Australian Police Surplus Coming?

PDA

MikeJackmin
April 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
"ALMOST 10,000 Australian police-issue handguns will flood the American secondary arms market after two state police departments opted to trade in their old weapons rather than have them destroyed."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/police-gun-trade-ins-to-flood-us-market/story-fn59niix-1226038742048

Mentions M66 snubs, and unspecified rugers. Anybody know where to find some?

Floods. I love floods.

If you enjoyed reading about "Australian Police Surplus Coming?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
towboat_er
April 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hope they are inexpensive.

rromeo
April 21, 2011, 11:06 AM
They'll probably go to a place like J&G Sales, and be on the site for $199, then some other dealers will buy them by the truckload to take to gun shows and put on Gunbroker for $400-600.

Husker_Fan
April 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a 2.5 inch 66. If they can be had at a surplus price, I'd be all over it.

Black Butte
April 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
Makes you wonder why Obama and Hillary are allowing the importation of these Australian police handguns when they blocked us from getting our own M1 Garands back from South Korea as C&R rifles. :confused:

GEM
April 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
A reasonable 66 snub - come to me. I want it.

Probably fired once at a kangaroo.

InkEd
April 21, 2011, 12:36 PM
The government just wasted over $150 million on the Barry Bonds case and you're looking for a logical answer to anything?

Just be greatful and pick one up if you want it. I am guessing the Rugers will be either P-series semi-autos or (hopefully) Six-series revolvers.

PinoyInFL
April 21, 2011, 06:47 PM
can't wait for this to hit the online stores!

leadcounsel
April 21, 2011, 06:54 PM
Since when is 10,000 guns a "flood?" A measly 200 guns per state...

wnycollector
April 21, 2011, 07:04 PM
I think there will be an Aussie 3" model 65 on my shopping list if they make it here:)

clutch
April 21, 2011, 07:06 PM
Makes you wonder why Obama and Hillary are allowing the importation of these Australian police handguns when they blocked us from getting our own M1 Garands back from South Korea as C&R rifles. :confused:

Maybe they are too focused on the next election?

I wouldn't mind a M66, I don't need one but I could find a spot in the safe for one.

Clutch

yhtomit
April 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
a) I want to know a more detailed list of what's on offer ;)

b) Did anyone else notice this breathless panic-piece attached to the linked story? http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/police-gun-trade-ins-to-flood-us-market/story-fn59niix-1226038742048

This is why I like to live further up the freedom gradient ;)

timothy

Carl N. Brown
April 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
65,000,000 handguns in the US and 10,000 "new" surplus are a "flood"?

BleysAhrens
April 21, 2011, 07:35 PM
I hope J&G gets them! That's a 20 min drive for me!:neener:

armoredman
April 21, 2011, 07:57 PM
That would be cool, if I could afford the squeeze - a revolver that says "g'day!"

Toforo
April 21, 2011, 09:06 PM
Great - used guns where the bullet spins in the opposite direction....

:uhoh:

tekarra
April 21, 2011, 09:24 PM
What a shame the snubbies were destroyed.

Deaf Smith
April 21, 2011, 11:47 PM
SA has agreed to the export of 2405 Smith & Wesson .357 calibre revolvers with 4-inch and 2.5-inch barrels. Victoria has relinquished the 4-inch and 3-inch barrel versions of its 7513 Smith & Wesson .38 calibre revolvers, but destroyed its snub-nosed, 2-inch barrel versions, estimated to represent between 5 and 10 per cent of the total.

Bring them in to papa!!!

But why destroy the 2 inch snubs???

Deaf

Radagast
April 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
Two inch guns are illegal for civilian ownership here in OZ but so are three inch, so I've no idea why ony the two inch guns are being destroyed.

S&Ws Australian distributor may be arranging the sale in the USA. For those that really want to buy one you could email them: http://www.grycol.com.au/

Back ground on Philip Alpers mentioned in the article, a former druggie and university drop out who is now a university professor without formal academic training:
http://www.ssaa.org.au/research/2005/2005-07-22_philip-alpers-a-most-dubious-researcher.html

19-3Ben
April 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
Great - used guns where the bullet spins in the opposite direction....:D:D:D:D:D

Now THAT's funny.

MAKster
April 22, 2011, 12:47 PM
One reason that the 2" barrel models might have been destroyed is because I don't think they are importable into the U.S. I recall reading that Taurus imports their snub revolvers into the U.S. with 4" barrels and then replaces them with 2" barrels in Miami.

Johnny97216
April 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
How about some of the Armys Steyr AUG's . Time for the Aussie to switch the old ones out for new ones and i could have a chance some day to get a real Steyr. I think the ones made by microtech are most likely made as well but they were so rude to me wuth customer service, they wanted to do the whole FFL thing to replace a missing torx screw on my knife and charge an arm and a leg. I would not want to fight them to get my Microtech AUG fixed. (I am still missing that torx screw by the way)

Johnny97216
April 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
65,000,000 handguns in the US and 10,000 "new" surplus are a "flood"?
a couple to keep out and 30 to hide in a weatherproof PVC tube (HAHA)

GRIZ22
April 22, 2011, 01:22 PM
One reason that the 2" barrel models might have been destroyed is because I don't think they are importable into the U.S. I recall reading that Taurus imports their snub revolvers into the U.S. with 4" barrels and then replaces them with 2" barrels in Miami.

Taurus used 3" barrels because the gun didn't meet the height and length requirement (10" total I think). I don't know think this applies to returned US goods and may only be the present adminstration's interpretation of the law.

Husker_Fan
April 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
I read it as a choice of one of the agencies in Australia to destroy the 2 in. guns rather than return them. If I was a taxpayer there, I'd be ticked they didn't get the trade-in value.

My understanding is that the reason the State Department could block the M1 Garands and carbines from Korea was because they were sold to Korea by the Department of Defense, not the manufacturers. Re-importation of DoD sold arms must have DoS approval. That doesn't apply to re-importation of guns sold by the manufactures to foreign countries.

PabloJ
April 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
That is good news for shooters here. I bet most will be in excellent mechanical order. I do not think Kiwi PDP shoot handguns whole lot.

Stumpknocker
April 22, 2011, 04:57 PM
That is good news for shooters here. I bet most will be in excellent mechanical order. I do not think Kiwi PDP shoot handguns whole lot.

The Kiwis are from New Zealand.

exavid
April 22, 2011, 05:12 PM
I suspect those police turn ins would be in good condition. I bought a Walther P1 in 1985 or thereabouts for $65 from a dealer. It came from a batch the West German police got rid of when they changed their pistols. Nice deal, even came with a police type flapped holster. The gun was in excellent shape with just a bit of holster wear. I doubt it had more than a couple hundred rounds through it if that.

Deaf Smith
April 24, 2011, 10:44 PM
And a bunch of others are here NOW!!!

Smith & Wesson .38 Special model 64 Stainless Snub 2 inch Round Butt California Dept of Corrections VG 1991

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?ltid-all=1&t=&as=365&mn=0&mx=0&ffl=&ca=&co=&f=&sort=&numberperpage=50&cid=644&lid=87270&dn=Robertson%20Trading%20Post&ns=0&zipcode=&distance=0&limittostate=&

And lots of them!

Plus S&W .38 Special Model 10-5 Blue 4 inch Pencil Pinned Barrel 38 Spl M10 mod 10 VG 1977 Delaware Department of Corrections.

Deaf

alienbogey
April 24, 2011, 11:59 PM
The Kiwis are from New Zealand.
POME's are from Australia.

RUT
April 25, 2011, 01:16 AM
>>What a shame the snubbies were destroyed.<<

Perhaps they forged them into a peace symbol of some sort.

InkEd
April 25, 2011, 02:06 AM
Those prices on gunsamerica aren't that good.

mp510
April 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
There was somebody on this board (or possibly another) who ordered a 2" Taurus 94 a couple of years ago and actually received one that had not been finished, so to speak. Rather than replacing the barrel, they come in with uneven "long barrels" (like 3.x" IIRC) that are cut down and crowned before resale.

toivo
April 25, 2011, 02:16 AM
POME's are from Australia.

Um... "Poms" are what the Australians call Englishmen. I'm not sure what it means, but it's not a compliment: it's usually followed by a word that means "person born out of wedlock."

rromeo
April 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
Um... "Poms" are what the Australians call EnglishmenOriginally, POME meant Prisoner of Mother England. The Ozzies threw it back at the Brits.

Jim NE
April 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
Plus S&W .38 Special Model 10-5 Blue 4 inch Pencil Pinned Barrel 38 Spl M10 mod 10 VG 1977 Delaware Department of Corrections.

From what I've been able to piece together, the used Model 10 that I purchased recently is likely surplus, but not from the Delaware D.O.C. It's stamped "Davidson's, Prescott, AZ." in small letters on the frame. According to Robertson's Supply in TN, that's actually a legally required import stamp. Apparently, the M10's were sold by S&W on the export market, and are now returning to the States. The fact that they are model 10's and were purchased recently by Davidson's in bulk quantities leads me to believe they were originally purchased by foreign military or police forces. My dealer probably got it wholesale from Davidsons.

(The Deleware guns won't have a stamp, and most seem to have target grips. )

I would be interested to find out where these guns were originally exported to. Maybe they're from LOCAL police dept.s in Australia. My guess is Asia or New Zealand or that part of the world. Any ideas?

Vonderek
April 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Not a great price but least it's a chance to get a S&W with no lock

toivo
April 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
Originally, POME meant Prisoner of Mother England. The Ozzies threw it back at the Brits.
Thanks--I didn't know that! A person can learn stuff hanging around on these forums! ;)

Jim NE
April 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
Speaking of J G sales, they have used S&W model 10's there for around $200. A great price, if they're in good working order. Don't think that's a wholesale-dealer only price, but I'm not really sure. You might check it out.

alienbogey
April 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
I had a Kiwi friend who called Aussie's POME's to piss them off.

millertyme
April 25, 2011, 03:15 PM
10,000 a flood in the US? Hardly. More like a few more drops in the bucket. I'd love to get a couple of those 4" .357's

toivo
April 25, 2011, 06:00 PM
Speaking of J G sales, they have used S&W model 10's there for around $200. A great price, if they're in good working order. Don't think that's a wholesale-dealer only price, but I'm not really sure. You might check it out.

I don't see any Model 10's on their website. Only parts kits -- no frame -- for $99.95. I'd pay $200 for a nice Model 10 in a New York minute.

Jim NE
April 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
I don't see any Model 10's on their website.

Darned if I don't either. I was just sure they were there the other day. Maybe it was somewhere else. but I don't think so. They had multiuple model 10's listed from prices of $199 to $239. I got the impression they were surplus. This is the only thing I could find on my browser record, and this weapon is no longer on the site. Sorry about that.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-10%2C-4in-standard-barrel-very-good-condition-s-w/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/4710

if i find that they were somewhere else, i'll let you know.

Owen Sparks
April 25, 2011, 08:22 PM
They quit making the Model 66 for a reason.

cerberus65
April 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
Jim NE, you're not hallucinating. J G Sales did have a bunch of Model 10s recently. I sent a link to them to a friend who was looking for one. He waited too long. By this past weekend they were all gone. I was commiserating with him on Sunday about the missed opportunity.

Animal Mother
April 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
Yep, I saw those on J&G as well. Seemed like a bunch, they really sold out quickly. I sure hope the ones coming in from AUS aren't DOA only.

Aren't we all
April 26, 2011, 05:37 PM
"Australia leads the world with gun buybacks and destruction programs and yet here we have police and federal government licensing the export of several tonnes of concealable handguns to the only developed nation which suffers Third World rates of gun death and injury," he said. ???????:scrutiny:

El Tejon
April 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
Since when is 10,000 guns a "flood?" A measly 200 guns per state...

What? What kind of math is that?

10K guns divided by 57 states is 175.4 guns per state.

Here are the greatest minds in Australia discussing the police trade-ins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

oldbear
April 26, 2011, 06:11 PM
They'll probably go to a place like J&G Sales, and be on the site for $199, then some other dealers will buy them by the truckload to take to gun shows and put on Gunbroker for $400-600.

I'm afraid that this is correct. If a wholesaler offers them anyone who wants one will need to act fast, b-4 the re sellers snap them up.

Now, does anyone have any factual information as to when these may be offered for sale?

harmon rabb
April 26, 2011, 06:43 PM
Those prices on gunsamerica aren't that good.

agreed. they're crap.

B_Li_Ber_Tar_Ian
April 26, 2011, 06:46 PM
These are/were a deal...sold out in less than a week. On the bright side, he says there's more models on the way!

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/K_frame.html

Radagast
April 26, 2011, 07:48 PM
El Tejon:
Thanks mate. I haven't seen that skit for a couple of decades. As an Aussie I love it. :)

toivo
April 26, 2011, 10:20 PM
I don't see any Model 10's on their website.
Darned if I don't either. I was just sure they were there the other day. Maybe it was somewhere else. but I don't think so. They had multiuple model 10's listed from prices of $199 to $239. I got the impression they were surplus. This is the only thing I could find on my browser record, and this weapon is no longer on the site. Sorry about that.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4710

if i find that they were somewhere else, i'll let you know.

No problem, thanks. Yeah, I know stuff comes and goes on J&G pretty fast sometimes. I keep meaning to check and then a month or so goes by.

GlockFan
April 27, 2011, 12:55 AM
J&G has them back on their site as of 11 pm tonight

If you enjoyed reading about "Australian Police Surplus Coming?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!