Are you happy with your Ruger LCR .38 +P?

PDA

stinger 327
April 21, 2011, 05:37 PM
:confused:
If so which model do you have out of the 3 of them?
The plain open sights
The night sights
The Crimson Trace Gripps.

What do you like about the sight you have on LCR?

If you are unhappy with LCR .38 gun in general (whole gun) what are the reasons?

This gun fullfills it's purpose in close quarters personal protection.
Chances are if you use as intended you will not be using sights regardless but end up point shooting.

If you shoot this on the range you will be using the sight on LCR

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you happy with your Ruger LCR .38 +P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JLM3rd
April 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
I've had mine for 10 months now, and I'm pleased with it. I've got 800 rounds through it so far and have been to two all-day training classes with it. I got the boot grip and XS sight combination, but put Crimson Trace grips on it the same day. I love the point-shooting ability of the CTC grips, but after 100 +p rounds, they do a number on the inside of my right thumb. Now, when I know I'm going to shoot it a bunch, I put a band-aid around that spot and it's all good.

Somewhere, there's a review done for a magazine where a large number (5K or 10K) rounds were put through it and it was still within spec. I doubt I'll wear it out, and if I do and Ruger won't cover it, I'm out less than the ammo it cost to wear it out. I don't think of it as an heirloom to be passed down throught generations. It is what it is.

Mine rides very comfortably in a CrossBreed Qwikclip and I'm pleased with it.

stinger 327
April 23, 2011, 03:14 AM
I've had mine for 10 months now, and I'm pleased with it. I've got 800 rounds through it so far and have been to two all-day training classes with it. I got the boot grip and XS sight combination, but put Crimson Trace grips on it the same day. I love the point-shooting ability of the CTC grips, but after 100 +p rounds, they do a number on the inside of my right thumb. Now, when I know I'm going to shoot it a bunch, I put a band-aid around that spot and it's all good.

Somewhere, there's a review done for a magazine where a large number (5K or 10K) rounds were put through it and it was still within spec. I doubt I'll wear it out, and if I do and Ruger won't cover it, I'm out less than the ammo it cost to wear it out. I don't think of it as an heirloom to be passed down throught generations. It is what it is.

Mine rides very comfortably in a CrossBreed Qwikclip and I'm pleased with it.
What kind of sight is that XS sight?
In addition you can put laser onto the above LCR and then have two sights and get the best of both worlds for aiming. If you use the gun for what it was intended for you probably not use any sights but point instead.
Now will the sight adjustment go out from the recoil of gun even though it's in the gripps?

moxie
April 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
Love my LCR!
I have the plain version with the plain sights. The sights provide a particularly good sight picture for a gun this small.
I prefer the Golden Saber 125+P round for carry. It's the most accurate I've tried. For range work I reload.
It's now my EDC gun and I use an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. I carry in the right front pants pocket. It's small and light enough to live in that pocket unobtrusively with casual pants, jeans or even shorts.

Bush Pilot
April 23, 2011, 05:43 PM
The LCR is my favorite .38. I added a CT a few months, it makes the gun even more versatile.

earlthegoat2
April 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
The XS is a larger dot type sight with a Tritium insert, so yes, it is a night sight. I have been casually looking at these and I would probably opt for the XS sight.

TYFOOON
April 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
I have the +P .38 version, sandard sights, with the Hogue tamer. I love it.

My friend has the same gun and we actually have distance comps between us with them for who buys lunch. What you can do at 30 yards or even more with a accurate snubbie is pretty cool against IDPA sillouettes.

Plus when carrying discretely, even from my wife, it can't be beat.

:neener:

thebaldguy
April 23, 2011, 10:46 PM
My wife has the plain model with open sights. It's a great revolver. It's very light and accurate for a small revolver. It fits great in a purse, pocket, or buttpack.

JLM3rd
April 23, 2011, 10:47 PM
Stinger,
It's the XS standard dot. I've shot the XS Big Dot on my son's Glock 19 and S&W 638 and I prefer the standard dot size.

The point of aim does not change on the grips through shooting. I routinely take them off when I clean the gun and when I put the grips back on, it shoots to the same spot.

grant1265
April 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
One of my favorite guns i have. It was an impulse buy and in my opinion is better than j-frames. I have the standard sights.

camper
April 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have the LCR with the XS night sight and ordered a set of tamer grips for the piece. My favorite revolver for carry.

Green Lantern
April 24, 2011, 09:49 PM
Just picked up one last Thursday! :D

XS Big Dot sight with the "boot grips." I was a little worried about the grips but figured I could change them if needed. But they're fine to me!

I'm a big Night Sight fan, but I think it'll take a little practice to get used to using it. I was used to the "pumpkin on a fence post" sight picture, and shot low quite a bit during my first session.

This could be a whole 'nother thread, but what are some good ammo choices for the gun? I picked up a box of Hornady Critical Defense +Ps when I got the gun, but have heard some less-than-glowing opinions of the round...

ETA: I thought back when I first saw the gun in magazines that it was incredibly UGLY...but something that ugly must have some serious upsides to justify the looks. Quoth Solo, "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 12:50 AM
Just picked up one last Thursday! :D

XS Big Dot sight with the "boot grips." I was a little worried about the grips but figured I could change them if needed. But they're fine to me!

I'm a big Night Sight fan, but I think it'll take a little practice to get used to using it. I was used to the "pumpkin on a fence post" sight picture, and shot low quite a bit during my first session.

This could be a whole 'nother thread, but what are some good ammo choices for the gun? I picked up a box of Hornady Critical Defense +Ps when I got the gun, but have heard some less-than-glowing opinions of the round...

ETA: I thought back when I first saw the gun in magazines that it was incredibly UGLY...but something that ugly must have some serious upsides to justify the looks. Quoth Solo, "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"
I will get the LCR .38 the XS night sight. Then I will probably change the grip and put on a Crimson Laser grip. Have the best of both worlds or just more options even though in most gun fights the sights are not used but pointed. So if this is the case what kind of sight you get for this gun it really doesn't make a difference per stats but I figure I will be up at the range with LCR using the sights and I will have the best of both worlds and I have already shot an LCR .38 and do not find the recoil difficult.
As far as ammo goes I didn't get the LCR yet but I have purchased Hornady CD, Buffalo Bore, Gold Dot for short barrels, Corbon Powerball, Fiocchi and a few other brands.

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 12:51 AM
I have the LCR with the XS night sight and ordered a set of tamer grips for the piece. My favorite revolver for carry.
It is light great for carry but it also has a great trigger pull.

Green Lantern
April 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
+1 on the trigger pull. Though I've not shot enough revolvers...heck, enough ANYTHING...to really comment on it with a seasoned opinion. I know I like it though.

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
+1 on the trigger pull. Though I've not shot enough revolvers...heck, enough ANYTHING...to really comment on it with a seasoned opinion. I know I like it though.
I like the LCR alot better than the S & W Bodyguard which already comes with a laser sight on top of gun with Plastic?cyclinder release on top-strange and the S & W costs alot less for some reason. Usually S & W costs the most against its competition.

SaxonPig
April 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
Do they actually use +P in the name of the gun? That's a hoot.

redbullitt
April 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Love mine. Rides in my coat pocket really well.

Still got the same hogue grips that came on it, but I put a green front sight on it.

Maybe 300 rounds through it; runs great.

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
Love mine. Rides in my coat pocket really well.

Still got the same hogue grips that came on it, but I put a green front sight on it.

Maybe 300 rounds through it; runs great.
I think it is either Cheaper than dirt or Nanchez Shooters sells a pocket holster for the .38 LCR

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 03:47 PM
Do they actually use +P in the name of the gun? That's a hoot.
When I get mine I will try out the +P's and see.

SKILCZ
April 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
I had an LCR .38 +P with CT LaserGrips. I loved it and thought it was a great shooter. I bought it for my wife, but she didn't like its recoil relative to some other guns. I had too many guns that filled the LCR's role already and needed the cash at the time, so I sold it.

My one complaint about the gun is that it rattles when shaken. It never affected the function or seemed to indicate a problem, but it annoyed me. I still don't know which part causes the rattle, but I've read about others having the same issue.

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
I had an LCR .38 +P with CT LaserGrips. I loved it and thought it was a great shooter. I bought it for my wife, but she didn't like its recoil relative to some other guns. I had too many guns that filled the LCR's role already and needed the cash at the time, so I sold it.

My one complaint about the gun is that it rattles when shaken. It never affected the function or seemed to indicate a problem, but it annoyed me. I still don't know which part causes the rattle, but I've read about others having the same issue.
Did you buy the LCR from Ruger with Crimson laser grips already on? Or did you put the Crimson laser gripps on yourself?
How easy or difficult is it to adjust the laser sight?
If the LCR comes any other way you can't adjust those sights.
I have heard the rattle too when shaking LCR and I have heard it is the firing pin?

Green Lantern
April 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm almost sure the manual states that the rattle is the transfer bar, and is normal.

stinger 327
April 25, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm almost sure the manual states that the rattle is the transfer bar, and is normal.
I have witnessed this then when looking at the different LCR's with different sights.

click clack
April 25, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ive been thinking of getting one but i held XS & boot grip combo at a shop and it was too small for me.. I didnt get a chance to hold the original with the hogue tamer grip but it looks great. Anyway, I want that grip with a crimson trace. It looks like you lose alot of comfort and grip with the addition of the crimson trace grips. Is that possible??

stinger 327
April 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
Ive been thinking of getting one but i held XS & boot grip combo at a shop and it was too small for me.. I didnt get a chance to hold the original with the hogue tamer grip but it looks great. Anyway, I want that grip with a crimson trace. It looks like you lose alot of comfort and grip with the addition of the crimson trace grips. Is that possible??
The regular grip and the Crimson Laser grips are fine. That boot grip is just not enough to hold onto and is more for concealment / ankle holsters for those that carry it like that. The grips are suppose to be very easy to change.

bergmen
April 26, 2011, 03:58 PM
My wife and I both have new LCR's with CT laser grips on them. Neither of us prefer this to our Airweights for one reason - the grip.

On our Airweights I installed grips that included an extension for our pinky plus a rubber backstrap for comfort during shooting. This has made these far more comfortable than the hard CT grips on the LCR. Unfortunately, grip changes cannot be done and retain the CT laser.

My 442 with grip on left vs. stock on right:

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/12832/2195079140053667879S600x600Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/43921/2418172770053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

We have relegated the LCR's to home defense (laser comes in handy here) and use our Airweights for carry.

Dan

stinger 327
April 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
My wife and I both have new LCR's with CT laser grips on them. Neither of us prefer this to our Airweights for one reason - the grip.

On our Airweights I installed grips that included an extension for our pinky plus a rubber backstrap for comfort during shooting. This has made these far more comfortable than the hard CT grips on the LCR. Unfortunately, grip changes cannot be done and retain the CT laser.

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/12832/2195079140053667879S600x600Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/43921/2418172770053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

We have relegated the LCR's to home defense (laser comes in handy here) and use our Airweights for carry.

Dan
There is also the S & W Bodyguard but I didn't like the placement of the laser and the location of the cylinder release latch on top. Other than that trigger pull and grip on that gun felt good and it cost alot less than LCR.

bergmen
April 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
There is also the S & W Bodyguard but I didn't like the placement of the laser and the location of the cylinder release latch on top. Other than that trigger pull and grip on that gun felt good and it cost alot less than LCR.
The Bodyguard came out just after we bought our pair of LCR's. I immediately disqualified it based on the completely non-intuitive position of the cylinder release. What the heck were they thinking?

Dan

SKILCZ
April 26, 2011, 10:20 PM
The CT LaserGrips were on the gun when I bought it. I like them. The size is great, and they have a master on/off switch at the bottom of the grip (which is nice if you don't want to accidentally drain the battery faster). Adjusting the laser is extremely simple. You just use a tool that comes with the laser grips. It's basically a little Allen wrench. There are two screws you adjust, one for windage and one for elevation. I highly recommend the CT LaserGrips on the LCR.

snooperman
April 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
this type of gun. I just point and shoot at about 3-6 yards only, at a man size target at different angles. I wish there were more options on grips, as the ones on it are to big and bulky for me.

stinger 327
April 27, 2011, 12:56 PM
The CT LaserGrips were on the gun when I bought it. I like them. The size is great, and they have a master on/off switch at the bottom of the grip (which is nice if you don't want to accidentally drain the battery faster). Adjusting the laser is extremely simple. You just use a tool that comes with the laser grips. It's basically a little Allen wrench. There are two screws you adjust, one for windage and one for elevation. I highly recommend the CT LaserGrips on the LCR.
How accurate is the LCR with the Crimson Laser grip? Up to what range/feet?

stinger 327
April 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
this type of gun. I just point and shoot at about 3-6 yards only, at a man size target at different angles. I wish there were more options on grips, as the ones on it are to big and bulky for me.
This is more realistic of what will happen if this gun is used for its intended purpose as most shootings you don't get a chance to aim but rather end up pointing so in this scenario none of t hese sights would really make a difference.
But when shooting it on the range having that extra option of better sights will help hit the bullseye.

Madcap_Magician
April 27, 2011, 02:26 PM
I have the XS standard sight and the boot grip. Boot grip is OK, but like any snubbie, the recoil is painful starting around round 15 or 20. I can do a couple cylinders no problem, though.

bergmen
April 27, 2011, 02:52 PM
How accurate is the LCR with the Crimson Laser grip? Up to what range/feet?
We found ours to be extremely accurate (punches holes right where the light dot used to be). We shoot out to about 7 yards for our defensive practice with the LCR's.

It was odd for us in the beginning since we experienced a "sighting conflict" when we lined up in a normal Weaver stance. We could not initially discriminate between the light dot and the sights on the gun, confusing. We adopted a different stance when using the laser to hold below the sight line and look at the dot on the target. This was difficult to do at first since it went against all we were trained to do in our classes.

We have practiced quite a bit since and are comfortable in deploying the two techniques but this is a factor when using lasers.

Another interesting aspect of using laser sights is they are an excellent shooting technique aid. If one has bad trigger release habits (like jerking the trigger or "punching" in anticipation, the laser will point this out in spades. The light shows exactly where the gun is pointing at the instant of hammer fall. It worked perfectly in showing why my wife misses the target a lot of the times during practice.

Dan

CZF
April 28, 2011, 03:03 AM
Wonderful!!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/hnn3.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/DT-Med.jpg

stinger 327
April 28, 2011, 03:08 AM
Wonderful!!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/hnn3.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/DT-Med.jpg'''

Is that the pocket holster for the LCR?
It looks like you have some kind of sleeve over the boot grip. Does it really help? Does the XS sight really help?

Old John
April 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm very happy with mine.
I've carried an SP101, .357 for about 8 years as my belt gun. The LCR is great for a pocket gun. I love the trigger on the LCR.
I tried the trigger on Taurus UL85, lightweight. And I tried the Airweight J-frames.
I like the trigger lots better on the LCR. It's a great little carry gun.

stinger 327
April 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm very happy with mine.
I've carried an SP101, .357 for about 8 years as my belt gun. The LCR is great for a pocket gun. I love the trigger on the LCR.
I tried the trigger on Taurus UL85, lightweight. And I tried the Airweight J-frames.
I like the trigger lots better on the LCR. It's a great little carry gun.
I also have a Lipsey Distributor limited SP-101 .357. I love this gun. But I do like the trigger pull on the .38 LCR +P.

fatcpa
May 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
I bought the 357 magnum version of the LCR about a month ago. I installed an XS front sight on the gun soon after I bought it. My gun has the Hogue grips on it which does a good job of handling the 357 recoil. I have owned a S&W 442 and a Taurus 85 Ultralite in the past and I like the Ruger better than either of those guns. At this point, I am very satified with the LCR.

CZF
May 3, 2011, 05:14 PM
The Hogue handall jr. grips sleeve gives me a bigger grip, and does help with recoil to some degree.

Novak mega-dot tritium sight is nice for close up work on targets.

Pocket holster is the High Noon pocket grabber model.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/hnn7.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Pocket_Grabber/_pocket_grabber.html

I use them in both cowhide and horsehide. Both materials work great!
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/lcrhnpockets.jpg

www.highnoonholsters.com

stinger 327
May 4, 2011, 01:06 AM
I have the XS standard sight and the boot grip. Boot grip is OK, but like any snubbie, the recoil is painful starting around round 15 or 20. I can do a couple cylinders no problem, though.
I will get the LCR .38 with the XS sights first then later on probably add the Crimson laser grips then I have two different sights.

beachnutjim
May 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
Doesn't that grip "band" affect the CT switch?

Markus
May 14, 2011, 07:15 PM
It ain't pretty but it's light and accurate. DA trigger is fantastic
I was shooting at a detergent bottle last week and hit it 5 out of 5 times a 25 yards. Mine it plain Jane and will stay that way.

dallascj
May 15, 2011, 02:57 AM
I had one and really liked it, but sold it because the grip just made it too uncomfortable for me to pocket carry. The thickness across the backstrap really dug into my hip while sitting. I have 3 j frames and a Taurus M85 that ride in my pocket more comfortably.
On the plus side, it had the best trigger of any DA Ruger I have ever shot, and I really liked the uniqueness of its looks. It was very accurate and controllable. I don't think you can go wrong either way. The pocket carry thing is purely a personal preference.

TimeIsRunninOut
May 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
I got both a LCR and 642, had a 442 (regrettably sold it). The trigger is great on the LCR, but I don't care much for the Hogue grips that come stock, otherwise I shoot both equally in accuracy.

MikePaiN
May 15, 2011, 10:18 AM
I just picked up my (new too me) LCR yesterday....Now that I have it home, I'm very impressed with the Revolver. Its so easy to carry, its ridiculous ;) I plan to add an XS or Meprolite FS if I like shooting the LCR...which I'll be doing in a few hours.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Ruger%20LCR/DSC03456.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Ruger%20LCR/DSC03457.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Ruger%20LCR/DSC03458.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Ruger%20LCR/DSC03459.jpg

crafter32034
May 15, 2011, 09:00 PM
We are a 2 LCR family.
Mrs. Crafter has the LCR .38+p with HI Viz front sight

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/crafter32034/DSC00131.jpg

Mine is the LCR .357 with HiViz front sight .

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/crafter32034/DSC00126-2.jpg

hapidogbreath
June 15, 2011, 04:47 PM
Looking for a home for my LCR. It would like to ride strong side like his friend Sig239 in a paddle holster with a finger brake type retention device like the one on a Blackhawk. Blackhawk doesn't make one that I know of. Any help would be great.

bikemutt
June 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
Looking for a home for my LCR. It would like to ride strong side like his friend Sig239 in a paddle holster with a finger brake type retention device like the one on a Blackhawk. Blackhawk doesn't make one that I know of. Any help would be great.
Fobus has a lineup of holsters that work for both the LCR and the SP101. I'm partial to pancake style holsters, really like the Fobus. It is passive retention if that matters.

hapidogbreath
June 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
bikemutt,

I had a pancake for a long time and loved it also but I now work in a nicer area and am trying to keep things a little higher ( pancake was for my 220 and rode low). The BH holster I have for the 239 is great but with the warmer weather here I am now taking the Ruger more and am hoping to find similar due to me not needing to have such a long shirt to cover it.:)

stinger 327
June 16, 2011, 12:44 AM
I got both a LCR and 642, had a 442 (regrettably sold it). The trigger is great on the LCR, but I don't care much for the Hogue grips that come stock, otherwise I shoot both equally in accuracy.
The grips on the LCR can easily be changed. Before getting a LCR I did check out the Smith's 442, The Bodyguard, the .357 snub which is exactly the same as the smaller .38 Smith's in size. I can't remember the numbers of all the Smith models I looked at but they were all just too expensive with the exception of the Bodyguard but I didn't like the laser that comes on the bodyguard or the cylinder latch location.

stinger 327
June 16, 2011, 12:46 AM
bikemutt,

I had a pancake for a long time and loved it also but I now work in a nicer area and am trying to keep things a little higher ( pancake was for my 220 and rode low). The BH holster I have for the 239 is great but with the warmer weather here I am now taking the Ruger more and am hoping to find similar due to me not needing to have such a long shirt to cover it.:)
There is a pocket holster for the LCR.

stinger 327
June 16, 2011, 12:48 AM

Dan
Again the grips on tHe LCR are easy to change. The Smith's just cost too much now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you happy with your Ruger LCR .38 +P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!