Open Carry in Texas

PDA

double bogey
April 28, 2011, 03:34 PM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/28/state-committee-approves-open-carry-of-handguns/

Maybe we are finally getting with the program.

If you enjoyed reading about "Open Carry in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nico Testosteros
April 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
It only allows CHL holders to also carry openly. It should allow everyone, except felons, to carry openly.

farson135
April 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
Yes it should allow everyone but one step at a time. Assuming it passes then this is a fantastic first step.

Mike Faires
April 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
Take what you can get, every journey begins with one step. I am sure the thought concerning only CHL holders is that they have already passed the background check and had some training.

azmjs
April 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
In the real west, nobody needs any kind of permit to carry a gun, openly or concealed :)

Which said, I look down on people who carry guns openly in public.

nalioth
April 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
I wish folks'd call this what it is - "licensed open carry".

Calling it "open carry" sends a misleading message.

hogcowboy
April 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
I wish folks'd call this what it is - "licensed open carry".

I'd prefer to have "licensed open carry" as to no open carry.
One step at a time. I just wish it would all happen faster.
The wheels grind ever so slow.

blutarsky
April 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
i think the main effect of this would be to essentially make it so you can't get in (so much) trouble if you accidentally let your cover garment ride up and show your gun without you realizing. right now that's a pretty big no-no. other than that, i'm not sure what this achieves. i mean, if you do carry openly then you'll get everyone's attention since the assumption will be that you're not licensed until you prove you are. indeed, you're inviting a confrontation to prove you can do it.

EDIT: upon re-read of the article it becomes less clear. the committee "...wants to take the concealed part out of concealed handgun licenses. The committee voted 5-3 in favor of a bill that would remove the word concealed from the law that allows Texans to have a handgun license... the law would allow license holders to carry their weapons in plain view wherever they would be allowed to carry a concealed handgun".

interestingly enough, in the article it doesn't explicitly say that this is in-addition-to concealed carry. it does say that the law removes the word concealed. so, first reaction was "hey we get open carry in addition to concealed carry", but by removing the concealed part of the law does it make it so you can't conceal carry and instead must open carry? i can't imagine that'd be the case, but ya never can tell.

clearly some more directly sourced info would be preferable to get clear and definite specifics.

nalioth
April 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
i think the main effect of this would be to essentially make it so you can't get in (so much) trouble if you accidentally let your cover garment ride up and show your gun without you realizing. right now that's a pretty big no-no.Actually, that's a pretty big MYTH.

The law says you have to intentionally expose your CCW to be breaking the law.

Windy days and grabbing the item off the bottom shelf don't count. .

interestingly enough, in the article it doesn't explicitly say that this is in-addition-to concealed carry. it does say that the law removes the word concealed. so, first reaction was "hey we get open carry in addition to concealed carry", but by removing the concealed part of the law does it make it so you can't conceal carry and instead must open carry? i can't imagine that'd be the case, but ya never can tell. It means that if the law passes, a licensee can carry as they wish.

The law isn't being rewritten to include "must be visibly carried" or similar, right?

SimplyChad
April 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Let us pray that it passes. And that this is just the first or many changes.

Walter
April 28, 2011, 11:26 PM
I'm glad to see "open carry" is getting some attention in the "leg." now. I probably won't carry openly often, if
ever, but it is an option we all should have.

I just hope the Texas House gets back on the "Parking Lot" bill, HB681, and gets it passed. That's the bill that allows employees to store their handguns in their car on company owned parking lots without fear of being fired
for it.

We need both these bills passed into law. Now! :cuss:

Walter

azmjs
April 29, 2011, 04:58 PM
One small step toward making Texas a free state :)

Vern Humphrey
April 29, 2011, 05:22 PM
One step at a time -- and when Texas gets open carry, licensed or not, can Arkansas be far behind?

burley
April 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
http://youtu.be/0b6UJsfTAnA

No open carry in Tex? Wow, what happened? How did Texans loose the righht to openly carry a gun and who's responsable? Anyway, I like this guy in the vid.

MattTheHat
April 29, 2011, 07:31 PM

No open carry in Tex? Wow, what happened? How did Texans loose the righht to openly carry a gun and who's responsable? Anyway, I like this guy in the vid.

Yeah, that video makes those in favor of open carry look *really* intelligent. :shaking head

-Matt

Averageman
April 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
Think we might be safer with the 7ft tall crackhead.

burley
April 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIekO108H9c

And these guys?

double bogey
April 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
They will never do away with licenses. They want the revenue stream. I'm doing my renewal class tomorrow.

NMGonzo
April 30, 2011, 05:31 PM
I lived in PA.

Open Carry ... no open land

Moved to TX ... no open land, no open carry.

Moved to NM ... ahhhhhhhhh!!!

Big Boomer
May 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Any updates?

PavePusher
May 10, 2011, 02:36 PM
azmjs wrote:

Ummm... WHY?!

doubleh
May 11, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have always wondered why Texas is regarded so highly as a gun friendly state. It wasn't so long ago that it wasn't really wise to carry a gun in your vehicle. If Texas does grant open carry where are you going to carry it openly? I guess on those high priced hunting leases. :D

EmbarkChief
May 11, 2011, 12:07 PM
doubleh wrote:

I have always wondered why Texas is regarded so highly as a gun friendly state. It wasn't so long ago that it wasn't really wise to carry a gun in your vehicle. If Texas does grant open carry where are you going to carry it openly? I guess on those high priced hunting leases.

You can already open carry on private property now (with the owners permission if applicable). So I guess to answer your question, Texans would get to openly carry in more places than they already do.

doubleh
May 11, 2011, 08:16 PM
Since you can carry openly on private property with permission now how will it increase the number of places you can carry since Texas is almost totally private property? You would still have to have the owner's permission just like you do now. I don't see where you are going to gain a thing you don't already have.

EmbarkChief
May 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
It's my understanding that open carry legislation will apply to "public" places. I do admit that I have not been following the debate so I am not certain of the details.

MachIVshooter
May 12, 2011, 01:24 PM
I lived in PA.

Open Carry ... no open land

Moved to TX ... no open land, no open carry.

Moved to NM ... ahhhhhhhhh!!!

That's funny. I have noticed that Texas is almost 100% private land.

The no open carry and force of law "no gun signs" have always struck me as strange for such a conservative and otherwise gun friendly state.

Here in CO, despite the alarming concentration of anti's in major metro areas, we still have unrestricted OC (except Denver), lots of public land, and "no gun" signs on businesses may as well be toilet paper.

UpTheIrons
May 12, 2011, 03:26 PM

No open carry in Tex? Wow, what happened? How did Texans loose the righht to openly carry a gun and who's responsable?
You can thank Reconstruction for that.

The state's constitution was rewritten in such a way that the legislature got to write all gun laws so that gun freedom was very limited when one wasn't on private property.

It wasn't until 1996 that sanity prevailed and Concealed Carry was passed.
It wasn't until 2009 that the Motorist Protection Act passed, and one could keep a handgun concealed in one's vehicle (without a CHL) without proving that you were "traveling".
Hopefully, in 2011, the Parking Lot Bill and the Campus Carry Bill will pass (we're SO close!).
Open Carry will frankly have to wait until 2013. It will not get out of the Calendars Committee this session. Heck, the only way Campus Carry is going to pass is as an amendment to another bill - the House version of CC is also stuck in the Calendars Committee.

General Geoff
May 12, 2011, 05:22 PM
Just so everyone's clear, only the open carry of handguns is banned in Texas.

Long gun open carry (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=46292) is still perfectly legit. :D

(And yes, I know that's a FAL, not a shotgun, as the submitter erroneously thought)

patmetz
November 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm glad to see "open carry" is getting some attention in the "leg." now. I probably won't carry openly often, if
ever, but it is an option we all should have.

I just hope the Texas House gets back on the "Parking Lot" bill, HB681, and gets it passed. That's the bill that allows employees to store their handguns in their car on company owned parking lots without fear of being fired
for it.

We need both these bills passed into law. Now! :cuss:

Walter
http://www.journals.house.state.tx.us/hjrnl/82r/pdf/82RDAY67FINAL.PDF#page=44

Your prayers answered. it took 6 months though

Texas SB 321

Sky
November 26, 2011, 01:33 PM
Open carry has other meanings to me besides walking around with you weapon proudly displayed. I would not carry openly even if I could but that is a personal tactical choice on my part. I think it would be nice to have the law if it protects CCW from accidentally exposing their weapon and being dinged for not concealing...We will see what comes of the Bill....thanks for posting.

verge
November 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
Texas CC law does not penalize for accidental exposure. Most of the time if it is noticed by aLEO you will politely be told to cover.

Steve Raacke
November 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
It's always interesting when someone tells those of us who advocate Open Carry "This isn't Texas".
Duh, in Texas we would not be allowed to OC. Most people who don't live there assume that Texans Open Carry everywhere.

Steve,
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)

doubleh
November 27, 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm from Texas originally. I can't understand why Texas is held up to be the ideal place to be a gun owner. Lots of state are far more firearm friendly than Texas and actually have land where you can use them at no cost.

Texas Gun Person
November 27, 2011, 01:51 PM
Not our fault all the land was sold/given away back in the day to get people to move here. :( At one point I believe Texas had no public land at all. Now it's around... 2% I think.

Mainsail
November 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
I’ll never forget the guy who approached in a Target store when he noticed me carrying openly. He sort of chuckled and said, “This ain’t Texas you know.”

He later insisted open carry was illegal in Arizona, and he knew because he used to live there.

hermannr
November 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
In the real west, nobody needs any kind of permit to carry a gun, openly or concealed :)

That is fine, I look down on those that want to hide their carry in shame of it being seen. They have no guts, only fears.

TIMC
November 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
That is fine, I look down on those that want to hide their carry in shame of it being seen. They have no guts, only fears.

If it does go into law I will still conceal my handgun; think of it how you will but to me its not hiding it in shame it is gaining an advantage if needed.

All is fair in a gun fight!

jahwarrior
November 28, 2011, 08:36 AM
azmjs said:
I look down on people who carry guns openly in public.

that's funny, i look down on people who look down on people exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms. :rolleyes:

it's pretty funny how TX gun laws aren't as awesome as you'd think they'd be. i can't tell you how many times i had some idiot tell me, "why ya gotta carry that thing out in public like that? this ain't Texas!"

yeah, this ain't Texas. thankfully. i can carry wherever, and however, i choose.

The Sarge
November 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
I do not speak for all Texans. I can share far and away many Texans feel as I on this subject.
The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with open carry. The problem is the "RAMBO'S" who want to show off they have a gun. It hurts all of us. Gives the anti's more ammo. Knuckleheads who buy a surplus cop car and run around like they are Special Ops or something.:banghead:
We carry concealed and are protected and postured for quick and effective self defense. We exercise our constitutional rights this way. I do not feel , in anyway, slighted, or having my rights infringed upon by carrying concealed.

NavyLCDR
November 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
I do not feel , in anyway, slighted, or having my rights infringed upon by carrying concealed.

Nor should you. Carrying concealed does not violate or infringe upon anybody's rights. Having to pay the government for permission in order to carry a gun by the only method that government allows does infringe upon the right to self defense, whether or not you agree with open carry.

The problem is the "RAMBO'S" who want to show off they have a gun. It hurts all of us. Gives the anti's more ammo. Knuckleheads who buy a surplus cop car and run around like they are Special Ops or something.

Respectfully, the "RAMBO'S" who want to show off they have a gun hurt the pro-2A movement less than people who profess to be "pro-2A" and make childish and rediculous statements about fellow gun carriers. Attacks from outside the group cause far less damage to the group as a whole than attacks from within the group do.

It's funny how the huge majority of anti-open sentiment comes from people who live in restrictive states who have never open carried during a normal day in their life.

There are only very small differences in the person who open carries v. the person who conceals. The person who open carriers tucks their shirt in behind the gun, the person who conceales wears their shirt over the gun.

The person who open carries hopes that a criminal evaluating potential victims will see the gun and simply allow the armed target to leave, or that the criminal will go down the street one block and choose one of the remaining 99% of the population who do not appear to be armed because the possibility of getting shot far outweighs any benifit gained from attacking the armed person given the huge percentage of the population who do not show the ability to shoot the criminal. The person who conceals hopes that they will be able to counter-attack effectively enough to defend against a criminal who already has the upper hand and has already begun the attack.

It's funny how many times the open carrier is associated with the "wild west" when, in reality, the open carrier hopes his gun will dissuade the criminal by simply remaining in the holster, whereas the concealed carrier is more likely to have to play quick draw gunfighter against a criminal who has already attacked.

jahwarrior
November 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with open carry. The problem is the "RAMBO'S" who want to show off they have a gun. It hurts all of us. Gives the anti's more ammo. Knuckleheads who buy a surplus cop car and run around like they are Special Ops or something

i drive a minivan; i must be doing the Rambo thing wrong. :(

the Second Amendment has nothing to do with concealed carry either. it has nothing to do with any method of carry. it doesn't say, "The right to bear concealed arms shall not be infringed." the problem isn't real or imagines Rambos, it's with people like you; you do more harm than good to gun rights. you are the problem; either you support the right to carry, or you don't. you're as bad as the Fudds who say there's no reason anyone should own an AK47 or AR15, since they're not hunting rifles. they don't support gun rights either. people like them, and you, are who's giving the anti-movement the ammuntion they need. all they need to hear is a gun owner taking their side, and all of a sudden we have assault weapons bans, and other various gun control laws passed, all with the blessing of gun owners.

do us a favor, and cancel your NRA/GOA/SAF membership, sell your guns, and join the Brady Campaign/Ceasefire.

NavyLCDR
November 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
i drive a minivan; i must be doing the Rambo thing wrong.

It's not what you drive. It's what you carry....

http://operatorchan.org/v/arch/src/v31662_Minivan--9750.jpg

Dang, that looks a lot like a Washington license plate! :D

CONNEX 3300
November 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with open carry Does it say The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed provided that the weapon is concealed at the direction gun owners State of residence?

I am not from Texas, but I do have many friends in different parts of the state. All of them support open carry. I personally will not open carry, as I do not want to draw attention to myself. But just because You and I do not open carry does not mean that we should stand by and let a constitutional right be thrown aside.

I personally do not have anything to hide from the police. So should I support legislation allowing the police to search houses and eavesdrop at will without a warrant? NO. We shouldn't let personal whims influence our opinion of the freedoms we have in this country.

Vern Humphrey
November 28, 2011, 03:39 PM
The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with open carry.
What part of "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

Mainsail
November 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
The problem is the "RAMBO'S" who want to show off they have a gun.

Your problem is you walk around with your gun hidden in hopes of whipping it out like Dirty Harry and killing someone.

Yeah, makes as much sense. :rolleyes:

snakeman
November 28, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm all for the option to open carry. It will make carrying a proper gun easier during the summer. I would rather get odd looks for carrying my 357 with the grip sticking out of my pants than get hacked to death by the acid dropping idiot who is impervious to a face full of pocket 22 ammo or a two-fer to the chest from a pocket 380.

JustinJ
November 28, 2011, 04:38 PM
Texas CC law does not penalize for accidental exposure. Most of the time if it is noticed by aLEO you will politely be told to cover.

I believe that to be incorrect given the law allows concealed carry only and clearly defines what that term means. If you know of some legislation to the contrary please cite it. A cop may cut somebody some slack if they accidentally show but i wouldn't count on it.

In regards to open carry this has gone before the legislature before and failed so until it passes i'm not getting my hopes up. Even if it passes i'll probably still carry only concealed but be much less vigilant in ensuring my weapon remains so. I prefer OWB carry but its too risky with current laws.

NavyLCDR
November 28, 2011, 05:39 PM

I believe that to be incorrect given the law allows concealed carry only and clearly defines what that term means. If you know of some legislation to the contrary please cite it. A cop may cut somebody some slack if they accidentally show but i wouldn't count on it.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.035

"Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun."

Notice the highlighted word.

LordDunsany
November 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
In Texas, 'brandishing' or intentional display of a concealed handgun in a manner to intimidate, is a definite no-no. However, when the wind lifts up your shirt and your G19 peeks out, that is unintentional display, and is NOT an offense.

Ron in Texas

Mainsail
November 28, 2011, 09:44 PM
Jerks, keep it high road! :cuss: :fire:

If you're going to quote, please include the emoticons or the context is lost.

My point is that outrageous claims like "Rambo" are every bit as silly and stupid as the one I made.

Dean1818
November 28, 2011, 11:38 PM
Sheeze....... Ive heard this song on the radio a few times......

For me CC allows me to fully excersice my 2A rights.

I have heard many OC'rs claim "No one ever notices and no one ever cares"

I dont have the ability to know what others think. But...... I do believe that there is a time and place for everything.

I do worry about the voting public, how easily they are swayed. I do worry about a Supreme Court who narrowly passed heller 5-4 on gun rights.

If my memory is correct, i beleive that there was an event with OC'rs in Calif, showing off their
Rights to OC............. Net result...... They lost that right in that township.

I hope an over aggressive OC push in Texas doesnt in some time in the future hurt my 2A right to
CC

Navy makes great, thoughtout points on this post and past posts...... But I really doubt Texas adds OC.

As a last note, it seems like people get personally attacked on this board and others if they dont
share the exact same level of whats ok or not ok with ownership of guns.

I respect others opinions, i have mine, you have yours, but 2A is not any more important than 1A.

jahwarrior
November 29, 2011, 07:06 AM
I dont have the ability to know what others think. But...... I do believe that there is a time and place for everything.

I do worry about the voting public, how easily they are swayed. I do worry about a Supreme Court who narrowly passed heller 5-4 on gun rights.

If my memory is correct, i beleive that there was an event with OC'rs in Calif, showing off their
Rights to OC............. Net result...... They lost that right in that township.

I hope an over aggressive OC push in Texas doesnt in some time in the future hurt my 2A right to
CC

As a last note, it seems like people get personally attacked on this board and others if they dont
share the exact same level of whats ok or not ok with ownership of guns.

I respect others opinions, i have mine, you have yours, but 2A is not any more important than 1A.

your memory fails you. open carry was banned in the entire state of CA. but, the reason people open carried in the first place was because getting a permit to carry concealed was up tot discretion of the issuing authority...and most people get refused. the people of CA have themselves to blame, for the most part; they got the government they voted for, including the governor, Jerry Brown.

i seriously doubt that open carry would affect concealed carry in TX. that kind of thinking is just asinine. people had the same fears in WI, that open carry would "ruin it for everyobody!", but instead, they got concealed carry passed.

as far as differing opinions, this is the internet. get over it. The High Road is private property; as such, your First Amendment right to free speech doesn't apply here, anymore than mine does.

Alex23
November 29, 2011, 07:38 AM
I'm in the 'Support Open Carry 100%' but wouldn't do it myself camp. There's no justification for even being able to force CHL on us, let alone ban open carry but then that constitution thang is just something some old white folk from like England or somewhere wrote about 3000 years ago. :)

: "Open Carry might work for your system, I don't know, your mileage may vary - dudes. And I am like totally understanding how everyone has to align their system and tactics to like achieve the objective. Dudes, the only time I use Open Carry is when I go to WalMart on Black Friday because you are in a WROL (Without Rule of Law) situation ok. I kept my load out light because I knew the objectives (a 80" Plasma TV stolen from Saddam's palace and on special for $99 and a solid gold George Foreman lean mean grillin machine) was 3 clicks away. So I just carried my webbing, my Saiga SGL-21, my Glock, and a Ghettoblaster playing Taylor Swift. I secured the Plasma but not the grillin machine (an 8 month pregnant Delta operator zip-lined down and got that first) and extracted back to the tactical Chrysler minivan with minimal casualties".)

NavyLCDR
November 29, 2011, 08:03 AM
For me CC allows me to fully excersice my 2A rights.

Concealed carry certainly does allow you to exercise your 2A rights. The Texas State government does not. If you could exercise your 2A rights in Texas, you would not be required by the government to pay them for their permission to do so. You are exercising a privilege that you paid the government for permission to exercise.

The Sarge
November 29, 2011, 08:50 AM
Your problem is you walk around with your gun hidden in hopes of whipping it out like Dirty Harry and killing someone.

Yeah, makes as much sense.
What an absolutely false, stupid, immature statement. Incredible.

The Sarge
November 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
Respectfully, the "RAMBO'S" who want to show off they have a gun hurt the pro-2A movement less than people who profess to be "pro-2A" and make childish and rediculous statements about fellow gun carriers. Attacks from outside the group cause far less damage to the group as a whole than attacks from within the group do.......
You make many assumptions. We all know the first three letters of that word.
I am all for open carry. I am also not speaking to nor directing my comments/thoughts on "the whole" but to the very few.
I am saying there is a minority of people who go overboard and "flaunt" having a weapon, versus just normally carrying a weapon. Texans all open carry on private land and conceal carry in public mainly because of the actions of a few.
Oh well...the internet......experts and savants abound I guess.

TexasBill
November 29, 2011, 09:33 AM
Governor Perry is dead set against open carry and promised to veto any bill authorizing open carry, either licensed or unlicensed, that the Legislature passed.

Texas' reputation as a gun-friendly state is not deserved, unless you're talking strictly about long guns. A lot of people don't realize that Texas had the strictest law in the nation against carrying a handgun. For 123 years, there were no permits, no exceptions (except for a vaguely worded "traveling" exception that wasn't even a prima facie defense): it was unlawful to carry a handgun unless you were a peace officer, prison guard, certain type of judge, or one of a very limited group of others specifically authorized to carry sidearms. Texas then went to one of the most intrusive and drawn-out licensing processes in the nation; it could legally take up to nine months to get an answer. Things have improved a bit, but Texas is still far from being the most handgun-friendly state in the union. And our legislators and civic leaders sound just like the weenies in the California Assembly.

And everybody still continues to talk about "baby steps" In April of 1872, the Texas Legislature did not take baby steps when they enacted a Jim Crow law prohibiting the carrying of a handgun, why the heck should we have to take baby steps to get our rights restored?

M2 Carbine
November 30, 2011, 09:22 AM
Governor Perry is dead set against open carry and promised to veto any bill authorizing open carry, either licensed or unlicensed, that the Legislature passed.
When did he say this? I haven't heard it.

I am for open carry.

Far too many gun owners think the way to get along with the non gun owning, uninformed, public is to cower in the dark like we are doing something wrong. I can tell you that I have seen for over half a century that that method does not work.
Fear is many times caused by ignorance. The non gun owners fear guns and the people that have them, because all they know about guns is the lies they see on the network news.

We gun owners should be openly educating the public to what guns are and the fact that decent average people, lawfully, carry guns.

Stand up for your gun rights, stop hiding in the dark like you are ashamed of your 2nd Amendment rights.

USAF_Vet
November 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
i drive a minivan; i must be doing the Rambo thing wrong.

Oh, you must be an A-Team wanna-be then, right? :rolleyes: :D

Personally, any way one lawfully chooses to carry a gun is fine with me. If you don't have a concealed carry permit, and open is the only way you can carry (like myself) then so be it. If you want to complain about how I open carry, I'm accepting donations for the required training class and permit fees.
Gun carrying pro 2-A folks squabbling among each other is counterproductive. If we can't agree on what the Right to Keep and Bear Arms means, how are we going to convince the fence sitters? (I'm not worried about convincing anti's, they're hopeless).

dodge
December 2, 2011, 08:05 AM
In Pa there is a lot of open land. It's called state game lands bought by the fees from hunting licenses.

M2 Carbine
December 2, 2011, 10:21 AM
In Pa there is a lot of open land. It's called state game lands bought by the fees from hunting licenses.
Most of the land in Texas being privately owned is a hardship for shooters having no place to shoot.
But the people have broght the problem on themselves.
I use to allow most anyone to shoot on my range, but No more. The American people have become such sue crazy jerks that the land owners can't take the chance of allowing people on their land anymore.

jahwarrior
December 2, 2011, 12:33 PM

that still doesn't mean you can go out and shoot on public land all willy nilly. the only public lands the Game Commission allows people to shoot on are designated SGL ranges, and only if you have a hunting license or a range permit, which they started requiring last year, just to squeeze off a few rounds at a target. if you're out in the woods, and set a target up to shoot at, technically, you're "poaching". and if you shoot at a range without a state permit, you'll be cited. also, shooting a semiautomatic handgun or rifle is also considered "poaching", because the use of semiautomatic firearms in hunting is banned, except for on SGL ranges, which limit you to 6 rounds per handgun, and 3 rounds per rifle.

the other problem with this is, MOST "public" land in PA is gameland. so, no, there's not a lot of open land we can shoot on when we want to. the only other open lands are state parks, which only recently became legal to carry a gun on, and state forests, which, as far as i know, ban target shooting and hunting on.

Sky
December 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u....46.htm#46.035

"Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun."

Notice the highlighted word.

Let us hope it passes providing it does not carry some rider with added restrictions. Accidental displaying around some form of LEO is kinda like Dirty Harry asking, " do you feel lucky today"?

Most of the ATF, ICE, Boarder patrol guys I have come in contact with are good guys just trying to make a living; but even they talk about guys sprung a little to tight. Law says " intentionally" which could be interpreted if it is a windy day and you did not take proper precautions to allow for the possibility of displaying then you intentionally displayed; think lawyerese.....not saying it is right just saying read the law and think about someone who is spring loaded to having you, "make their day".

If you enjoyed reading about "Open Carry in Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!