Need Recoil Advice

PDA

svtruth
May 2, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sighting in the .454 lever gun and after 10-15 rounds I had a bruise that lasted a week. Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Recoil Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hermannr
May 2, 2011, 05:02 PM
The best thing I have ever shot (but did not own) was a 12 ga Golden Snipe with a compressed air piston shock absorber in the stock. Shooting a round of Skeet with that shotgun and full power loads was like shooting a .22

General Geoff
May 2, 2011, 05:10 PM
Best advice I can give you is to roll with the recoil. Your shoulder and body should move back along with the recoil of a heavy caliber rifle. Don't try to *stop* the rifle with your shoulder, simply hold it tight so the rifle will push your shoulder and body back with it instead of impacting against it.

Frogomatik
May 2, 2011, 05:11 PM
I've got a 454 levergun, rossi 92, and had the same problem. That recoil pad is like a brick. After I swapped the stock pad for a limbsaver I found I could shoot it a lot longer before my shoulder said no more. I'm still thinking I'd like to add a mercury recoil reducer or 5.

@Geoff: there's no rolling with the punch on this one. It's the nature of the 454. The pressure curve is not so much a curve as it is a spike. Fast burning powder, heavy bullets, and 55,000+psi = sudden, instant, and imediate recoil of brutal proportions.

svtruth
May 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks all.
I was seated at a table to stay as steady as possible, so standing might be milder. Also only loaded one round at a time, a full mag might help as well.
Will lok into Limbsaver.

Cop Bob
May 3, 2011, 12:51 PM
You had two really goog suggestions here, the softer pad, and one or two recoil reducing mercury or that type tubes drilled and planted in your stock..

From the bench is the place most folks get really beat up by heavy kickers.. Here are a couple of things that I do when shooting off a bench.

#1, DO NOT take a death grip on the gun and tense up your shoulder.. Just pull the gun by the foregrip snugly into your shoulder..

#2, Either set the gun and rest up high enough, or lower your seating position enough to where your BACK (Spine) is STRAIGHT.. and NO NOT TENSE YOUR BACK MUSCLES.. stay loose in the shoulder and the back, allow your back to "Ride the Recoil" Be loose enough to move with the gun..

Here are links to two videos of folks shooting HEAVY kickers.. the 1st one is how to do it wrong... the guy at the end, the last shooter knows what he is doing (notice that he is employing everything that I stated here.. only he is standing.. which IS the best way to handle heavy kickers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ged4lz_Fw2Y

The 2nd link, shows a lighter Double being shot, in the same caliber as the 1st video, the man knows how to shoot African Calibered Double's and there are not many rifles on this planet that kick like a .577 Snider or a T-Rex.. look at the size of the round at the opening of the video.. and notice, his back and shoulders are loose, and he moves with the gun..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lhTqWOS5Y

The most difficult part of shooting off a bench is getting into a position, and finding a rest that will allow you and the gun to move in unison.. Just don;t try and "STOP" the gun with your body.. you can't... and like the old adage say's, if you can't beat em... Join em.. move with the gun.

brickeyee
May 3, 2011, 01:50 PM
You can always use a sissy bag if you are shooting seated.

Claude Clay
May 3, 2011, 02:23 PM
i trimmed the straps off of a PAST and sewed it into a old vest. playing with shot guns, guide guns and mosins is no longer a painful pleasure

double bogey
May 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
+1 on the PAST

ms6852
May 3, 2011, 04:40 PM
Shoot a 22. On the serious side limb saver coils will be your best bet, and maybe you should consider getting your barrel ported if a muzzle break is not an option.

jiminhobesound
May 3, 2011, 06:59 PM
I agree with rolling with the shot. I used to actually try to push with my hand on the forearm. Very tight grip and very tight to the shoulder with the back hand. Any true recoil pad helps. Do you get facial bruises? Sometimes a gun is such a bad fit for a specific person that they are unable to really tame the recoil.

Carne Frio
May 3, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have a bad shoulder and like the Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad.
After a hundred rounds of 12 gauge, I feel no pain.
I use a Caldwell Lead Sled when shooting from a bench.

http://www.limbsaver.com/store/home.php?cat=268

svtruth
May 4, 2011, 10:39 AM
The videos were very instructive, but I was developing a flinch from them dropping the rifle and knocking the scope around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Recoil Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!