Careful when shooting several calibers!

PDA

irishpunk
April 25, 2011, 03:03 AM
Alright, nobody's perfect. Things happen.

I was at the range with my neighbor and my wife the other day, we were shooting handloads. Just grabbed a few handfuls out of each bin and put in them separate containers. Here's what happened:

We were at the range, my wife was shooting his Glock 23. One of the shots didn't reciprocate the slide, so she went through the malfunction drill of tap rack bang (she's in law enforcement). Not a hiccup after that. When she finished the magazine, we picked up the brass and found a 9mm casing that told the whole story.

http://i.imgur.com/HkpDA.jpg

Yes, a 9mm round ended up loaded in a .40 magazine, and subsequently shot through a Glock 23. It fired off, the bullet went through the target, but there wasn't enough recoil to cycle the slide. That day, a million other things could have happened. The bullet could have turned partially sideways in the barrel and got stuck, resulting in a kB. Could have happened with any brand of gun, really.

Be careful when you're shooting multiple calibers, especially when you have your ammo loose packed. Check your rounds as you load them into the mags.

http://i.imgur.com/rtCn3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Careful when shooting several calibers!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
April 25, 2011, 03:08 AM
The bullet could have turned partially sideways in the barrel and got stuck, resulting in a kB.

I'd be surprised if that's ever happened with a centerfire cartridge that had a smaller diameter than the caliber of weapon in which it was fired. More likely to get some gnarly hot gases coming out through the ejection port from a ruptured casing, but getting the smaller bullet stuck in the barrel? Incredibly unlikely, if even possible at all.

Shadow 7D
April 25, 2011, 03:18 AM
Well, you could have issues if you shot 9mak out of a .380 or 9mm, or vice versa a 9mm out of the other two. Especially in a non locking breech design.

Case in point, good way to get hurt, but more often it isn't from a barrel obstruction.

Rubber_Duck
April 25, 2011, 03:47 AM
My wife once asked me if a 9x19 would fit in her 9x18 Makarov. I put one 9mm in the chamber through the ejection port to show that it didn't fit. Well, I was wrong. It chambered, and I dropped the slide and the ejector snapped over the rim of the 9mm Luger round. Well, knowing the 9x19 is much more powerful and the Makarov being a blowback action, it would've been VERY unsafe to try to fire it, so my best judgement told me to remove the round immediately. This was difficult because the slide wouldn't pull back far enough to eject the longer 9x19mm round so I had to use a screwdriver to pry the extractor off the rim of the casing and then pop the round down through the magwell.

Next time I will say no, it doesn't fit, and skip the demonstration! All my wife wanted was for me to hold the rounds side-by-side!

Lex Luthier
April 25, 2011, 07:29 AM
1) Check the barrel.
2) Check the box.
3) Check the bullet.
4) Everytime.

Impureclient
April 25, 2011, 08:53 AM
:uhoh:We were at the range, my wife was shooting his Glock 23.
I missed the neighbor part at first :D

ny32182
April 25, 2011, 09:11 AM
I've seen this happen several times, each with the results you have in the picture. I don't believe there is any danger present in terms of overpressure or KB in this specific situation. With a bullet that is smaller than the bore, you will have gas getting around the bullet, resulting in lower pressure than a shot fired with the correct cartridge. The failure to cycle is a symptom of this; there is not enough energy present to do so. The fact that the case is not split also demonstrates how relatively little pressure is present.

Most recently I actually saw a woman get off three shots: bang, rack, bang, rack, bang... before the SO stopped her and figured out she had a whole mag of 9's in her 229/.40.

I'd be a lot more worried if someone stuck a 9mm in a 357sig chamber. I'm not sure I would want to be standing there for that one. Caliber is the same, but I'd be concerned that the bullet could not squarely jump to the rifling to get down the barrel, and even if it did, you would then have a near full pressure shot with a completely unsupported case.

Carl N. Brown
April 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
Not as bad as shooting a 5.56mm through a 6.8mm rifle: the case will swell, split, won't eject and accuracy sucks. (Hey, the 5.56mm bullet was needed to depress the stop on the sight adjustment and was left on the bench next to the 6.8mm magazine.)

Accuracy of .380 in a 9mm Makarov pistol is poor, but the gun does function.

Bottom line, don't shoot guns with two similar but different ammos at the same time.

We were at the range, my wife was shooting his Glock 23.
I missed the neighbor part at first
Yeah I missed that skimming the opening post :confused:, and re-read :o. In context it is obvious the wife was shooting the neighbor's gun. It is funny how what makes sense when spoken can be misread in print.

BHP FAN
April 25, 2011, 10:46 AM
shooting a .380 in my 9mm Mak caliber PA63 busted the double action ''fly'' on the hammer.I installed a new one, and it's fine, but it can damage the gun.

Carl N. Brown
April 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
...although I have seen it done. I do not seen any good in using 380 in a 9mm Mak.

The worst I have seen with .380 in a Makarov is that a chambered 380 cartridge slipped off the extractor and stayed in the firing chamber rather than be ejected. That spells "Don't ever use .380 in 9mm Makarov" from a pure safety point. (Yes, you should always visually inspect the firing chamber to be sure.)

gearhead
April 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
When I took my CWP class someone showed up for the class with a pistol chambered for 9X19 but with .380 in the mag. It fired a round or two but with failures to cycle and eject, the instructor finally checked it out and saw what had happened. The rest of us scraped together enough spare 9X19 to let that person complete the handling and firing portion of the class.

Hk Dan
April 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
Heck I've seen 9mm go out of a .40 at least a dozen times (USPSA/IDPA). It's hardly recommended practice, but I've never seen it damage anything except the case.

TX1911fan
April 25, 2011, 02:28 PM
Any time a round fires but does not have the power to cycle the slide, tap, rack bang is NOT the appropriate action. The barrel must be checked for obstructions. Tap, rack bang is used when a round does not fire, not when it fires but doesn't cycle. You could just as easily have had a primer only round, resulting in the bullet being stuck in the barrel. THAT would have been very un-fun.

Shadow 7D
April 25, 2011, 03:11 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sage words of advice
and a good thing to remember to keep you face and fingers firmly attached

Drail
April 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
Having multiple open containers of ammo on the bench/tailgate with guns in multiple chamberings will guarentee this to happen. Shoot one gun with its ammo and then get both out of the area if you plan to shoot something else. I've seen this happen too many times on ranges. Think.

ny32182
April 25, 2011, 05:10 PM
You hear a distinct bang when shooting a 9 through a .40... there is enough pressure to generate that. It is clear that the bullet made it out the barrel.

I think it would be a lot easier to confuse a squib vs. a dud primer at high speed than it would a 9 in a .40 vs. a normal .40 shot. There was a thread recently in the shotgun section where someone did exactly that and banana-peeled their barrel. As a close proximity observer, the 9 in a .40 just looks and sounds like any other FTE until you examine the cases.

Sauer Grapes
April 25, 2011, 05:15 PM
Having multiple open containers of ammo on the bench/tailgate with guns in multiple chamberings will guarentee this to happen. Shoot one gun with its ammo and then get both out of the area if you plan to shoot something else. I've seen this happen too many times on ranges. Think.
^^^^^^ditto^^^^^^

I picked a .380 case out of the range bucket the other day. I don't know how it ever went off, but it was split open and stretched to the size of a .40 S&W.

Owen Sparks
April 25, 2011, 05:39 PM
This is why I don't like the idea of ejecting live rounds onto the ground in the "unload and show clear" phase of action shooting sports. You could pick up the wrong round. I have seen this happen at several shooting matches including one mishap exactly like the OP. I have also seen someone jam a .40 by putting a .45 in the magazine.

ColtPythonElite
April 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
Saw the same thing a couple of weeks ago, with the same gun...A buddy loaded a 9mm into his G23 mag. The case looked just like the OP's.

Ignition Override
April 25, 2011, 05:49 PM
It almost happened with two of us letting two other guys try our rifles at the range.
So many people don't know the caliber difference between a Yugo 8mm Mauser and Lee Enfield #4 (.303).

To me, most modern handguns look exactly alike.

A very young guy elsewhere, who is about twenty apparently tried a .223 (5.56) round in his AK-74, which uses 5.45x39, because that is what his friend told me. They needed a cleaning rod because a bullet got jammed.

PapaG
April 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
You'd be amazed at what you see come in to the shop. To wit:
Man brings in his Kimber, says the chamber must be way oversize...see the bulged case. I took one look: Kimber was a .45, case was a .40.
Man brings in a single shot shotgun, an old one chambered in 44 XL. Says he has a box of ammo for it. Opens up a sack and pulls out a box of Rem 44 mags. Luckily none fired. I educated him.
My little brother, rest his soul, many years ago, had a S&W model 58, the M&P 41 mag. Dad had a Model 94, briefly made in the late sixties in 44 mag. Bro is shooting the 94, all goes well until one round goes "pooop". I catch the ejected, perch bellied brass. Yep, 41 mag. I made it into a plaque for him.
Lots of these things happen. Some folks insist on shooting 32 acp in 32 s&w handguns. I checked and the psi on the acps is quite a bit higher...and most of those s&ws were black powder guns.
What it says on the barrel is what it is supposed to shoot, unless, like one dumba** at our club found out....he bought a rifle online, was told it was a 22-250 on a Jap action. It was a 6.5 jap. One shot....he was cured. Luckily the gun held together..I remember Sharpe writing in his book that the Jap took more pressure than either the Springfield or Mauser.

Notoast
April 25, 2011, 08:09 PM
Three guys were taking turns on a single lane at the gun club and sharing three rental guns. Since I knew they were shooting factory (range) ammo I asked if I could pick up their brass; I ended up with a few 9mm like that.

gbran
April 25, 2011, 08:15 PM
Once during the heat of battle (quail hunting), I found I could chamber a roll of Wintergreen Lifesavers into my shotgun. They didn't even scare the quail who lived to fight another day.

gathert
April 25, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thats kind of funny.

Patriotme
April 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
I once saw the exact opposite. I had a friend try to shoot .40cal out of my 9mm. He called me over to his shooting station to ask me why he could only get a couple of rnds in the magazine. I looked at it and was very suprised to see that he was loading .40's in my 9mm.
I then realized that despite the fact that this was his 3rd range trip shooting these handguns (2hrs each) and all of the ammo was still in the original boxes, I needed to watch him more closely.
Live and learn. Never assume that everyone has the same level of competence or common sense.

foghornl
April 26, 2011, 02:36 PM
Took my .357 Blackhawk to the range one day..upon arriving, I had nothing but .22 rimfire ammo.

Wouldn't have been such a big deal, except was riding with a Shooting Budd and we had gone to the outdoor range, about an hour's drive away...

If you enjoyed reading about "Careful when shooting several calibers!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!