American Eagle stainless Luger

PDA

cmdc
April 27, 2011, 08:50 AM
Does anyone have experience or opinions about this pistol, other than it is pretty and pricey? I read a couple of less-than-stellar reviews online, but they were old posts.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Eagle stainless Luger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
April 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
As with almost all guns, reviews ran from "It's junk" to "It's a great gun".

Like all Luger pistols, the triggers are rough, heavy, and creepy.
Sights are so-so, and it's definitely not a target gun.
It was intended to be a shooting replica of a historic firearm, not a CCW gun, combat gun, or target gun.
Where the replica Luger "fits" is as a range toy. Something you take to the range to bang away with and have fun. As such, the fact that it might jam from time to time is of no consequence, since it IS just a range toy.

Reliability depends very much on ammo, with the guns being sensitive to what they were fed, just like original Luger's.
Some owners just couldn't accept that their pistol just wasn't going to shoot the ammo they wanted it to shoot and they dinged the gun in reviews.

Bottom line on these is that like all guns, they're individuals. One gun will be great, one will be trouble, and what ammo works in one gun may choke another.
All you can do is give the gun a try to see what you have. Be prepared to experiment to find ammo it "likes".

Wil Terry
April 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
I had one of these. It shot very well indeed and had a decent trigger, the rarest of all Luger virtues.
Seventy five rounds of commercial 9MM PARABELLUM ammunition so banged up the guts of that pistol it was totally inoperable. It turned out the inside parts were softer than beer cans and were battered to a farethewell.
The pistol was returned to be replaced and to this day at least twenty years later I am still waiting.
And so it goes...

cmdc
April 28, 2011, 06:44 AM
Since the gun is priced at $1200, I think I'll pass. Sure looks good, though.

Pilot
April 28, 2011, 08:09 AM
If you want a shooter Luger, buy a shooter grade German manufactured Luger. There are many from post WWII occupation floating around from countries like Russia and the former E. Germany. Their prices have escalated since mostly they were imported in the mid 90's.

cmdc
April 28, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks, guys. Are the shooter Lugers good shooters? I have always liked the look and feel of a Luger, but was told/read that they were jammomatics, then read that the reason for that was that they were made for hotter European 9mm ammo, and that the weaker American ammo would not cycle it properly, hence the bad rap. True?

xr1200
April 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
Both the mitchell and the stoeger stainless steel luger were not that good.

Most of them seemed to have a lot of feeding and cycling problems.

No stainless replacement parts available.

No luger gunsmith will touch them.

I think they were made with cast frames and cast parts.

From what I remember there was a fight over the rights to manufacture it.

New they were priced around $1000.

If you find a good used one for around $500 -$600 they might be worth a chance.

You get some collectors buying up the mitchell and stoeger stainless model for the curiosity or for their future collector value as they are no longer made, kind of like collecting old YUGO cars.

There are some idiots paying over a $1000 for these mitchell or stoeger lugers.

The experts advice to get a 9mm interarms mauser luger in 9mm for $750-$1000, these were made by mauser oberdorf in the late 70's and a lot of them are still around NIB, they are made with all forged steel parts.

I picked up a NIB interarms navy 6 inch 9mm mauser luger for only $900 locally.

The other way to get a good luger is to buy a good used german 1910 -1950 version online from a dealer, who has a good return policy. You can get a very good condition , numbers match 9mm luger with no pits or rust, in a shooter condition for $750-$1200, if you look around.

Make sure you buy the gun thats shows itself competely field stripped with grips off and showing all the matching numbers.

Leaky Waders
May 2, 2011, 12:05 PM
A pistol that handles similar to the luger is a ruger mark 1 or mark 2. I have never shot the mark 3...but it should be similar.

The mark 2's that I have are very reliable 22's - easy and fun to shoot and deadly on rabbits and squirrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Eagle stainless Luger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!