I think it's too heavy for pocket carry but that's me. IWB works just fine, though. KT's are another one that some gun snobs consider "throw-aways." Mine has been reliable for the one year+ that I've owned it.

Usmc-1
April 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
@medwheeler , so your telling me when you shoot (at siluettes) you aim for the head? Man you must be one hell of a good shooter , I was trained "center mass" thats what I go for , and yes if a 9 or 22 were to hit center mass , you'll likely go down , but there is alot better chance especially with the 9 it goes right through you , possibly not hitting vital , and the 22 can kill just as easy , but not as likely as a 45 ,

Sure these toy or novelty guns can kill and they do every year , usually to there owners who are playing with it like a toy!

V1ROT8
April 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
Purchased a Hi-Point 45 for around $150 new. Has done everything I have asked it to do. Lifetime warranty if anything does go bad.

Trader Ray
April 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Honestly, I dont know a hole lot about at the different types of shots. I have had a few home defense weapons over the years, and luckily have not had to use them other than getting them broke in and learning the gun itself. I was just shown some type of shot shell in 22 last week and it put 25 holes through a soda can and so I picked up some for my couple of 22lrs.
Truthfully I am at the bottom end of what seems to be a very large and long learning curve. Like I posted, I am sure all of you know 95% more than I do about all of this. It is all new to me to go to ranges and shooting for a hobby. I have owned for years, just never used regularly often. Now I live in the country where I can shoot and that is where all my questions and curiosity comes from.

I dont have to carry in my pocket but usually do in order to not be standing out. I will have more questions than answers for a long time, but opinions I do have and this post was started as wanting opinions I think. Thank you for the info on the "doughnut" theory though. I really did not consider that.

Shadow 7D
April 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Trader there is a gun for everyone
you just gotta find yours

I think the P32 is an excellent pocket pistol, it's in 32, which while less than .380 (by 6 hundredths...) it offers a good compromise with one or two finger guns, as it's not as heavy of recoil for such a light weight frame. BUT they have pocket guns up to .45 (semmerling, and yes it's a rare bird) So, go to the store and see what fits you, don't get stuck on price, some very big and expensive names are known to be like harleys, a good starting point, but you need half again what you paid to get it to work right ..em kimber.. so if a cheaper (or less expensive gun) might need some tweaking, that's life.

BRE346
April 24, 2011, 11:19 PM
Tipoc has the name right. It's a savior for the cop's mistake. And, like the man said, it must be untraceable to any good guy. Not easy to do any more. To use one means the thrower is in deep doodoo already and it will give him an out. To have one suggests he's going to need it someday and there surely is a bad day ahead.

Calling a little gun a throwaway is a kind of misnomer. Talking about little guns, didja know that an assassin's favorite piece is a .22 for contact shots to the head?

Usmc-1
April 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
@BRE346 Are you speaking from experience?

Shadow 7D
April 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
I think the largest mass murder perpetrated by a single individual (liquidation of Polish officer core under Stalin) a .25 was used.

As for the above??? source please???

MedWheeler
April 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
Usmc-1:

@medwheeler , so your telling me when you shoot (at siluettes) you aim for the head? Man you must be one hell of a good shooter , I was trained "center mass" thats what I go for , and yes if a 9 or 22 were to hit center mass , you'll likely go down , but there is alot better chance especially with the 9 it goes right through you , possibly not hitting vital , and the 22 can kill just as easy , but not as likely as a 45 ,

You made the statement that a particular person who was killed by a .45 slug to the head "would be alive today" if the bullet had been a 9mm or 22LR projectile. That unsubstantiated statement was what I was responding to. It is not possible to know what the outcome in that particular case would have been since it has already taken place.

MedWheeler
April 29, 2011, 09:51 PM
Daorhgih:

MedWheeler: have you so soon forgotten ...
... Katyn forest in Poland?

The only word in English to have all the vowels, including "y", in order, and with none repeated, is "facetiously"... it is synonymous with "sarcastically" (and that is how I was addressing a previous post.)

Kiln
April 30, 2011, 04:50 AM
I love the amount of misinformation that comes with threads like these. You've got the guy who thinks that humans have evolved to the point where nothing but a .45 is powerful enough to kill them and the guys that think that if a gun doesn't cost $300 it will leave you blind and paralyzed when you fire it.

I've had a Raven MP25 for years that has always worked great. I've had a Phoenix HP22 that worked perfectly for about 3k rounds and then had to be sent back to the factory for repair to the frame but was completely reliable and accurate for the time that it worked great, they will send you a brand new gun if you have this problem though. I've also got a pair of RG revolvers that work excellently.

The fact is that these "throw away" guns can work fine if you put a little work into them, clean them, and make sure you're getting one that hasn't been heavily used or abused before you buy it. I can also assure you that just having a gun of any kind nearby when you need it is better than hoping you're close enough to an object heavy enough to use as a bludgeon.

BikerRN
April 30, 2011, 05:07 AM
I hate the term "throw away gun" due to the negative connotations. I much prefer "disposable gun".

To me a disposable gun is one that is easily replaced and not missed if lost or stolen, or sitting in an Evidence Locker, for that matter. My disposable guns are Glocks.

BikerRN

CajunBass
April 30, 2011, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately, some of these cheap guns may not work when you do need them

On the other hand, they may work perfectly well.

I guess some of y'all have never been poor. I have been. I've been so poor that I couldn't afford to buy a Raven 25, or an RG-22, back in the day when they cost $29.95 each. Oh I wished I could have. I lived in a pretty rough neighborhood and would have gladly carried a gun that might HAVE worked, over not having one at all (No, it would not have been "legal". That was the least of my concerns). Some chance is better than no chance.

I was lucky I guess. I never actually "needed" a gun, and eventually worked my out of the neighborhood, and managed to get a few nice guns over the years. But I never see a Raven 25, or an RG-22 that I don't think back to those days when I just wished so hard to be able to afford one.

Hamilton Felix
May 1, 2011, 04:42 PM
I think the title "Throw Away Guns" confused many. We ended up talking of "thrown down guns" historically dropped at shooting scenes by police and others.

But if we're really asking about cheap "disposable" guns, there are all kinds. I guess I'm a lucky one, in that I have a Phoenix .22 that actually works well. Yeah, $90 used at a show, and it works. But it was apparently designed by a product liability lawyer; it has two safeties and a very weird manual of arms - magazine disconnect wasn't enough, it also locks slide with mag out, etc. I'd never carry that thing for defense, but it's a fun plinker.

The Hi-Point guns are very inexpensive and not at all pretty with their massive slides, but they are reliable and a good option for someone who wants a cheap house gun.

As far as carrying a cheap gun in case the cops take it, let's rethink that: It's very unlikely you'll be involved in a shooting, but if it saves your live one time, then a $10,000 gun was "cheap." I'll carry whatever works for me and inspires my confidence. In the unlikely event I am involved in a shooting, I accept that I'll be without that gun for a long time, and I'll carry something else. There's no way I'd ever spend four figures on a fine 1911 that had every feature to make it a better concealed carry and fighting pistol, then leave it at home in favor of something cheaper.

If you're short of money and looking for an inexpensive gun, make sure you can try it out or that return for refund is assured. Then make sure it works. If you get an old RG .38 that goes bang reliably, then it will serve its purpose. But it won't last for many thousands of rounds of practice.

Same story for a Jennings, Davis, Lorcin or other cheap pocket pistol. If it's reliable, then it beats throwing rocks and you're not out much if something happens to it.

In the world of rifles, there are still "cheap" high quality guns to be had. Some years ago I picked up a $50 M1893 8x57 Turkish Mauser (made in 1935 at Spandau). It proved accurate at 200M with 70+ year old surplus ammo. Old bolt battle rifles aren't pretty, but they are tough. (Of course, being a gun nut, I immediately bought $200+ of ammo, dies and components, while making plans to cut it down, install better sights, modify the wood, etc. But the truth is, I had my durable "pickup truck gun" the moment I handed over the $50 for it.) A surplus Mosin Nagant rifle in 7.62x54R isn't pretty, but the design has a very impressive track record, and the cartridge is proven.

Back to handguns: Keep your eyes open and you may find deals on somewhat used and finish-worn Rossi, Llama or Astra revolvers. Cheap is OK if it's reliable, but make sure it is.

And remember, "expensive" does not guarantee it is reliable or will last a long time. It just improves the odds.

Kiln
May 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
Tipoc has the name right. It's a savior for the cop's mistake. And, like the man said, it must be untraceable to any good guy. Not easy to do any more. To use one means the thrower is in deep doodoo already and it will give him an out. To have one suggests he's going to need it someday and there surely is a bad day ahead.

Calling a little gun a throwaway is a kind of misnomer. Talking about little guns, didja know that an assassin's favorite piece is a .22 for contact shots to the head?A throw away gun is a REALLY bad idea with modern forensics and hair from a household cat that accidentally made its way onto the gun could get you convicted. In short a drop gun is a bad idea now days, just make sure that you're in the right if you shoot somebody.

srwshooter
May 1, 2011, 06:26 PM
most 32,380,9mm keltecs shoot just as well as most high prices bigger sized models. they just so much easyier to conceal.

camar
May 2, 2011, 12:25 AM
Mr. Joey here. No such thing as a throw away gun.

SonofGilnockie89
June 22, 2011, 01:59 AM
I do have a few "drop guns" for the sake of having something I don't mind getting muck all over when fishing. As I always wear the Glock in the house, I couldn't comment on the drawer idea.

Nushif
June 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
I think the base premise here is off.

It makes little economic sense to throw what little money the average user of these has into something you're going to discard.

Calling them throwaway guns kind of implies one of two things:
People so poor they can only afford a .22 Raven ought not to have a gun in the first place due to their finances, or ...
People who own a .22 Raven or whatnot buy them with the intent to do a crime.

So I will argue that the notion of a throw-away gun (outside of corrupt policing) is flawed inherently. Criminals tend to drop whatever gun they used for the crime. How often are perfectly good Glocks found in some trash can three blocks from a murder? Applying the notion that these guns are only used in criminals hands is similar to claiming tommy guns are only used by gangsters.

Where's the difference between a Glock used in a Crime, a Dan Wesson used in a crime and a .25 Raven used in a crime?
Easy! the difference is the same as a Glock sitting in a night stand, a Dan Wesson sitting in a nightstand and a .25 Raven sitting in a night stand.

tldr;

The premise is wrong. They're not throwaway guns at the time of purchase usually. Just really, really inexpensive and easily concealed.

They're dirt cheap carry guns that even the poorest can afford. Nothing more and nothing less.

PabloJ
June 22, 2011, 03:35 PM
Purchased a Hi-Point 45 for around $150 new. Has done everything I have asked it to do. Lifetime warranty if anything does go bad.
I heard rumor that in countries that were formerly behind the "Iron Curtain" 9x18 is most commonly used to shoot in back of the head. Have you looked at alloy framed close copy of PPK called FEG PA-63? There are also pistolet Makarova, P-64, P-83,...... These are compact reliable disposable firearms.

PabloJ
June 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
Don't like little palm pistols and derringers pesonally. I wouldn't call them throw away guns, though. Makes it seem like it is a stolen gun on the street that a criminal would toss after commiting a crime. Akin to the old Saturday Night Special.

Bond Arms, as well as a few others, sell a double shot derringer chambered in .45LC/ .410 shotshells.
I'm not sure but by "throw away" they mean suitable for dumping from a bridge after it is no longer needed.

Usmc-1
June 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
obviously throw away could mean many things , similiar to the fact if the bad walks into your house , he attacks your wife or kids (or you!) , you shoot him dead ! In some states they will arrest you for murder , now if that guy was carrying a Ginsu knife (which by the way you put in his hand , because you only had one Ginsu knife in the house) the detectives will see that you dont have any Ginsu's ,and theres a throw away knife right there! Im not saying have that as a cop ,just to put on some thug you wasted , but thats what it seems like/!!!

Nope , not me, my thoughts on throw aways are Hi-points , because if you go to a gun show ,watch who buys these guns ? Many a "Baggy Pant Democrat" will buy this gun of choice to rob stores with , they wont buy a glock , hell they wont buy a lorcin or davis , hipoints are cheaper!

Nushif
June 22, 2011, 10:09 PM
Nope , not me, my thoughts on throw aways are Hi-points , because if you go to a gun show ,watch who buys these guns ? Many a "Baggy Pant Democrat" will buy this gun of choice to rob stores with , they wont buy a glock , hell they wont buy a lorcin or davis , hipoints are cheaper!

:: Brain Asplode ::

Geckgo
June 22, 2011, 10:45 PM
I bought an HP22a the other day, after seeing numerous threads, youtube videos, online reviews, and such. Haven't shot it yet, but it cost 146 OTD (would have been 136 if I paid cash) and much to the surprise of some people, I don't associate myself as a Democrat, I'm not scarce on cash, I'm not afraid of bigger calibers (my XD45 will vouch for that, as will my 30-06), I don't plan on committing any crimes (I don't even roll stopsigns), hmm, I know i missed someone but that's a good list.

I wanted a .22 pocket pistol, and I didn't want to spend more than my 10/22 cost to get one. From what I've seen the HP22a potmetal poorly put together cast zinc POS has a pretty good following and seemed pretty reliable. If the range ever dries up I'll get down there and post a range report :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Throw Away Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!