Am I being a Jerk?

PDA

BENBRU
April 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
SO I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 that I'm thinking about getting rid of. I also have a "buddy" that I've known since high school. He's asked me many times if he could buy it off of me. He's not foreign to firearms, and is just starting to become an enthusiast. So I say sure, why not, and off to the range we go. I brought my AR and my 229 to keep me busy while he did his thing with the Glock.

All goes well, he's bugging me to buy it. I just keep telling him I'm not 100% sure I want rid of it. So we get back to my house, I crack open a beer, and pull out my cleaning stuff to clean my AR and my 229. Anyway, he sits down, cracks a beer and just hangs out.

I think to myself, "cool, he's just taking a minute before he cleans." Around 30-40minutes later he looks at me and goes "Did you want me to clean the Glock?" I told him "Yeah, it was clean when you took it out today. I'd appreciate it if it was clean the next time I want to shoot it." And he goes off about how it was only 100rds and it couldn't even be that dirty after 100 rounds. He eventually picks it up, takes it apart, sprays some CLP on a brush scrubs it real quick wipes it down, and is done in 10-15minutes.

I decided not to say anything but I'm not sure I want to take this guy shooting anymore, let alone sell him the glock if I do decide to.

Am I just being a jerk? One sided? I thought it would be assumed that he should clean it if he fired it....

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I being a Jerk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Water-Man
April 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
10-15 min. is enough time to clean a pistol with 100 rounds through it, if done properly.

Rail Driver
April 24, 2011, 04:47 PM
I don't know... On the one hand, he shot your gun and should clean it.... On the other hand it's a Glock... Who cleans those?

If you're really that particular about having your guns cleaned each and every time you shoot them, perhaps you should see to it yourself so that you can be sure it's done to your standards? I could understand if it were perhaps a BP firearm, or a high dollar race gun, or a particularly long range session, but I don't see getting upset over 100 rds of fouling in a glock.

breacher
April 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
how long does it take you to clean a Glock? I'm with you on him cleaning it if he shot it though. I'm not that anal on cleaning though. maybe every 500 rds or several range trips for a Glock.

merlinfire
April 24, 2011, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure I get it. Were you upset because he had opportunity to clean and didn't before you mentioned it, or that he took only 15 minutes to clean it?

BENBRU
April 24, 2011, 04:56 PM
I didn't mention that upon checking the glock I'm not sure he ever tried to clean any of the CLP out of it, nor am I sure he ever ran a brush through the barrel... 10-15minute should have been ample time to do it right.

I guess I am particular about the way my guns are cleaned.... must be something I learned in the Marine Corps

I guess my real issue here is that I had to hear him complain about cleaning it... Like it was unreasonable for me to say he should clean it in the first place.... then to only clean it half way...

Every now and then my dad will let me shoot his S&W 500 mag... and I only shoot maybe 30rds but I still sit down and clean it after I shoot it. It's not a question to me

rellascout
April 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
JERK.... LOL just kidding.

He shot your gun and therefore should have offered to clean it. 15 is more than enough time to properly clean a Glock after 100 rounds.

towboat_er
April 24, 2011, 05:01 PM
could be that everyone dont clean as often, or as well as you.
If I expected someone to clean my gun after shooting, I'd probably tell them beforehand. ( I don't mind ya shooting it, as long as ya clean it afterwards. )

ny32182
April 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
We all have our own individual cleaning habits; personally I prefer to clean my own. I can't say I've ever expected someone to clean my gun after firing it, nor have I ever cleaned anyone else's gun after firing it.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
Personally, I would not want someone else "thoroughly" cleaning my guns, any of them, even my H&R Topper Single-Shot .410 (which I meticulously refinished the stock on the first three days I owned it)!

I don't want to look at some scratch someone put on my gun because they were in a hurry or in a bad mood or angry with me, or for any reason as far as that goes!:fire:

mnrivrat
April 24, 2011, 05:05 PM
And some folks would have gotten upset that their friend took their gun apart for cleaning without their permission. :cuss:

Guy - lighten up ! JMO

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:06 PM
and some folks would have gotten upset that their friend took their gun apart for cleaning without their permission. :cuss:

Guy - lighten up ! Jmo
Exactly.

jimmyraythomason
April 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
I don't want anyone tuning up my truack after they drive it. They may not know what they're doing.

KimberUltra
April 24, 2011, 05:10 PM
If he used it than clean it. Unless I'm told not to bother it's common courtesy to clean up a mess I made.

I don't get as anal with cleaning my guns as my friend. If I fired one shot through it he would be bugging me to make sure I clean it. He will sit there for an hour and run patches through the barrel until every tiny spec is out of the barrel and the patch is cleaner than it was when he took it out of the box. He's the same way about his car. Washes it every time he is done driving. No lie.

But aside of my short story, I know how he is, so if I touch something of his I make sure to clean it after.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:11 PM
Actually, I would rather that the gun stay dirty than have someone else clean my gun! Now, if I were selling it to the guy and he had the money on the table, he can clean away, as it is now HIS GUN, NOT MINE!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:12 PM
If he used it than clean it. Unless I'm told not to bother it's common courtesy to clean up a mess I made.

I don't get as anal with cleaning my guns as my friend. If I fired one shot through it he would be bugging me to make sure I clean it. He will sit there for an hour and run patches through the barrel until every tiny spec is out of the barrel and the patch is cleaner than it was when he took it out of the box. He's the same way about his car. Washes it every time he is done driving. No lie.

But aside of my short story, I know how he is, so if I touch something of his I make sure to clean it after.
Suppose in helping your friend, you accidentally drop the Kimber Ultra barrel onto the concrete patio floor.

Tomcat47
April 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
"Lighten Up Francis".....:D

Just Kiddin.......Maybe a little too strict on cleaning!

HOWEVER!

I would never shoot someone elses gun and not clean it up afterward....even if it were 2 rounds....its NOT mine! It was clean when I got it, It should be clean when handed back!

I was raised that way.... my grandfather lived next door .... garden between the houses and if we borrowed his mower, tiller, etc.....it was washed off and put back in shed with full tank of gas!

Its Called respect I suppose and to me in regards to guns it is ettiquette!

wrs840
April 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hmm...

I prefer to clean my guns myself.

BENBRU
April 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
I guess I am being a jerk. Oh well, isn't the first time, definitely won't be the last. No one else would be mad that he shot it then he complained about having to clean it, and then does a half asked job of cleaning it?

I guess the courtesy of cleaning something you used is gone... At least ask, and be sincere when you offer to clean it... Hell I stayed in a buddy's ski shack for one night, I asked him if he wanted it cleaned, when he said yes I didn't say "But it was just one night"... nor did I only make the bed and then leave dishes in the sink...

Friendly, Don't Fire!
"Lighten Up Francis".....:D

Just Kiddin.......Maybe a little too strict on cleaning!

HOWEVER!

I would never shoot someone elses gun and not clean it up afterward....even if it were 2 rounds....its NOT mine! It was clean when I got it, It should be clean when handed back!

I was raised that way.... my grandfather lived next door .... garden between the houses and if we borrowed his mower, tiller, etc.....it was washed off and put back in shed with full tank of gas!

I agree 100% about everything except the part that says we are discussing GUNS. I would not let anyone touch my truck or car engine, I don't trust ANYONE with my guns, NO ONE! If I borrowed a shovel, I would clean it. If my friend's brakes on his car are acting up, I am not going to offer to repair his brakes. If his mower keeps stalling, I am not going to repair it. If I borrow something it is always returned better than when I borrowed it, however I would never take someone's gun completely apart, some people would freak out if they saw how far I could strip a gun, ANY GUN!

jimmyraythomason
Only if it is clearly understood by everyone involved beforehand that the owner has no problem with someone else breaking down their property. Otherwise it is taking a liberty which may NOT be granted.

buck460XVR
April 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
We all have our own individual cleaning habits; personally I prefer to clean my own. I can't say I've ever expected someone to clean my gun after firing it, nor have I ever cleaned anyone else's gun after firing it.

Personally, I would not want someone else "thoroughly" cleaning my guns, any of them, even my H&R Topper Single-Shot .410 (which I meticulously refinished the stock on the first three days I owned it)!

I don't want to look at some scratch someone put on my gun because they were in a hurry or in a bad mood or angry with me, or for any reason as far as that goes!:fire:

Kinda the camp I'm in. I take friends to the range all the time. Some reciprocate and let me fire their firearms, some friends don't have any to reciprocate with. I've never asked any of them to clean my guns nor have they asked me. If they ride with me to the range, I don't ask them to wash my truck either.

MrWesson
April 24, 2011, 05:21 PM
If he cleaned my gun then what am I going to do later that day.

I enjoy cleaning my guns and never ask anyone to clean them when they go shooting with me. I also wouldn't clean my gun after 100rds especially a glock.

KimberUltra
April 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
Suppose in helping your friend, you accidentally drop the Kimber Ultra barrel onto the concrete patio floor.

Then I would give him the barrel out my my kimber ultra and replace the barrel if it's damaged. haha.

P.S. How the hell do you quote a post on this site? haha

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
I shot my AR about a year ago, probably one or two hundred rounds. In the past (1980's), that day I would have been home and the entire gun would be broken down, detailing every little spring.

Anymore, I could be dead tomorrow. Someone else will get my guns. The first thing they might want to do is be sure my guns are clean!

The only EXCEPTION to my laziness about cleaning guns anymore is my Black Powder Rifle. That gun, I clean, extremely thoroughly after muzzleloading season, as I know what that powder can do (even if I don't fire it).

In my older age, I have to really be in the mood to clean my guns, and I have priorities that could fill two pages, single-spaced, of things that I should do around here but they just get let go as I have been out of work for over a year. I do what I can and don't worry too much anymore if it all doesn't get done today, this week, this month, this year, this decade or this lifetime. My body has problems, I am hurting many days. Many days I am fortunate to make it out of bed and dressed.

onfloat
April 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm with you. If you fire it, you clean it. Then again it may be the jarhead in me too.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
Then I would give him the barrel out my my kimber ultra and replace the barrel if it's damaged. haha.

You click on the little balloon shaped thing in the toolbar. Then you delete any writing that does not relate to what you want to respond to.

hardluk1
April 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
I don't expect anyone but me to clean my own guns. And I darn well can clean my glock if all the suppies are allready out in 5 minutes ,no problem. And about sell'n your glock you should have made your mind up before ever say'n anything to any body. sell him the glock and then it his problems. Without your directions as to how to clean your pistol he more than likely would have done something wrong to get you upset any how.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:32 PM

You can also click in the little "Quick-Reply" blue icon in the lower-right and then check "quote message in reply" checkbox when the simplified posting box pops up.

THe Dove
April 24, 2011, 05:33 PM
I let my friends shoot my firearms but I do not want or let them anyone clean or break them down..... That is for me to do so I can inspect them and ensure they are to my personal liking.

The Dove

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:34 PM
I don'y excect anyone but me to clean my own guns. And I darn well can clean my glock if all the suppies are allready out in 5 minutes no problem. And about sell'n your glock you should have made your mind up before ever say'n anything to any body. sell him the glock and then it his problems. Without your directions as to how to clean your pistol he more than likely would have done something wrong to get you upset any how.
I agree completely.
It seems we have two camps here, which is OK, that is why they make chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and about 101 other different flavors!

Hey, at least we only have one little discussion going and not one hundred and one!
LOL!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:37 PM
I think the confusion was based on your not really being sure whether you want to sell your Glock or you don't.:o:D:confused::uhoh::eek::banghead::cuss::fire:

jimmyraythomason
April 24, 2011, 05:38 PM
It seems we have two camps here Both camps are in agreement that we are happy for others to SHOOT our guns!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:40 PM
Both camps are in agreement that we are happy for others to SHOOT our guns!
Amen to that!
Sheesh, in some countries we wouldn't even say the word gun let alone own one or even shoot one!

kingpin008
April 24, 2011, 05:40 PM
While I think it was a bit classless to complain about having to clean it after you asked him to, you should have made it clear beforehand that you expected him to clean it after he tried it out.

In any case, I wouldn't let this incident color your decision to sell him the gun or not. Most people won't bother to clean a gun for a measly 100 rounds - expecially not a tough, knock-around gun like a Glock. If he had done something dangerous at the range or while breaking the gun down, then that may be worth reconsidering. But this, nope.

M-Cameron
April 24, 2011, 05:41 PM
eh........i know personally......i dont like other people fiddling around with my guns.....now that i think of it.....there is really only one other person i know( who isnt a gunsmith) who i would hand my rifle to to take apart........

and i dont know about you.......but cleaning after 100 rounds seems a bit OCD......

if you really wanted him to clean the gun, while you were setting yours up to clean, you could have just asked him if hed mind giving it a quick cleaning......

as for the time spent.........i dont know about you.....but unless the gun has some puzzle you need to solve to assemble/ disassemble it.........i can fully clean a gun in maybe 10-15 min.

now are you a jerk......eh.....no............you two are just victims of miscommunication.

now if you really wanted to avoid this whole thing......you should have sold him the gun after he shot it.......then you would have a nice stack of cash and no longer have to worry about cleaning the gun:D

JohnBiltz
April 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
Two different cultures, in the military cleaning someone's rifle gets done all the time. They may be gone and an inspections coming up or you may be coming out of the field and no one goes home until all the weapons are cleaned and turned in and he got pulled for some detail. In the military a rifle is just a rifle. You take someone's rifle out and shoot it you better clean it when you bring it back. With most civilians their guns are like their toothbrush they don't want people messing with it.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
I think this could be looked at in so many ways that the previous posts really nail it and that adds up to one word: miscommunication!

It is nothing to be angry over, nothing to hold a grudge over, should be nothing concerning your opinion of whether to sell him the gun or not, and something we can all just put behind us and learn from it to be a little more up-front with our expectations of people.:)

cyanide66
April 24, 2011, 05:50 PM
The fact that you asked him to clean it and he didn't want to is pretty lame on his part. I have never asked my friends to clean my guns after we go out for a day of shooting, but they aren't gun guys, they don't own a gun, so they wouldn't really know how to clean it properly. the fact that your buddy isn't new to guns and still put up a fit about cleaning it is BS. he should think of it as his rental fee for using your gun.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:50 PM
Two different cultures, in the military cleaning someone's rifle gets done all the time. They may be gone and an inspections coming up or you may be coming out of the field and no one goes home until all the weapons are cleaned and turned in and he got pulled for some detail. In the military a rifle is just a rifle. You take someone's rifle out and shoot it you better clean it when you bring it back. With most civilians their guns are like their toothbrush they don't want people messing with it.
Exactly.
In the military, a gun is a tool, just like borrowing a shovel from your neighbor. I would NEVER return a shovel more dirty than when I borrowed it, most times the person would not even recognize it was their shovel I am returning as I would scrub every speck of dirt off with my car buffing machine with a wire brush on it.

Tomcat47
April 24, 2011, 05:51 PM
BENBRU...... My comment really was joke!

You were not being a jerk to me .... To me with Ettiquette in mind...it was cleaning time! He should have jumped right in to do the job at hand!

Regardless of rounds fired - It was obviously cleaning time....and his response as stated was of disdain about the task at hand.....therefore it would have been a little disappointing and the idea to sell it to him would have went out the window at that moment.

I agree 100% about everything except the part that says we are discussing GUNS...... ? K :confused:

I did Not intend on bringing cars, mowers, tillers, or shovels into it?? My Bad!...the point was.....

Respect and Ettiquette!

And you know if someone wants to help clean my guns and does not know how I always ask...you ever took one of those apart????? If not ... here let me show you how!

scythefwd
April 24, 2011, 05:51 PM
some people store their guns wet.
he may be one of the.
he may have thought the gun was clean... Either out of ignorance, indifference, or it may just be a difference of standards. If you haven't clearly and concisely explained your standards... The yes it is a bit jerkish to hold him to those same standards. If your standards were clearly stated, then it isn't jerkish.

either way, complaining about cleaning a gun of someone elses that you have borowed is a bit assinine.... It's up to you how you react. Not selling him the gun cause he doesn't know how to clean it to your standards is a bit like giving out NJP without ever making the Marine had been trained propwrly.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
The fact that you asked him to clean it and he didn't want to is pretty lame on his part. I have never asked my friends to clean my guns after we go out for a day of shooting, but they aren't gun guys, they don't own a gun, so they wouldn't really know how to clean it properly. the fact that your buddy isn't new to guns and still put up a fit about cleaning it is BS. he should think of it as his rental fee for using your gun.
I can fully understand that point of view as well!

redneck2
April 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
Since you asked....

Had a room mate one time that shot my Springfield 45 while I was gone. No biggie, as he was pretty big into guns also. Wanted to be a "good guy" and clean it. Problem was, he didn't have any solvent so he used brake cleaner. Stripped all the color out of the grips.

Another time he swung my Remington 7400 around and put a gouge in the stock.

I would never expect someone else to clean my guns. In fact, I typically don't want them to. We have people over to the house for dinner and I don't expect them to wash the dishes

Most guys grind the cleaning rod against the rifling in the barrel. That does more damage than being dirty, particularly if it's an aluminum rod. I've thrown out all my aluminum and brass cleaning rods. Look at most any well used mil-surp. The crown will be egg shaped from too much cleaning.

And, IMO you are being a jerk about selling the Glock. If you want to sell it, don't jerk him around. If you're gonna sell it, sell it. I get totally PO'd when somebody says they're going to buy or sell something then fiddle around.

Tomcat47
April 24, 2011, 05:58 PM
^^ Good Point ^^

In terms of Ettiquette...I dont even say "Im thinking about selling" something...If I say those words ... It is for sale!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
Since you asked....
And, IMO you are being a jerk about selling the Glock. If you want to sell it, don't jerk him around. If you're gonna sell it, sell it.

I get totally PO'd when somebody says they're going to buy or sell something then fiddle around.

I do as well.
Someone I know is exactly the same way.

It is like he is feeling me out as to whether I want the gun. The more I want it, the less he wants to sell it and thinks it is a better idea to keep it for himself.

In my opinion, whenever that happens, I find that it is almost like greed (look what I have but YOU DON'T HAVE)!:evil::fire::cuss::banghead::uhoh::barf::neener:

9mmepiphany
April 24, 2011, 06:08 PM
Two things I've found that are usually taken for granted, that when thought out before hand will avoid hard feelings.

Unspoken Expectations - If you want someone to clean your gun after shooting, or you don't, you should tell them before hand so that you are both on the same page to start with. It sounds like he didn't think it was needed and didn't know that you expected it. He should have asked, did you want me to clean it after, but it might not have occurred to him if you didn't prefaced it (before letting him shoot it) with, "you can shoot it, butu you'll have to clean it"

Different expectations - If you want something done a certain way, you have to explain it in detail. It is unreasonable to expect someone to clean exactly as you expect them to...unless you both have the same training and standards of cleaniness...as they likely don't know how you usually do it. A good why to approach this is, "Would you like me to show you how I want it done?"

I've shot several guns belonging to other people who refused my offer to clean them...just because they are gracious people. I'll loan out guns for people to try without the expectation that it will be returned cleaned...when it is, it is a pleasant surprise.

I don't think you are being a jerk, but I think you have unreasonable expectations that people would meet your unspoken expectations. I think your friend was less than gracious to complain. Of course, I don't think it takes more than 10 minutes to clean a Glock either...If you have an air compressor, you can do it in less than 3

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 06:12 PM
Two things I've found that are usually taken for granted, that when thought out before hand will avoid hard feelings.

Unspoken Expectations - If you want someone to clean your gun after shooting, or you don't, you should tell them before hand so that you are both on the same page to start with. It sounds like he didn't think it was needed and didn't know that you expected it. He should have asked, did you want me to clean it after, but it might not have occurred to him if you didn't prefaced it (before letting him shoot it) with, "you can shoot it, butu you'll have to clean it"

Different expectations - If you want something done a certain way, you have to explain it in detail. It is unreasonable to expect someone to clean exactly as you expect them to...unless you both have the same training and standards of cleaniness...as they likely don't know how you usually do it. A good why to approach this is, "Would you like me to show you how I want it done?"

I've shot several guns belonging to other people who refused my offer to clean them...just because they are gracious people. I'll loan out guns for people to try without the expectation that it will be returned cleaned...when it is, it is a pleasant surprise.

I don't think you are being a jerk, but I think you have unreasonable expectations that people would meet your unspoken expectations. I think your friend was less than gracious to complain. Of course, I don't think it takes more than 10 minutes to clean a Glock either...If you have an air compressor, you can do it in less than 3
That really sums it up very nicely, I feel.
The key is communication, as it is in all of our dealings with others, from our spouse to our brother, sister, parents, children, boss, neighbors, fellow vehicles on the road, etc.

A bit of sharing our expectations can go a long way!

DeepSouth
April 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a mole hill to me.

I can't imagine caring weather he cleaned it or not, if he just started cleaning it......that would be fine with me. If he just handed it back to me......well, that would be fine to. I guess as far as problems in life go that is one I just wouldn't give a crap about, I save my "give a crap" for bigger deals.

jscott
April 24, 2011, 06:35 PM
So we get back to my house, I crack open a beer, and pull out my cleaning stuff to clean my AR and my 229. Anyway, he sits down, cracks a beer and just hangs out.

Post #50 and I'm the first person to be concerned by this? Wow.

Just got back from shooting, drink a beer, and clean some guns. Accident waiting to happen. Yea, I know, one beer, but jeez. Guns and beer don't mix.

As far as who cleans the guns, I don't think it really matters. I've cleaned plenty of guns that I haven't shot.

M-Cameron
April 24, 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #50 and I'm the first person to be concerned by this? Wow.

Just got back from shooting, drink a beer, and clean some guns. Accident waiting to happen. Yea, I know, one beer, but jeez. Guns and beer don't mix.

As far as who cleans the guns, I don't think it really matters. I've cleaned plenty of guns that I haven't shot.

eh.....if he had said, " we cracked open a beer, then went shooting"....then i would be concerned......

but dealing with unloaded firearms.....and 1 beer......i dont think is anything to be alarmed about.

...i mean, drinking and driving is bad......but no one would raise an eyebrow if he said..." we cracked open a few beers and washed my car"

PlateStacker
April 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
It's the Military thing. When I was in, they'd make us clean our damn weapons (even CONUS - not even fired since last cleaning) for almost an hour! If we got done cleaning them, we'd have to take them back apart and clean them again.. it was beyond stupid. We'd be cleaning brand new weapons that have been cleaned every other day, and havent been shot in weeks, just carried around!

dprice3844444
April 24, 2011, 06:49 PM
i just disassemble my glock and pop it in the dishwasher

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
It's the Military thing. When I was in, they'd make us clean our damn weapons (even CONUS - not even fired since last cleaning) for almost an hour! If we got done cleaning them, we'd have to take them back apart and clean them again.. it was beyond stupid. We'd be cleaning brand new weapons that have been cleaned every other day, and havent been shot in weeks, just carried around!
Well, they could have had you move a pile of dirt from point A to point B then back to point A - just for the giggles of it all. Or, they could put you to work on something that is important.

BENBRU
April 24, 2011, 07:01 PM
In terms of Ettiquette...I dont even say "Im thinking about selling" something...If I say those words ... It is for sale!

Yeah... it is for sale... We're just about $100 different on price... he wants just the gun... I want to get rid of all the crap I have for it. I've been thinking about selling him the gun for his price. My fault for not explaining that.

And as far as guns and beer go... cleaning guns and drinking beer is a long standing tradition. Sorry but one beer is acceptable at dinner it's acceptable to have a beer while scrubbing out a gun. The law says that drunk with gun is a BAC of .08... I think that's too high but having a beer while cleaning a gun is just plain American. Now if I was getting the old Easter Kegg tapped and flowing while cleaning I too would have an issue. Add in the fact that all ammo is locked in the garage as soon as I unload the truck, and that anyone that goes shooting knows that... Risks are mitigated but always present

I'm still of the opinion that you shoot it, you clean it, at least ask if I want it cleaned. If you don't know how to clean it you ask...

As for being a gun unique issue I say bunk to that. I know guys that treasure their lawns more than anything in the world and expect their lawn mower to be cleaned if it gets borrowed... I expect my gun to get cleaned if you borrow it... especially when it's obvious that it's cleaning time...

Oh well... like I said before... it's not the first time nor the last time I'll be a jerk. My give a crap scale on this one is low... it just has consequences, like not letting him borrow stuff because I'm not sure how I'll get it back.

Nushif
April 24, 2011, 07:09 PM
Without your directions as to how to clean your pistol he more than likely would have done something wrong to get you upset any how.

Kinda this ... I think you just don't like people touching your toys. 8)

M-Cameron
April 24, 2011, 07:11 PM
As for being a gun unique issue I say bunk to that. I know guys that treasure their lawns more than anything in the world and expect their lawn mower to be cleaned if it gets borrowed... I expect my gun to get cleaned if you borrow it... especially when it's obvious that it's cleaning time...

Oh well... like I said before... it's not the first time nor the last time I'll be a jerk. My give a crap scale on this one is low... it just has consequences, like not letting him borrow stuff because I'm not sure how I'll get it back.

did you actually tell your friend that you wanted him to clean the gun before this incident.....or did you just assume he knew you wanted him to clean it?

because if you just assumed.....then you really have no right to be upset with him.

dbro822
April 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
IMHO, it is the fee for helping a friend into a great pass time, now if he had shot the dog snot out of it he should at least offer.

MtnSpur
April 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah... it is for sale... We're just about $100 different on price... he wants just the gun... I want to get rid of all the crap I have for it.

I'll give ya $50 for the Glock and $25 for the stuff that goes with it and don't care if it's filthy I just need a new doorstop :neener:

Shame on me :cuss:

clutch
April 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
I don't want anyone cleaning my guns. Now if they offer, I'll give them points to the good as far as how I think about them. I'll also decline their offer politely. Actually, I've never had anyone offer to clean my guns after they shot them but then they were my guest each time.

The post did remind me to clean the M&P compact I shot today. I see I'm getting some leading. Note to self, buy some jacketed bullets so I can de-lead the easy way.

I'll do the AR tomorrow, gotta have something to do while watching the evening news while dinner is cooking.

Clutch

Wishoot
April 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
15 minutes???

I can clean three Glocks in 15 minutes

Guillermo
April 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
yes

you are being a jerk

AlexanderA
April 24, 2011, 10:26 PM
The way I see it, the owner should clean the gun. That way, he has no one but himself to blame if the gun is somehow damaged in the "cleaning." Now, letting someone else shoot the gun is entirely at the owner's option. This does not imply an obligation on the shooter's part to clean the gun, although it does imply some sort of obligation to pay for the ammunition shot.

If I let somebody shoot one of my guns, personally I wouldn't want him "cleaning" it, much less disassembling it. In fact I would be offended if he started to take it apart. (How could I know whether or not he knew what he was doing?) My permission to shoot it doesn't extend to disassembly!

Sport45
April 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
I thought it would be assumed that he should clean it if he fired it....

That's not an assumption I would ever make. If I take someone to the range and let them shoot my guns they are free to go when we get home.

I'm not sure I want to take this guy shooting anymore, let alone sell him the glock if I do decide to.

Why on earth would you care what he did with it once it was his????

788Ham
April 24, 2011, 11:22 PM
Well, it doesn't sound like much of a friend! If he thinks so much of you as a friend, wants to buy your pistol, knows how you take care of it, let him shoot it, then by Gawd, he cleans it, shouldn't have to be asked, hinted at or otherwise! This good friend probably wants you to knock off 1/2 the price, I mean c'mon, he's your "best" friend right!? AND, after he's shot it enough times, its a used gun, why not knock off 1/2! A buddy of mine helped me change a trigger out of a rifle, not complicated, but I wasn't sure how to do it. When he finished with it, I thanked him and left. However, the next day I went to the sptg store and picked up some bore cleaner and some patches, not knowing if he had the right bore brush, I picked one of those up also. When he inquired about why I had gotten this stuff, I told him it was because he was a good friend, and I didn't want to take advantage of his time and expertise, I appreciated his help. And??

April 24, 2011, 11:23 PM
If I'm taking a friend to go shooting (my guns), I would let him/her enjoy the experience, that's it. I would have no problem cleaning the guns afterward.
Think of it as having guests over your house for dinner. Would you hold a grudge against them, if they did not wash your dishes afterward? I don't sweat over small things. But that's just me.

gym
April 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
I would rather clean a gun myself rather than allow someone who chose not clean a gun you were kind enough to let him use. But on the other hand I don't let anyone shoot my guns, other than my wife, so I woulden't have that problem, If it were a mag or even two, it would make no difference, but 2 boxes requires a cleaning with any automatic. And to take it a step further I have seen guns including glocks foul and FTF with cheap rounds that foul everything up internally. Like TUL, I shoot them because they are cheap, but I can actually feel the grit after a couple boxes. Not cleaning an auto is just bad carma, I don't care what anyone tells you, there are too many things that can happen to a gun that is dirty and allowed to sit and cake up, especially the firing mechanism, and even the mag in some cases. Once he asked if you expected him to clean it, I would have never allowed him to have the gun back in his hands. I am not saying that he would intentionally mess up your gun, but an angry or annoyed person just shouldn't be messing with something I stake my life on.

AZ
April 24, 2011, 11:47 PM
It sounds like he was just frustrated because you weren't 100% after suggesting selling the gun (and shooting it probably made him that much more eager to buy it!) but what is some temporary animosity, friends are friends and dudes forgive each other imo. As for cleaning guns I won't let any of my friends do it for me. Has nothing to do with trust I just like cleaning my guns, it's part of owning them, and I can be pretty darn possessive when it comes to my guns.

Jungle George
April 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
As a rifle instructor I have a couple of rifles I loan out regularly. I always clean them myself. I wouldn't expect them to do it, there are a lot out there that never clean their firearms and have no clue how to do it. So I wouldn't trust them to do it.

PATH
April 25, 2011, 02:03 AM
Wow! Sure are a lot of replies in this thread.

1) You are not a jerk.

2) Personally I never let folks clean my firearms. They can however wash my car.

3) Never assume anything and you can avoid issues by openly discussing things.

4) Did you decide to sell him the Glock or not? IMHO the most intruiging aspect if this thread.;)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 25, 2011, 02:03 AM
.....I'm still of the opinion that you shoot it, you clean it, at least ask if I want it cleaned. If you don't know how to clean it you ask...

......My give a crap scale on this one is low... it just has consequences, like not letting him borrow stuff because I'm not sure how I'll get it back.

I don't understand a couple of things.
1) IF your "give-a-crap" scale on this one is low, then why come on here and post the entire incident?

2) Then, when people answer your question as to - are you being a jerk about it - you seem to not want to hear the truth.

3) I think there is more to this than just asking a friend if they want to shoot your gun then your being angry afterward that they did not offer to clean the gun, then, on top of that, your being angry at just how he cleaned it, by golly!:rolleyes:

You ask our opinion, we are honest with you in giving our opinion, then it is like you are taken aback at OUR attitudes and OUR opinions on how it all went down. This seems to be the kind of thing trolls do, get everyone going on something. I'm not saying in any way that you are a troll, I am only saying think about what it is you expect to hear from us all when you ask the questions and then we are honest with you.

After all, we could all tell you a lie and tell you that you are a nice guy all the time and this friend is NOT Really a friend - if he indeed did that nasty thing to you! Is that what you would like to hear - us ranking on your friend?

I guess I don't understand the point of the entire post if none of us cannot seem to get through to you about something that you came here asking us about!:confused::banghead::cuss::fire::D;):cool::)

crm7290
April 25, 2011, 02:04 AM
If he just started shooting and your letting him shoot with the chance of him buying it, cleaning is on you. No questions.

If you were just learning how to shoot would you know that you are being expected to clean the gun? Would you know how? Maybe to him cleaning it for 15 minutes is all it needs.

I started shooting last year with friends and just now got my own shotgun. My friends that I shoot with know that I just bought it and that its my first gun. They offered to clean it for me the first time (after about 350 shells) and next time they will show me how to do it. Back when I was shooting only their guns they said "No I dont want you to clean my gun" and that was that. We would hang out at their place with them cleaning their respective guns and me just being company.

merlinfire
April 25, 2011, 08:07 AM
Personally, I say he was kind of being a jerk not offering to clean it, but I wouldn't want to cause harm to the relationship by calling him out on it. Taking the time to clean it myself is worth it to me.

Rshooter
April 25, 2011, 08:27 AM
I prefer to clean my own guns. Last time I went shooting at a friends house he asked me if I wanted to clean his gun too. I did. I find it relaxing.

Old Shooter
April 25, 2011, 08:27 AM
No matter who shoots it, I clean my own guns.

If I let you pop a hundred rounds thru it at the range, later that evening or the next day I will clean it myself, thank you very much anyway.

I want all my guns to go bang every time. I don't want to have a "WTH?" moment after someone else had cleaned and re-assembled one of my guns.

To answer your original question, I wouldn't say you were being a jerk unless it was lite beer. :)

CraigC
April 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
A few observations. Guns don't need to be cleaned every time they are shot. Just because the military indoctrinates this practice does not mean it is really necessary. Different reasons, different purposes, we can go in-depth if necessary. Nor is it an excuse for ex-military personel to look down their nose at civilians who don't agree with the practice. I simply wipe mine down after shooting and clean them when they need it. I don't change the oil in my vehicle every time I drive it to town either.

I also agree with those who say they don't want anybody cleaning their guns. I may let trusted friends shoot them but I don't want anybody cleaning them. Just like I don't want anybody washing my truck or motorcycle but me. You want to preach about courtesy, I would consider it extremely discourteous for anyone to break down and clean my firearm without permission.

That said, he shot the gun, it belongs to you, you believe in cleaning every range session, you asked him to clean it afterwards, he should've cleaned it to the best of his ability. Even so, it's a Glock, it takes five minutes to clean and it's not worth losing a friend over. Lighten up and clean the damn thing. ;)

ForumSurfer
April 25, 2011, 09:04 AM
Personally, I say he was kind of being a jerk not offering to clean it, but I wouldn't want to cause harm to the relationship by calling him out on it. Taking the time to clean it myself is worth it to me.

I agree.

Also, I don't spend 15 minutes on my glocks to clean them. 5 minutes and the bore is spotless, along with the breechface and under the extractor. It takes less than 10 minutes to strip a glock down to a bare frame, a bare slide and a pile of small parts.

xfyrfiter
April 26, 2011, 03:07 PM
I clean my own. Ask and you can shoot it, if I am sure you are safe and aware of the controls etc. If not I will show you, I will also show you how to clean it, my way. If I sell it then it is yours to do with as you wish.

LKB3rd
April 26, 2011, 06:34 PM
Not a big deal imo. It's a Glock, for god's sake.

:)

supercalvin56
April 26, 2011, 09:06 PM
a Glock? dunk it in pail of soapy water and slush it around if you have the time.

Tomcat47
April 26, 2011, 11:26 PM
Wow! ......... :scrutiny: 80 Post!

I sure wish he woulda just cleaned the dang gun! :p

ForumSurfer
April 26, 2011, 11:42 PM
Wow! ......... :scrutiny: 80 Post!

I sure wish he woulda just cleaned the dang gun!

I hear ya. My 8 year old and my 12 year old will do that without prompting. My 12 year old is a little gun-crazy and he'd clean them every evening and morning if I asked with a smile on his face.

Speaking of soapy water, I have a good friend who was a cop. He cleaned his Glock 17 in the dishwasher. It was dry when it came out and he'd just put a drop of oil on each of the four rails, squirt some rem oil from the aerosol can down the barrel and call it a day. He used a bore snake for 3 pulls before the wash and 3 pulls after the wash. Say what you want, but it was a reliable and accurate pistol for thousands of rounds and 5-6 years before his department switched to 357 Sigs.

dacavasi
April 26, 2011, 11:45 PM
Use your own judgement on the frequency of required cleaning. Me personally, I don't beleive that guns and alcohol mix, on any level, at any time, including cleaning sessions. Your mileage may vary...

1stmarine
April 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
As much as you need another friend he might need another one too.
I am not Doctor Phil so you have to figure that one out on your own.
I feel that if someone doesn't want to do something don't force them because they will not do it right and you have to check later if the thing is put together correctly, specially a firearm.
Cleaning a glock every 100 rounds is not necessary. You wear it more cleaning than the shooting itself.

benEzra
April 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
I thought it would be assumed that he should clean it if he fired it....
I don't clean my guns every time they are fired, generally. When they are cleaned, I don't obsess about it, but I am particular about how they are cleaned and lubricated and wouldn't want someone else to do it for me unless I knew they do things the same way I do.

JTHunter
April 27, 2011, 12:20 AM
Benbru - if your "friend" complained about cleaning the pistol after only 100 rounds, he may not have done "due diligence" in the cleaning of it either.
As for selling it to him, that's up to you. If he complains about cleaning it now, what is he going to say if something goes wrong with it from his poor maintenance?

ForumSurfer
April 27, 2011, 12:23 AM
I don't clean my guns every time they are fired, generally.

Same here. The exception is military surplus (or that cheap tula/wolf stuff) that my or may not be corrosive. Even if it is just 50 rounds I fired off to blow off steam, I'll clean it or at least boresnake the barrel if I use that stuff.

ForumSurfer
April 27, 2011, 12:30 AM
As for selling it to him, that's up to you. If he complains about cleaning it now, what is he going to say if something goes wrong with it from his poor maintenance?

I'm not the manufacturer. If you buy it from me and it fails, that's your problem. If it is a really close friend who is clueless...I'll help him out at my convenience.

That's just me. I also feel that a small round count like 100 doesn't dictate a mandatory (even on my carry piece) cleaning unless the pistol is going to sit for longer than a month. Will I clean it? Probably. But if I'm pressed for time, I have no issues putting it away or back into my holster until I get a chance to shoot and clean it on the next weekend.

I don't believe that cleaning a modern pistol compulsively is going to cause wear...so I don't find fault with compulsive guys that clean after 50 rounds or guys that go 500 rounds and a couple of weeks without cleaning (corrosive ammo would be different, I feel that warrants a cleaning even after a couple of mags).

So in short, either way is cool with me. If I'm shooting a friend's weapons, I'll clean it to his standards (and supply his preferred ammo type) and hope he returns the favor to me without trying to force his opinion about cleaning on me. It is just a respect thing IMO. :)

gathert
April 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
As part of the military v civilian thing, you dont have to pay for your issued weapon, and those are all the same and pretty tough. As a civilian paying hard earned money for a nice gun, thats where attachment sets in. I would not want someone else cleaning my guns because I take better care of my guns because they are mine. I've had other people help clean guns, and they didnt get very clean so I just skip that part and do it myself. Plus they didnt pay for it, nor did they no the proper take down procedures and I had to do it anyway. Having them clean parts they cant mess up like pins and wiping down the slide I will allow them to do though, just so they can help. Besides, Hoppes #9 smells pretty good :) And I clean my guns after I shoot every single time so I clean them a lot.

Lou McGopher
April 27, 2011, 12:35 AM
I think you and your friend should sit down for a session with Dr. Phil.

deacon8
April 27, 2011, 01:08 AM
I agree with some of the other posters here. I think 10-15 min. is more than adequate time to clean a pistol after only 100 rounds have been fired. However, I am going to take a different angle on this as well: I wouldn't want/expect someone else to take apart my gun and clean it. I would look at is as treating a friend to an afternoon of shooting. I would just do it and wouldn't think twice about it. However, if the friend were to wipe it down well, I would see it as a sign of good gesture. Beyond that, I would expect nothing and would surely not say anything. Personally, I don't want anyone taking apart my firearms, unless I know they know what they are doing. Even then, I wouldn't want them doing it. That's like saying you drove my car earlier; clean it! I mean come on...Well, I don't know, maybe I'm out of line on this one. Either way, unless it was an extended use situation, I wouldn't expect (much less tell) someone else to clean one of my firearms. And like I said before, I wouldn't want them to either...

Lighten up. You took your friend out shooting and you let him use one of your pistols. It shouldn't take more than 15 min to clean up after 100 rounds anyway, last time I spent more than 15 min to clean a gun after that light of shooting was Basic Training. If you want to pass the "white glove test," spend the extra 30 min (cleaning with q-tips?) to clean it and talk to your friend a little more. My $0.02...

-Deacon

Ignition Override
April 27, 2011, 01:35 AM
Unless you guys have a habit of cleaning each others' guns, maybe you are expecting friends to have your perspective and standards.

Nobody ever wants to shoot more than eight-ten rds. out of any of my rifles (SKS, Enfields, Garand), and we go our separate ways afterwards.
Maybe you are a bit picky, but that depends on what is normal for you guys.

If any of you guys need motivation to clean a gun, can you clean in the tv room (over two towels etc) and switch on the Military Channel or History/TBS etc?

chrt396
April 27, 2011, 01:52 AM
Actually, I would rather that the gun stay dirty than have someone else clean my gun! Now, if I were selling it to the guy and he had the money on the table, he can clean away, as it is now HIS GUN, NOT MINE!
I agree! BUT The OP mentioned that he wasn't quite sure that he wanted to sell it! If he wanted to part with it..then yep..leave it just the way his friend left it. If I did NOT want to sell it...I wouldn't let ANYONE touch my gun to clean it. My Son shoots my pistols and rifles quite a bit! I never thought of him actually cleaning them. Now..he's 29 yrs old and on his own, but if I invite him..I usually don't expect anything except for him to bring his own ammo.

9mmfan
April 27, 2011, 02:45 AM
I've taken many people shooting. I have never expected them to clean my guns. Granted I've never really had them over afterwards, nor taken them with the possibility of them buying. Certainly not if I was waffling on selling. If you had decided to sell, it would have been his to clean, or not, as he sees fit. Since you opted not to sell, the responsibility falls on you. Also, if someone did clean one of MY guns, I wouldn't complain if they didn't meet my expectations. They just made it easier when I did it for real. IMHO, YMMV.

Jonah71
April 27, 2011, 09:38 AM
Same here.

jiminhobesound
April 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah!

longdayjake
April 27, 2011, 09:53 AM
Am I being a Jerk?

If you have to ask someone else then you might as well assume you are. I tell myself this any time I worry about how I am acting. (Which is quite often).

All of us are different, but I personally have let dozens of people shoot my guns (even my expensive $2000 ones) and as long as they are responsible with them I don't ask for anything more. I think guns are for fun. If you are finding ways to make them unfun for you then maybe you should turn it into a job.

mustang_steve
April 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
Those borrow my own guns/ammo up for can either clean it or pony up for the ammo used.

Note, I expect my own ammo to be used in any of my own guns.

The lazy friends buy the ammo, the wise friends just clean it. I always clean a gun after borrowing it.

Havegunjoe
April 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
Donít be too harsh. People need to learn gun etiquette from someone and at sometime. It was a good opportunity to teach some.

hso
April 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
Expecting him to clean it? No, you're not being a jerk.

Not selling it to him just because you had to remind him to clean it just sounds like hurting yourself.

mgmorden
April 27, 2011, 02:42 PM
Not really a jerk - maybe a bit obsessive though :).

IMHO, 15 minutes is PLENTY of time to clean a pistol. Your expectations may vary of course, but, again, IMHO, if you want him to do the cleaning then you have to kinda accept his level of cleaning. If it's something that you're really particular about, then you should do it yourself.

Asking that he clean it and then complaining about his methods is a bit like asking someone to bring a covered dish and then complaining about the recipe they used.

1KPerDay
April 27, 2011, 03:53 PM
And he goes off about how it was only 100rds and it couldn't even be that dirty after 100 rounds. He eventually picks it up, takes it apart, sprays some CLP on a brush scrubs it real quick wipes it down, and is done in 10-15minutes.

I decided not to say anything but I'm not sure I want to take this guy shooting anymore, let alone sell him the glock if I do decide to.

Am I just being a jerk? One sided? I thought it would be assumed that he should clean it if he fired it....
He did clean it. And he took 15 minutes do do so. That's about 13 minutes longer than it should take to clean a Glock, IMO. :)

If you got mad at me and held a grudge because I didn't take longer than 15 minutes to clean your gun, after I asked you if I could clean it for you... I don't think I'd want to go shooting with you again. :scrutiny:

bbuddtec
April 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
BEN you're a good guy, but you can't get mad if you didn't have an agreement, food for thought next time... :) And just because he didn't just clean it, doesn't mean no-one else would! I know if my buddy was cleaning his guns, I'd be right there cleanin the one I shot 'cuz that's what we're doin, cleaning after shooting, still having a good time and I feel I can always learn something I didn't know or think about. But that's just me.

:D "Stick to your guns", man!

Ben86
April 27, 2011, 04:53 PM

You probably should have made the cleaning of the gun a condition of using it beforehand.

Don't get mad because he didn't clean it good enough for your specifications. Even if I let friends shoot my guns I clean them myself to make sure the job gets done how I want it. If I asked them to clean it I wouldn't complain if they didn't do it good enough for me. My only requirement is that they bring their own ammo, cuz I'm not running an ammunition charity. ;)

As for selling the Glock it is a business decision, don't let hurt feelings or whatever get in the way. If you benefit from the deal do it, if only he does, then don't sell it to him.

Joe Demko
April 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't get the obsessive cleaning. What is it that you imagine the residue of a few rounds of modern smokeless, non-corrosive ammo is going to do to your gun? I'm especially mystified if the gun in question is a modern military piece like a Glock.
Yeah, you're being a jerk; and by letting your peevishness queer the sale, a self-defeating jerk.

1stmarine
April 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
I am surprised this thread goes on...
Let me try to help you out:

Being 'a friend' anyone can be.

Being a real friend means:

-Give as Good as You Get... or More
-Be Upbeat When They Can't
-Try to Understand the Lens They See Life Through
-Be Honest but Not Blunt
-Be Loyal
-Watch his/her six and he/she will watch yours.
-Yout take a bullet for your friend.

I know a lot of people they only call me when they need something even if it is just company.
I know a few people they only call me when they just found out I need something.

A glock doesn't need much cleaning. Actually I want the glock to be fired after is cleaned to consider it is ok for carrying. Specially a deep maintenance. You don't want to find out something is wrong after replacing a spring when you need it in an emergency.
Some firearms shoot better a little dirty than 100% clean. Keep a good cleaning and preventive maintenance schedule but do not be paranoic.

Cheers.
E.

7.62mm.ak47
April 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
Honestly man I don't blame you for being mad but I suggest always cleaning your own guns.

matt_borror
April 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
if you didnt or werent going to shoot it i think its reasonable to have him clean it...although I wouldn't expect it. Mention it be4hand to eliminate confusion. make it a stipulation.

iblong
April 28, 2011, 07:22 AM
The only time I expect spmeone to clean one of my guns is if they picked it up
and took it somewhere to shoot or hunt.If they shoot with me I clean them.
Certin ones I own I dont want taken down by any one else and I let them know it up front.When I get them back after they leave I'll field strip them to make sure they function properly,If they are in need of further cleanning I'll finsh the job.No harm no foul.

Sport45
April 28, 2011, 09:15 AM
You should have just let him buy it dirty.

That way you wouldn't have had to worry about cleaning it either. ;)

Blackbeard
April 28, 2011, 10:12 PM
I don't spend 15 minutes cleaning my Glock, and I wouldn't even do it for 100 rounds.

Ironclad
April 28, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'd honestly rather not have somebody else take apart anything I own. And he did offer... Was he really complaining or just explaining why he didn't offer to clean it earlier?

newfalguy101
April 28, 2011, 11:02 PM
your gun, you want it clean, you clean it.

Far as I am concerned, unless you TOLD him you expected him to clean it, you shouldnt have expected him to clean it.

I have let people shoot my guns many times and have never expected them to clean them, they are MY guns so the cleaning ( when I get around to it ) is MY resposibility.

Not sure you are being a jerk or not, but, next time you might want to be sure your guests know your expectations before heading out.

9mmepiphany
April 29, 2011, 12:08 AM
I think that in 5 pages and 113 postings the OP has had his question answered

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I being a Jerk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!