Heavy or lighter loads on python?

PDA

ms6852
April 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
Anyone here knows if the colt python can handle the same heavy loads that the smith and wesson 686 can in .357 or should I stick to 38 + P ammo for my test?

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy or lighter loads on python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
It the time Pythons were being made, .357 Mag ammo was rated at higher pressure & velocity then it is today.
It was considered a pretty strong .357 Magnum then, and it still is today, so there is absolutely no reason they will not take continous .357 mag shooting.

However, just like any handgun, including the S&W 686, it will stay tight and last much longer if you only shoot .38 Special mid-range match wad-cutters in it.

SO, it's entirely up to you.

rc

788Ham
April 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
I personally won't shoot any 110 gr or 125 gr. laser speed ammo in my Python, too much pressure and blast. Like rc said, some of the earlier ammo had a higher pressure and velocity, I just won't use this in mine. The Python's not being made any longer, this being my reason! YMMV

ColtPythonElite
April 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
I load a lot of mid-level 125 gr. HP's. I don't shy away from shooting them thru my shooter Pythons whenever I feel like it.

I certainly wouldn't worry about feeding your new gun a few cylinders full of magnum ammo for your test, even if you don't decide to feed it a steady diet later down the road.

Drail
April 24, 2011, 06:46 PM
The key word here is "continuous". Occasional use is not a problem but heavy use of flame thrower loads will shorten the useful life of any brand. Even a Ruger.

earplug
April 24, 2011, 08:45 PM
As with any firearm the more you shoot hot loads the faster it will degrade.
Only issue I ever had was shooting lead bullets at high velocity.
My three Pythons had a tight .356 barrel and my all my S&W barrels were larger .357 if I recall. The S&W handle lead hand loads better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy or lighter loads on python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!