M95 Nagant- 327 Federal?

PDA

Dreamcast270mhz
April 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
I was reading about a guy who got a .32 acp cylinder, and reamed one chamber for .327 fed. I want to know, is this safer than chambering it straight in a regular 38r cylinder? From photos it looks like the .32 cylinder is much thicker and would be a better candidate (the M95's frame is very strong it seems)
Just wondering if it would be worth it?

If you enjoyed reading about "M95 Nagant- 327 Federal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunnutery
April 30, 2011, 05:08 PM
Given the price of .327 magnum, I'm going to say "no" it's not worth it (even if you can do the work yourself).

I just looked up prices on .327 mag at luckygunner.com and cheaperthandirt.com and it's running about $18-20 for 20 rounds. -VS- 7.62x38r (nagant) at $30 for 50 rounds.

I guess if you were dead set on carrying the 1895 Nagant and wanted a better load and bullet to fire, .327 would be a better choice probably. But I prefer to go with more common calibers for my carry guns, not to mention faster reloading times for my SP101.

Just my two cents.

Dreamcast270mhz
April 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
This isn't for carrying, just for experimenting.

Pyro
April 30, 2011, 07:16 PM
Stick with .32 S&W-L, that stuff is priced pretty nice online.

bangaway
April 30, 2011, 09:25 PM
Just to interject a word of caution: the 327 runs 40.000 psi and the .32 auto is 20,500 psi in my speer book. The Nagant is from an age when guns did not operate at these pressures. The Nagant frame does look strong but look a lot more in to its psi rating. Ken Waters, in his book Pet Loads has 300 ft lb loads in .32 longs. This is more than .32 magnum rounds. Either of these two cartridges would be fun to play with. I hope you have fun and bangaway

Mizar
May 1, 2011, 07:15 AM
By design the 1895 Nagant revolver is like a Martini-Henry rifle - it looks like it has a mighty strong action, but in reality it's exactly the opposite. Nagants have a separate breech block (recoil shield) that is pivoting to accommodate for the front moving cylinder. This part is week by design - it will not withstand the hard recoil from .327 Federal cartridge. When dealing with 7.62x25 Nagant conversions that was shoot for some time you will find a slack in the breech block resulting in increased and dangerous headspace. I believe that a .327 Federal conversion will lead to the same results.

Boris

CraigC
May 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
No way would I want to shoot a 45,000psi cartridge in an old Nagant.

psyshack
May 1, 2011, 02:05 PM
I have one and would never put that kind of round through it. I have hotted up the standard round a tad on the reloading bench. And it seems to really like a tad hotter round. It becomes more accurate and the gas seal works better. Thus making it work better with a can.

Mine even gets put in the nightstand rotation from time to time.

Navy_Guns
May 1, 2011, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a GREAT IDEA - if you like the prospects of wiping your a$$ with a hook for the rest of your life! Seriously, this has been discussed repeatedly here and on other forums, and the overwhelming consensus it that this is a TERRIBLE IDEA. Please don't try it!

I don't think you could even get Clark to try this one!

If you enjoyed reading about "M95 Nagant- 327 Federal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!