Is there a good source on original S&W wood grips?


Jim NE
April 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
I purchased a early 90's model 64 S&W last week, and went out an shot it yesterday. I'm pleased with the gun's function and smooth action, but I've kinda decided I don't really like the oversized Pachmyr rubber grips. They feel a little flat in shape, and I don't get quite the sense of control that I'd like.

I like the traditional skinny original wood grips on my model 10 better. Is there a source for these grips, used or new? I looked, but didn't really find anything online. If you don't want to leave a post, you can pm me. Thanks - Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a good source on original S&W wood grips?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Lucky Derby
April 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Often they can be found in used bins at gun shops ar at gun shows.

You might try the classified section at

April 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
Go to gunbroker>firearms parts and accessories>pistol>grips.

Then in the search engine, type in "Smith."

I got 19 pages of grips for sale for Smith and Wesson.

Jim NE
April 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys!

April 20, 2011, 03:01 PM
Hi Jim,
try the auction sites, or several aftermarket sellers make good looking reproduction grips. I no nothing about the quality of their product but Eagle grips make several styles of S&W grips.

April 20, 2011, 05:02 PM
Try mets2redsox0 on gunbroker....he has the largest selection of reasonably priced original used grips I have seen in 1 place...hope this helps

Oops I forgot try Smith and Wesson's web site.

Jim NE
April 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks again for more information. I looked on auction sites and found several options, but used grips in good condition were often what new ones were, so I ended up getting some from S&W (per Remllez.) Even got an extra set to replace the battered ones on my model 10 (though I'll keep the originals.)

April 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
ebay still allows grips. You pay the going price, but you can pretty much find the correct period/style grips for any S&W if you watch long enough.

April 20, 2011, 10:53 PM
You can buy them directly off the S&W WEB Site ( and for a reasonable price too. I think your M64 has a round butt but they have both square and round butt K/L frame service grips on the site. (only $31.57)

Jim NE
April 21, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yes, ArchAngelCD, I just bought a couple sets of new ones from Smith and Wesson because they were the price you mentioned, while a set of used (good condition) model 64 grips were $30 on gunbroker or ebay. I HATE auctions, so I paid an extra $1.50 for new ones. They're made of "dymond wood" or something, which I think may be a wood composite designed to take a beating, but they look just like the originals, so [I] don't care. (My 64 is a square butt, BTW. Thanks for researching the S&W site.)

April 21, 2011, 03:51 AM
I agree with sharps dressed, I puchased a 1978 S&W model 19 in mint condition with hogue grips, I wanted the original wood combat grips i found them on ebay. price range 50 to 100 just depends on quality of grips i got mine for 50 $ very pleased and worth every penny. i have looked at gunshows before but the ones i got for 50 would have gone for at least 75 to100 at the show. its hit or miss at gun shows.

April 22, 2011, 01:53 AM
They look like the originals because they are except for the hand fitting.
I'm glad I could help...

BTW, here is a photo of my square butt M686 wearing Service grips. I must admit they don't look as good on a L frame as they do on a K frame but I still like them. I added a set of Pachmayr "T-Grips" to the setup. Silver T-Grips would look better but that's what I could find! LOL

Jim NE
April 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
Great looking revolver, ArchAngelCD. I think the service grips give it a FANTASTIC look.

When I took the Pachmayr's off of my model 64, I saw that the pin (in the frame) that keeps the original wood grips properly seated had been removed to accomodate the non-original grips. I was surprised that none of the local gunsmiths carried the pin, and even more surprised that they wanted $35 to "fabricate " and install one (Rather than order one from S&W.) I found a 39 cent steel roll pin of the correct length and installed it myself. Fits nice and snug, and looks pretty much like the original one in my model 10. Could've got one from Smith and Wesson I'm sure, but didn't think of it until after I'd ordered my grips.

Gunsmiths are worth every penny they charge, but I'm not rich enough to turn a 39 cent job into a $35 job.

April 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
Even if I had the money I wouldn't pay $35 for a 39 cent job!!!

Glad you got that taken care of without having to spend $35...
(don't forget the pictures when the grips come in)

BTW, here is a photo of the grips that originally came with that M686. They are just way too big for my hand although they look good too...

April 24, 2011, 02:49 AM

Check out the's classified section (you'll have to register to see the classified sections). is where the heavyweight collectors all hang, and they are quite generous and helpful to folks needing either information or parts for their Smiths.

Someone will hook you up with the appropriate "magna stocks" (as S&W called their grips back then) for your specific year even of your Model 64, and they won't cost you an arm or a leg either! Heck, there's even a guy there who expertly restores old, scratched up and abused S&W stocks and his work is incredible!

Jim NE
April 24, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that info, S&Wfan. I just joined that forum recently, but haven't spent much time there yet. That will change.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a good source on original S&W wood grips?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!