How long does it take you to get to a loaded gun?

PDA

Owen Sparks
April 28, 2011, 12:02 AM
Starting right now, how long does it take for you to have a loaded gun in your hands, GO!

It took me 2.5 seconds. If someone were kicking down your door how long would it take?

If you enjoyed reading about "How long does it take you to get to a loaded gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
InkEd
April 28, 2011, 12:13 AM
I don't have a stopwatch handy.....and even if I did....it wouldn't be quick enough.

Think "The Waco Kid" in fast motion.

au01st
April 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
Roughly 3 seconds to get to the one on my hip, add another 3 if I need to get to the 12ga leaning against the wall at the end of the couch. Plenty of time to notice the flood lights come on in the driveway.

offroader1006
April 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
maybe a second.

sitting on the coffee table next to me.

and my wife sleeps with the 870 mesa tactical to her immediate right.

InkEd
April 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
In all seriousness, about the same as the OP including the draw from the holster.

beeenbag
April 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
one is touching my hip as i type this.

so how ever long it takes me to reach down and grab it.

I carry from wake till i go to bed, gun goes in bedside holster, then back on my hip when i wake up and get dressed, repeat.

General Geoff
April 28, 2011, 12:19 AM
About three seconds

Another two seconds or so to pick it up, chamber a round, and shoulder it.

788Ham
April 28, 2011, 12:24 AM
Two seconds, its lying on the computer table in front of me.

pacerdude
April 28, 2011, 12:33 AM
About 3 seconds its lying in a holster right next to me ;).

captain awesome
April 28, 2011, 12:38 AM
4 seconds. on top of my dresser. normally about ten to open the pistol safe.

nccavediver
April 28, 2011, 12:51 AM
I am laying in bed, can't sleep. My BHP is right next to me on my nightstand. I'd say less than 1 second.

Frogomatik
April 28, 2011, 01:39 AM
from go, it took me 4 or 5 seconds to get my gun and sight up.

Guardrail
April 28, 2011, 02:22 AM
I'd have to drive back to the yard, jump in the truck, buzz home, wait for the garage door to go up, run upstairs, scratch the dog on the head, run up to the bedroom on the second floor and open the night stand. About 4 hours, 21 minutes and 29 seconds.

Guardrail

mgregg85
April 28, 2011, 02:31 AM
About 2 seconds or so to reach into my front pocket, being fat and sitting down adds to the difficulty of drawing from my front pocket.

RS14
April 28, 2011, 02:50 AM
Lets see... I'll need to wait for morning, bike to the nearest FFL, buy a rifle, wait 10 days, retrieve it... About 248 hours, 12 minutes, 37 seconds. I would probably do better to buy a car and drive to Nevada.

(I live in a college dorm).

shotgunjoel
April 28, 2011, 02:58 AM
About 15-20 seconds to get to the safe and load the M1 carbine. Seriously, not everyone owns guns for self-defense.

hnl.flyboy
April 28, 2011, 04:08 AM
Over an hour, dependent on the city bus schedules. Virtual no-issue state :(

MachIVshooter
April 28, 2011, 04:49 AM
5-7 seconds. They might be in the door, but I'll be armed before they get to the hallway. About another two seconds is what it would have taken to get the AR out and chamber a round.

azmjs
April 28, 2011, 05:07 AM
The nearest one is in the bedroom I suppose, perhaps 10 or 15 seconds away.

Plenty of time if I hear someone start to beat in my front door.

If I were raided by the swat team, I'd be better off without the gun anyway.

Gaiudo
April 28, 2011, 05:13 AM
Let's see...

Bus to London Heathrow: 2 hours
Flight to Chicago: 7 hours
Customs and Immigration: 2 hours
Flight to Denver: 4 hours
Taxi to house: 30 minutes

Hours to firearms: 15.5 hours
Cost to freedom: priceless

azmjs
April 28, 2011, 05:27 AM
When I lived in China I had a bayonet and a hammer I kept in case someone broke in. A catholic priest gave me the hammer.

I carried a spyderco knife around with me. I've had that knife a long time.

ShroomFish
April 28, 2011, 05:54 AM
About 5 seconds (If I am at my desk, which is most the time) to dart to closet grab Mossberg folder off pegboard and chamber it..

RugerBob
April 28, 2011, 06:32 AM
If sleeping and woken up abruptly probly about 6-7 seconds to get 12ga and rack one in. Nothing loaded as grandkids visit very often and sleep over. If awake , depends on draw time as usually carrying.
Only issue is if not carrying cuz no guns on 1st floor. Have to make a run to basement or up stairs for easy access. But I have been in same area for last 8 years and seems nice.

TIMC
April 28, 2011, 06:42 AM
If I am really fast about 18.5 hours. I am in Europe right now. :banghead:

iblong
April 28, 2011, 06:55 AM
Depends,at a match aprox 1.8 to first shot thats knowing Im go to draw at the buzzer,real life from a dead sleep or starteld much longer.If im awake Im always armed even in the house at night its on the night stand less than a foot away, that said I think most would be several seconds as I think you would loose at least 1 or more just to process whats happening.Theres a difference in knowing your going to draw and the realization that you need to draw.Just my 2 cents.

ultradoc
April 28, 2011, 06:56 AM
About 5 sec. And that's anywhere in the house.

1911 guy
April 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
Took me longer to type this than to get a loaded pistol and rifle. Shotgun longer, because it's on the other side of the bed. Less than five seconds for both, maybe another 3 for the shotgun.

Sav .250
April 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
Zero..........It`s already loaded.

Dejavu
April 28, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thirty minutes, give or take.

I would have to go to the staff physician locker room, change out of scrubs, leave the OR, get out of the hospital (since in MN they can ban guns on premises), drive home and get to the bedroom.

But I doubt I will be shot at today in the operating room. Hopefully.

April 28, 2011, 09:05 AM
Which one-lol. 380 holstered, 45 on the computer desk, Makarov beside my recliner, 45 in another room, tactical shotty near the back door, or the 500 midway of our home.

USAF_Vet
April 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
As I'm at work, and we can't have weapons on company prooperty, I have to get in the car, drive home, either go to the cabinet and grab the 12 gauge, or go to the bedroom and grab the 9mm. Either way, It's gonna take me about 45 minutes.

If I'm at home, it's the same options, so anywhere between 5-15 seconds. Depends on if I'm asleep or awake, and what room I'm in.

Jonah71
April 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
I've been pushing it around the desk with my mouse for about an hr. Close enough? lol

M2 Carbine
April 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
How long does it take you to get to a loaded gun?
2-3 seconds.

There's a PA-63 mounted under the computer table I'm sitting at.

There's a Ruger SR9C hanging on a hook four feet away.

There's a 12 ga Ithaca pump shotgun leaning against the wall under the Ruger.

There's a Taurus 22 HMR Model 172 rifle beside the shotgun.

Then it would take ten seconds to get to the loaded "nightstand" guns, all equipped with Streamlight TLR-2 laserlights.
A Bushmaster AR .223.
A CZ 40P.
A Beretta PX4 9mm.
A Ruger 22/45 pistol.

It would take me about fifteen seconds to get to the other loaded laser/light equipped guns in the house.

FROGO207
April 28, 2011, 09:50 AM
A lot faster than it took to type this.:D

loneviking
April 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
Break into my house and you'll find out!

bbuddtec
April 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
3 sec to chambered hot AR, offhand. :)

Have a nice day!

CraigC
April 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
However long it takes me to sling open my desk drawer and grab the Officer's-length Kimer .45 contained therein. Couple seconds longer to grab the 1901 vintage 1894 .30WCF in the closet behind me, a few seconds longer for the AR-15 in the next room, or the Remington 870 in another. I'm not paranoid, I just like not to have to frantically find one loaded when I need it. Like when I spotted a coyote in the pasture yesterday. The challenge is keeping them loaded. ;)

gym
April 28, 2011, 10:08 AM
By the time I read How long.

Murphy4570
April 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
1-2 minutes.

Go upstairs, grab shotgun. Fumble around with shotgun shell box, spill shells all over my bed. Fumble 6 shells into the magazine, rack the slide.

Ready!

M2 Carbine
April 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
Go upstairs, grab shotgun. Fumble around with shotgun shell box, spill shells all over my bed. Fumble 6 shells into the magazine, rack the slide.

A man that has a realistic view of the situation.:D

69Rebel
April 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
Alligator one, alligator two....oh, got it!:D

droptoptrk
April 28, 2011, 11:57 AM
As I live in the Peoples Republik of Kaifornia (read no issue) and work on a military base (read no firearms in vehicles), it will take me about forty minutes to get home and get it out of the safe. So if anyone is going to attack myself or my family, could you make an appointment? I need to get ready. God I hate this state.

Single Action Six
April 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
Most of the time I have ready/somewhat instant access to my SD firearm(s) in one way, shape or form.. but if I'm sleeping, it'll take me a couple/few more seconds to kinda wake up before I get them. Your mileage may very.

Single Action Six

straybullet
April 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Just timed from laying down: 6 seconds, from kitchen or living room (If not on my side): 8-10 seconds.

doc540
April 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
personally about 3-3.5 seconds to draw, aim, and fire

at home: upstairs or downstairs about 4-5 sec

car: about 2-3sec

MtnSpur
April 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
Starting right now, how long does it take for you to have a loaded gun in your hands, GO!

It took me 2.5 seconds. If someone were kicking down your door how long would it take?

Less than 1 second. Computer printer to the right and slightly forward of my laptop. Carry weapon resting on printer.

JoeMal
April 28, 2011, 01:31 PM
In the office, as I am now, about 2 seconds. Right behind the closet door to my 6

Kleanbore
April 28, 2011, 01:48 PM
If one does not have a firearm on his or her person, the time to acquire one will depend upon three things:

where one happens to be;
where the firearm is kept; and
whether there is a threat between those locations.

SonofGilnockie89
April 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
I imagine it would be about a forty second sprint to my car (which by state law cannot be parked on campus if I have a firearm in it) to retrieve my Glock 23 and the three spare mags I keep.

It stays in my Blackhawk Serpa CQC virtually everywhere else, including home. As soon as I walk through the door, I retrieve my Remington 870 from the safe and prop it up agianst the wall in whatever room I'm in.

SO: At school: 45 seconds to a minute.
Anywhere else: however long it takes to draw it from my holster.

SonofGilnockie89
April 28, 2011, 01:59 PM
A man that has a realistic view of the situation.:D
That's why mine stays loaded and unchambered =)

dmancornell
April 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
About 10 minutes to drive home from work. Company policy.

Some coworkers keep a gun in their car but the parking lot is private property and I don't feel like risking my job. I make do with a pocket knife until I get home.

Owen Sparks
April 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
When I made the original post I assumed that since you were playing on the computer that you were at home rather than preforming surgery, at school or working on a military base where you can't have a gun. If someone is kicking down your door while you are at work you are not in any physical danger. Scratch that, on second thought Fort Hood is a military base and plenty of people have been shot at school.

I have a .44 Special revolver stached under the desk and it took me about two and a half seconds to grab it and get it pointed towards the door.

Waterborne
April 28, 2011, 03:25 PM
Two seconds to grab the pistol on my belt. About five to grab the shotgun on the other side of the office.

DAdams
April 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
When working from home I can have a number of items in a jiff. Desk drawer, night stand etc. All are loaded and with rounds in the chamber or cylinder. No kids, no Grandkids.

When traveling for pleasure, most of the time in a jiff for reciprocity States. When working, that depends. If by car or if the destination requires air travel. When flying I have a folding pocket knife waiting at the other end in the checked bag. On the plane it's a Sharpie.

It's that 40% of the time that, I'm concerned about.

bigalexe
April 28, 2011, 04:21 PM
40 minutes to drive home :D

Ignition Override
April 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
It won't matter, as we're not in the jewelry or gold coin business. Our neighborhood is on the very edge of the metro area and all houses have new security systems.
Burglars etc watch for you to leave. It happened to in '99 at about 8:00 PM (2nd week in Dec.) in east Memphis.

They had yanked the thick power cable from the front of the house.
Gone for just one hour, our house was the only house which was dark, so we waited for MLGW at a neighbor's house.
Pro burglars go directly to the master bedroom for "her" jewelry (always there) and any handguns, maybe a widescreen tv.

We had a garage, but they watch houses with car ports much more, and often go in about 10:00 AM when people go to work/school.

Ignition Override
April 28, 2011, 04:31 PM
Please excuse the double. My driver's (etc) license does not include computers.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 28, 2011, 04:38 PM
Less than five seconds.

clamman
April 28, 2011, 04:42 PM
About 2 seconds tops. It's right below the monitor in the cash drawer.

SimplyChad
April 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
Less then a second it was already in my lap. If I'm at work in the armsroom bout 7 sec. if I'm not about 4 min to open the safes and cages.

joeq
April 28, 2011, 08:14 PM
About 2 seconds for my pistol from my IWB holster. Fast enough draw for me, I've never used a stopwatch to actually measure. About 4 seconds and I can have a 12 gauge or an Ar-15. I live by myself in a small apartment so I don't have any kids around. I can be very well armed in a very short time.

AK kind of guy
April 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
2 second maybe its on the table beside me.

ADKWOODSMAN
April 28, 2011, 08:17 PM
About 6 seconds 3 of those seconds to shove in the speedloader!

jfdavis58
April 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
In 2.5 seconds I can put four rounds in the air--all on paper at 15 yards/3 of 4 95% of the time at 25 yards. Two and a half seconds is a long time if you practice regularly. Gun sits on hip 99% of my waking time; next to the bed when I sleep.

NMGonzo
April 28, 2011, 08:40 PM
Less than 2 seconds.

230therapy
April 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
I figure about a half second to achieve a grip on the gun.

Lord Teapot
April 28, 2011, 09:36 PM
less than a second, nothing says safety like a loaded gun.

Blackbeard
April 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
From my home office to the bedroom, open the MiniVault and rack slide -- about 10 seconds flat.

Sauer Grapes
April 28, 2011, 10:47 PM

Depends on traffic and if I have to go thru a school zone.....lol

FAS1
April 29, 2011, 09:15 AM
Always have a gun on me when awake so just a few seconds from pocket or IWB holster.

If asleep, not much longer since it is right next to my pillow. With just a little practice it only takes a few seconds to open the lock, even in total darkness. Then the gun is presented to you in the exact same place every time so you never fumble for your gun.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/20955_248042196874_247921546874_3701196_3656931_n.jpg

WardenWolf
April 29, 2011, 09:27 AM
About 1 second to grab my pistol from my side. I've practiced with it extensively. When I'm in bed, it's sitting on the table next to the bed in my IWB holster. I can grab it, the holster drops free, and it's ready to go.

HGUNHNTR
April 29, 2011, 09:31 AM
Well under two seconds to remove it from the holster and get on target.

hiker44
April 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
Three seconds or less. 24/7

sonick808
April 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
a second , two tops

coloradokevin
April 29, 2011, 02:09 PM
Depends. From where I sit right now, probably 3 seconds. From my bed at night, it's just 12 inches away.

Rail Driver
April 29, 2011, 02:14 PM
under 1 second. It's on my hip cocked and locked.

LawScholar
April 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
I'm at college, so it's about a five minute drive/ten minute walk to the campus police department, where I can check out my guns.

Makes me sick.

At home, I can access revolvers, battle rifles, duty pistols, and shotguns all in ~5-30 seconds.

xfyrfiter
April 29, 2011, 02:27 PM
If at home less than 5 sec. always loaded and chambered with sd guns.

Guardrail
April 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
There are some real bad ass quick draw cowboys around this site. I'll bet it takes more than a second to register danger and the brain to tell the hand to reach for the pistol. I'm just saying...

Guardrail

btg3
April 29, 2011, 03:10 PM
^^^^
More justification for early warning devices such as:
--motion detectors
--dog
--gravel driveway
--reinforced anti-kick doors

For good HD and SD, it's more about the layers and less about the speed of getting a gun. Many situations for which the outcome was determined by speed of access to a firearm did so unneccessarily. That said, it's on my hip.

dodgensince74
April 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
just timing myself to see how long it would take me, I would guess that it would take about 5-10 seconds to have the gun up and pointed, but only if I knew I was timing myself and depending on which gun I went for.

in a real life home invasion situation I am sure I would probably have to add at least 5-10 seconds on to that time. I would estimate that it would take that extra time for the brain to register the situation and for my body to react to it.

Its not the same knowing you are just checking yourself to see how long it will take you to go from just sitting/standing there to actually having a weapon in your hand ready to defend yourself as it is when confronted with the real thing.
I would bet that very few here(including myself) would be able to instantly react by reaching for or running for your weapon the very exact second the door got kicked in.

Nushif
April 29, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'd have to ... swivel my chair left, drop a magazine, insert a new one and .. rack the slide. About four seconds?

jonmerritt
April 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
Always one loaded and ready to go within a few inches of my hands anywhere I sit, positioned for a fast grab and bring to bear in very little time. If I am not sitting, or wearing one, add a half a second. 2 to 5 seconds is a long time.
And some think that less than a second is pushing it? I think not. It's called practice and training. If a thug comes busting through your front door, with the intent of shooting anything that moves, and you take 3 to 5 seconds, you are now a statistic in the morning paper. At home is where you are most vulnerable, you should be even more ready to protect you and yours at home than anywhere else.

clutch
April 29, 2011, 10:34 PM
Lucky me, just a few seconds and the door of this hotel room looks like it will take a few kicks so I'm cool.

Clutch

Tomcat47
April 29, 2011, 10:50 PM
^^ Good Point Above ^^ (The registration of the attack that is)

Thats why ADT! My Doors all Give Audible Signal when opened (even starting to be opened)

But Best is CeeCee Alarm ( Longhaired Dacshund ) which goes off to footsteps on porch..friend or foe!

With that out of the way,

38 Revolver on lamp table loaded 3 shot shells 3 hydrashok. 1 sec?
If Dog or ADT Goes off I pick up 38!

30-30 Marlin aprox. 3 seconds away!

Wife in bedroom watching TV with 9 Shot Taurus 22 laying beside her

and my 9mm about 3 seconds away.

offroader1006
April 30, 2011, 12:04 AM
But Best is CeeCee Alarm ( Longhaired Dacshund ) which goes off to footsteps on porch..friend or foe!

my shorthaired mini dachshund is good for the same. People laugh at how effective of a guard dog she could be. I tell them, "All she has to do is wake me up."

Nushif
April 30, 2011, 12:41 AM
I tell them, "All she has to do is wake me up."

Yay! We have 1/2 of the Tibetan Alarm System!

We have a Lhasa Apso and a Shi-Tzu and the lot of them are loud enough to wake me and give me plenty of time to reach my Mossberg 500.
Now all I have to do is hope that a Mossberg 500 is equal to a Tibetan Mastiff.

Owen Sparks
April 30, 2011, 01:34 AM
I have a very alert little Rat Terrier. She sleeps in the bed with us and goes off at the slightest odd noise. She does not need to be big enough to rip a bad guys throat out, all she has to do is wake up the crazy man with the shotgun.

TexasBill
April 30, 2011, 05:09 AM
Seems to run between 0.7 and 0.9 seconds for the PX4 on my hip. Can run up to 1.8 seconds with some holsters (memo to self: get better holsters). Add reaction time and I still have a gun in my hand in 2-3 seconds.

Some of you folks may want to re-think your times. To get my closest long gun, a Beretta CX4 that I keep unloaded, into action, it takes about 22.5 seconds from sitting at my desk to dig the safe keys out of my pocket, unlock the safe, pull out the loaded 20-round magazine, insert it into the gun and chamber a round. And that's with me controlling everything - no surprise, no response time, etc. And the CX4 is with the other rifles next to my desk. I have a pretty good idea that in a real SHTF situation, my time would be 30 seconds or more.

22.5 seconds is a long time in a home invasion scenario.

chevyman097
April 30, 2011, 09:46 AM
Well if im at home I usually have one on my person or withing a few seconds reach. If im at work, unfortunately I have to leave the third floor and proceed to the parking garage. If in a hurry a couple of minutes, but about 5 minutes if im just strolling along.

mgkdrgn
April 30, 2011, 11:43 AM
as long as it take for me to reach in my pocket :evil:

Swiftyjuan
April 30, 2011, 12:06 PM
The Glock 23 is laying just to the right of the mouse (the computer mouse), and I have ADT and a watch cat. The cat alerts when anyone is approaching the house (I don't know how she does it, must have super hearing). She just wants to be petted, but she makes a great first alert tool! The Winchester Defender is about 5 seconds away.:D

Jonah71
April 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
The G 26 doesn't take up much room on my desk. If it fails for some reason I most likely wouldn't have much time to reach for the S&W Mod. 36 in the desk drawer or the G 23 on my hip.

Karl Hungus
April 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
0.00 seconds. I have a loaded, cocked Redhawk in my left hand aimed at the only door to the room (I don't believe in windows) as I type this (with my right hand).

gym
May 2, 2011, 10:46 AM
Just as a side note your alarm has a "chime" that when activated goes ding ding, every time an alarmed door or window is opened. You get used to it so it doesn't bother you after a day or two. My mother used to open windows and doors all the time when she was here, constatnlly ecposing the envelope I created, but at least I knew a door or window was now no longer secure, and could go with hand in pocket to see if she did it again.
They don't listen at 90. Just about every alarm made in the past 20 years has this feature, lool at the keypad, enter your code and hit the button that says chime, it's on now. To remove it just do it again.

Arkansas Paul
May 2, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm at school, so about 45 minutes.

hogcowboy
May 2, 2011, 11:05 AM
In the home, about 5 seconds. Any other place, already have it.

22-rimfire
May 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
Depends on what room I am in when the breakin starts. But certainly under 30 seconds from any point in my home.

merlinfire
May 2, 2011, 12:14 PM
At home at the pc, about 3 or 4 seconds, which seems like an eternity.

In bed, about 1.5 seconds.

At work, about 55 minutes. I really need to get that CCW permit....

galena
May 2, 2011, 02:15 PM
Faster than I can dial 911 on speed dial.

David4516
May 2, 2011, 03:51 PM
Right now? As I work on a military installation I'd have to go home to get a firearm. I do however have a BB gun in my car, a daisy. I might be able to put out somebody's eye.

At home, downstairs I have a Star Model A 9mm Largo, loaded mag but empty chamber. Could probably get to it and chamber a round within 10 seconds from anywhere downstairs.

Upstairs there is a Remington 870 20ga, again shells in the mag but emtpy chamber. Again, about 10 seconds to get to it and chamber a round, from anywhere on the second floor.

However, at night, if suddenly awakened by intruder(s), I think it would take me longer. I'd have to fumble around to find my glasses first (don't sleep with them on LOL), roll out of bed, get shotgun, chamber round. I'm guessing 20 to 30 seconds before I have everything I need, and have woken up enough.

modifiedbrowning
May 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
Three pistols within arms reach.
15 feet to 12 gauge shotgun.
20 feet to AR 15
Small apartment.

Warrior Honey
May 2, 2011, 09:51 PM
That's, uh, classified...

strm_trpr
May 2, 2011, 11:53 PM
about 15 seconds to go upstairs and open the pistol safe for the g23 and about 15 seconds to go downstairs to the safe for anything else. Before my son was born it would have been seconds to pick up whatever was sitting out near me.

If i am working it is just a quick draw away.

longspurr
May 3, 2011, 10:10 PM
one thousand one, one thousand 2, one thousand 3, one thousand 4

Either I have a loaded gun in hand, or I stubbed my toe and I'm busy cursing!

Legionnaire
May 4, 2011, 08:12 AM
Not long.

Claude Clay
May 4, 2011, 04:48 PM
i can kill you with my brain

darn but i don't remember what movie that is from. but if i need to use a gun, its as fast as opening a draw or getting to one. 2 to 10 seconds

kennyshank
May 4, 2011, 06:27 PM
WOW !! I never would have thought this, BUT..... Handgun is lying on desk to my right, (I'm right handed), It is already pointed at the door. In less than 1 second, I can be in position to start shooting, (no sight picture yet at that point) But I could shoot as I aquire. Problem ? it's not loaded right now, The mag. is on the table to my left. It takes me over 4 seconds to insert the mag and be in the same position because I have to point the gun to my left (away fron the door) to insert the mag, insert it, and then point back at the door. I didn't know that I couln't insert the mag with the gun pointing away from me like that. Even knowing that I'm "testing" myself I fumble with the mag horribly if I don't point it to my left. I just learned something, I always figured I could pop in a mag in "no time".

Rexster
May 4, 2011, 07:45 PM
A second or two to the house-carry SP101, two to three seconds to the personally-owned duty 870, and five to six seconds to reach my duty belt containing a P229 and two spare mags, or to my Safepacker with a P229 and a spare mag, or to a 4" S&W Model 19-5.

The dogs would probably give me enough warning to reach the farthest of these weapons, don my issued body armor, and dial 911 before an intruder could get to this room.

By "house carry" SP101, I mean the snubby that goes everywhere with me, regardless of what else I am carrying. At the moment, it is in house-carry mode, sitting next to me. Before I sat down, it was in a pocket, and now it is inches away from me. When I walk to the kitchen in a moment, it will go back into a pocket. With different pants, it stays in the pocket when I sit.

Some might think this is too high of a level of preparedness to maintain all the time. Well, my neighbors know where to run if something bad is happening, that being my house. I swore an oath to respond in emergencies. Fortunately, I live in a quiet neighborhood, so emergencies are rare, and life is not stressful. Even so, I never want to be out of reach of a substantial weapon. My hands are small enough that an SP101 is a substantial weapon.

I can have my hands on a rifle within a minute, more or less.

outlook ranch
May 4, 2011, 07:47 PM
2 Seconds flat. Always loaded and charged. They ain't worth spit if one ain't in the tube/cylinder.

Rexster
May 4, 2011, 07:50 PM
After looking at some of the posts, I scratch my head and wonder about this obsession with unloading one's weapons when at home. My rifles do not stay loaded, and guns that are stored away are unloaded, but my working guns stay loaded. I understand the need to keep loaded weapons out of children's hands; when my son was young, I quite simply keep a snubby pocketed all of the time, and kept the other weapons in various stages of locked-down security.

AWorthyOpponent
May 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
2 seconds. Its on the desk, next to the keyboard.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 4, 2011, 09:16 PM
Mine is on my hip and loaded so I'm thinking less than a second to draw plus two spare mags also on my hip.

ghostwriter
May 4, 2011, 10:17 PM
this velco hold down on my shoulder rig is pretty tough (still new), so I'm guessing 3-5 seconds. If it's hanging on the kitchen chair, give me about 10 seconds tops. If it's somewhere else, the gun cabinet is only 4 steps past the kitchen and that model 12 with a 18-1/4" barrel (always loaded) is seconds past the kitchen.

Headless
May 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
~ 3 seconds.

armsmaster270
May 5, 2011, 12:14 AM
Last time I timed it 1.37seconds

animator
May 5, 2011, 12:29 AM
Have one on the computer desk as I type, so it would be less than a second. Keep one on the night stand, so I'm guessing it would take less than a second to grab, but realistically, would take a few seconds for situational awareness to kick in if I had been asleep.

Bathroom might take a second or two to unholster the carry gun while deucing it. Sitting on the couch watching TV, it might take maybe a second or two to reach the AR, shotgun, or whatever other rifle I felt like pulling out of the safe that evening. Kitchen would take a second or two to walk over to the pantry where an AK lives.

When I'm out working in the garage, there's usually something out there with me, be it a rifle, shotgun, or handgun. When in the gun room, well, that one's a no-brainer.

Longest it would take would be while driving. I don't keep a gun in the car, other than what I'm carrying, and drawing from a seated position in a vehicle is something I am not fast at.

jcwit
May 5, 2011, 01:03 AM
At present less than 1 second, from any location in the house never more than 2/3 seconds.

Al Thompson
May 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
Pants on, guns on.

:)

jpwilly
May 6, 2011, 12:00 AM
I dialed 911 and they are still not here.

Sevenfaces
May 6, 2011, 04:35 AM
You know some of the replies here elevate people to "gun nut" levels. Is your home in such a dangerous place you can't take a piss without a gun strapped to your hip? I guess some people take the "Better to have it and not need it" way of thinking to different heights...

Nushif
May 6, 2011, 08:47 AM
After looking at some of the posts, I scratch my head and wonder about this obsession with unloading one's weapons when at home.

I do it because at homer in front of my comp is also where I dry fire from.

So I have a full mag sitting next to my gun .... which is also a really good indicator that there's a snap cap in my gun.
If I see no mag -> I *know* it's loaded.
If I see full mag -> Make sure my snap cap is in it before I dry fire. 8)

Ala Dan
May 6, 2011, 09:20 AM
I have never timed it; but I can be armed very quickly, even when the old arthritis acts
up~!

HOWARD J
May 6, 2011, 10:11 AM
1.5 seconds anywhere in the house except the bathroom ( about 4 seconds)

carbuncle
May 6, 2011, 10:56 AM
About 10 seconds from anywhere in my house.

If you enjoyed reading about "How long does it take you to get to a loaded gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!