How could anybody not like the Ruger P95?

PDA

yrltqct
April 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
I did a lot of homework before deciding to get the Ruger P95 for my CCW. The one thing that was the deciding factor for me was it's dependability. I got mine yesterday and couldn't wait to take it for a spin. After a light cleaning, I took it out and fed it 150 rounds of Russian mil-surplus 9mm. It ate all of that and wanted more! It is accurate enough to put 16 rds inside a 3" circle at 20 ft. I understand that every once in a while someone gets a lemon but how rare is that? Just wondering if anyone else has something to add, good or bad.

If you enjoyed reading about "How could anybody not like the Ruger P95?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgmorden
April 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
My P95 was my first handgun. Its not my favorite just due to the ergonomics, but it has always operated flawlessly. Ill never get rid of it. In that price range I consider it an excellent value.

azmjs
April 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
It's ugly, and an old smith and wesson j-frame is beautiful :D

ArfinGreebly
April 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Well, you know what they say: ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

There is very little that I see as "ugly" when I'm surrounded by guns.

There are those I might only own in a singleton, and others of which I might like to have a dozen.

"Ugly" -- for me -- is reserved for a gun that doesn't work, functions poorly, or is inherently dangerous to use.

Ruger? Sturdy stuff, for the most part.

Shoot it in good health.

matt_borror
April 29, 2011, 07:57 PM
i love the way the ruger looks. looks like an auto should, not like a glock that looks like a brick on a handle. i like the p89 though

ColtPythonElite
April 29, 2011, 08:14 PM
I bought one a decent in the box one for a couple of hundred bucks a while back. IMO, it is unattractive and clunky. However, I'm sure it works just fine. I let my dad have it to keep around the house.

yrltqct
April 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
One thing I forgot to add in the initial post is that some say it doesn't work well for CC but I'm not a big dude, 5'11"/190lbs, but I carry it IWB small of the back and it rides just fine for me.

bestseller92
April 29, 2011, 08:37 PM
Great gun, superb value. I don't feed mine Russian surplus ammo, tho....

Zerodefect
April 29, 2011, 08:46 PM
I have one. It's 100% reliable even with a cheapo chinese 14rnd magazine. Anybody know of any quality mags for the P95?

It is very rust resistant. I left it in a friends tackle box after a wet range shoot with that friends SS Kimber inside. I feel bad, apparently he thought since it was OK for me to toss my P95 in that box, and I'm a bit more experienced then him, then it was ok to leave his Kimber in there. Two days later his Kimber was rust. The Ruger was fine.

With that said..... It's a bit big for CCW. It's really slow coming out of the holster due to the long stiff 1st trigger pull. But that trigger is very safe. I view DA/SA triggers as obsolete now. But there are a few shooters that love them.

It's also as accurate as my other far more expensive pistols. It hangs with my 1911's just fine in accuracy.

If I could sell it for $300 I would.

Not sure if all this means I like it or not????

Mine is a backup in my truck when I go wheeling/camping.

GLOOB
April 29, 2011, 08:58 PM
glock that looks like a brick on a handle
That title has been taken over by the SIG P250. That gun looks like brick with a twig for a handle.

I think Glocks are more like a gun with a brick FOR a handle.

I've always wanted to get a P95, just because it's cheap. Same thing with the Sigma. But then I know better. I'd never shoot 'em.

Nushif
April 29, 2011, 09:01 PM
Fun guns! I've held them and shot them ... but I like different stuff. 8) They seem to be just too ... lukewarm? I mean they work, They look decent and they shoot fine ... right?
But what if I want either a pretty or nicely shooting or project gun? >.<

I think lukewarm describes them best for me.

EddieNFL
April 29, 2011, 09:11 PM
How could anybody not like the Ruger P95?

Personal preference? Excluding the MKII/III, I have no desire to even hold a Ruger auto.

I do like their revolvers, though.

rbernie
April 29, 2011, 09:21 PM
I find the two-stage trigger pull a bit different from my normal carry pieces, but they are fine pistols and work well. My eldest son fits the P95 like nobody's business and can't get enough of them. :)

bestseller92
April 29, 2011, 09:23 PM
The MecGar 17 round mags for the Ruger P-series 9mm's are superb.

Kingofthehill
April 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
THey are amazing guns IMO. I have a lot to choose from but my P95 gets a good workout. Its also my Fiance's favorite to shoot in my collection.

It has the softest recoil of any 9mm i have ever shot. very accurate as well, that has always surprised me how well it does when making a nice ragged hole. Oh, and 1 last thing and probably the most impressive of them all.... its as dependable as guns get! at least mine is thats for sure.

JOe

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nbhj53.jpg

LoadedDrum
April 29, 2011, 10:01 PM
I had one. It was reliable but that is the best thing I could say about it. It is too large for what it is, the trigger wasn't that great, and I always forgot to push the ejector down when trying to take it apart.

Jim NE
April 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
They are super, in my opinion. I have a preference for revolvers, too, but the looks of my P95 have really grown on me. I think the most common word used in describing them is "flawless." Now, if my marksmanship were that flawless. I love the P95 and will never get rid of mine, regardless of what semi-autos I own in the future.

I do have one complaint, though- Additional 15 round magazines from ruger are a tad too expensive, imo. They're $40 each around here. I think they should be more like 25 or 30 bucks. Good thing the P95 comes with two mags.

PlateStacker
April 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
They are your mid range pistol, at a mid range price. I think they are too large to CC and look rather toyish and kinda ugly.

I would not personally trust my life to any mid range pistol such as the P95, Sigma or Taurus autos. Maybe for a cheap shooter they are fine, but most of the guns I purchase are meant to save my life or others around me. And when it comes down to reliability and quality for that, no low range or mid range firearm will do.

Mike J
April 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
I got to shoot one recently. It was fine. I am not saying there aren't higher end guns out there but I believe it would serve it's purpose well. I know there are more carryable guns out there but the size doesn't seem that bad to me. Of course my usual carry is a XD-40.

I wasn't really slowing down & taking my time that night but the guy I was shooting with shot a 1" 5 shot group at 10 yards his first 5 shots with it. Not bad considering it was a range rental that neither of us had shot before.

mgmorden
April 30, 2011, 01:16 AM
I would not personally trust my life to any mid range pistol such as the P95, Sigma or Taurus autos. Maybe for a cheap shooter they are fine, but most of the guns I purchase are meant to save my life or others around me. And when it comes down to reliability and quality for that, no low range or mid range firearm will do.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of factors involved in various guns, and they don't all scale up linearly in price. The Ruger isn't all that attractive I'll admit. It's accuracy - meh - combat accurate but it's not exactly a tack driver. Ergonomics are a bit lacking. It doesn't conceal worth a hoot. HOWEVER, it's *reliability* is incredible. The thing will keep ticking no matter what. I'd challenge you to find another pistol at virtually ANY price point that it more reliable. It might be AS reliable, and at higher price points you might find a better pistol overall (heck as I admitted earlier I have pistols that I like better), but to insinuate that the P95 is in any way unreliable is just naive.

eam3clm@att.net
April 30, 2011, 01:32 AM
I have had my P95 for around 9years and I still like to shoot it. The only problem that I have had fron it was several years of carbon build up on the extracter and the mag spring weakened. A good cleaning and new springs later it is still up and going. Mine has the smooth grip with ten round mags.

TestPilot
April 30, 2011, 01:47 AM
I don't like the Ruger P-series pistols.

I don't like slide mounted manual firing inhibit levers. And, Ruger P-series makes it worse because the flat profile lever makes it even more difficult to operate. At least Beretta or S&W has some width that I can use my thumb to push on.

Magazine release is thin as a side of a sheet metal, and hard to push effectively as the ones on a SIG, Beretta, etc.

I don't think they're bad pistols. I just don't like them.

Smaug
April 30, 2011, 01:51 AM
But they lack some strengths that some higher class guns have.

As an example, they are not finished as well as Berettas and HKs. The recoil is not as soft as an HK USP9. The trigger's not as good. It's not as German. (OK, that last one was a jest)

My P90 was accurate and reliable, but the trigger was just OK. It was also very bulky in the slide for a single stack. It was my second gun, and I kept it from 1997, when I bought it brand new as a 21 year old until a couple years ago, when I sold it and replaced it with an SP-101. (I think that's where the money went...)

But you're right, it was a great gun.

I don't think it is that folks don't like them. I think it is more like they don't get passionate about them. They have a lot of the same virtues and vices as Glocks do, but at a fairer price, and made in the USA.

I probably shouldn't have said that. Now you're going to be dreaming about HKs and cursing my name when you're all of a sudden not satisfied with the Ruger any more. I hope you have the strength to resist.

If you see someone at the range with an HK, see if you can give it a go. They're pretty amazing. After I shot one, I understood how they can still sell guns at those high prices. (no, I don't even have one!)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/jzorns/Guns/RugerKP90_1.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/jzorns/Guns/RugerKP90_2.jpg

xr1200
April 30, 2011, 02:29 AM
3 inch group at under 6.5 yards is horrible, I can shoot 1 inch groups with my 3" barrel kimber 45 acp off hand at that range.

Now if the gun shot 3 " groups at 25yrds then that would be acceptable.

Early ruger center fire pistols were well known for not having accurate barrels, The newer rugers center fire pistols are supposed to have a lot better quality barrels then their early p series guns

kozak6
April 30, 2011, 04:03 AM
It isn't that hard not to like it. It's ugly, chunky, bulky, has a meh trigger, is affordable for common peons, and there's obvious casting flash on some of the parts.

If that matters more to you than reliability, indestructibility, and reasonable accuracy, you probably won't like it.

bestseller92
April 30, 2011, 06:33 AM
Mine has been 100% reliable since I got it in 1998. Gun snobs may turn up their noses at the price or the aesthetics or whatever else they choose to turn their gun-snobby noses up at, but to say this gun doesn't possess bet-your-life reliability because it isn't overpriced is simply asinine.

bestseller92
April 30, 2011, 06:35 AM
As far as mags go, the 17 round MecGars are available for around $20, and my P95 can put 5 shots into 2" at 20 yards. That works for me.

EddieNFL
April 30, 2011, 07:13 AM
...but to say this gun doesn't possess bet-your-life reliability because it isn't overpriced is simply asinine.

Cost more than I'm willing to pay.

CZ223
April 30, 2011, 07:49 AM
Ugly, clunky, heavy

Nushif
April 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
I don't think it is that folks don't like them. I think it is more like they don't get passionate about them.

Seems to be the most common tune here. 8)

Mike J
April 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
3 inch group at under 6.5 yards is horrible, I can shoot 1 inch groups with my 3" barrel kimber 45 acp off hand at that range.

The Rugers I have read the most about having accuracy issues were the P85's. I have managed to get a 1 7/8" group (center to center) at 16 yards with my P944 (.40 caliber P94) before. I don't think it is that much less accurate than my XD-40. The ergonomics of my XD just work better for me. These guns are more accurate than most of us shooting them.

possum
April 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
i owned one, and while it was a reliable and accurate handgun at a great price, it is DS/SA and I am not a fan of that action type. additionally they are big for carry. I can get the same capacity, reliability and accuracy or better out of a glock 19, and conceal it much easier and comfortably.

Caliper_RWVA
April 30, 2011, 01:35 PM
It's ugly, and an old smith and wesson j-frame is beautiful :D

... if hunchbacks are your thing...

P95 was my first pistol, heck my first firearm. I picked it with almost zero knowledge of firearms based on: price of gun, price of ammo and American made. It always goes bang, is easy to operate and will eat anything so I didn't do that bad. Not so hot for concealed carry being a chunky design, but since the P series started in 1985, that probably wasn't part of the design criteria.

I agree with a lot of the other responses though. There is nothing about the P95 that really stands out, so it doesn't get the love that others do.

crm7290
April 30, 2011, 08:33 PM
Im seriously considering this to be my first handgun when I turn 21 in July.

I dont mind the looks of it. I think that it looks really nice actually. It seems from online reviews that it is better than most of the guns in the price range.

Its either this or a trade in Glock but I can't find one in 9mm ever. I don't want anything bigger than 9mm because of ammo prices and I don't want a 22 hand gun. It doesn't leave that many cheaper options and this seems to be the best there is.

yrltqct
April 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
.[3 inch group at under 6.5 yards is horrible, I can shoot 1 inch groups with my 3" barrel kimber 45 acp off hand at that range]

After a light cleaning right out of the box, I put 16 inside a 3" target at 8 yards. Not too shabby I'd say.

yrltqct
April 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
LOL

PabloJ
April 30, 2011, 09:28 PM
LOL
That is not bad 6.5 yard rapid fire group.

Caliper_RWVA
April 30, 2011, 10:38 PM
Yea, 16 rounds at 8 yards, group size really depends on how fast it was shot and how long the shooter has been using handguns.

Smaug
April 30, 2011, 11:24 PM
...and I don't want a 22 hand gun. It doesn't leave that many cheaper options and this seems to be the best there is.

Big mistake, especially since you're concerned with ammo prices. Even a 9mm is going to drive you broke pretty quick compared to a 22. With a 22, you can afford to learn to shoot. THEN get a 9mm.

9mm police guns are all traded in already. 40 cal is what is available as trade-ins now. But there should still be a big market of used 9mm Glocks out there. Keep an eye out in the local shops.

There are probably lots of other guys like you who've snapped them up due to ammo prices.

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 30, 2011, 11:32 PM
They're ugly.

crm7290
April 30, 2011, 11:51 PM
I know how to shoot handguns. I just haven't been able to buy my own yet because I am not 21. I know 22 would be the best to get and I will probably get one eventually but recoil on a 9mm isn't horrible for learning. Plus my roommate has a .22 browning that was his dads so if Im running low on funds I can just borrow that.

helitack32f1
May 1, 2011, 02:39 AM
I had completely forgotten that at one time I had wanted a P95 until I went shooting with the neighbors a month or so ago. I had my Gen 4 G17 and my neighbor had the P95 and when we switched, i realized how much I prefer the looks and feel of a Glock. If I had to sum up my reasoning for not wanting the P95 now I would have to echo those who have already said it is ugly, clunky and heavy. In other words, it feels and looks like it was made by the "Old Ruger", because it was. The new Ruger SR9 is so vastly superior that the only reason I would buy the P95 would be if I new I could sell it to someone for a profit to help me buy the SR9.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with liking the P95 and owning one, especially if you can hit what you are aiming at and it is reliable.

matt_borror
May 1, 2011, 05:47 AM
i can understand someone wanting the sr9 over p95 because its much slimmer and all that. I think the p series hit its best mark with the p89/90. steel framed and hammer fired. i dont like strikers

The Lone Haranguer
May 1, 2011, 06:36 AM
A first quality handgun for $300-ish is never a bad thing. :) The only thing I truly dislike about the ones I've handled is the magazine release (a trait shared with several other P-series), which is a tiny serrated tab that you push forward and rock. At least you will never release your mag by accident. :rolleyes:

CZF
May 1, 2011, 04:01 PM
I like rugers very much, but prefer their revolvers.

Did carry a P89 during the OJ TRavesty, only because that's the
only gun they had left on the shelf!

My first experience with no guns sales and no alcohol sales after 4PM,,
basically martial law during that trial.

15 rounds of Slivertip and 3 extra mags were quite comforting.

These days, I'd buy another one if I was limited on funds, or the
newer P95 because they work so well.

No doubt because the are Rugers:)

However..IF caliber/ammo wasn't limited, a surplus CZ82 might be my first choice.

Far better than a Hi-point or Jimimenez.

JR47
May 1, 2011, 06:33 PM
Amazing. The HK USP that I own arrived shooting patterns at 25 yards, not groups. HK had to replace the barrel. THAT'S going to be found more often than HK fan-boys like to admit.

Price is not an arbiter of value, reliability, or durability. Anyone who thinks that it is needs to see me for a very expensive RG revolver.

Ugly? To me Glock and HK are about as attractive as three day old road-kill. Yes, they work, but why would anyone pay money for such ugliness.

We have a pair of P95s. As mentioned repeatedly, they shoot 100% of the time, have thousands of trouble free rounds through them, are accurate, and didn't cost a house payment.

FYI, both my wife and I CCW ours, as well.

Jim NE
May 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
Yes, JR47, I'm not really understanding the "ugly" remarks at all. You only have the right to call the P95 ugly if you own Browning Hi-Powers, Beretta 92's or Colt Huntsman's or 1911's (maybe CZ 75's) or a Luger or something. Those are pretty guns. Let's face it, most MODERN semi-autos don't win beauty contests. The criticism is valid against most newer pistols generally, but not one specific innocuous model.

It's like criticizing a Nissan Sentra for not being as "attractive" as Toyota Camry.
I guess the looks of my P95 have grown on me...but I still dream of a Hi-Power.

EddieNFL
May 1, 2011, 08:48 PM
You only have the right to call the P95 ugly if you own Browning Hi-Powers, Beretta 92's or Colt Huntsman's or 1911's (maybe CZ 75's) or a Luger or something.

It's ugly.

It's like criticizing a Nissan Sentra for not being as "attractive" as Toyota Camry.

I think the Nissan is better looking, but I would buy the Toyota.

I guess there's some truth in that "eye of the beholder" cliché.

mljdeckard
May 1, 2011, 08:54 PM
Terrible trigger.

railroader
May 1, 2011, 10:16 PM
Personally I like the look of p95s. I have a safety model that I converted to a decocker. I have nicer guns but I keep the p95 loaded for the house. It always goes bang and it is very simple for my wife to operate. As for concealed carry I don't but I would think it would be too fat for that. Mark

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/8537/p95p.jpg

bestseller92
May 2, 2011, 03:40 AM
I think the blue P95s look ok and the two-tone stainless models look really good. But the bottom line is, the P95 is a superbly reliable handgun for $350 or less new. It offers good people who can't afford to spend $500 to $1000 for a defense gun the opportunity to be reliably armed with a new, hi capacity 9mm. And that's a beautiful thing.

SwampWolf
May 2, 2011, 04:02 PM
It offers good people who can't afford to spend $500 to $1000 for a defense gun the opportunity to be reliably armed with a new, hi capacity 9mm. And that's a beautiful thing. _

Those kind of attributes make even an "ugly" pistol look beautiful.

PlateStacker
May 2, 2011, 06:02 PM
P95's and HighPoints are the two most popular pistols in the hood around here. Because they are cheap and the owners don't know a damn thing about firearms. For a first pistol, it would be a great gun. Most of my firearms have maybe just one thing I don't really care for about them, or I would change on it. Ruger P's have many.
For the most part, you get what you pay for. Pistols that sell for $150-300 all day long just aren't going to compare to a high quality $500-800 pistol. For plinking and beginners without gun knowledge, that acceptable. But for any serious enthusiast and/or anyone depending on that firearm to save their life or those around them... a middle of the road pistol wont cut it.

Jim NE
May 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think the Nissan is better looking, but I would buy the Toyota. I would buy neither...too ugly.

bestseller92
May 2, 2011, 07:57 PM
I don't understand people saying that the P95 "won't cut it" as a life-saving defense weapon. 100% reliability and 2" accuracy at 20 yards would certainly "cut it" for me....

bestseller92
May 2, 2011, 09:28 PM
Trust me, if you tag a home invader with a 115 gr. +P JHP from a P95, he won't know or complain that it didn't come out of a SIG P210 :).

PlateStacker
May 4, 2011, 04:02 AM
I don't understand people saying that the P95 "won't cut it" as a life-saving defense weapon. 100% reliability and 2" accuracy at 20 yards would certainly "cut it" for me....

Because 100% accuracy and 2" @ 20yrds is most likely as rare from a P95 as a P226 or 92FS NOT performing like that.

Think about it..
Why don't our Military/LE/Feds or anyone else carry P95's? Why doesn't anyone carry a P95 as a duty weapon? Why doesn't anyone carry any Ruger or Taurus auto.. or a Sigma as a duty weapon? Hmm...

bestseller92
May 4, 2011, 07:40 AM
Actually the U.S. Army Tank and Armaments Command purchased 5000 P95s a few years ago, and the Bureau of Prisons has issued the gun as well. Contrary to uninformed opinion by those who have likely never fired the gun, 100% reliability is the norm with the P95.

bestseller92
May 4, 2011, 07:44 AM
Also, many police departments have issued Ruger pistols as duty weapons, including Massad Ayoob's department, who issued the Ruger P90 before changing to the P345.

Today's law enforcement market is dominated by Glock, of course, with fully 65% of American police packing the Austrian fantastic plastic....

Nushif
May 4, 2011, 08:41 AM
Think about it..
Why don't our Military/LE/Feds or anyone else carry P95's? Why doesn't anyone carry a P95 as a duty weapon? Why doesn't anyone carry any Ruger or Taurus auto.. or a Sigma as a duty weapon? Hmm...

On that same vein ... why does nobody carry a .44 S&W? Or why does nobody carry a 12 gauge pump, exclusively?
Because we all know that because the PD doesn't use it it can't kill people, right?

rbernie
May 4, 2011, 08:53 AM
Contrary to uninformed opinion by those who have likely never fired the gun, 100% reliability is the norm with the P95.
And that's a fact. Every marque produces a few lemons, but P95's are well known for their reliability by those that run them. They are thick, heavy, and kinda clunky but they do run and run and run.

You can usually tell who's thrown a lot of lead downrange with one and who's regurgitating popular 'net lore and marketing fluff by the comments that they make in this sort of thread.

Also, many police departments have issued Ruger pistols as duty weapons, including Massad Ayoob's department, who issued the Ruger P90 before changing to the P345. I seem to recall that the Iraqi army or National Police were re-equipped with modern 9x19 pistols via a US procurement, and the P95 was the chosen platform for that need.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=117304

Dave T
May 4, 2011, 02:07 PM
My experience (10 years teaching self defense and CCW certification after 6 years as my department's chief firearms instructor) was that the Ruger 95 was indeed functionally reliable. But to answer the OP, what I don't like about it and any number of other maker's models is the DA/SA firing mechanism. Learning trigger control is probably the hardest and most important thing to learn about shooting a handgun. Having to learn two different trigger pulls, one coming right after the first shot with another, is a major detraction and fault. Sorry but the P95 falls quite short in this regard.

Dave

SwampWolf
May 4, 2011, 03:42 PM
Having to learn two different trigger pulls, one coming right after the first shot with another, is a major detraction and fault.

I won't argue that a "traditional" da semi-auto might require a little more training time to master (with its two different-da/sa-trigger pulls) than its sa or dao semi-auto counterparts (with their one trigger pull) but its been my experience that way too much has been made of this supposed "fault". Before I retired after thirty years of service in le, and after we transitioned from revolvers to semi-auto pistols, my agency carried and trained with Smith "third generation" da pistols and I have never seen an officer that couldn't "overcome" the alleged deficiency of a da pistol's "two-part" trigger pull with a little training.
Though I certainly appreciate the advantage(s) a sa auto, configured in a cocked and locked mode, might offer some shooters, I personally have no use for dao semi-autos. I much prefer a single action trigger pull for accurate shooting, which is what you get for every subsequent shot after that "terrible" first double-action one with a da/sa pistol. With the dao pistol, of course, you're stuck with the long da pull for every shot.

mgmorden
May 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
But to answer the OP, what I don't like about it and any number of other maker's models is the DA/SA firing mechanism. Learning trigger control is probably the hardest and most important thing to learn about shooting a handgun. Having to learn two different trigger pulls, one coming right after the first shot with another, is a major detraction and fault. Sorry but the P95 falls quite short in this regard.

That's a personal preference though. The DA/SA on the P95 works fine, and is also used by the Walther P38, Beretta 92 (and PX4, and Cougar), CZ-75, HK USP, Bersa Thunder, 3rd gen S&W, etc (a very big etc as the list goes on an on). A TON of guns use the DA/SA action regardless of cost, and many people like and prefer that action.

bestseller92
May 4, 2011, 05:26 PM
I, too, prefer a Glock-style trigger to a DA/SA, and that's why I normally carry a Glock 22 or 26. But I have absolute confidence in my P95 and have carried it and used it as a bedside defense gun many times.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 4, 2011, 05:38 PM
Yes, JR47, I'm not really understanding the "ugly" remarks at all. You only have the right to call the P95 ugly if you own Browning Hi-Powers, Beretta 92's or Colt Huntsman's or 1911's (maybe CZ 75's) or a Luger or something. Those are pretty guns. Let's face it, most MODERN semi-autos don't win beauty contests. The criticism is valid against most newer pistols generally, but not one specific innocuous model.

Its ugly, you don't even need to own a beautiful gun to see that its ugly. I can tell that a SIG P210 is a beautiful gun and the P95 is a ugly gun. Sure it works and its accurate, there are other used guns that look better and work just as good if not better.

bannockburn
May 4, 2011, 05:52 PM
I really never cared for the ergonomics of the P95, as well as its DA/SA trigger set-up. Basically the grip portion of the frame felt very unwieldy in my hand. Given a choice in the matter, I would choose a Browning Hi-Power as being the most comfortable feeling grip in comparison.

Dave T
May 4, 2011, 11:35 PM
That's a personal preference though.

mgmorden, the OP asked, " How could anybody not like the Ruger P95?" I was giving the reason I don't like them. You don't have to agree with me but you don't get to say I'm wrong either.

SwampWolf, my experience as a firearms instructor for my last 6 years before retiring was different. Every officer I trained who carried a DA/SA pistol would dump the first shot low when pushed hard or fast. I will grant there are some who master it but my experience is they are few and far between.

Dave

bestseller92
May 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
I guess we can come at it from the perspective of 3 different questions. 1. Do you personally like the P95? (My answer, yes, a lot, with the quailfication that I prefer a Glock-style trigger.) 2. Is the P95 a good gun? (My answer, yes.) 3. Is the P95 a good value? (My answer, yes, absolutely, to the point that I think it's arguably the best dollar value in a new and reliable self-defense handgun on the market today.)

spelsh
May 5, 2011, 07:22 PM
I don't care about the looks....it doesn't correctly fit my hand, or grip.

Pops 1
May 5, 2011, 11:55 PM
I like them and plan to buy my another one in the near future.

RockyTop
May 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
For the most part, you get what you pay for. Pistols that sell for $150-300 all day long just aren't going to compare to a high quality $500-800 pistol. For plinking and beginners without gun knowledge, that acceptable. But for any serious enthusiast and/or anyone depending on that firearm to save their life or those around them... a middle of the road pistol wont cut it.

I can understand your "serious enthusiast" argument because the P-95 is rather bulky and isn't as aesthetically pleasing as many higher priced models.

As for your other argument, I've found that my P95 has been completely reliable and I have no problem relying on it to save my life if need be.

golden
May 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
GUN FEEL is an important issue to almost everyone. The RUGER 90 series pistols felt clunky, they worked fine, but still did not feel right in my hand.

They are like the GLOCKS, ugly, reliable and affordable, but the clunky feel is just too much for me when I have a BERETTA 92, SIG 225, 226 & 228 and WALTHER P-99 to choose from.
The feel is also the reason I do not shoot my first generation GLOCK 17 much anymore.

Why do you think RUGER spent the money to develop the SR9?

Jim

gym
May 6, 2011, 11:10 PM
Desparado fans love them

If you enjoyed reading about "How could anybody not like the Ruger P95?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!