Who Bought All Those ’08 Election Guns?

PDA

Mainsail
May 2, 2011, 01:01 PM
I was recently discussing the mad rush to buy guns just before and after the elections in ’08 with a friend, and he asked who I thought bought more, people who didn’t own guns before (first time buyers) along with people who may own one -or- people who already owned several guns and felt the need to buy more.

I sort of expected the market to open up on a lot of pre-owned but seldom-if-ever fired guns bought during the Obama gun buy, but that hasn’t materialized. I was pretty confident that there would be a big sell by people who bought during the rush…because of the rush, and that by now they’d be convinced the White House isn’t so much a threat and look to unload their purchases. That doesn’t seem to be the case though. So it appears that, for now anyway, the people who ran out and bought guns during the ’08 elections have decided to hang on to them.

So who were all those buyers, new/few gun owners or people who already owned several?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Bought All Those ’08 Election Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
merlinfire
May 2, 2011, 01:04 PM
These guns probably won't go up for sale until (if and when) the economy returns to normal, and a gun-friendly (not just gun-neutral) president is back in office. I won't be selling mine except for a gain either way, but the panic buyers who aren't gun folks will probably eventually sell

GCMkc
May 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
I bought two rifles right at the '08 election and definitely got the shaft.:banghead:

DPMS Panther Lite 16 A3 - $1000 (something like $700-$750 now)
WASR-10 - $500 (>$400)

Owen Sparks
May 2, 2011, 01:08 PM
If the Republicans regain The Whitehouse in 2012 there will be some great deals on slightly used AR's. Many owners will realize that they have money tied up in an expensive rifle that they have only fired a time or two and now they want a Harley or whatever.

Mainsail
May 2, 2011, 01:11 PM
Panic buyers; better description than I had.

GCMkc makes an interesting point, if you bought during the height of the panic buying, you probably paid more than you would have during ‘normal’ times. So then some people will hang onto theirs simply because they would be taking a loss to sell them. Good point.

JellyJar
May 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
I bought an AR right after the 1992 Rodney King riots. I have only shot it three times yet I still have it and have no plans to sell it. It is my SHTF weapon!

Here in Alabama we recently had some very bad tornados. I was not affected but only by luck. If where I live we had been hit as bad as other places I would now have it out and loaded to protect myself and my neighbors like others have had to elsewhere.

I suspect that many who bought during the panic will not sell because 1, they would lose money on the deal; 2, they realize they may actually need it in the future if not now.

AlexanderA
May 2, 2011, 01:39 PM
It was mostly just a question of timing the purchase. In other words, people who were already planning to buy the guns, at some time in the future, simply accelerated the acquisition because of fear of future lack of availability. OK, so they probably paid too much, but there's no reason for them to sell them now, when prices are lower, unless they really need the money. For those guns to reappear on the market, as used guns, either (a) the economy will have to get much worse, so that a lot of people become desperate for money, or (b) the economy will have to get much better, so that people have more money to spend and prices of the guns get driven higher. I wouldn't bet on either of these things happening.

Owen Sparks
May 2, 2011, 02:00 PM
Having a rifle is not enough if the S really hits the F. You need to practice! If you have only fired it three times since 1992, how will you preform under the stress of being shot at? Sure you may know how to aim and pull the triger but how fast can you change magazines, clear a jam or deal with multiple targets?

RudeMood
May 2, 2011, 02:09 PM
Speaking for myself, I bought a '58 Mosin M44, a Beretta P92FS, and a Mossberg bolt action shotgun at the turn of the '08 election, having never purchased firearms before. Obviously I did not buy for SHTF purposes, though the idea of spearing zombies/insurgents/whatever with my old Mosin does give me a fit of giggles. I bought them for hunting and a nightstand gun respectively, because that's what I needed and I got a good deal on all three. I watched on in amusement at the frenzy buying, the highlight of which graced my eyes as a gentleman wanting to buy a whole row of AR-15s at a gun show and the arguement with the gun show vendor that ensued. :rolleyes:

Glad I didn't have an interest or need for "evil black rifles", as prices have dropped significantly since.

rellascout
May 2, 2011, 02:36 PM
I did not buy anything which was effected by the election in 2008. People are not selling now because they paid way too much for those guns and in the down economy will not come even close to recouping the money.

The gun industry IMHO played up the fear that a gun grab was going to happen and those who did not know any better belived it and paid dearly for buying into the hype. So many dealers fed the flames so they could make a profit from the fear and panic it was almost preditory. Selling cheap ARs at Colt prices.

Don't buy into the hype. You see it with ammo all the time. You will see it again with the black rifles and standard capacity pistols in 2012. Think about those who benefit from the hype they will be the loudest voices.

Sheepdog1968
May 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
Most firearms don't take up too much room in a home and can be handy if things do go bad so I suspect many will keep them. All you need to do is look every 10 years or less, there is some sort of disaster or riot in the USA and suddenly the firearm you bought 15 years ago but really don't shoot seems worth keeping.

TexasBill
May 2, 2011, 03:34 PM
I bought a few guns that I would have bought anyway. Looking at prices today at the places where I bought them, I didn't pay too much. Looking at places like Bud's, I could have saved a few hundred dollars. The only gun I probably paid too much to get was a First Edition Walther PPK380 at $440.00. However, since I never saw another one, I don't regret it.

Ammunition is the one thing that's come back down in price. I can finally walk into most any of the local stores and get things like bulk .380, CCI MiniMags, etc., and not get hosed.

Why would people run out and sell the guns they bought? I don't see the Republicans falling all over themselves to do anything for us (like shut down the BATFE's work on new restrictions) or stand up to Schumer and McCarthy. Heck, the Republican majority in the Texas legislature can't be trusted to pass campus carry or legislation to allow workers to lock their guns in their vehicles in their workplaces.

Frogomatik
May 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
I already had the guns I felt I needed, so I bought exactly jack squat at those over inflated prices.

azmjs
May 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
The paranoia is going stronger than ever.

loneviking
May 2, 2011, 08:23 PM
Things sure are different where I live. Every week I see ads for 'NIB' 'Never Fired' 'Like new' along with 'Bulk Ammo---1,000rds for $$$'. I would guess that most were speculators hoping to make money selling these guns when a new assault rifle ban ala '94 went into place. Hasn't happened and the economy went in the hole, so they are now trying to sell off something that they don't ever use.

gunsnukes
May 2, 2011, 08:28 PM
It was great excuse to tell the wife " honey we better buy them now"!
I felt like a kid in a candy store.

Ohio Gun Guy
May 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
There is not one single demographic, in my opinion. The buying has remained high (look at the FBI stats). I think there was a bit of a "Panic" buy, a little of the get them while you can, but also if you remember there was the Heller Decision that I believe also pushed sales up. Kind of a scary scenario if the decision didnt go in the way of the 2nd amendment.... Also, in 2008 the economy was still in free fall. Some were likely buying to hedge against the increased crime sure to follow. The last thing (IMO) was/is the victories in many states for concealed carry.

So, with the threat of a hostile gov't in Washington (2008), the Heller decision which spotlighted guns & our right to own one, a worsening economy (2008), increasing crime and the Attention of the Heller Case; created a buying frenzy. (Just my .02)

Lord Teapot
May 2, 2011, 08:42 PM
me! i had no guns until barack obama won that election. 21 guns later...i'm wondering if maybe they arent coming for the guns afterall.

hso
May 2, 2011, 08:52 PM
The reports at the time indicated it was folks without firearms or without EB firearms that rushed to the gun shops.

rogertc1
May 2, 2011, 09:03 PM
i bought a couple..but i have been buying since 1994 so WTH

shiftyer1
May 2, 2011, 10:04 PM
I got rid of every possible extra I had, mostly to people who couldn't convince themselves to buy "assult" type weapons until they thought the option was going away. I had planned on buying alot of sks's back around now, but it seems the prices aren't going to crash back to 150 any time soon.

wow6599
May 2, 2011, 10:08 PM
I did........but only because my wife "understood" the need to expand!

Tennessee Ned
May 2, 2011, 10:10 PM
I had one pistol beginning the summer of '08. My philosophy is that every man needs at the very least a pistol, a shotgun and a rifle so I bought a CZ 452 and an 870.

Since then I've bought a few more pistols and a couple more rifles. I starting to think my shotgun's getting lonely ;) Might be time for another :D

earlthegoat2
May 2, 2011, 10:15 PM
The only ones I bought then were ones I got good deal on that were good deals pre-election as well.

Safetychain
May 2, 2011, 10:37 PM
I bought a little Taurus TCP for pocket carry but Obama didn't have anything to do with it except for possibly getting my wife a bit more agreeable to the purchase.

Though, I never do or will sell my guns. The money is not that tight and as long as it cost nothing (no tax) to own, my pride of ownership and being able to handle and shoot the fine guns I own far outweigh the little financial gain I possibly could get for them. I look at it as if I sell them, they are gone forever and I will never be able to "play" with them again. Even though my other "Big Boy" toys like the boats, RV and camper do cost me through their property taxes, I still have a hard time selling any of them even when they sit unused for years at a time.

SharpsDressedMan
May 2, 2011, 10:38 PM
Do these qualify? :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05984.jpg

dirtykid
May 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
Uh, i think my brother-in-law did ! He's bought so many guns since Obama was elected he had a carpenter turn his basement study into a walk-in gun safe ! ( im not kidding,it's a 8x14 gun-room) buying at least 2-glocks withs at least 15-18 30-round clips,walthers's , 1911's of any brand , and if you showed him a gun right now that had the words "LE only" <deleted> When i asked him once why he's "stocking up" he said you better too , pretty soon their gonna stop selling them and then they'll enact laws to come into your homes and inspect your weapons for no reason blah blah blah,, I have a repeated pattern, I buy 1-NEW and 1-Used gun a year,, have done that for 12+ years now and it didnt change wether out "commander in chief" was repub or dummycrat,,, Did the sales on tin-foil go up just before the election also ?? :rolleyes: <(sarcastic)

Gordon_Freeman
May 2, 2011, 10:51 PM
I admit that I bought a couple of guns with inflated prices in early 2009. I am still kicking myself for it when I look at today's prices.
I even asked a question on a gun board if I should wait to buy. No one could tell me that if I waited the prices would come back down.
Now I know what to expect around presidential elections and will always be expecting the panic buying. Lesson learned.

Bob2222
May 3, 2011, 01:16 AM
I just happened to be near the epicenter of one of the 1967 riots -- I was too young and stupid to be terrified --- and my wife just happened to be near the epicenter of one in 1970. These are maybe 4-sigma, meaning "twice-in-a-lifetime" events.

We owned guns purchased before we moved to the People's Republic but after the 2008 election I thought it might be a good idea to replenish my supply of a few boxes of 20-year old ammo. And, yes, practice. And buy a shotgun. Here in the PR we need a firearms ID card to buy ammo, and individual permits for pistols, so we needed to apply for permits, and things just snowballed from there. The pistol permits expire, so we were boxed in by that.

Yes, we "panicked" and purchased several guns at around peak prices. But is it really a panic if you get into your car, buckle your seat belt and then drive off and don't have an accident? Crime has definitely increased since the election, I see an awful lot of very unhappy people, and I would be shocked and amazed if the next five years go by without any urban rioting.

We didn't buy any junk. We have absolutely no plans to sell any of our guns. Ever.

Guns and more
May 3, 2011, 02:35 AM
I bought an AR because I thought they would go away.
I paid too much, but I love it and have no plans to sell.

Balrog
May 3, 2011, 03:14 AM
There will be another scare when Obama is re-elected.

Ala Dan
May 3, 2011, 09:18 AM
Lots of people rushed out and purchased a "gun" for the first time in their lives.
Grand'ma's, persons living alone [and feeling a bit insecure], "old timers" [too
weak and frail to stand, fight, or be robbed of their life savings], the younger
generation [still wet behind their ears, and barely 21 yrs old], etc. The feel'in
was (and is) "everybody needs too be safe"; and the thought of Mr. Pres tryin
to take steps too deny us this freedom FAILED BIG TIME~! ;) :D

Husker_Fan
May 3, 2011, 09:51 AM
I did ok. I only bought a couple of old, outdated, un-tacticool S&W revolvers during the great panic. One is a five-screw Combat Masterpiece, and the other a late 50's or early 60's model 38 in very good condition. There was little interest in them at the time and the shop where I found them wanted the space for the types of guns panic buyers wanted. I'm still happy with the prices.

SuperNaut
May 3, 2011, 10:01 AM
I mostly sold.

I only bought one gun just at the start of the bubble, my Saiga12, got it for $500. I didn't buy it 'cause I thought it would be banned either, I bought it 'cause it's bad-ass.

I'm seeing prices coming down, lot of NIB on ksl.com - especially for EBR's and AK's. Once these Obama Guns sit for long enough, the prices will fall through the floor.

I'm patient.

22-rimfire
May 3, 2011, 10:32 AM
I bought some 22 rifles during 2008. I didn't join into the mad rush to buy EBR's or other firearms. Had most of what I wanted already. I did buy ammunition however.

I don't expect to join into any panic buying in 2012 even if BO is re-elected. I fully expect he will pursue a more aggressive gun control agenda. He will view any success in the election as a mandate to pursue a more liberal agenda.

O C
May 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
I think that most people who bought during and after the election were people who had a neutral, or "slightly" negative attitude toward guns in general. When they bought, they realized what you had to go through to even get a gun, and when the background check was done, the gun was in possession, the next step was to get a CCW. More money, more paperwork, but they HAD TO LEARN HOW TO USE IT! Now, all of a sudden THEY ARE GUNNIES! Even if that's as far as they went, the peace of mind and confidence that went with actually doing something about their safety, instead of putting that responsibility in the hands of others will keep a lot of them from selling. They see the drop in crime, and lack of gun battles in every parking lot, and realize that gun owners are just like them, oops "I be a gun owner"..

PcolaDawg
May 3, 2011, 10:51 AM
I wasn't planning to buy any guns at that time, and I'd never owned a handgun. Then one of the partners at my law firm bought some guns and suggested I'd better do the same because of Obama's election.

I didn't think too much of it, and wasn't going to do anything about it. Then I casually mentioned it to my wife and SHE panicked! She doesn't own any guns, but she pretty much insisted I go out and stock up. lol.

So I did. :cool:

Since then I've bought about 7 handguns for myself and about 5 or so for my kids and wife. And myself, my wife, and three kids took a ccw course and those of us old enough all got conceal/carry permits.

It has been AWESOME!!

So I wasn't worried about losing my gun rights when Obama got elected, but I have to admit that, as a result of his election, I got into handguns and conceal/carry. And I'll always be grateful to the man for that. :D

bruzer
May 3, 2011, 11:03 AM
I say Both first time buyers and some multi-gun people bought into the hype.
I for one bought the $99 SKS for $169 after President Clinton took office and vowed never to buy into the hype again. Added the folding stock and had fun with it. After President Obama took office I walked around a gun show with it and every dealer was asking me if it was for sale.
Mike

Grey_Mana
May 3, 2011, 11:16 AM
Lots of first-time gun buyers in 2008 were folks who rightly, wisely and prudently decided to exercise their rights, bought one or more guns, and began practicing with them. The political climate made them more aware of the importance and benefits of gun ownership. I venture that those folks don't consider themselves panic buyers, and don't view their gun purchases as mistakes.

Ryanxia
May 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
I was by no means a new gun owner but I purchased a Beretta Cx4 Storm. I wanted an AR but they were saying 12 months back order! Needless to say I scooped up what I could get.

At that same time there was a huge ammo shortage for the same reason, it was then I decided that I would no longer be a sheep. Stock piles of guns, ammo, food, water, etc. makes me sleep better at night now :)

Br
May 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
The reports at the time indicated it was folks without firearms or without EB firearms that rushed to the gun shops.

Electron Beam firearms? Sign me up! ;)

Dr_B
May 3, 2011, 12:46 PM
I have the guns I wanted most. The rest can wait. I'm not buying guns, I'm slowly buying ammo. Doesn't matter how many guns I have if I have nothing to shoot out of them. Personally, I don't think Obama or any other politician is going to try to take away guns. They will find a way to make ammo so expensive that going shooting becomes problematic and people will get rid of their guns voluntarily, or simply put them away. Same thing the environmentalists and libs are doing with SUV's and trucks. They aren't going to force you to drive a Prius. They'll just let it become so expensive to drive a truck that you won't be able to keep it around.

phil dirt
May 3, 2011, 01:00 PM
If the reports I am starting to hear are true, the Obama administration is already scheming what is described as "under the radar" gun control legislation. If he is re-elected, gun owners had better beware. The Dems want nothing more than to disarm America, and many RINO Republicans will most certainly jump on board.

BoilerUP
May 3, 2011, 01:20 PM
Obama has far larger issues on his foreign & domestic policy agenda, both near term and after a potential reelection, than pushing anti-gun legislation.

Besides, its not POTUS you need to worry about grabbin' 'yer guns - its Congress.

As for me, I didn't panic buy any firearms as I never believed there'd be a concerted leglislative effort to subvert our rights in the midst of a sharp economic downturn (especially in light of recent legal victories), but I sure was pissed I couldn't find any reloading components or 9mm/40SW/38Spec/380 ammo from mid-Nov 2008 thru late summer 2009.

Also, I bought 200rd of 223 exactly one week before the election and went into the gun shop exactly one week afterward..and the exact same ammo (what was left of it anyway) had gone up 50% in price. That shop, which had *racks* of AR when I bought my ammo, was completely bare save a couple chambered in 6.8SPC.

SharpsDressedMan
May 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
OK, I flashed my AK's in a pic above, but my situation was a little different than knee jerk buying. As the election year progressed, I decided that the Dems might get a hold of things, and decided to add some semi- autos to my collection. I had owned AR's and some S/A .308's in years passed, but only kept an M1 Garand to shoot in matches with my cousins. I had gone low key, with my primary "tactical" stuff being some bolt actions, namely a .300 Win Mag set up for long range, a .30-06 scout rifle, and a .300 Whisper bolt action sith an AWC suppressor. Tactical enough, I thought. Then when the real possibility that a wave of anti-gun legislation could crop up at any time if a new prez got in, I decided to add some semi autos, and AK's were the logical step, as I wasn't seduced by high rates of fire, or tricked out AR's. The cost effectiveness of the then-abundant 5.45x39 ammo made the AK-74's look pretty good, and my brother was into building some AK's from kits and US made receivers. I bought a full stock AK74 before the primaries, and later bought a folding AK74 after the election, both from my brother for just about cost, not at the post election scalp prices. So now I have 2 AK's, and $260 bought 2160 rds of ammo. I still preferred a 7.62x39, as it has superior penetration to the 5.45, and should my supply of 5.45 ammo be hard to replenish, 7.62 is more widely available (although more expensive then). Later, my brother gave me an folding AKM 7.62 parts gun, obtained really cheap way before George HW left office, and I made that my grab and go gun. I later (2010) talked my brother out of a Yugoslav M72 RPK, but paid the going rate as it was a brand new, unfired parts kit, and worth a bit more than the ever present shot-out-barrel kits that followed later. Didn't really NEED that one, but it looked so nice. AR's are fun, but when I had mine, I just never liked loading for it, and it didn't get used like my bolt guns did. I do not plan on using the AK's much, but it is nice to know that I and my family can take serious care of our end of the block, and I don't need to go shopping for ammo in an emergency. The AK's don't inspire sitting-by-the-fire, petting-my-rifle gun love, but they are highly efficient tools, that are there to do a job. I got 3 or 4 AK's for the price of two AR's, and ammo has become to be less than half as expensive as .223.

22-rimfire
May 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
...you probably paid more than you would have during ‘normal’ times. So then some people will hang onto theirs simply because they would be taking a loss to sell them.

In my experience, selling guns is almost always a loosing proposition or at best break-even unless you hold onto them for years. Today's high prices are tomorrow's bargains as the saying goes.

Obama has far larger issues on his foreign & domestic policy agenda, both near term and after a potential reelection, than pushing anti-gun legislation.

You think he can't do two things at once?

shamalama
May 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
I bought a Romanian GP WASR-10/63 AKM for $450 the day Obama clinched the Democratic nomination. At the time I had grave concerns that there would be another Scary Weapons Ban on the near horizon. Fortunately no ban has occurred, am very happy with my purchase, and have no intention of re-selling it.

oldbear
May 3, 2011, 04:45 PM
"The first time/panic buyers" are holding onto their purchases, and sellers are still asking and most often getting premium prices. The popular Smith and Wesson N and K frame models are getting harder and harder to find, and when you do find one worth buying prices are sky high, I.e used shooter grade M-19's $400.00 +. M-27 3 1/2" are as scarce as hens teeth and prices are starting to top $700.00 for a high end shooter grade, if you can find one.

Six
May 3, 2011, 05:01 PM
If the reports I am starting to hear are true, the Obama administration is already scheming what is described as "under the radar" gun control legislation.

Can you provide a source for these reports?

The_Shootist
May 3, 2011, 05:06 PM
Grin - maybe it's possible the new owners decided they actually liked going to the range practicing/socializing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

FROGO207
May 3, 2011, 05:49 PM
I bought One rifle 3 days before the election and a new pistol a day after the election. Then another pistol as Obama was being sworn in.:D Helping RKBA statistics for the new White House crew to observe after the election.:cool:

eye5600
May 3, 2011, 05:50 PM
I wonder how many "extra" guns were sold. The gun industry is small, and for some manufacturers, it's not too easy to ramp up production. There was increased demand of 25% or even 50% for few months, it's not actually that many guns compared to the number out there in private hands. But it's plenty to create a backlog.

Back then, I had a co-worker who thought he'd get a Mini-14 or AR-15 "someday." For lots of folks like him, Obama was enough reason to decide "today" was "someday."

eye5600
May 3, 2011, 06:00 PM
Can you provide a source for these reports?

Obama said it to Sarah Brady, as reported here (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=292025) and lots of other places, but I doubt that it refers to anything not already covered by the press. For all the secrets in Washington, not much of interest to media consumers goes unreported since every reporter wants a scoop.

I think the hottest topic is various ideas of expanding the NICS check. Just this week, Lautenberg (will he never go away?) was talking about tying in the terrorist watch list. Bloomberg and Schumer want your choice of 1) every sale at a gun show (even private ones) or 2) every handgun sale (even private ones) or 3) just every damn gun sale to require a NICS check.

I think that Obama was just saying something to keep Mrs. Brady happy, and it doesn't really mean anything. But I could be wrong.

teumessian_fox
May 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
I bought a S&W M&P 15 Performance Center at one of the higher retail shops locally for $1,399. I just checked on Gunbroker and can find it for $1,279.

So that's about right. The place I bought it didn't try to jack up their prices. They just saw their inventory evaporate.

Oh, and in response to the OP's query, I already had a significant number of firearms.

gf1723
May 3, 2011, 09:02 PM
I didn't buy one specifically because Obama got elected. I bought my first gun (Rem. 870) for hunting in 2005. From there I have acquired these:

.22 pistol
.22 rifle (bolt-action)
.45 1911
.223/5.56 AR

The gun I have used the most is BY FAR the 870 for hunting birds and deer every year. Then would probably come .22 rifle, because it's fun sitting in the middle of a field, beer in hand, plinking the cans. :)

gym
May 3, 2011, 09:19 PM
I thought that also a couple years ago, know there are always going to be some kind of threat looming over us. I am looking at AK's agian know as I missed the last time, and AR's are just too much to spend for something I really won't use. I think the AK does a lot more damage under 300 yards than anything in that price range. And being in my 60's now I am not shooting 1000 yard targets anymore, I have a friend in my development who still does and he is older than I am. We aways laugh when I see him, I say I'm coming to your house when it happens. He says just get your butts over here, we are set up for the long haul, when I ask about ammo, he just gives me that old Marine stare. Don't worry, when they see the ring of bodies out at 1000 yards, no one is coming any closer with hostile intentions. Of course we are just kidding each other.
I am going to take a ride to the seal museum in FT Pierce, 20 minutes from my home, I hear it's an interesting place, and I would like to go make a donation or buy something, just to show my apreciation.If you werent aware of it, google it, it's right off US1.

whalerman
May 3, 2011, 09:41 PM
I have no idea what the truth is, but my favorite gun dealer told me last week that the Obama gun buying rush is just now letting up. This after two and a half years of the current administration.

22-rimfire
May 3, 2011, 11:21 PM
Obama was very good for the gun business. :)

Owen Sparks
May 4, 2011, 12:15 AM
The used gun market will be a buyers market in 2012.

Balrog
May 4, 2011, 12:32 AM
The used gun market will be a buyers market in 2012

No it won't. There will be another frenzy in 2012, mark my words.

Neverwinter
May 4, 2011, 12:59 AM
No it won't. There will be another frenzy in 2012, mark my words.
Agreed. By the time March comes around, I'll know approximately how much I should increase my stock of ammo and food.

ArfinGreebly
May 4, 2011, 01:19 AM
I picked up a rifle during that fall, as the vectors began to shape up, and paid for it exactly what I paid for its twin two years earlier.

Then I got a 1k case of ball ammo and a dozen magazines to go with it (them, actually). Then I bought an assortment of onesy-twosy boxes of other ammo, fifty rounds at a time, hundred rounds at a time, brick of .22 LR at a time, as the year wore on.

At the end of the year, after the election but before Xmas, I picked up a pocket pistol in 9mm and some more ammo for that.

Somewhere in there, I picked up a truck gun (Papoose) and stocked a brick and some stingers in the truck for it.

All in 2008. I think. Not totally sure about the truck gun. That might have been early 2009. Hard to tell, I've slept since then.

Also in early winter 2008, I picked up a first rifle -- a BLR in .308 -- for my SIL (daughter's husband) so he could get back into shooting, but I don't think that actually counts.

Still have them all. Have added some ammo since. No plans to sell. Waiting for money to add a couple of missing pieces, like a CZ 512 and a 1911 of some flavor (or an XD-45).

The only one I'm considering selling or trading is the XD-40. Arthritis + snappy recoil = discomfort. And it won't be going for bargain price particularly: I plan to use the proceeds to replace it with a .45 ACP of some flavor.

At no time was there any panic in my thinking. My wife, on the other hand, had just a touch. Which is why I got the funding for my purchases.

BoilerUP
May 4, 2011, 08:43 AM
There will be another frenzy in 2012, mark my words.

In that case, I should probably start buying low now so I can sell high to panic buyers fearing a Democratic President will somehow start restricting firearm ownership despite what I suspect will be a Republican majority in Congress.

archigos
May 4, 2011, 08:58 AM
I suspect you won't see as much of this as you might think - I know a lot of folks who wanted an EBR for a long time (those who did not previously own any firearms) and Obama was just the final impetus.

Mousegun
May 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
I never really wanted an AR but bought one just before the election. Now I couldn't live without it. I love to shoot that gun, it is accurate and just plane fun and I can't count the number of people I have proven to that an AR is not the evil thing that the medial makes it out to be by simply showing them some common hunting ammo vs. a .223 round.

Then I present the "machine gun" and spend a good five minutes convincing them that it only is a semi-auto that looks mean but the AR is docile compared to many other very acceptable looking firearms.

I am concerned that if Obie gets back in, he will pull the cork knowing that this is his last four year reign of terror and give a hoot about who or what is to come as long as "I" get my stuff through. He already showed his colors during the congressional elections by not giving much of a darn about the dems that lost and even with more pressing issues on his plate, he can turn the job of gun contol over to a lesser admin official and simply sign off on what ever they come up with.

MtnSpur
May 4, 2011, 10:06 AM
The only one I'm considering selling or trading is the XD-40. Arthritis + snappy recoil = discomfort. And it won't be going for bargain price particularly: I plan to use the proceeds to replace it with a .45 ACP of some flavor.

Didn't need to "panic buy" as I was fortunate to have enough weapons in my collection. I did, however, make sure I had enough ammo :) so I guess I did buy more than I might have normally.

Understand your pain. Two weeks before left thumb joint replacement surgery in 2009 I purchased a XD .45, took it out to the range and ran 100 rounds through it. Complications from surgery (including a staph infection) lengthened recovery and alas made shooting the XD a tad more uncomfortable than I wanted. The beefy recoil spring in the XD made racking the slide difficult. While my hand has since strengthened considerably to maybe 85% where it was I still didn't enjoy the XD like before. Sold it and ended up with a S&W 686 and all's well. Funny thing is I own 2 1911's and have absolutely no difficulty racking or shooting either one.

tinygnat219
May 4, 2011, 10:08 AM
Didn't buy any guns, I ended up buying lots of AMMO for the guns that I already have.

towboat_er
May 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
I was selling at that time. Now I'm buying.

ForumSurfer
May 4, 2011, 11:05 AM
I bought my first glock at that time...but it didn't cost me any more than the subsequent glocks that followed.

I'll admit that I have fallen victim to the 10-round limit rumors and stocked up on mags, but I needed to do that anyway. Loading up 10-15 mags prior to taking my outing makes life easier. Now if I can just make the targets go fetch themselves I can just focus on the shooting. Kids are great for this, but the little buggers insist on using my ammo.

s.ken
May 4, 2011, 11:20 AM
I paid WAY too much for a 6906 in 08. I wasn't influenced by by the "Obama fears" or the general doom and gloom vibe going around during the time, I was just tired of shooting my friends' guns and wanted one of my own.

I've always loved the 6906 and bought one at a gun shop for 600 bucks. :banghead: Once again, it wasn't a panic buy, I simply did not know any better.

I still have the gun, I still love to shoot it, it has never had any kind of malfunction, I consistently out shoot my friends and their fancy modern polymers and it is my CCW, but every now and then I look at it and shake my head when I think about how much I paid for it.:p

Lesson learned.

ny32182
May 4, 2011, 11:56 AM
I was a little young for what I understand was a panic leading up to the '94 ban, but learned my lesson on the '08 election. If BHO is re-elected, this time around I will use the opportunity to trim some stuff for top dollar.

Luckily I didn't buy anything at the peak, but had no idea that prices would bottom out to the extent they are today.

The low prices today mean that either the panic buyers are now selling, demand has dropped, or the producers went overboard thinking the demand would be high longer than it was. Probably a combination of the three.

Heretic
May 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
I built a very nice AR 15 during "the big gun rush". It was built at pre-rush prices, but I had to wait 3 weeks for an upper.(better than 6 months).I would not part with it for love or money. The hard times are not over and they're only going to get worse(QE3).I think a lot of people suspect this,and aren't going to part with their guns either.

ForumSurfer
May 4, 2011, 12:10 PM
I built a very nice AR 15 during "the big gun rush".

I built a decent AR during that time frame using mostly BCM prices. The prices I bought/bartered for were about the same price then as now. I wish I had sold it as soon as it was built at the prices similar guns were going for. But it was my first AR and I thought it would be my only one...silly me.

ForumSurfer
May 4, 2011, 12:17 PM
I built a very nice AR 15 during "the big gun rush". I built a decent AR during that time frame using mostly BCM prices. The prices I bought/bartered for were about the same price then as now. I wish I had sold it as soon as it was built at the prices similar guns were going for. But it was my first AR and I thought it would be my only one...silly me.

teumessian_fox
May 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
The low prices today mean that either the panic buyers are now selling

I'm not seeing it. I've been looking for a SA M1A Scout for $500 or $600. I haven't found one.

Accident
September 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
I over paid on some panic buys. 1st timer, except for a Marlin .22lr. Now I'm a hooked. Went whitewing hunting last year for the 1st time in 40 years. Had a blast. Wife bought me a shotgun for this year. Lovin it. Also been going to local skeet events. Loads of fun. Helps me bond with my customers too. One more thing we have in common besides just eating. My wife isn't defenseless any more either. Makes it nicer when I have to be outta town.

Love this site too. Been lurking for years.

!A

carbuncle
September 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
Obama isn't gun-neutral, he just can't go forward with overt gun control until he gets re-elected. I, personally, think that a concerted campaign for gun control legislation will be in the wings for February 2013 if we don't get him out of office and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Why not just hang on to those guns picked up in the election panic? I know 2008 and subsequent events changed my opinion about buying standard capacity mags: now I will buy a handful of them for any gun that takes above 10 rounds that I know I'm likely to buy in the future: I started with a few for the 4006, next is the Beretta 92 and the Glock models I have my eye on.

BoilerUP
September 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
What Obama may or may not want with regards to gun control doesn't matter a hill of beans if Republicans control one or both branches of Congress and refuse to pass it.

HGUNHNTR
September 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
I coined the term "banic" IIRC.

I purchased guns and ammo in August, anyone could see the writing on the wall at that point. Made a few bucks.:p

Bobson
September 24, 2011, 02:08 PM
The paranoia is going stronger than ever.
Calling it paranoia suggests that it isn't justified.
Obama isn't gun-neutral, he just can't go forward with overt gun control until he gets re-elected.
This.

Deciding whether or not a president has radical views during his first term is a fool's errand. Obama will be re-elected. Despite everything he's done for this country (lol get it?) he still has plenty of fans, so he'll stick around. A president's first term is when they do what's expected, generally. In round two, the personal agenda comes out.

22-rimfire
September 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
I used to play that game (buying stuff that I thought I could sell off at a profit for fun.), but after many guns I look at the numbers and it was just about fun.

I still have ammo that I bought then. Did I gain anything? Perhaps.

Neverwinter
September 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
Calling it paranoia suggests that it isn't justified.Then it's good that he chose the appropriate word.
Deciding whether or not a president has radical views during his first term is a fool's errand. Obama will be re-elected. Despite everything he's done for this country (lol get it?) he still has plenty of fans, so he'll stick around. A president's first term is when they do what's expected, generally. In round two, the personal agenda comes out.All of the current events regarding legislation have provided ample proof for why this scenario is laughable at best. The opposition that he has to work against is willing to torpedo legislation that they proposed first, just so that he can't get credit for doing anything good for the country. What makes you think that the situation for passing gun restriction legislation detrimental to the country will be any more successful?

Bobson
September 24, 2011, 03:38 PM
The opposition that he has to work against is willing to torpedo legislation that they proposed first, just so that he can't get credit for doing anything good for the country.
That's funny. I could have sworn some sort of 900 page legislation regarding medical insurance was passed. Hmmm.

Oh, I got it now. You said he can't get credit for doing anything good for the country. Well I guess you're right about that. Then again, what good thing has he tried doing?

What makes you think that the situation for passing gun restriction legislation detrimental to the country will be any more successful?
Irrelevant. I'm not a gambling man, especially when my liberties are at stake.

Neverwinter
September 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
That's funny. I could have sworn some sort of 900 page legislation regarding medical insurance was passed. Hmmm.That was exactly what I was referring to as an example of legislation that the opposition was willing to torpedo despite having proposed it first themselves in the 90's.

It isn't gambling to look at past conditions and expect those same conditions to somehow produce a different result.

Bobson
September 24, 2011, 04:06 PM
I agree, but looking at people and treating them like they're conditions may be a fatal error. People are always changing, and we're prone to unexpected behavior. It's not like we're calculating the setting Sun here.

For example, I know my wife on the most intimate and personal level, and she still makes decisions that surprise me every single day. Obama's definitely going to be doing things I don't expect. Which is why I said I'm not a gambling man.

Neverwinter
September 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
We're talking about the legislation of Congress, which consists of many people. What you're expecting is multiple wives making uncharacteristic decisions that all coincide to changing something that they know their husbands don't want.

Bobson
September 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
You're assuming all those wives are married to one husband, or at least multiple husbands with extremely similar minds. That isn't the case. Don't forget that all those wives each have their own husband. Some of those husbands like being able to protect themselves with guns, while others think guns go around raping and murdering people at night, and all we need to do to protect ourselves is melt them down and build the cages we're sure to live in as soon as they're gone. And each husband is doing his best to convince the women to see things his way. But the marriage counselor at the top oversees the whole thing. Unfortunately, she has a husband of her own.

Edit:

In other words, there are a lot of people who would be happy to see guns be gone forever. Don't assume that just because you and I want them here, that everyone does. And don't assume we're the majority. Did you vote for Obama? Because I know I didn't. And yet there he sits, in a chair far more comfortable than mine.

Neverwinter
September 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
You're assuming all those wives are married to one husband, or at least multiple husbands with extremely similar minds. That isn't the case. Don't forget that all those wives each have their own husband. Some of those husbands like being able to protect themselves with guns, while others think guns go around raping and murdering people at night, and all we need to do to protect ourselves is melt them down and build the cages we're sure to live in as soon as they're gone. And each husband is doing his best to convince the women to see things his way. But the marriage counselor at the top oversees the whole thing. Unfortunately, she has a husband of her own.

How is this supposed to explain the rationality of the premise that depends on a series of numerous improbable events occurring? Why are we expecting the positions of Congress to significantly deviate from their current position? The current obstructionists will be joined by the others who understand why further gun restrictions are detrimental. The remainder isn't going to have any more luck. A lot of people voted against gun restrictions in the 90's after the AWB passed.

Bobson
September 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
So you're saying the status quo will forever remain? More than a dangerous assumption, that's just plain foolhardy. *Monocle*

Also why are you logging off after every post?

Neverwinter
September 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
An object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Those posts were simply requests to provide examples of outside forces which would be sufficient to cause the legislative changes which you are predicting.

Also why are you logging off after every post?The forum software provides a selection in the User Options to not show your online status. The same might also happen for smartphone users.

Baba Louie
September 24, 2011, 05:50 PM
I was gonna buy 700 - 800 guns to help a few friends south of me, but was told to wait by a very well informed friend who said I'd be "good to go" if I waited until after the election.

He was right!!!!

I had expected a hard time from the FFLs but they were all like, "sure no problem Baba, look over here Baba, now look over there, smile Baba, nice ID, how many AKs and .50s are you buying today Baba, 12? Each? good. cash? even better. see you tomorrow Baba Louie." :scrutiny:

Sorry. Was daydreaming there a minute.

I tried to buy ammo only once during the election crapola, realized the futility of it and waste of my moola, bought .22lr ammo when I could and shot a lot less. Did not buy any arms. Haven't for years. Have all I want. Need ammo.

I hope my above topical ironic sarcasm doesn't put anyone off too much. But it is ironic that both were occuring around the same time... a frenzy within a frenzy with an ammo frenzy to boot. Did we learn anything? Buy ammo early. Already own the guns you need. Have a spare or two you can unload at a profit should the same set of events occur.

Fast and Furious. A perfect name

MD_Willington
September 24, 2011, 07:32 PM
According to an acquaintance that helped overturn the WA State AFL rulings, plenty of Barrys supporters cleaned them out of AR rifles, magazines and ammo... they came in with the big'ol O on their t-shirts...

animator
September 24, 2011, 07:40 PM
I bought a Stag Arms 16" M4gery at the height of the election. Paid 650 for it... knew a dealer who wasn't gouging everyone. Had to wait around 4 or 5 months for it.. but it showed up.

It's still in the safe, and won't be going anywhere. But then again, I wasn't exactly a "new to owning guns" buyer.

BlackMagic308
September 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
What I noticed was a real good mix, but there did seem to be an awful lot of new gun buyers. There was also a record number of applications for concealed handgun permits, too.

I'll admit, I did buy a gun that week myself. It wasn't my first, by a long shot, but I did buy one. However, I got a Remington 700 bolt action. I considered it a rescue. I had images in my head of someone coming in in an Obama panic and buying it, then taking it home and painting it tan with ferns all over it, which is what happened to the rifle's shelf buddy.

Obsidian
September 25, 2011, 04:00 AM
I think some of it was because of Obama and the Democrat majority. Many posters here said that it is not the POTUS that does things, its the Senate and House. Who held those super majorities again in 08?

Oh No one is going to pass any serious anti gun legislation? Not ever again after 94? I seem to recall no one thinking anyone would ever ban anything back then either, but my memory could be mistaken.

I think it was the combination of fear of a deteriorating financial situation, the goons that were in congress, the goons that were running and everything else. the Fast and Furious debacle has shown that the entity that is supposed to be in charge of keeping guns out of criminal's hands were feeding them all along. Things like this, no matter if they can be tied to the POTUS or not, show people that there is still a lot of uncertainty out there. We don't even apparently have to worry about politicians, GVT agencies can do what they want. Oh, and czars too. And emergency appointments.

Things are not being released because of two things. The first is well this uncertainty across the board for everyone I just mentioned. The second reason is the combination of newer buyers and the glut of new guns on the market, particularly in the Semi Auto Market. When you can get an entry level AR for under 700 bucks brand new, someone is not gonna have a lot of success selling that AR they bought for 1000 bucks two years ago, used for 700 bucks. They are holding till it is more favorable to sell in a lot of situations.

Another line of reasoning is what some folks have again said. That firearm so long as it does not get wet is not gonna rot away or not be there in ten or 15 years if needed or wanted.

Also, again as others have chimed in there is a lot of new shooters in the arena these days. However everyone seems to have stockpiled their ammunition as it is generally available again.

I'm not seeing a lot of deals out there on firearms, not like I used to in years before 08. Tells me everyone is keeping on to their items. I don't expect a huge sell off in 12 either way it lands either. There will be a few perhaps but not a large cash out if the Retardagains win versus the Demoncats.

stevelyn
September 25, 2011, 06:46 AM
I had already planned to buy the ones I have. The election only forced my hand in buying them early and all at once.

husbandofaromanian
September 25, 2011, 06:53 AM
No one is talking about the possible riots that may erupt if BHO loses reelection. I run a retail store in a metropolitin city. A huge percentage of my customers were wearing clothing with his picture on it. It scared me that this guy coult be the next dictator.

It there are "after election" riots, it could become impossible to purchase firearms or ammunition until the government regains control.

Jaybird78
September 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
I bought my first AR in '09. Lower in Feb and upper in April. However I have owned guns for about 13yrs prior.

I've since bought another AR and working on a third.

NEED MORE AMMO

chad523
September 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
If we didn't know any better, BATFE would be claiming every single one of those guns went straight to Mexico...

kimbershot
September 25, 2011, 10:49 AM
i've bought and sold and bought again during the "panic". found a deal for a used, unfired colt match target--out the door for 850. parted it out for 1500--yes i am a pig:cuss: but took proceeds and purchased 2 used 1911's--colt and valor--mint:D. have since built out another black rifle for about 600 that does everything that they all do.

regarding the big o. the only for the push for gun control is that the global financial system is melting down. this has been coming for a long time . there are and will be riots, social unrest and many many protests--violence. these governments know it--they caused it--can't control it unless they can control you.

no, i am not an anarchist or a revolutionary--i am a 60 year old pragmatic white guy. i consider myself a futurist--essentially a private think tank--kinda like a self version of the rand corporation.

play what if scenarios out and consider the facts and alternatives--critical thinking. what if the food supply is diminished? what if water is tainted or unavailable? what if we don't have enough power generation to sustain basic living needs let alone production. what if i don't have any $$ cause the banks are broke, money is worthless?? push comes to shove and push back--but you can't push back to lethal force.:barf:

wally
September 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
they realize they may actually need it in the future if not now

And like with generators and fuel after the hurricane, you won't likely be able to buy one when you need it!

Make sure you have ammo for it, amazed me after hurricane Ike how many people had generators but no fuel after the first day and only one gas can!

SaxonPig
September 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
An anecdotal observation I made was that during the first 12 months after the 2008 presidential election I noted about a 400%-500% increase in the number of black shoppers I saw at local gun shows. After that first year the number of black gun and ammo buyers I saw fell back to the usual percentages.

No idea what that meant.

we are not amused
September 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
What Obama may or may not want with regards to gun control doesn't matter a hill of beans if Republicans control one or both branches of Congress and refuse to pass it.

You are right in the sense that He can't pass legislation, but he does have control of the Bureaucracy, he can do a lot with out legislation. Look at the illegal gun reporting he has imposed on the border states. Or his destruction of used military brass.
Considering the wacko's at the EPA, I fully expect a concerted effort to ban lead bullets despite legislation against it.
And don't forget his attempt to use "Fast and Furious" to blame gun shops and gun shows for arming the Mexican drug lords.

we are not amused
September 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
I think a lot of people bought a lot of guns at the beginning of this administration, because they believed that the Liberal politicians , with few exceptions, who are the leaders of the Democrat party were pushing further gun restrictions. They bought guns they wanted to have, but feared they would no longer be able to get.
I know I was greatly surprised when the Democrat controlled house and Senate reinstated Bush's new rules on concealed carry in the National Parks, and even made them more liberal. And they carefully attached it to a Bill he wouldn't veto.
I generally despise Harry Reid, but I will gladly acknowledge his support of 2nd Amendment rights.
This was very unexpected, and showed that the Democrat leadership which push gun control, that they faced a ground floor rebellion if they tried to pass meaningful gun control measures. Too many Democrats remember which issue Bill Clinton blamed for the Republican control of Congress in '94.
Even with the victories in the Supreme Court, I don't think we can let our guard down, Obama promised the gun control groups "back door" action to effect gun control. Perhaps he was lying, but I don't want to take the chance.

A lot of people on this site will be upset by my assumption that only Liberals want to ban guns. Not all of them by any means, but Harry Reid and John Dingle are the only two Nationally prominent Liberals that I know of who don't. There are many lesser known Democrats who are gun friendly, and not all Republicans are all that friendly toward guns either. But I will point out that the Liberal Democrats are the spearhead of the attempt to ban or restrict gun ownership. Liberals who support RKBA should focus their outrage on their leaders who want to restrict guns, and not on Conservative Organisations or Republicans who are gun friendly.

Neverwinter
September 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
You are right in the sense that He can't pass legislation, but he does have control of the Bureaucracy, he can do a lot with out legislation. Look at the illegal gun reporting he has imposed on the border states. Or his destruction of used military brass.
The destruction of used military brass was instituted in 2008, before Obama was inaugurated in 2009. http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/casings.asp

It looks like the paranoia is going to set the scene for another panic in 2012. There are selection bias issues with trying to use to use THR threads as a basis for statistics, but acting like the posts are not remotely representative of the general gun owning public would also be unreasonable. There are people out there afraid of riots caused by no confidence in the election system, in spite of the fact that no one was afraid of riots if the incumbent lost against a similar not-the-current-guy campaign with unfavorable odds. The efforts of Fox and talk radio have worked their magic in turning the inability to regulate corporations from destructive practices into a government program to grab power. We're making our own bed for 2012.

scndactive
September 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
Here in Alabama we recently had some very bad tornados. I was not affected but only by luck. If where I live we had been hit as bad as other places I would now have it out and loaded to protect myself and my neighbors like others have had to elsewhere.

Which would lead one to ask, What caliber for tornadoes?:evil:

Seriously though, I Bought a WASR 10 and AR-15 During the craze and got ripped pretty bad, and because of that I will never sell them .......I'd lose too much!

Nanook
September 25, 2011, 10:41 PM
I bought a couple during that period, but I buy more than that most years. It had nothing to do with that election.

I entertained the idea, because of his history, but I didn't join the panic.

JTHunter
September 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
It was when "Slick Willie" was pushing the AWB that I bought an AK. :cool:
I did stock up on more ammo for my various weapons before ZERO got in office. ;)

Some comments have been made about the possibility of ZERO trying to get something started in Feb. 2013 if he's re-elected (God FORBID!!), :what: BUT CONSIDER THIS: how effective have "lame duck" presidents been to get major, life-changing legislation like that pushed through?? :D

X-Rap
September 25, 2011, 11:47 PM
What ever the reason there are more gun owners and shooters today than at any time in history. Many have seen and heard the stories of waiting periods during the riots in LA or the confiscations by police after Katrina or simply seen that there is potential for major disaster and when the SHTF they will be on their own. I know of a number of people who were hunters but never thought of EBR's or handguns for a minute and now have them as well as ammo stashes.
A good segment of the population is believing in some preparedness as they should, we live in times when every first world country is spending in the red at levels never seen and there is no end in site. People better be prepared.

MistWolf
September 26, 2011, 04:11 AM
Most firearms don't take up too much room...

HAH! Maybe the firearms don't but all their friends do, like ammo, cleaning gear, cases, safes and reloading gear, just to name a few

we are not amused
September 26, 2011, 07:14 AM
The destruction of used military brass was instituted in 2008, before Obama was inaugurated in 2009.

Do you even bother to read your own links?
It clearly states that the suspension of sales occurred in March 2009, when a review of an earlier policy directive, caused the reclassification of the cartridges. The suspension of sales did not originate with the original policy directive, only with it's review in 2009 after Obama was elected.

we are not amused
September 26, 2011, 07:35 AM
I bought a couple during that period, but I buy more than that most years. It had nothing to do with that election.

I entertained the idea, because of his history, but I didn't join the panic.

The same here, I already had most of the guns I currently own, the only exceptions being the .380 daily carry gun and a .45-70 trap door rifle I bought at an auction.

I bought the .380 pistol used at a gun store for about 3/4's of it's new price and spent the difference on additional magazines. I wanted something other than a full size 1911 for summer carry. The 45-70, I just lucked on to, every body else was paying top dollar for the estates modern firearms, and nobody seemed to want the poor, lonely Springfield, so I took it home at a very decent price. :D

I have been keeping a larger supply of ammunition on hand, not buying huge amounts, just significantly more than I used to.

cemjr
September 26, 2011, 08:05 AM
I was motivated to buy my first firearms by the election of the BIG O. First I bought a pistol then I got my CPL. Next I bought a compact for carry. I chose high quality pieces because that's just what I do. Not long after came the black rifle. When I realize buying ammo retail was going to land me in the poor house, you guest it, a reloading system. SOMEBODY STOP ME, I'm having more fun than a human being should be alowed to have:)

alsaqr
September 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
QUOTE]The gun industry IMHO played up the fear that a gun grab was going to happen and those who did not know any better belived it and paid dearly for buying into the hype. So many dealers fed the flames so they could make a profit from the fear and panic it was almost preditory. Selling cheap ARs at Colt prices. [/QUOTE]

This.
Panic buying was driven by the gun rights organizations, the ammo retailers, gunshow promoters and gun makers. Mom and pop gun store owners did their part too. In the end it wasn't such a bad thing, i've picked up two AR-15s; one is a Colt, very cheap. :D

HoosierQ
September 26, 2011, 09:07 AM
I bought exactly nothing. Gun control is just simply not one of the current administration's platform planks. I mean had we elected Bloomberg or somebody that would be a different story...but we didn't. Gun control is a bad deal for either party because the majority of Americans are against restricting firearms.

While there is some correllation between being Dem or Rep and getting an F or A rating by the NRA...one sees a lot of "cross aisle" Fs and As (Dems with As, Reps with Fs).

All that said, vigilence is always called for here...always. Remember...Brady and his wife were (and may still be) Republicans.

Fishslayer
September 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
'08 just kinda reawakened an old enthusiasm. I was a "gun nut" at an early age. Hadn't really given it much thought for many years.

Bought a Ruger P90 in '08 and reloading gear in early '09.

Then I caught the S&W revolver bug...:(

Gordon_Freeman
September 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
Someone above said this:
Gun control is just simply not one of the current administration's platform planks.

I specifically remember watching a video of the Attorney General in February or March of 2009 saying something like "we would like to bring the Assault Weapon Ban back."
Those kinds of statements from the administration did cause panic buying. If that is not gun control, I don't know what is.

Neverwinter
September 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
Do you even bother to read your own links?
It clearly states that the suspension of sales occurred in March 2009, when a review of an earlier policy directive, caused the reclassification of the cartridges. The suspension of sales did not originate with the original policy directive, only with it's review in 2009 after Obama was elected.
It placed them into a category of equipment to be destroyed. The 2008 policy change set the foundation, although that hasn't prevented people from pointing to the administrative error as an Obama offensive against guns.

Sent from Tapatalk

Sent from Tapatalk

BHP FAN
September 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
the gun panic of 2008 won't be a pimple on the posterior portions of the gun panic of 2012!

Dr.Rob
September 26, 2011, 04:58 PM
I was guilty of buying my first AR in early 2009, but I've been shooting it a LOT.

Prices have dropped on the one I bought a bunch too. :|

Oh well, if I had waited I wouldn't have a couple-three seasons of monthly matches under my belt.

Cryogaijin
September 26, 2011, 11:59 PM
I bought my s.308 in 2008, but I got it for a very good price due to helping my LGS with a tech support issue on his website.

And I've shot it a LOT. I'm considering getting a second one just in case I wear out my first!

pockets
September 27, 2011, 08:46 AM
I confess, I bought a WASR just before the election. It was on my list of 'toys-I-want' and my wife wanted to get me one for Christmas that year. I figured I'd buy it BEFORE the price went up. The price jumped nearly $100 two weeks after I bought mine.
I bought a few handguns in late '08 and over '09 as well. None of those purchases had anything to do with the election. Most were pre-owned guns I had been wanting and they turned up in the local shops at good prices.
I actually got better deals on used guns during 2009/2010 than I can find today....go figure?

Ky Larry
September 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
When the first time buyers actually brought their firearms home, they discovered some facts about ownership.

1. They didn't go crazy and murder their families and neighbors.

2. Having a weapon in their home didn't turn them into knuckle dragging idiots or backwoods rednecks.

3. The weapons didn't jump out of the closet, spin around in the air and start going off by themselves.

4. These weapons didn't turn their children into gangsta's or gang bangers.

5. They actually slept a little better at night knowing they had a means to defend thier homes and families.

6. They realized they had been lied to for years by the Brady Bunch.

Therefore, there's no reason to sell their weapons and go back to being unarmed.

TIMC
September 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
I bought a couple in 2010 frome people who bought them then no longer wanted them and I bought a couple more recently. Seems right now there are some good deals to be had at the gun show from people bringing them in to sell.

Personally I didn't do any panic buying but I have been having fun buying from the ones that did at greatly reduced prices.;)

mrcooper
September 30, 2011, 01:24 AM
Panic buying of 08 is still hurting people, we have lost a few of our gun shows, the dealers couldn't get the ridiculous prices any more so they are sitting on their stuff complaining and they aint about to lower their prices, we can buy primers now but prices are still high also powder is available but, I had plenty when 08 hit so the hell with their high prices, their is a gun show coming up next Mo I am going to just to see some old friends I will not buy anything except the $3.00 to get in and maybe a cup of coffee, in my area we used to have 6 good gun shows now we have 2.

azmjs
September 30, 2011, 02:02 AM
It wasn't me. I was in China during the 08 election and its irrational/asinine aftermath.

Ignition Override
September 30, 2011, 02:36 AM
No, my ammo was bought in early '08 to avoid typical price increases. My interest in guns had only developed in late '07.

As for the people who Did panic, did they not want to ask any astute, long-term gun enthusiasts whether Democrats made any political blunders with gun issues, and whether they learned some painful lsssons?

Even if some of us never used a gun for about twenty years:o (totally unaware of the "troubles" in the 90s, or any gun issues), the astute friends and buddies with guns were well-aware of the severe political costs to Al Gore, and how the Democrats in late 2008 wanted to save President Obama's "political capital" for health care etc, instead of throwing some of it away on gun issues.

Did the panicked people in 2008-2009 not understand scalping and propaganda?

How about the opposite reaction? In summer '09, a seller (scalper?:scrutiny:) in Keene NH might have panicked, as he/she listed over 50,000 rds. of Russian 7.62x39 on 'GB' at the same time.

killchain
September 30, 2011, 05:25 AM
I bought an AR-15 the night Obama got elected, but it wasn't because I was afraid he would ban them... well, not completely.

On election night I was sitting on quite a bit of money in a temporary "geographical batchelor" barracks in Fort Drum. I figured it was the right time to buy something as close to my service weapon as possible, so I went down to the Gander Mountain.

I got the last AR-15, a Bushy M4A3 that was the display model. I kind of wrinkled my nose at a display model, but hey... it was the last one. I paid like $1080 after taxes. Sure, at the time it was a little more expensive than normal (and it was DEFINITELY cheaper than the years of 08-10) and it's kind of expensive now. But it works great and I love it. I didn't even know what parkerization was until I realized I could take it out in cow piss rain and it wouldn't faze it.

It has no bayonet lug and a welded flash hider.

But it's my baby, and it reminds me of those days at Drum.

X-Rap
September 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
But it's my baby, and it reminds me of those days at Drum.
No doubt fond memories:rolleyes: My son was 1-89

strmday
September 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
I did my part.
I bought two AR15 lowers about a week before the election and ordered Stag uppers to go with them. As I recall it was several weeks before I got the uppers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Bought All Those ’08 Election Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!