Hand polishing New S&W 629 Revolver?

PDA

Kynoch
April 20, 2011, 11:39 PM
I just purchased a new S&W 629. I remember seeing somewhere on the web where a person hand polished their S&W 617 using Mother's Mag Polish. It looked great. Does anyone here have any experience doing that? How much effort does it take? Or we talking 4 hours or closer to 40 hours? How about Mothers versus Flitz? Any recommendations? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand polishing New S&W 629 Revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3leggeddog
April 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
I tried Mothers on my GP100 , it work great and it doesn't take long to do + it does NOT scratch. You get a high gloss shine!

ColtPythonElite
April 21, 2011, 11:49 AM
What kind of finish are you looking for? Polishing by hand will really only brighten things up. It won't take out all of the machine marks and bring it up to a "mirror" shine unless you rub on it for 40 weeks or so.

I use Mother's on my stainless guns to put a shine on them. However, to bring one out to a true mirror shine, I use a bench mounted buffer.

The good thing about rubbing on it by hand is that your really can't mess it up.

The cylinder on this gun is what machine buffing gets you. The frame is more like what hand rubbing will get you.....Sure, you can bring one out to a mirror shine rubbing on it by hand, but it can be time consuming.

Standing Wolf
April 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
I bright-polished my pre-agreement model 60 shortly after I bought it. It looked great; unfortunately, even looking at it hard left visible marks in the finish. I sent it to Magnaport for barrel porting and crowning, bead blasting, and jeweling the hammer and trigger. It's not still shiny, but the finish is stable.

PRM
April 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
I did my Model 60-9 in one evening watching TV. Maybe two hours with a terri cloth hand towel.

I like the finish with Mother's Mag Polish on stainless over a gun with factory nickel. Easy, quick and the more you polish the better it looks.

My Model 649 was a Police trade in and had some honest carry marks. The insides were pristine and the gun was a tight as a new one. I used Mother's Mag Polish on it (about 30 minutes) and got a great finish. It's not as shiny as my Model 60. But, that will come when I have more time.

3leggeddog
April 21, 2011, 04:45 PM
PRM: your gun looks great, I may have spent a hr. on mine and it look way way better like yours. Its SO EASY to do!!!!!!!!

Kynoch
April 21, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the great input. I have one other question. Are the parts that make-up stainless steel guns passivated before they are assembled into a gun? It would certainly seem like they would be. How much polishing would it take to remove the passivated layer given that it would only be a few billionths of an inch thick? Is this the reason for people advising the use of car wax on polished stainless pistols? Thanks again.

Kynoch
April 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/SmithWessonModel6176inrevolver004.jpg
Here is an image of the S&W Model 617 that was posted on THR. The owner polished it by hand using Mothers. No power tools were used. It looks very nice to me.

dewalt-2
April 21, 2011, 07:14 PM
Here's my 686 done with Mother's...lots and lots of treatments. I give it a new coat every other cleaning or so.
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/003-11.jpg
The MIM parts (trigger, hammer, and thumb piece) were first polished with a wire wheel in a dremel, then jeweler's rouge on a buffing wheel, then the mother's.

joed
April 21, 2011, 08:00 PM
I've done a number of my stainless revolvers using Flitz. Just get a cloth and work away while watching TV. In the end you'll have a shine that resembles nickel.

Heard the Mothers Mag Polish works just as well, but I had Flitz.

psyshack
April 21, 2011, 08:34 PM
Here is my 686P in very near mirror. With the hammer and trigger blasted with used media to match the cylinder release. I stripped the pistol down took 0000 steel wool to it with some car paint rubbing compound so I could get a good read on the worthless factory finish. ( Nothing but semi controlled scratching )

I then took dry 2000 grit sand paper to it. Once I got done with it at that stage, I started in on it with 2000 grit paper and light oil. I then took the mothers to it.

That got the pistol this far.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/686_P2.jpg
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/686_P1.jpg

At this point it also got its full action job. The trigger is nice. Bore is lapped out a tad and some other detail work.

Since those pic's have been taken it's been lovingly polished on with mothers billet.

IMHO it takes a lot of careful hand work to keep the detail and make one pop. :)

I'm thinking about getting a 6" and doing it in satin finish like the trigger and hammer. Then if it needs more bling do the flutes on the cylinder or polish the screws and mount a scope on it.

Kynoch
April 22, 2011, 05:56 AM
Is Mother's Billet Metal Polish even finer than Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish?

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2011, 11:47 AM
Is Mother's Billet Metal Polish even finer than Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish?

Maybe or it may just be a marketing gimmick...At any rate you won't hurt stainless with the mag polish. I even use it on my nickel plated guns that need cleaning up. I recently did one that had some patina from it's old age showing. It turned out looking like new.

rogertc1
April 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
Semi chrome polish and hours of tv...OR GET A POLISHING WHEEL FOR A GRINDER TO HELP.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/firearms/SSLuger.jpg

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2011, 05:13 PM
A couple of hours with a bench mounted buffer:

PRM
April 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
I wont touch one of my guns to a buffer/felt wheel (and I use them in my knife making regularly). It my be quicker but you have a built in recipe for disaster on a pristine firearm. I've seen guns so aggressively buffed that they have lost their sharp edges or had the lettering stretched, some even removed. The worst I ever saw was a Cimarron Bisley. The gun had been so aggressively buffed in the factory final finish that a new cylinder had to be installed.

Bottom line; speed is not always better. Once the metal is gone you can't put it back.

Mothers's is quick and easy. All one needs is an old hand towel. You will be surprised how fast the process is.

ColtPythonElite
April 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
I agree that a buffer isn't for the ham handed. I also agree that Mother's is some good stuff. However, there is nearly no way a man could rub the rough machine marks that pictured Ruger had in it out with Mother's and a towel.

I have a large assortment of wheels of different composition and design, plus a wide range of compounds for metal. I've been buffing different metals for different jobs for a good while and feel pretty comfortable doing work on most firearms....A guy that runs down to Lowe's, buys a wheel or two to bolt on his grinder could easily bum something up.

LTR shooter
April 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
I just purchased a new S&W 629.

I have a full lug 629 Classic with the laser engraving and after one light session with the Mothers I notice the markings were less distinct. If you have the traditional 629 with impressed markings that will not be a factor. I have used Mothers and towel to polish a 686 and Single Six with great results and a light polish on a 66-1 to even out the spotty factory finish.

PRM
April 23, 2011, 01:50 PM
Although my Model 60 was bought new and I did not have the machine mark issue, my Model 649 had some honest carry marks from being a police issued firearm.

I worked those out by hand starting with 200 grit sand paper moving to finer grit, then a wet sand with 600. Mother's was the final finish.

I still say you can take a SS gun that has been highly polished on a buffer and set it next to a new one and you will tell the difference in the lettering. You will loose the crispness and close inspection will show a shadow like depression around the individual lettering. Dependent on the skill of the user, in some cases you will get a stretching of the letters.

buttrap
April 24, 2011, 12:31 AM
One issue with the polish on stainless is they do tend to scuff, scratch and mar really easy after they are shined up. If you use them much be prepared for some maintance to keep them looking good.

460Kodiak
April 24, 2011, 12:09 PM
Will polishing with Mother's affect the S&W logo on the frame at all? Does one need to avoid this spot?

Where does one find Mother's? Midway, hardware store, Cabela's?

rayman
April 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
pep boys, kragen, o' reiley's...

knighthawk-72
April 24, 2011, 12:41 PM
I bought it at Walmark it was under 5.00. I just finished my S&W 65-2. It turned out really nice.

PRM
April 24, 2011, 06:18 PM
As long as you are doing it by hand you'll be OK.

psyshack
April 25, 2011, 10:18 AM
Polishing up my 686P took out the dark part of the S&W seal and the Lock designators. But left them clean and easy to see and read.

I was worried that putting a high polish on it would make it easy to scratch and mar. The opposite has taken place. It seems a bit more resistant to scratches and such now. It's just flat out slicker.

Water-Man
April 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
What will Mothers do to blued metal?

ColtPythonElite
April 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't use it at all on a blue gun unless it was rusty and then I would use it with very, very light pressure....Too much rubbing will take off the blueing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand polishing New S&W 629 Revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!