carrying extra reloads for my '58

PDA

kbbailey
April 27, 2011, 09:03 AM
I bought a '58 Reminton back in Feb and haven't fired a cartridge revolver since then lol. I have been carrying the short bbl '58 quite a bit since it is mushroom season here, and I have been in the woods often.
How do you cap 'n ball shooters carry spare ammo? I have carried my flask and spare ball/caps in an Altoids tin.

If you enjoyed reading about "carrying extra reloads for my '58" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TomADC
April 27, 2011, 09:43 AM
Why not pick up a spare cylinder and keep it ready to go except for the caps and swap them out then cap it while its in the gun.
BTW I didn't know mushrooms attack? :)

damoc
April 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
i normally just carry extra loaded cylindars

andrewstorm
April 27, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hold yer fire,morrel mushrooms are delicious & worth bucks$,shoot only toad stools,old farm equipment,dead trees,coyotes,ground hogs if you got horses,all snakes,and any other vermin,:D spare cylinders are the way to go ,cell phone cases work well,good luck huntin.

kbbailey
April 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
Alright <*groan*>not shooting unarmed mushrooms.... just the usual stumps, riverbanks, rocks etc.

I loaded some cigarette paper cartridges per the sticky at the top of this page. I had a dozen loads in a tin box. I started to dump in a dozen loose caps, but decided no to... as I got a mental image of my thigh and the ensueing mushroom cloud, should Mr. Murphy decide to strike.

I do have another Pietta '58 that I could take the cyl out of......

BHP FAN
April 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
Carry the spare cylinder .... speed loader cases will usually fit, and can be found at garage sales and gunshows, cheap.

andrewstorm
May 1, 2011, 10:55 AM
The fastest way to reload is another 58 ,carry two 58 s if your fit itll be no problen if your not ,carry both guns and you will be,12 shots and a bag of balls and powder horn and capper ,your ready for anything:D:scrutiny::D

kbbailey
May 1, 2011, 06:45 PM
I actually have 3 '58s, but much prefer the short bbl Pietta. I guess I might be 'fit' enough to pack all three.....from the truck to the target anyway, lol.

Two years ago, Doc told me I was in good shape for an 80yo grandma.....so I lost 42lbs.
Doc was so impressed he suggested I quit using tobacco...so I quit and gained 35lbs. <grrrrr>(but glad to be free of it)

BHP FAN
May 2, 2011, 10:41 AM
Are all three of your revolvers Piettas? You should be able to dismount the cylinders for the longer guns, and just pack them along for your favorite short barrel model...or am I missing something obvious?

kbbailey
May 3, 2011, 11:55 PM
2 Piettas...1 Uberti.

I have been reluctant to use the cyl from the long bbl Pietta because actually I am only babysitting it. My nephew left it with me while he did tour #1 in Iraq with the USMC. Then he did #2 with the Army...I still have it. I have to take it out for excercise from time to time, lol.

The short Pietta and the Uberti are mine though.

BHP FAN
May 4, 2011, 12:01 AM
thank him for his service, for me.

kbbailey
May 4, 2011, 01:37 PM
....will do BHP FAN,

He is soon to return to Mid East with a security contract company...for big $$$

Mike 56
May 4, 2011, 01:49 PM
I carry my reloads in a Mosin Nagant ammo pouch. You can find them cheep at gun shops and gun shows. Four tall pill bottles fit perfect. I usually put paper cartrages in the pill bottles but i have put loose powder and balls in the pill bottles.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/51colt/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2678.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "carrying extra reloads for my '58" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!