bin Laden Dead Thread

PDA

gym
May 1, 2011, 11:52 PM
We Got Him

If you enjoyed reading about "bin Laden Dead Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
May 2, 2011, 12:42 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/

Obama is giving a press conference live right now.

1stmarine
May 2, 2011, 12:56 AM
As I was copying some links for my AR-15 in 6x45mm I saw the news we got Bin Laden!!!. I know it has been a long wait but it ended the only way it could end.

I hope this can bring some closure somehow to some of the families and friends that suffered the consequences of his actions and I salute those dedicated to track down one of the most evil SOB's ever born in the history of human kind.

I hope they put his head on a spear for display at Madison Square. I would take the train down there just to spit on it.

Colt Smith
May 2, 2011, 12:57 AM
Thank God and thank the courageous men and women of the US military. You mess with the bull, you eventually get the horns.

Reports are that it was a ground operation. He was shot with a gun not bombed.

Good&Fruity
May 2, 2011, 12:57 AM
Apparently it was a CIA operation that Obama authorized today (according to his speech). He was killed in a firefight with "a small team of Americans".

Translation: CIA spooks.

mnhntr
May 2, 2011, 12:59 AM
I would like to buy those guys a beer

Geno
May 2, 2011, 01:00 AM
Wonderful news! God bless our military folks. :cool:

Geno

Frogomatik
May 2, 2011, 01:01 AM
somebody buy those boys a whole truck full of beers!

mhphoto
May 2, 2011, 01:01 AM
It's a good day for America. It doesn't bring back all those who died on 9/11 and our men and women who died overseas, but I'd rather him die at the hand of any American than die comfortable in some terrorist stronghold from kidney failure, all hopped up on painkillers.

Tim the student
May 2, 2011, 01:04 AM
I'll put money that it was CAG.

Good job boys!

Nico Testosteros
May 2, 2011, 01:04 AM
Way to go CIA! Way to go President! Way to go whoever was on the team that shot him!

Dimis
May 2, 2011, 01:06 AM
somebody buy those boys a whole truck full of beers!

aww heck just let em spend a week at the budweiser plant swimmin in the vats

CIA/Our Troops/Bomb whatever got him Im glad we finaly did

fireman 9731
Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish.

Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river...

rs3604
Thank god, great day. As I heard it he was shot in the head and they have that body. Shame we'll never know who pulled the trigger.

Thlax
Proud to be an American.

To our troops. Thank you for your honor and your will. I have the most respect for you.

Thanks. Now we need to take out the heads that are still organizing.

The fight is not over though.

Kaeto
May 2, 2011, 01:08 AM
The reports I heard is that the team that got him were Navy SEALs.
Well Done shipmates Well Done!

Thlax
May 2, 2011, 01:08 AM
They said he was killed about a week ago and they've been doing DNA testing.

-NBC news

hso
May 2, 2011, 01:14 AM
The only facts that are publicly known are that OBL is dead and it has been verified and it was announced to members of the US government and the public.

Who did what and when is currently unclear since the President said that OBL was killed "today" in Pakistan ~100 km from Islamabad by US ground forces. The "talking heads" are variously babbling drone, bomb, SF, SEALS, last week, today,...

We'll have a more accurate set of stories tomorrow.

newbuckeye
May 2, 2011, 01:14 AM
They said he was killed about a week ago and they've been doing DNA testing.

And then Obama said it was today.....

TempestP226
May 2, 2011, 01:15 AM
Heard he took a round in the head. I wonder what caliber, grain and manufacturer.

Thlax
May 2, 2011, 01:17 AM
And then Obama said it was today.....
Sure. Who knows. I'll let navy seals keep their secrets. They do their job. They do the dirt. They get it done. Thank you.

Good&Fruity
May 2, 2011, 01:30 AM
Conventional forces don't conduct these kind of operations. CIA and other spec ops had a hand in it, that's for sure, and the identities of those involved, and the details of who specifically will never been known.

What we do know is that it all started with an intelligence lead in August 2010.

StrikeFire83
May 2, 2011, 01:36 AM
I've just got a big smile on my face right now.

.25 cent piece of jacketed lead and not a $100,000 guided bomb. CIA/SEALs, whoever it was, muchas gracias.

Thlax
May 2, 2011, 01:37 AM
Possible a HK45 did the dead:)

Sediment
May 2, 2011, 01:45 AM
What do you wanna bet the team that killed him wanted to post what they did on Facebook REALLY BADLY. Good shooting boys, I owe you all a beer.

GlockFan
May 2, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'm watching the coverage now. Glad it was done in person and not from the air. Hell I wish I could have been the one to do it.

chevyman097
May 2, 2011, 01:54 AM
curiouser and curiouser.

Nico Testosteros
May 2, 2011, 01:54 AM
Heard he took a round in the head. I wonder what caliber, grain and manufacturer.

A chance it was from his own weapon or one of his bodyguards'. We'll probably never know either way.

StrikeFire83
May 2, 2011, 02:04 AM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/02/obama-to-make-statment-tonight-subject-unknown/

An official said a "small U.S. team" was involved in the operation at the compound - the official would not confirm any U.S. military involvement. An official said bin Laden resisted the assault - and was killed in the firefight.

Three other men were killed in the firefight, and a woman being used as a human shield was also killed, the officials said. There were no U.S. casualties, the officials said. The U.S. team was at the compound for about 40 minutes, officials said.

TempestP226
May 2, 2011, 02:05 AM
A chance it was from his own weapon or one of his bodyguards'. We'll probably never know either way.
Then we can probably thank the Tula Arsenal. :)

I certainly hope our boys are getting straight whiskey and not near beer.

azmjs
May 2, 2011, 02:33 AM
What kind of gun do you think the President's messengers used to deliver justice to that scumbag?

StrikeFire83
May 2, 2011, 02:39 AM
Cnn.com homepage breaking news banner.

"Osama bin Laden was shot in the head during a U.S. raid, a congressional source familiar with the operation says."

THE DARK KNIGHT
May 2, 2011, 02:40 AM
What kind of gun do you think the President's messengers used to deliver justice to that scumbag?

A little part of me wishes it was a 45-70 from a lever gun to the face at close range.

But that's just my fantasy.

Remo223
May 2, 2011, 02:46 AM
The CIA can't legally carry out an operation such as this. I would guess the CIA did the homework, set it up, then had seals or joint special ops pull the triggers. I heard a rumor osama was popped with a pistol.

First4Freedom
May 2, 2011, 02:46 AM
Taurus judge :neener:

9mmforMe
May 2, 2011, 02:49 AM
Jennings .22? :what:

pikid89
May 2, 2011, 02:51 AM
1911!

HorseSoldier
May 2, 2011, 02:53 AM
5.56mm Mk911FU round, only used for HVT targets by JSOC. Copper jacket around mild steel salvaged from Ground Zero . . .

In the face.

nwilliams
May 2, 2011, 02:57 AM
I was having a bad day until I heard that OBL was dead and then a bad day turned into a wonderful day!

Now if we can just get rid of all those who wish he were still alive then we might just be on the right track to making this world a safer place to live in.

cyclopsshooter
May 2, 2011, 03:02 AM
‎"I've never wished a man dead but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain

Doug b
May 2, 2011, 03:03 AM
Well done USN.Well done indeed.Thank you

CWL
May 2, 2011, 03:05 AM
<edit>

If UBL had been dead, the USA would have accepted it, kidney failure or whatever cause. The Republicans would have used it in the last election.

I do believe that it was a SEAL troop who took him down, Pakistani news footage of the burning compound says more than you ever will.

I salute the actions of our military and the demise of an enemy of our country.

1911 guy
May 2, 2011, 03:06 AM
<edit>

I just wish that his killing would end the wars, but it won't. I wish his death would bring back the friends, family and neighbors lost on 9/11, but it won't. I'm glad he's dead, I just wish it accomplished more than self satisfaction and headlines.

LawScholar
May 2, 2011, 03:10 AM
Enemies of the United States, take note.

Run as far as you want.

Spend all the money you want.

Make all the political connections you want.

Release all the videos you want.

Spur all the conspiracy theories you want.

Laugh at American deaths all you want.

Convince yourself of your moral correctness all you want.

Mock America all you want.

Inspire violence against the United States all you want.

We will chase every lead.
We will follow every source.
We will spill our blood.
We will spill our sweat.
We will spill our tears.
We will overturn every leaf.
We will push aside every rock.
We will trace each hint.

We will find you.
We will kill you.
We will feel no remorse.

I wholeheartedly salute the men and women of the United States Armed Forces.
God Bless You.
Thank You.

9MMare
May 2, 2011, 03:16 AM
I'm watching the coverage now. Glad it was done in person and not from the air. Hell I wish I could have been the one to do it.

And they said no civilians were killed.

Well done boys (& girls?), well done! I hope that all our active military feel that they they had a part in this....for all their efforts, IMO they did.

NoirFan
May 2, 2011, 03:16 AM
Not to detract anything from the professionalism of our troops on the ground, but bin Laden got the better end of that bargain. In the last ten years of his life he managed to massively increase the size or our Federal government, force trillions of dollars of military spending, indirectly cause the deaths of thousands of US troops, and turn our country into a politically polarized quasi-police state which bears no resemblance to pre-9/11 USA.

In return, we gave him a quick martyr's death. And his legacy will live on as we spend ourselves into our graves fighting the wars we started to find him.

He got what he deserved, but he still won.

I'm glad he's dead, I just wish it accomplished more than self satisfaction and headlines.

You and me both both, 1911guy.

shotgunjoel
May 2, 2011, 03:19 AM
Just as a side note, I was watching this whole thing on CNN this evening, did anyone else think that John King was mildly intoxicated?

k1l2k3k4
May 2, 2011, 03:22 AM
What can I say,at last I can go to bed with a smile

9MMare
May 2, 2011, 03:22 AM
He got what he deserved, but he still won.

There will be retaliation no doubt, but....it aint ova yet.

mekender
May 2, 2011, 03:28 AM
FYI, the photo that is circulating, and that has been broadcast on Pakistani TV is fake, It was originally published here in 2010:

http://windowintopalestine.blogspot.com/2010/11/years-of-deceit-us-openly-accepts-bin.html

AZ
May 2, 2011, 03:30 AM
I was giddy with joy when I first heard but after 3 hours of news coverage and seeing the fallout already I can't help but think we're playing into his martyrdom. I'm very proud of our men in the Special Operations but I'm disappointed in our media and politicians, in other words, not much is different.

harrygunner
May 2, 2011, 04:16 AM
Fought someone who could fight back and died with a shot to the face. Little different than attacking innocent women and children.

Sounds like the coward was taken out in a manner worthy of a Vince Flynn novel. Too bad he had ten years more of life than the victims of 9/11.

Neverwinter
May 2, 2011, 04:22 AM
Not to detract anything from the professionalism of our troops on the ground, but bin Laden got the better end of that bargain. In the last ten years of his life he managed to massively increase the size or our Federal government, force trillions of dollars of military spending, indirectly cause the deaths of thousands of US troops, and turn our country into a politically polarized quasi-police state which bears no resemblance to pre-9/11 USA.

In return, we gave him a quick martyr's death. And his legacy will live on as we spend ourselves into our graves fighting the wars we started to find him.

He got what he deserved, but he still won. This.

azmjs
May 2, 2011, 04:47 AM
He was worth 10x more as a defiant underdog, sticking it right in America's eye for 10 years than he will be as a martyr. The salafist/takfiris have plenty of martyrs, that ****'s old hat.

Bin Laden's stature came from getting away with what he did, making a fool of the Great Satan and thereby "proving" the divine mandate for what he was doing.

newbuckeye
May 2, 2011, 05:05 AM
Buried at sea??? Already???

Deus Machina
May 2, 2011, 05:17 AM
I'm mildly afraid but plenty curious how this will turn out.

If his supporters are sufficiently weakened and fragmented, his death could very well crumble them.

If someone under him is charismatic and intelligent enough, we could very well have just as much, if not more, of a problem.

For now, join in a toast. To the memory of those in the towers, to the brave men and women in the military, to all on the intelligence and classified teams, I raise this bottle and all that shall ever touch my lips.

Bubba613
May 2, 2011, 05:38 AM
Remind me what any of this has to do with firearms?

cyclopsshooter
May 2, 2011, 06:15 AM
Id like to have had him chained at the bottom of a hole at ground zero so people could walk by and spit on him till he drowned-

Carl N. Brown
May 2, 2011, 06:35 AM
Time to take this one down:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141508&stc=1&d=1304328845

coloradokevin
May 2, 2011, 06:49 AM
@ Carl N. Brown:

I only wish that the soldiers who executed this mission, and this tyrant, would actually receive the $25 Million in reward money that was always offered on that poster. Obviously they won't since they were acting as agents of our government, but I sure think they deserve it!

Think about it: Paying those soldiers the $25 Million would only come out to about $0.083 per citizen. I call that quite a bargain for offing Bin Laden! Heck, I'll even throw in $5 myself (that's my share, plus the share of 59 other Americans).

I know things don't work that way in government, but I say we make an exception, and toss them that reward money :)

Taniwha
May 2, 2011, 07:49 AM
RI(m)P Osama bin Laden

International Hide & Seek Champion 2001-2011

Well done to the USN Seals.

lizziedog1
May 2, 2011, 07:55 AM
I am happy too. I don't care who did it, how they did it, or when it was done. But this makes me a bit nervous about November 2012.:confused:

sonick808
May 2, 2011, 07:56 AM
So it was a Navy Seal, nice.

FROGO207
May 2, 2011, 08:23 AM
It appears his SD weapon did little good to him.:D I also do wonder the weapon-s used to kill him. Some good news in a so far, bad news year. Hope it was severe lead poisoning.:evil:

mm1ut1
May 2, 2011, 08:27 AM
Buried at sea? Probably tossed out of a C-130.

LukeTheDrifter
May 2, 2011, 08:27 AM
It's probably been a year since I unleashed holy hell on a OBL target at the range, but come 1700 today, I'm heading to the range for some proper celebrating. :) God Bless America!!

pleeho
May 2, 2011, 08:35 AM
Media reports say a Navy Seal killed him. If so Weapon must've been either automatic rifle of choice like an ?HK 416 if done from afar. Sig P228/P229 if CQC.

Strange that it wasn't Delta Force that did it - they are exactly suited/trained for this type of hit. I'm actually going to assume it was Delta but like usual, they're melting into the shadows, avoiding the credit & spreading the rumor that it was a Seal. If it was Delta, they no doubt used a 1911 and Pow'rBall type ammo. Or maybe an HK 416.

I grew up in FtBragg area in the '80s with several kids whose dads were Delta.

vaherder
May 2, 2011, 08:41 AM
Watch your six. The US just became an order of magnitude a more dangerous place to live. Chances are good UBL had a plan that was to go into effect upon his death. Sleeper cells and lone wolves. AQ needs to retaliate to save face and remain viable. Now comes the more difficult part for Obama and his staff.

He was buried at sea IAW with Moslem practices.

19-3Ben
May 2, 2011, 08:48 AM
international hide & seek champion 2001-2011

hysterical.

joepa150
May 2, 2011, 09:43 AM
AWESOME NEWS. Big thanks to our Military.

Moderators,
Please don't close this thread. I know it is off topic but it is great news.

hso
May 2, 2011, 09:55 AM
A good summary of events at NPR.
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/02/135908884/bin-ladens-last-stand-a-fiery-raid-in-pakistan?ft=1&f=1001

jbrown50
May 2, 2011, 10:03 AM
The bullet to the side of his head was most likely a simple 9mm FMJ round from a Seal Team 6 member's Sig 226. Why risk making him unrecognizable for the pictures?

As far as martyrdom goes, Usama Bin Laden has by now figured out that the concept is extremely overrated.

hso
May 2, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ok, we've had the wild speculation, conspiracy theorists, misinformation, and some outright non-THR behavior as well as the jubilation.

Time to close this and get back to business before it is completely spoiled.

If you enjoyed reading about "bin Laden Dead Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!