Do you keep a rifle within arms reach at home?

PDA

Good&Fruity
May 1, 2011, 06:00 PM
I mean in addition to a pistol you have on your person or at arms reach...

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you keep a rifle within arms reach at home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zach S
May 1, 2011, 06:07 PM
Yes. Not at arms reach per se, but out of the safe with a loaded magazine. Most of the time, its my AR15, although sometimes its my 590 or beater saiga instead.

76shuvlinoff
May 1, 2011, 06:11 PM
Not in "arms reach" at all times but I do keep a .357 lever carbine stoked right next to the cruiser ready 870.

buck460XVR
May 1, 2011, 06:11 PM
No. I have handguns and a shottie. My house is not that large that I need a rifle.:rolleyes:

mljdeckard
May 1, 2011, 06:12 PM
Not necessarily within arms' reach. That is harder than it sounds, even for soldiers. But yes, I keep a rifle in my truck and in my house whenever I am legally allowed to.

JohnBiltz
May 1, 2011, 06:24 PM
No. I carry my handgun. A shotgun is loaded in my bedroom. A rifle would be a pain to be carrying around the house and I don't see the reason, that is why handguns were invented.

Walkalong
May 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
Non yer. :)

Owen Sparks
May 1, 2011, 06:33 PM
Do you have a fire extinguisher within arms reach?

Ohio Gun Guy
May 1, 2011, 06:36 PM
^ actually yes, as well as a med kit, & flashlight.

Good&Fruity
May 1, 2011, 06:37 PM
I wasn't talking about walking around with a slung rifle, or just having a rifle around. As I noted, many already have a pistol on their person, or near them, but considering home invasions that involve multiple armed and armored assailants, I'm wondering if anyone takes this extra precaution of having a rifle at the ready, like propped up in the corner of the room their are spending time in.

Nushif
May 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
home invasions that involve multiple armed and armored assailants,

This may be quite the unpopular opinion but I just somehow don't buy that some random guy who needs to break into my little college apartment has the cash and toresight to
a) share the loot, which there *will* be little of and
b) Own a vest!

I know! someone here can quote me an article that details exactly that ... but I can quote an article where a guy survived three lightning strikes, too. >.<

youngda9
May 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
No, carry handgun. I will have time to get to the rifle when the zombies attack.

azmjs
May 1, 2011, 07:32 PM
Nope. I figure it would take me 15 or 20 seconds to go to the bedroom where I keep my pistols.

Long enough to get if someone is trying to break in. If it's the police raiding the place, I'm better off without a gun.

Good&Fruity
May 1, 2011, 07:37 PM
This may be quite the unpopular opinion but I just somehow don't buy that some random guy who needs to break into my little college apartment has the cash and toresight to
a) share the loot, which there *will* be little of and
b) Own a vest!

I know! someone here can quote me an article that details exactly that ... but I can quote an article where a guy survived three lightning strikes, too. >.<

You'd be surprised, home invasions can happen anywhere, I've read new stories about them happening in the most unlikely of places.

Nonetheless, you are an unlikely candidate for a home invasion. But you are the exception to the rule...

Ole Coot
May 1, 2011, 07:48 PM
Actually I do keep a Marlin 30-30 by the kitchen door. Slight problem with coyotes and packs of dogs people are nice enough to turn loose in the country. Home invasion? I doubt I would need a rifle, more of a pistol and 12ga pump with 7 or 8 rounds in it after the motion detectors, floodlights and dog kinda let me know if something is out and about.

towboat_er
May 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
No. I keep em in the safe.

Nushif
May 1, 2011, 07:59 PM
You'd be surprised, home invasions can happen anywhere, I've read new stories about them happening in the most unlikely of places.

Sure! Home Invasions.
Home Invasions by a team of people in flak vests? ... I'm not so sure.

Owen Sparks
May 1, 2011, 08:14 PM
Do you live in a war zone?

Malamute
May 1, 2011, 08:21 PM
Sort of. My house is so small, anything in it is practically within arms reach

M2 Carbine
May 1, 2011, 08:27 PM
Several loaded ARs in several rooms.

preachnhunt
May 1, 2011, 08:28 PM
No, but I'm pretty sure that 3 dogs and an alarm will give me time to grab the 870 loaded with both shot and slugs in the event that the pistols seem inadequate.

FROGO207
May 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
I always have a few choice firearms stashed around the house.:D The rooms I spend the most time in there is a helper close at hand, the others that is what they make a pistol for.

Liberty1776
May 1, 2011, 08:50 PM
Nope, but once I use up my two pistols and one revolver load of ammo, I will have already stepped into the dining room, unzipped my case and inserted one of the 5 loaded magazines. 'lessen I'm daid...

General Geoff
May 1, 2011, 08:55 PM

They happen, also known as "no knock warrants," which, even if legitimate, are sometimes served at the wrong address.

Bad guys have also been known to impersonate police during home invasions in a style similar to a no-knock warrant serving, and sometimes the bad guys are (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326885,00.html) cops.

Good&Fruity
May 1, 2011, 09:19 PM
Sure! Home Invasions.

You are obviously too young to have much experience in the world. It happens more often than you realize. Again, no one is likely to try to try to invade your college dorm room for a case of PBR. We're talking normal stuff here, not kids in a college dorm.

Sometimes it's got to do with drugs, sometimes it's just a robbery of normal folks, other times it's a gang initiation.

These were home invasions conducted with firearms, body armor, and multiple assailants. Most of them were conducted with "assault" type rifles.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2009/03/04/more-on-home-invasion-robbery-in-north-seattle/

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2009/11/05/body-armor-wearing-home-invader-shot-in-self-defense-by-armed-resident/

http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-97744.html

I've read several stories like this in my area alone in the last few months alone.

fallout mike
May 1, 2011, 09:20 PM
Yah

shotgunjoel
May 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
They happen, also known as "no knock warrants," which, even if legitimate, are sometimes served at the wrong address.
In that situation if you even raise your rifle that you carry around with you, you are going to get lit up. If I'm attacked by a group of well armed and armored home invaders, I lose. The chances of it happening are so low, that what you are suggesting could be considered ridiculous. I think that a lot of this comes back to people fantasizing about SHTF and black helicopters. If you feel so insecure in your own home that you feel the need to carry a rifle around with you, then you need to either move, or get some professional help.

General Geoff
May 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
If you feel so insecure in your own home that you feel the need to carry a rifle around with you, then you need to either move, or get some professional help.
Where did I say that I carry a rifle around with me when I'm at home? I was merely commenting that home invasions carried out by people wearing vests do happen.

parsimonious_instead
May 1, 2011, 09:49 PM
OK, THR participants - am I nuts/rude/silly for providing this response?
"I don't think giving any sort of description of my defensive firearms,
their state of readiness or my my ideas/tactics/plans for their employment is a good idea on a public forum."

Andrewsky
May 1, 2011, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah, anybody who keeps a rifle handy is a "nut." There is no "need." No one would ever enter your property with criminal intent...You would have to be a real whacko to attempt to be prepared for something that would "never" happen.

I'm going to show you two maps. They show burglaries (just illegal property entries, not arsons, kidnappings, thefts, vehicle thefts, vehicle break-ins, or anything else) in a 30 day period in March-April 2011 in two areas in Arizona.

Northwest Tucson:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/Tucson-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/Mesa-1.jpg

Maybe a rifle isn't a good idea? I think one could make a case for a submachinegun, or more realistically, a 12 gauge autoloader. A service pistol? As a back-up, sure...

Hoth206
May 1, 2011, 09:53 PM
Yep...a Marlin 981T loaded with a dozen CB shorts...for attacking hordes of squirrels, snakes, and field mice.

parsimonious_instead
May 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
Andrewsky:

Wow... just wow. If that were Boston, I'd think that all of those blue "B"s were bars :)

I think about moving to Arizona all the time - I might want to avoid Tucson, based on that map.

brboyer
May 1, 2011, 09:59 PM
Let's see, right now there are 4 rifles and one shotgun five steps away and four handguns either on me or in arms reach. That's just this room, but I do spend most of time here. :D

Good&Fruity
May 1, 2011, 10:27 PM
In that situation if you even raise your rifle that you carry around with you, you are going to get lit up. If I'm attacked by a group of well armed and armored home invaders, I lose. The chances of it happening are so low, that what you are suggesting could be considered ridiculous. I think that a lot of this comes back to people fantasizing about SHTF and black helicopters. If you feel so insecure in your own home that you feel the need to carry a rifle around with you, then you need to either move, or get some professional help.

I understand some people need some "professional help" reading, so I will say it again: I specifically said no carrying it around the house, just within arms reach.

Here it is:

I mean in addition to a pistol you have on your person or at arms reach...

I wasn't talking about walking around with a slung rifle, or just having a rifle around. As I noted, many already have a pistol on their person, or near them, but considering home invasions that involve multiple armed and armored assailants, I'm wondering if anyone takes this extra precaution of having a rifle at the ready, like propped up in the corner of the room their are spending time in.

shiftyer1
May 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
Not within arms reach but yes I keep several that are close enough.

Owen Sparks
May 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Home invasions don't happen at long range. I don't need a rifle for that.
I can get to a pistol or a shotgun quickly if someone tries to break in.

shotgunjoel
May 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Where did I say that I carry a rifle around with me when I'm at home? I was merely commenting that home invasions carried out by people wearing vests do happen.
I meant nothing toward you, but instead those who think that they need to carry rifles around.

General Geoff
May 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
shotgunjoel:

Rifles are ballistically superior to (most) handguns, and carry more ammunition than shotguns. Since propping a rifle against the wall is no more difficult than keeping a pistol on the table or night stand, it makes logical sense to avail myself to the use of a rifle where convenient, i.e. my home.

If you had the choice between a fire extinguisher and a halon system in the event of a fire, which would you have? Just because serious house fires are relatively rare does not mean that someone who keeps a halon system at the ready, needs "professional help."

JShirley
May 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
I am really, really, really tired of people who, despite abundant evidence, still fail to understand that a properly selected rifle/ammunition combination offers more control and less penetration than any effective handgun or shotgun combination. The range doesn't have to be great for a carbine to be the best choice.

Owen Sparks
May 1, 2011, 11:54 PM
A rifle is hard to use in a close range scuffle. A hand gun is usually short enough to get it pointed at the bad guy at close quarters. The longest straight shot that I can take in my home is about 11 yards. Where a rifle shines is outdoors.

General Geoff
May 1, 2011, 11:57 PM
A rifle is hard to use in a close range scuffle. A hand gun is usually short enough to get it pointed at the bad guy at close quarters.

Is that why soldiers clear buildings with pistols? ...Oh, wait. They use rifles usually.

The only advantage a pistol has over a rifle is portability/convenience. It has no tangible benefit over a short rifle even in close quarters combat.

rs3604
May 2, 2011, 12:10 AM
I keep my shottie right in my safe by the bed

JTHunter
May 2, 2011, 12:14 AM
On the wall next to my bed is a 12 ga. SxS w/double triggers. Above it is an AK with a 40-rd. banana in it. Across from the foot of the bed is a gun cabinet with all my other rifles, pump shotty and 2 revolvers. Just handguns in the rest of the house.
:rolleyes: ;)

mljdeckard
May 2, 2011, 08:52 AM
When you have a rifle, you have the option of harder muzzle strikes and butt strokes. You have better grip and retention leverage.

I never consider a pistol adequate for ANYTHING. If I am ever in a position where I have to run grab a weapon, it will be a long gun every time. I use the pistol to fill the gap until I can get there.

M2 Carbine
May 2, 2011, 09:22 AM
Andrewsky, very interesting. Where can I find that program for my area?

Agmundr
May 2, 2011, 10:51 AM
I keep one by my bed, but I'd grab my .45 before I grabbed it for fear of injuring/killing a neighbor. It's part of my "just in case" mindset, as is the rifle and my "oh sh*t kit".

hogcowboy
May 2, 2011, 11:00 AM
Yep, sure do. Never can tell when a coyote will pop it's head up.

Nushif
May 2, 2011, 11:07 AM
You are obviously too young to have much experience in the world.

I really don't think stuff like this leads to constructive arguments, so let's stop this right here.

So now, please tell me how you, armed with a rifle ... PJs and your wits are going to make *more* of a difference in a fight against home invasions conducted with firearms, body armor, and multiple assailants. Most of them were conducted with "assault" type rifles.

There is such a thing as diminishing returns. And frankly, when there's 3+ people with carbines and body armor coming in my door, whether I have my Beretta or my Mossberg with slugs makes very little difference. Remember. This is about protecting yourself, not about being a Police Officer counter attacking.

As someone accurately put it already:
If you're standing there with one of these "no-knock warrants" being served whether by a criminal or cop ... you're going to get lit up. The only defense against these "Black Helicopter" scenarios is your own team of armored and armed people laying in ambush.

And that's where I'm going to leave it at.

JShirley
May 2, 2011, 11:14 AM
One last time (in this thread, at least): a high velocity, lightly constructed rifle round is not only extremely effective for stopping deadly threats, it is less of a liability in the event of a miss inside the house.

That .45 or 9mm, OTOH, as sturdy, slower rounds will, is much more a liability in the case of a miss~ if you're handicapped by FMJ, there's liability even if you don't miss.

sm
May 2, 2011, 08:05 PM
My life is a whole lot calmer now, than it has been...basically my whole life up to now.

I am in farm country, and living on 90 acres. I am about 8 miles from anything, or the nearest towns.

Now I was raised, and continue to concern myself with entering, exiting a structure (home, business, vehicle) and answering the door. So I tote or have handy a J frame revolver here at the house, and on the property.

This is not to say, there is not sometimes a long gun, be it a AR, or Youth Single Shot 20 ga shotgun being toted while on the property, or within arms reach inside the house, the garage, one of the sheds, or the big barn.

I have taken of, and continue to take care of varmints, such as coyotes, groundhawgs, skunks, and the like.

Now another thing I was raised to do, and will continue to do, is "harden the defenses" of home. I did this with businesses as well, and have my trigger time, in consulting and assisting folks with this.

Yes, I need to do more where I am, still I do have trusted folks, that do keep and eye on things. Add, neighbors are appreciative of me taking out numerous coyotes. I sorta figure, any meth heads getting any ideas as they did before I moved here, figure there are better places to go to out here in the country.

Before I moved here, a house did burn, less than a mile from me, due to meth heads, having an "accident". So neighbors have gotten on the ball about keeping tabs on people, places and things.

A former co-worker lives about a 1/2 mile from me, and she is aware, and has shared with her family about my critter control, and "having fun taking critters with a handgun".

Her grandpa, grinned, and shared "well, that will make some bad guys think twice about messing around on his place, and ours, and the neighbors".

But...
Lee Lapin, hso, Jeff White and some others around here are familiar when I have lived in cities, some quite large, and crime was very serious. When we spoke on the phone, they could hear the gun shots, and the sirens of Law Enforcement and EMT's, and Fire Dept/Fire Rescue.

I CCW's at least one handgun, for reasons shared earlier, and yes, often there was at least one long gun, of some variety, handy.

I had plans, and hardened defenses, and ...

How raised, what you do.

Steve

jimmyraythomason
May 2, 2011, 08:21 PM
No. I have loaded handguns on every level and in most rooms. Also in every vehicle. No need to have rifles loaded but do have some magazines loaded in the safe along with the corresponding rifles. Ranking a home invasion by multiple armored assailants by likelyhood of occurence,I have to place it below being attacked by coyotes(yeah it's POSSIBLE).

beeenbag
May 2, 2011, 08:28 PM
I don't keep a rifle handy but I do keep my pump shotty at the ready. My house is fairly small, I don't have to worry about over penetration, and I feel I am better armed with a mag tube of 00 buckshot than my AR. For ME the shotgun is the best HD long gun, I think.

Zach S
May 2, 2011, 08:43 PM
"I don't think giving any sort of description of my defensive firearms,
their state of readiness or my my ideas/tactics/plans for their employment is a good idea on a public forum."
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of joining a public forum where a lot of the discussion is about defensive firearms, their state of readiness, or our ideas/tactics/plans for their employment?

Cop Bob
May 3, 2011, 11:16 AM
"JShirley
Administrator

One last time (in this thread, at least): a high velocity, lightly constructed rifle round is not only extremely effective for stopping deadly threats, it is less of a liability in the event of a miss inside the house.

That .45 or 9mm, OTOH, as sturdy, slower rounds will, is much more a liability in the case of a miss~ if you're handicapped by FMJ, there's liability even if you don't miss."

Absolutely RIGHT... a 52gr bullet moving at 3200fps is a little bomb at close quarters.. and it will defeat most all but the heaviest special purpose body armor.. even then, walk the rounds up to a head shot.. Ask Bin-Laden... oh yeah, I forgot, he is out taking a dip in the pool..

-eaux-
May 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
At all times within arm's reach, no. Within arm's reach from bed? Yes. And a spare 30rd mag.

shiftyer1
May 4, 2011, 03:01 AM
Why do having long guns have anything to do with home invasions or zombie's? Ya'll do realize that home defense weapons can be needed for critters right? (Are zombie's critters???)

I do have pistols around but the longuns are more use. To me.

Mr. Bojangles
May 4, 2011, 06:06 AM
I keep a pistol handy almost all of the time (goes in the safe when the nieces and nephews visit), and a shotgun in the bedroom. I just don't feel unsafe enough at home to have a rifle every room that I am in. There is one in the bedroom, though.

Rexster
May 4, 2011, 08:08 PM
Rifle, no.

Handguns, yes. A shotgun is kept handy, but not always within arm's reach.

I live in a dense area, where things happen close, so though I have rifles, everything is within shotgun and handgun range, and I do have slugs quickly available. I do believe that a .223 carbine is fine for HD, but I wear a badge for a PD that has rules concerning rifle deployment, and expects us to use approved weapons, and follow policy, 24/7. To be clear, I do not feel much handicapped by these rules, a pump gun is an old friend, even if that friend kicks awfully hard sometimes.

Shotgun deployment is at my discretion, and shotguns adequate for most perceived threats in my area, so I am MUCH more likely to go with a shotgun.

To be clear, a rifle is more efficient for more situations, and after I retire my badge, I will probably relegate the shotgun to fixed-position HD, and move a Mini-14 to first-line HD/utility duty. (I own an AR, too, so have no stake in the debate about which carbine is best; I just like the way a Mini handles.) I may even keep a .308 as the go-to rifle, if I move out of my densely-built and vegetated present hometown.

If I perceive the need, I can have a loaded .308 rifle deployed in about two minutes, but I can select-load Brenneke slugs into a shotgun much quicker, and those slugs will definitely change most cover into mere concealment.

Headless
May 5, 2011, 12:02 AM
no, not in arms reach. However, my shotgun and my AK could be presented in ~10 seconds from anywhere in my house, and i've got handgun within ~2-3 seconds of me at all times, though usually it's on my person directly.

armsmaster270
May 5, 2011, 12:05 AM
I live in a close neighborhood so it is pistols & 12ga 00Buck with 18 & 1/2"BBL

Doxiedad
May 5, 2011, 12:45 AM
I don't have a rifle, yet... but I do keep a loaded 12 gauge by the bed.

talldragon
May 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
No, not close by. All are in the safe. Young children in the house.

Home invasion? :uhoh: I hope not, but you never know.
I may have to rethink my firearm storage arrangement.... :)

DM~
May 5, 2011, 01:34 PM
I keep a rifle AND a shotgun "pretty handy" in my house. Here's what anyone breaking in will see,

http://fototime.com/290DCFD1D04F451/orig.jpg

My muscle memory with it has got pretty good over the last 25 plus years it's been my "go to gun", but once it's empty i'll be switching to a handgun i've owned and been shooting even longer...

DM

Rail Driver
May 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
For the most part. I live in a small place right now and my rifle lives on a wall rack in the hallway at about the center of the house. Very easy to get to from about anywhere. I carry my pistol on me, however, so unless things get REALLY scary, I'm likely to default to that first. DM~, what kind of gun is that? I'd love to see more pics of it.

Owen Sparks
May 5, 2011, 01:54 PM
A rifle is really designed for long range and you would have a hard time convincing a jury of self defense if you shot someone beyond 50 yards unless for some reason they were shooting at you with a rifle. Indoors a shotgun is a lot more practical as it offers unequaled stopping power without ruining your hearing like the sharp crack of a rifle will if fired in a confined area. In anything short of total anarchy where there is no law enforcement and you have to head off of roving gangs of looters, you probably don't need a rifle at arms reach. Heaven forbid, if a situation like that arises you should have more than enough time to fetch an AR out of the closet or safe before widespread looting and rioting starts. The only two times I have seen something like that were the LA riots and the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and in both cases it you would have had plenty of warning that things were turning bad if you owned a TV or radio.

Rail Driver
May 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
Owen, are you saying that one should not use a much more effective weapon for close to mid range (ie the 5-50 feet likely in a home invasion scenario) in favor of a pistol because of what somebody might think? This sounds wrong to me somehow. If my home is broken into, I'm going to use the most effective weapon I have at hand when the event happens. Just because rifles are primarily used for long range doesn't make them any less effective for closer range. Sure, you probably won't be sighting or using a scope unless it's a 1x red dot, but even firing from the hip with a rifle at indoor ranges you're more likely to hit the target than with a pistol in frightened shaky hands.

bhk
May 5, 2011, 04:44 PM
I live in a rural area on acreage. A loaded rifle is kept handy mostly due to 4-legged creatures that can, on occassion, cause significant problems. At other times, these creatures may be simply legal and entertaining 'targets of opportunity' or a food source (sorry, PETA). A handgun is all but worthless for this duty. A rifle can, though, serve as a double-duty firearm offering significant self-defense capabilities.

For my purposes, if I were allowed only a rifle OR a handgun in the house it would be a rifle. Now, if I were restrained to a suburban/urban environment (restrained is the only way that I would live there) I would pick a handgun. Fortunately I live in the boonies, no such rules exist, and I get to have both.

JustACowgirl
May 5, 2011, 07:01 PM
Yes, but more because I just like to be able to see it :rolleyes: We have four legged vermin that I could use it on, but you can't shoot in a neighborhood :uhoh:

DM~ What kind of gun is that?!?

sonick808
May 6, 2011, 03:40 AM
the AK is by the bed, the sub2000 is by the easy chair

DM~
May 6, 2011, 08:25 AM
For those that asked, it's a Krieghoff drilling.

http://fototime.com/F8BC345CD766244/orig.jpg

It was made in 1935, but i've owned it since the early 80's,

http://fototime.com/35A1F5A52508463/orig.jpg

It weighs right at 7 pounds, and breaks down into a small space for travel,

http://fototime.com/EED0D1139B4F1A4/orig.jpg

Over the years it's been my "go to gun", i've shot everything from small game to moose with it, and it's been a perfect hunting gun for all of my needs. And when i slide and lock in one of the precision Krieghoff inserts that i have, it makes an EXCELLENT 22 rifle for small game at longer ranges too,

http://fototime.com/2F1EDE966EE573A/orig.jpg

Anyway, it's been one of the BESY BUYS i've ever made in my life, and absolutely the best hunting gun i've ever owned! It's also VERY accurate too!

DM

jon_in_wv
May 6, 2011, 10:04 AM
That is one of the coolest weapons I've ever seen.

USAF_Vet
May 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
I love that Drilling.

To answer the OP, no, I don't keep a rifle within arms reach at all times. I've got a 9mm carbine loaded at one end of the house and a 12gauge pump loaded at the other end of the house. The house is small enough that I can get to either one in less than 10 seconds from anywhere else in the house, unless I'm on the toilet. In that case, I dare them to come in, chemical warfare beats home invader every time :D

Zach S
May 6, 2011, 10:38 AM
A rifle is really designed for long range and you would have a hard time convincing a jury of self defense if you shot someone beyond 50 yards unless for some reason they were shooting at you with a rifle.
If what the jury thought was more important to me than my loved ones' well being, I would use my three year old's pink T ball bat...

Onward Allusion
May 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Good&Fruity (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=80870)

Pistol and shotgun. I figure that if 20 rounds of 9mm and 7 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck won't do it...well...

jon_in_wv
May 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
A rifle is really designed for long range and you would have a hard time convincing a jury of self defense if you shot someone beyond 50 yards unless for some reason they were shooting at you with a rifle.

The criteria for self defense is the SAME no matter what the distance is. If a person poses an imminent threat to me or my family for 5 feet or 500 feet self defense is justified. Really, any firearm at 50 yards is a deadly threat whether its a shotgun, pistol, or rifle. I don't think if would be hard to convince a jury at all that a man standing 50 yards away, shooting at me with any of the above, is an imminent threat. BUT, that being said, I keep a rifle loaded because it is a better and more effective weapon than a pistol, not because I forsee any threat at that great a distance. I think most people would be better served by a shotgun in most circumstances.

dwo357
May 7, 2011, 10:13 AM
My 6 shooter is only seconds away and my dog outside lets me know theres something out there.

Ky Larry
May 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
I keep my CZ-75B .40 S&W within reach and a Winchester 1300 12ga is in the bedroom. In my safe is an AK with 4 loaded 30rnd mags. If all that firepower doesn't stop the bad guys, I'll sic my 3.5 lb attack Yorkie on 'em. That'll teach 'em.

jimmyraythomason
May 7, 2011, 12:23 PM
I'll sic my 3.5 lb attack Yorkie on 'em.Such vicious attack animals should be regulated! :=))))

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 7, 2011, 12:32 PM
Typically, yes.
Either that or a 12 gauge ready to roll.

VT Deer Hunter
May 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
The guns are in the room, but not arms reach.

dagger dog
May 7, 2011, 07:14 PM
You can bet YOUR LIFE on it!

Hagen442
May 7, 2011, 08:22 PM
My Preference is a Old 1100 12Gauge (Set Up My Way )

Hagen

22-rimfire
May 8, 2011, 07:07 AM
Long gun? Yes, one is loaded.

HOWARD J
May 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
m-1 carbine--other guns around the house.
Monitored burgular alarm system--house & garage

Badlander
May 8, 2011, 10:05 AM
When I am up I am carrying. I do have A house rifle. A 16" 30-30 with a buttstock ammo carrier. For the outside chance that A rifle would be required.

S&W-Keeper
May 8, 2011, 01:19 PM
I have some rifles, but my eyes are gone, can't see the front sights.It is shotgun and short barel revolvers for me now.

JerryM
May 9, 2011, 12:56 PM
I have a handgun by my bed and that is all.
I realize that burgleries do occur with fairly high frequency, but they are not armed invasions.

I think the odds of an armed invasion of my home are in the hundreds of thousands or maybe millions. If there is a mistaken invasion by law enforcement and I resist I will lose that.

If I lived in a relatively remote area I would have a long gun, but not in the city where I live. If it gets that bad I will move.

Regards,
Jerry

scotjute
May 10, 2011, 11:53 AM
Keep .22WMR on wall by door - in case of predator attack on animals. About every other year something happens out here.

forestdavegump
June 17, 2011, 12:12 AM
yes one long gun in semi auto config and a shotty

Tim the student
June 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
I keep guns close, but they are not always within arms reach.

I didn't even keep a rifle within arms reach all the time in Iraq.

mossberg835
June 17, 2011, 12:25 AM
a rifle? not one no, three they're in a golf bag it all depends on the course at hand.

Ignition Override
June 17, 2011, 12:36 AM
No, and I don't even own a handgun.
As somebody suggested on page 2 about black helicopters etc, some of that notion goes back to episodes of the "X-Files", "Lethal Weapon" (helo attack on Mel Gibson's trailer) and the tragic stand-off near Waco TX etc.

Almost all of the home invasions in the nearby city seem to involve immigrants who might keep all their cash at home, and a few others such as jewelry shop owners, who keep inventory at home.

The only recent home invasion I can remember which was in a very upscale neighborhood (Collierville TN), involved a house which was known by outsiders (service people) to have an inoperative security system for days on end. The newspaper reported this.

The owner either had a business which was either jewelry, expensive coins etc, or he was known/suspected of keeping quite a heap of valuables at home.

KCFirepower
June 17, 2011, 06:25 AM
I keep one within grabbin' distance of my couch, but it's just a .22 with a couple of loaded mags, and it's less for defense and more for coons invading my trash.

RevDerb
June 17, 2011, 06:34 AM
Nah! Pistol only.

pockets
June 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Nope.....all of my rifles are in their racks.
But my cat will whine incessantly until the intruders cannot stand being in my house any longer. ;)

JustinJ
June 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm curious, are people actually carrying their handgun on their person while at home?

I keep a rifle within quick reach of the bed but keeping one in the living room is way too much hassle as it will have to be moved too often. I'm not going to leave it out at night so that an unarmed burglar suddenly becomes armed. Concealed handguns are strategically placed though. My first line of defense, as i feel should be for all homes where possible, is a pair of dogs of adequate size to neutralize a threat if not at least slow it down for me to respond.

Ryanxia
June 17, 2011, 01:34 PM
Within arms reach is a bit much, generally I keep a loaded AR in the bedroom but can't say it's in arms reach.

JustinJ - to answer your question I carry a handgun on me at home too, I've gotten so used to it I feel naked without it. :D

JustinJ
June 17, 2011, 01:42 PM
"JustinJ - to answer your question I carry a handgun on me at home too, I've gotten so used to it I feel naked without it. "

Without mine outside the home i feel naked too. But being that sometimes i like to acutally be naked at home my only option would be a shoulder holster.

And yes, you are all welcome for the mental image.

Ryanxia
June 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
LOL.

Now I've got the idea that I need a shoulder holster for my S&W .44 Magnum to walk around the house naked in :neener:

Heretic
June 17, 2011, 03:02 PM
Oh GOD, I'm blind!! Seriously, I carry out my 1911 into the living room when I'm up. Carry it back when I go to bed. Didn't used to be this way, but my town is now a sanctuary city for illegal aliens, so it's dangerous to step out the door after dark.
People get assaulted all the time, and the police won't even take the report.

fiddleharp
June 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
Actually, yes I do.
But not for the reason you might think.
I live out in the country and I've got twenty tropical fruit trees of various sorts, plus two vegetable gardens. When the sun goes down I can count on some four-legged varmint launching a raid. There's a loaded .22 rifle standing behind my bedroom door with a light attached to the scope. When my motion detector chime rings in my bedroom, me, my headlamp, and rifle are out the door in seconds flat. Many a coon, possum, rabbit, and armadillo have bitten the dust this way.
But their replacements just keep coming and coming.
Like zombies! :eek::banghead:

wlewisiii
June 17, 2011, 08:40 PM
Not currently, though when I pick up the Winchester 94 (.30-30) I have on layaway, I'll probably keep it in condition three outside of the safe.

writerinmo
June 17, 2011, 09:01 PM
Three... Mosin Nagant 91/30, Chinese Type 53 and an Armscor M1600.

EmGeeGeorge
June 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
Mosin with Bayonet ready....

Flfiremedic
June 17, 2011, 11:43 PM
At least one of the alphabet agencies classifies handguns as "back up guns" and long guns as their primaries. For me personally while at home, a handgun is always within reach with a plan of using it to while getting to a long gun.

talldragon
June 18, 2011, 12:51 AM
+1 LOL:eek: :what:

armsmaster270
June 18, 2011, 04:12 AM
A Sig 226 in 357 Sig and a Mossberg 500 with 00Buck

Mr_Mij
June 18, 2011, 08:48 AM
"JustinJ - I have a CCW License and I pocket carry a Ruger LCP 99% of the time. A lot of the times I forget it's still in there and only take it out when I change into my PJ's (sorry for the visual folks).

As to the original question - I have a loaded .40 S&W Sig 229 in my nightstand at the moment. There's a short barrel Mossberg 500 leaning behind the dresser with a side saddle full of 4 Buck if the situation warrants it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you keep a rifle within arms reach at home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!