Moving with your collection

PDA

distra
April 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
Things are looking like a move might be in our near future. I have a medium size collection (relative to the folks on this forum :D) that will need to be moved possibly out of state. How is the best and legal way to accomplish this? I was thinking of packing up my reloading supplies plus loaded ammo for the movers to take and pack the firearms in their original cases taking those with us on the trip. Is there a shipping mechanism I could possibly use to get this collection to another state or is it better to move the firearms myself? Without telling too much, I have several pistols, <15 rifles and shotguns. I would appreciate any information from those experienced in moving with a firearms collection.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving with your collection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gathert
April 28, 2011, 09:26 AM
You would pay waaaaaaay to much to ship everything. Depending on what states you have to go through will dictate what condition the guns need to be in i.e. unloaded with ammo in a separate place. It would be best to unload everything, pack it up, and then drive away as far as I know. Ammo in another car would be best if you could swing it since you already would tons of guns in one car. Don't speed, and you stay under the cops radar.

Sam1911
April 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
Packing the guns yourself and driving them would be the best option. Follow the FOPA rules (firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container) and you may legally pass, directly with only brief stops for gas and such, through any state.

ambidextrous1
April 28, 2011, 09:56 AM
I agree with Sam 1911; that's what I did in my 2003 "Escape from Los Angeles".

I drove to El Paso with firearms in the trunk of my car, left them there in the trunk, in my locked garage, then flew back to pick up my SUV and drive it over here.

Notwithstanding what you may read about "violent border towns", El Paso is one of the safest cities in the USA; but be sure to stay out of Juarez!

I allowed the movers to transport my reloading equipment & firearm acessories, and that was no problem.

GoWolfpack
April 28, 2011, 10:08 AM
Movers will usually not take handguns or ammunition, only long guns. Your rifles and shotguns are probably more secure with the movers then in your car if you're going direct door to door.

Pack handguns, ammunition and reloading supplies into your car in separate boxes and transport per FOPA.

rellascout
April 28, 2011, 11:18 AM
When I moved last year the moving company made it clear they would not move the guns or the ammo. I moved them in my car.

They moved the safe and other gun related items but no guns no ammo. I do not reload but they also stated they would not move the powder or the bullets if I did.

NavyLCDR
April 28, 2011, 11:26 AM
Any mover that does military contracts should move all of your guns and anything without a powder or primer in it, because they have if they are doing a military move.

I had to have the household goods office person come to my house when they refused to pack my empty brass and bullets to tell them it was required to do so.

I also loaded my uhaul trailer myself while the movers were there. The driver said, "I wouldn't put that in that trailer?" I said, "What?" He said, "That propane tank, that's just asking for trouble!" Even though the propane tank was empty.... funny he didn't say anything about 50lbs of gun powder and a few thousand primers.

Like others have said, if you want to take them with you, the guns unloaded and both the guns and the ammo in a locked location separate from the occupants of the vehicle. There is no requirement to separate the ammo from the guns, just both from the occupants.

22-rimfire
April 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
Best choice is to move the firearms and related items yourself if possible. Rent a van, truck, or pull a trailer. Let the movers deal with the normal household stuff. I would also take anything with you that is either valuable or sensitive to damage during the moving process. Things like jewelry, money, important papers, art work, coin collections, etc. would all be transported by me personally. I had movers once throw away gun boxes. That kind of bugged me a lot, but at that time, how do you put a value on that?

oneounceload
April 28, 2011, 12:21 PM
As to the reloading supplies - movers do not take anything flammable or explosive, so primers, powder and loaded ammo go with you.

When I moved 8 years ago, I packed all my long guns in a big box, the manifest showed every gun and serial number, I bought $25,000 worth of insurance (the replacement value). Every seam was sealed with tape and marked so as to show if it had been tampered with. About 10 days later, all my household stuff showed up, including the guns, in perfect condition.

Remember to buy insurance to cover ALL of your goods based on value; otherwise you'll be paid about .60/pound...........(Momma's antique family china is worth more than that)

Oh, and they also moved my safe (empty)

These guys really aren't interested in stealing your stuff - they want to get from A to B as fast as possible as they get paid by the mile, not by the hour

22-rimfire
April 28, 2011, 01:46 PM
For the most part, problems associated with moves happen when you stuff is stored or repacked into another truck at some central moving company location (warehouse) or at the destination if you are not there to supervise the unloading. The company may well be paid by the mile, but the helpers that load and unload are often part-time folks who are paid by the hour. How much you trust people depends on your life's experience.

Flamable or explosive items may not be shipped legally. You obviously can sneak stuff into other boxes, but that is your call.

I have always transported my firearms personally. My last move was about 100 miles and I made a lot of trips back and forth. These days, I would rent a truck even if I have to drive it back to the starting point to pick up my vehicle or whatever.

MtnSpur
April 28, 2011, 02:19 PM
If you plan on using professional movers (United Van Lines, etc) make sure you read all their caveats about what they will NOT pack/transport. We looked into one of the large moving firms on an instate move 3 years ago and their policies were off the chart on what they wouldn't take. We ended up hiring an independent with me transporting all the weapons and ammo in my truck.

GoWolfpack
April 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
What sort of things did you run into that they wouldn't take?

mrbro
April 28, 2011, 02:50 PM
We've gone through a number of moves and handled it a couple ways.

For the times when everything was moved professionally I disassembled everything and placed them into locked footlockers.

When I drove but my stuff was moved professionally I rented a trailer for the things I carried. Firearms, motorcycle, and stereo went with me, everything else with the pros.

When I did it all myself, everything just went into a 22' box truck and the car was rowed behind it.

Wherever you go, I hope the taxes are lower, the snow not so deep, and the political climate is more gun friendly.

distra
April 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I will be moving the firearms myself and I guess I'll just tell my wife I have to shoot up all the powder and primers before we leave and buy new at our new place. :D:D We'll see how that goes over...

MtnSpur
April 28, 2011, 03:00 PM

Anything flammable, garden insecticides, paint and generally anything of a hazardous (ie: Hazmat) nature as I remember. They lost me on flammable and my wife's propensity to have every hazardous poison for insects/weeds and rodents :eek:

The independent dude was not only a heckofalot cheaper he even drove our rider mower up the ramp as the last item before he closed the trailer doors...:D

distra
April 28, 2011, 03:00 PM
mrbro, me too! I'm hoping to get something in the west, possibly TX. We lived there for 5.5yrs BC (before children). Nice, gun friendly, cheaper to live, and yes no snow! Not that I mind the snow, but this past winter was nuts!

mrbro
April 28, 2011, 03:25 PM
Plus they have all these all this smoked pork on the hoof just waiting for you to harvest!

Shadow 7D
April 28, 2011, 03:39 PM
Make sure that they are licenced bonded and insured, talk to a supervisor about the specifics etc. some will want to bump up the estimate (because the can)

And like airlines, if you can't live with out it, you might want to really consider how much you want somebody else to do it.

That said, I had a platoon sergeant that made 10K moving himself, he used the advance to buy a box truck, moved himself, then came back and 'moved' his vehicles taking the family sightseeing and touring the US, and finally sold the box truck at a profit. Not trusting movers was part of it (money was too) and he had antique furniture from his grandparents.

CraigC
April 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
Not a big deal, especially for less than 15 guns. I packed up and moved four years ago with 80 guns and all my reloading equipment & supplies. Pack guns in their original boxes. Bag them if necessary. I managed to get all my components into a few very heavy plastic bins that had to be moved with a hand truck. Just pack everything carefully.

Shadow 7D
April 28, 2011, 04:05 PM
double post

rellascout
April 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
The independent dude was not only a heckofalot cheaper he even drove our rider mower up the ramp as the last item before he closed the trailer doors...

I got you beat on that one. When I moved from VA to WV the company that moved us pulled out the ramps and drove this right into the back of the trailer.....

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/modelpicture.php?id=3626

MtnSpur
April 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
I got you beat on that one. When I moved from VA to WV the company that moved us pulled out the ramps and drove this right into the back of the trailer.....

Yes sir, beat in spades :) I'd seen it done years ago when my company moved us cross country and they drove the Chevy Cavalier up inside the moving van and heck I was impressed with that. :cool: I'm easily amused :D

Big_E
April 28, 2011, 06:48 PM
I moved from CA to ID. I just drove so I packed several of my rifles and pistols on the car with other stuff and headed out. My parents are still holding a few for the next time I drive back.

I would avoid the hassle of shipping it, too much money and idk about the policies some companies have. Plus, I wouldn't trust the movers. Depends on your collection though. If its pretty large and you don't have the room in your car/truck I would see about renting a Uhaul or horse trailer. You didn't specify how many long guns or pistols you have.

I think it is safer in your hands. If you have to stop a hotel/motel overnight I would be a little concerned leaving the collection in your vehicle or moving it into a hotel room. Good luck with the move.

Vonderek
April 28, 2011, 07:51 PM
There is no way in heck I would trust movers to move anything of value besides furniture and appliances. Don't let anything out of your control you aren't willing to lose.

Tomcat47
April 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
I moved from NC To SC I just moved the gun safe into the back of the Movimg Truck! I wrapped everything in blankets and put pillows in between, packed it tight so no moving around.

And...... Getting ready to reverse that process, time is aproaching to go home and spoil my aging parents! :)

Only now the Gun safe is bigger and Heavier! :)

rellascout
April 28, 2011, 08:13 PM
Yes sir, beat in spades I'd seen it done years ago when my company moved us cross country and they drove the Chevy Cavalier up inside the moving van and heck I was impressed with that. I'm easily amused

The guy who moved me was a 2nd gen truck owner/mover. He said as a kid he saw his day stack 2 911 Porsches in the back of a rig. :what:

I have to say watching them put it in the truck made me nervous.

There is no way in heck I would trust movers to move anything of value besides furniture and appliances. Don't let anything out of your control you aren't willing to lose.

It all depends on the company. The one that moved us moves a lot of Corp Exec, sports clebs & musician from the Nashville area. They were hired by my wifes company and we will be requesting the same crew the next time we move. Like all things its all about the company you choose.

oneounceload
April 28, 2011, 10:36 PM

Think of all the nasty stuff in your garage, under the kitchen sink, and in your laundry room ONE are allowed. Got any power tools with small engines like a lawnmower, blower, etc? nope, unless you can prove ALL fluids have been completely drained, no charcoal or lighter fluid, nothing perishable, flammable, explosive, etc.......

Shadow 7D
April 29, 2011, 12:06 AM
Ah...
yes, HAZMAT

Look up excluded amounts and ORM-D,
after all, according to what you are implying
we would all need a Hazmat endorsement on our licenses to drive home from the supermarket...

1911 guy
April 29, 2011, 08:29 AM
Maintain personal control of all firearms at all times in the process. Moving can be hectic and you don't want anything to get misplaced in the confusion. I am in the process of packing things up for a move myself. All my guns, except for a CCW pistol and HD shotgun are currently residing at a nearby (to the new house) uncles house to be moved in at my leisure after the confusion has stopped.

GoWolfpack
April 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
I've been on both sides of this moving other people on personal, local, and corporate moves, had professionals move my stuff and moved myself.

The reason certain things are excluded is they require hazmat endorsements and papers to transport that most moving companies don't have. If they get caught transporting something as simple as a full propane tank they could lose their license and by extension their livelihood. I wouldn't carry your stinking kitchen cleaners either at the risk of my job. I'd rather give you $20 to buy new ones for your new house.

A well established moving service will have an established inventory and claims process to handle problems with your move. The movers will inventory everything they take and you should sign at origin and destination certifying the inventory is complete and everything is there. You could make a list of your guns with serial numbers included and compare it to the inventory they create at origin when you sign there, then unpack your guns at destination and check them before you sign off on delivery. If anything is missing or broken you can file a claim with the claims department and it'll be handled by a company with a national reputation.

It all depends on the company. The one that moved us moves a lot of Corp Exec, sports clebs & musician from the Nashville area. They were hired by my wifes company and we will be requesting the same crew the next time we move. Like all things its all about the company you choose.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. In many cases the same people work for many different companies on a day to day basis. Whoever has work from one day to the next is the company they work for. They work for owner/operators for cash under the table and sometimes do pretty well for themselves, at least over the summer. The better workers are hired full time by subcontractors that only work for one company. I don't know of any way to control who comes to you at scheduling time. You might see if you could request a contractor who works out of a warehouse instead of a regional or national driver.

On a happier note, we once put a Pontiac Montana minivan into a 40' shipping container to go to Europe. Up the ramps into a lower straight truck, then across the ramps from the straight truck to the can. Nerve wracking just to watch. I never saw anyone double stack cars, but I've heard it's not that hard, just time consuming and not the best use of space. Movers don't make much money hauling cars unless the trailer isn't full anyway. Not worth the weight for the space they take up if there's a chance of filling that space with another load or something more dense.

nwilliams
April 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
Pack your collection into your vehicle and drive. Make sure your guns are in cases and ammo is separate and not easily accessible.

I'm actually going to move from NM back to Maine in either July or August and I plan to drive back with all my guns and I'm not worried about it in the least, I've driven across country with all my guns so many times over the years that it doesn't even phase me anymore.

At one time I spent a good portion of the year in Arizona and about four months of the year in Maine and would drive between the two. I made the trip across country at least ten times with a very large collection of guns and never had any issues. I was pulled over a couple of time but never questioned about transporting guns. I always had to travel through a couple of gun hostile States but I would simple stay on the highway the whole way.

The truth is if your guns are safely stowed, unloaded and there is no ammo your chances of running into any problems are very slim. You are moving from one State to another and bringing your possessions with you, if some of these possessions include firearms then it seems to me that you easily fall into the peaceable journey category and your actions are easily defensible if questioned, just stay on the highway as you pass through gun hostile States and you should be fine.

Good luck with your move and don't panic about bringing your guns with you.

distra
July 4, 2012, 12:08 AM
After a year so, it seems the move is on this summer. I'm planning on renting a Uhaul trailer to transport some personal items as well as the collection plus powered, primers and loaded ammo. Those of you with recent experience, did the movers take bullet heads and brass or should I plan to do that myself? This is nerve racking to say the least...:eek:

leadcounsel
July 4, 2012, 03:32 AM
Movers won't take explosives, ammo, etc.

Look into renting a POD if you have enought stuff to justify the expense (2+ bedroom home). They are incredibly affordable and convenient. You can load a lot of stuff in one, and they are safe and reliable in my experience.

Just ensure that you use expensive locks that can't easily be cut. Load the floor evenly with the heavy stuff on the bottom. Cargo straps/nets across the the tops to prevent shifting.

This is a great option instead of movers, semi-trailers, towing trailers, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving with your collection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!