PDA

grant1265
April 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
I was talking to my friend today and he was saying that he was going to go shoot his dad's old .441 revolver. I was just wondering if such a caliber even exists(maybe its a .44 special or magnum?). I assume its a revolver that hes shooting. BTW- he doesn't know too much about firearms and shooting in general(He calls Sig Sauer "Sig Sawyer").

If you enjoyed reading about ".441" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry E
April 22, 2011, 09:58 PM
Since .44's have had bores around .429, I'm not sure what it is that he might be shooting. Maybe it's a .44 Mag or a .44 Special.

mnrivrat
April 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
Perhaps he was refering to the model as Taurus has a Model 441 which is a .44 Special.

Not sure whether I would call it old however.

Another possible is the old Herters 401 powermag ?

weregunner
April 23, 2011, 10:52 PM
I agree that it could well be a Taurus 5 shot model 441 in .44 Special.

And old depends on the point of view.These were first made from 1991 and went until 1997.

A.) It is a revolver and some people look at revolvers as old school and since this is 2011 it has been awhile since 441s have been built.

B.) There are some who came up on only pistols and know only them.

No problem either way.

Taurus built 431s with fixed sights and 3" or 4" barrels. Blued or stainless models.

Taurus 441's came with adjustable sights, in the same barrel lengths as the 431s and could be blue or stainless. There were a few with 6 inch barrels as well.

CraigC
April 24, 2011, 12:03 PM
There is no .441 cartridge that I know of. Could be anything. Depending on his idea of "old", it could be an old Colt Army Special .41Colt, or it could be something 29yrs old. Or any of the .44's. Maybe even the .414SuperMag, although not likely.

Manco
April 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
I've heard of a very obscure .441 Webley caliber, so you might want to look into the history of the company. It seems kind of unlikely (especially if your friend is going to shoot it), but you never know. There is also a somewhat less obscure .442 Webley caliber used by the Webley RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) double-action revolvers (by the way, George Custer owned a pair of these, and likely carried at least one of them to his death at the Little Bighorn, although this is disputed).

If you enjoyed reading about ".441" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!