Top break revolvers

PDA

LHRGunslinger
April 20, 2011, 09:41 PM
I absolutely love them. I have no real reason for it. I just do. I was wondering what would be a good top-break to get to shoot to death?

If you enjoyed reading about "Top break revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
April 20, 2011, 09:49 PM
Here's a few to check out...

Uberti Model 3 in .45LC, .38Special, .44Russian or .44/40
H&R Model 999 Sportsman in .22LR
Webley Mk VI in .455Webley
Webley Mk IV in .38S&W

The Uberti is the only one that's still in production.

Auto426
April 20, 2011, 10:16 PM
I feel that same way. For some reason, I just like top breaks. Unfortunately, they aren't the strongest revolver design out there, and they are very expensive. I'd love to have one of the Webley's, but collectors are scooping them up and driving prices through the roof.

The easiest thing to do if you reload is pick up one of the old S&W top breaks in either .32 or .38 S&W. They are dirt cheap and should be easy enough to find. If you are looking for something new then you are pretty much limited to the Uberti clones of the S&W No. 3's.

LHRGunslinger
April 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
@ Quiet I'd only be intrested in the Uberti & H&R Model 999 right now because I'm not ready to get into handloading right now. About how much does the Model 999 run usually?

@ Auto426: Izhmech designed the MP412 REX in .357 magnum. Unfortunately the Clinton/Yeltsin trade agreement has made it impossible to import it.

22-rimfire
April 20, 2011, 11:09 PM
You should be able to score a H&R 999 for $300 or a bit less. I really enjoyed the top break design on mine. It was my first revolver. I eventually turned to Colts for a higher quality revolver. The timing may have been off on mine and the cylinder gap was a bit wide. I would check whatever you find out as carefully as you can.

harqueb.us
April 21, 2011, 01:07 AM
I thought S&W was making their Model 3 again, but I can only find the Engraved model on their website... for $4500 :o
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765852_-1_757780_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

There's also the Navy Arms:
http://www.navyarms.com/top_break_revolver.html

I'd like to get one of the Uberti's in .38. I wish someone would beef up the design for .44 special, though.

Auto426
April 21, 2011, 01:46 AM
@ Auto426: Izhmech designed the MP412 REX in .357 magnum. Unfortunately the Clinton/Yeltsin trade agreement has made it impossible to import it.

I've looked into that one quite a bit in the past. I don't believe it ever got past the prototype stage. IIRC, it was specifically designed for export to the U.S., and once the Clinton agreement passed they canceled development on it. It's a shame though, as it seemed like such an interesting concept. I would have loved to see it get some real testing to see how well a modern design top break would hold up.

mr_goodbomb
April 21, 2011, 02:43 AM
Did you post on Reddit, too?

skidder
April 21, 2011, 03:06 AM
This is my trail gun: Sportsman 999 22LR 9-shot. Absolutely no tool marks like some of the newer revolvers. The bluing and quality for a low priced revolver (during its time) had no equal. The low end revolvers now are peppered with tool marks and sloppiness, but that is just a sign of the times......:(......sad but true.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140472&d=1302839395

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140473&d=1302839442

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140474&d=1302839488

skidder
April 21, 2011, 03:16 AM
I recently purchased a new Taurus (for the price) and I don't have enough fingers and toes to add up all the tool marks.

evan price
April 21, 2011, 04:27 AM
Iver Johnson 3rd model for smokeless... not real strong but could pop away with light 32's all day long.

jamesjo
April 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
Here's a few of my favorite top breaks.
Two 4", and two 6" H&R Sportsman, all 1980 manufacture.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/pearls003.jpg

skidder
April 21, 2011, 03:13 PM
jamesjo-- Nice looking collection!!

Zebraranger
April 21, 2011, 05:28 PM
Nice looking top breaks Jamesjo. Those look like Jay Scott grips you have on them. This is the only top break that I own, its a 125 year old Smith & Wesson 3rd Model Double Action that my Dad gave me.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/zebraranger/Collection/DSC05978-1-1.jpg

MCgunner
April 21, 2011, 05:55 PM
I recently purchased a new Taurus (for the price) and I don't have enough fingers and toes to add up all the tool marks.

Not to sidetrack the subject, but if you didn't like all the tool marks, why'd you buy it? :rolleyes:

jamesjo
April 21, 2011, 07:15 PM
Zebra,
Thanks! I like your Smith too!!
Good eye, they are Jay Scott grips.
Started out with white, then found a set of the black, and fell in love!
Bought another set of white, then waited 2 years before I found the 2nd set of black pearls.
Was worth the wait!
I still like the original grips, but this 2 pair set is just cool!
I found another set of white grips, and replaced the yellowish set.
Really a nice match now!

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/morepearls.jpg

jamesjo
April 21, 2011, 07:39 PM
skidder,
Thanks, that's a very nice 4" you have also!
I have several other Sportsman pieces also, I may post a few of those later.:cool:

Deaf Smith
April 21, 2011, 11:49 PM
Yea like mine!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140048&d=1302218523

Deaf

Morrell
April 22, 2011, 01:34 AM
Anyone here get one of the NAA mini top break revolvers?

btz
April 22, 2011, 02:14 AM
aren't the NAA top breaks like 200 bucks more than the non top break version for no apparent reason?

BCRider
April 22, 2011, 03:21 AM
Btz, I would not call it "for no apparent reason". The NAA regular revolvers are extremely simple affairs with the cylinders just being withdrawn to reload. The NAA Ranger top break not only has the hinge but also the cylinder has a S&W like star assembly that pushes the empty cases back up to make for easier extraction. That's a LOT of extra parts, machining time and assembly handling compared to the other guns in their product line. You also have to figure in the cost of development and the likely fewer number of Rangers that will be sold compared to the other models. That development time cost has to be recovered as part of the cost of the expected number of sales of the Ranger.

So all in all for a small production item an "extra" $200 isn't all that unreasonable. After all, it's not like they are going to make literally millions of the things like S&W did with the old M&P revolver which then turned into the Model 10 and just kept on going like the Energizer bunny.

Usmc-1
April 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
God you guys are killing me , everytime I turn around I see something I want! I feel like kid in a candy factory "I'll take 1 of those , 2 of those , wow, I want 1 of them too" ,It just keeps coming at me?

I seen a really nice one the other day when I was buying my RedHawk , it looked like 45 c , not sure the price ,but it was clean , not sure the condition , look like the cyclinder was silver and the rest was bluied!

BCRider
April 22, 2011, 03:35 PM
Usmc, when you shoot for fun they ALL look great and you want them ALL and you want them NOW! Welcome to the obsession :D

Bide your time. They are out there and eventually you'll trip over a deal on one or find a new one when the time is right. In the meantime here's another teaser to flumox you. The little guy is the NAA "The Earl". It took me a while to get the hang of holding it and how to pull the trigger without pushing it to the side but now I can shoot 1.5 to 2 inch groups with it all day long at 12 yards. And 1 to 1.25 inch groups are not uncommon for me when I'm having a "good eyes and steady hands" day. The small guns ARE capable of some great shooting. It's just that we are stuck with hands that need re-educating for how to best hold them.

Drool on this pard'ner.... :D The big guy is a Uberti 1858 cap and ball black powder percussion jobbie.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126151&d=1282109984

Jim K
April 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
I doubt any of the guns on Quiet's list can be shot to destruction with original pressure loads, and the H&R 999 will last indefinitely so far as the latch goes.

Jim

mr_goodbomb
April 22, 2011, 04:13 PM
Btz, I would not call it "for no apparent reason". The NAA regular revolvers are extremely simple affairs with the cylinders just being withdrawn to reload. The NAA Ranger top break not only has the hinge but also the cylinder has a S&W like star assembly that pushes the empty cases back up to make for easier extraction. That's a LOT of extra parts, machining time and assembly handling compared to the other guns in their product line. You also have to figure in the cost of development and the likely fewer number of Rangers that will be sold compared to the other models. That development time cost has to be recovered as part of the cost of the expected number of sales of the Ranger.

So all in all for a small production item an "extra" $200 isn't all that unreasonable. After all, it's not like they are going to make literally millions of the things like S&W did with the old M&P revolver which then turned into the Model 10 and just kept on going like the Energizer bunny.

Add to the fact that the standard NAA models have been produced to the point where the equipment is paid for, machines are made to churn them out, and they've made enough for the price point to get lower. The Rangers are a limited run, they decided not to purchase the machines to produce them, and that means a higher cost.

skidder
April 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
McGunner-- The gun was ok till I shot it. Sent it in and Taurus figured they would customize my finish with some beautiful scrapes, divets and chunks. I don't think Micheal Angelo's soul was controlling their hands. I'm pretty good with stainless so I got looking pretty good now, but never again will I send a gun to them.:cuss: Why did you have to bring that up???? Now you got me all festered again.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Top break revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!