what gun is this?

PDA

blackops
May 2, 2011, 07:51 PM
What kind of gun is this guy carrying (guy on the left)?

http://weaselzippers.us/2011/05/02/inside-seal-team-6-the-men-who-killed-osama-bin-laden/

If you enjoyed reading about "what gun is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chopdoktor
May 2, 2011, 07:55 PM
It's an HK of some sort, with a flashlight mounted under the barrel. Likely an MP5 variant.

LeonCarr
May 2, 2011, 07:56 PM
Heckler & Koch MP-5 9mm Submachinegun with Surefire flashlight.

blackops
May 2, 2011, 08:12 PM
hmmm, didn't look like an MP-5 to me (not that I disagree). I wonder if the went in with MP-5's and M4's? That's what I assumed.

sjohn26
May 2, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hk-416

Guns and more
May 3, 2011, 01:58 AM
Not a MP-5.

LiquidTension
May 3, 2011, 03:56 AM
didn't look like an MP-5 to me (not that I disagree). I wonder if the went in with MP-5's and M4's?

What?

Rubber_Duck
May 3, 2011, 05:48 AM
That's probably a stock photo and not a photo of the actual group of men that carried out this mission.

Kwanger
May 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
That's probably a stock photo and not a photo of the actual group of men that carried out this mission.
Absolutely.

Gtscotty
May 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm seeing an mp5 + flashlight....

blackops
May 3, 2011, 04:32 PM
I never assumed these guys were on the hit team, though if they were we will never know. Not like you can identify them.I was wondering, on a raid like this I would assume they would be running m4's and mp5's and such. I was debating with someone and they disagreed that mp5's would be deployed. Not like it really matters, I was just curious what these bad boys trust their lives with and what weapons they utilize on these kind of missions. Still not sure what kind of gun the guys is carrying in the photo. I can see mp5, but I look again and don't see it.

Effigy
May 3, 2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think the military even uses MP5s. It's more of a SWAT weapon.

blackops
May 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
I don't think the military even uses MP5s.

Really?? It's tough for me to believe spec ops teams in close quarters would never find an MP5 in their hands here and there.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 3, 2011, 09:18 PM
They do use MP5s.

grilledcheese
May 3, 2011, 09:36 PM
From what I've been seeing lately on the all-knowing all-powerful internets, the SEAL teams would appear to be currently using HK416 rifles and MP7 subs. The MP7 has all but replaced the MP5's that were once used, with the exception of a few MP5SD2 models and such with the integral suppressors. For sidearms, the HK45TC and maybe P226 are used maybe?

Jeffrey

Maverick223
May 3, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'd bet the farm that the carbine pictured is an MP-5 (as is the one on the right)...which I seriously doubt that they would use...especially without a magazine locked in (which appears to be the case in that photo). ;)

Ignition Override
May 4, 2011, 01:50 AM
What is the highest priority in our Special Forces' choices of guns?
Is reliability the main objective, or reliability combined with compactness for such urban scenarios?
I've read many compliments about the HK (roller-delayed...) system, though others mention the need for a fair bit of cleaning.

blackops:
Thanks for the very interesting link to http://weaselzippers.us/05/02/i...ama-bin-laden/, which includes the unbelievable comments:scrutiny: by the Norwegian communications spokesman, and the novelist (Erin Brodin).
These people might believe that terrorists are good people who can't be held responsible for their actions, because of troubled childhoods?

Hopefully they do not speak for the majority in their land, or in other Scandinavian countries.

blackops
May 4, 2011, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the very interesting link

No problem! I love weaselzippers!

Semyon Vasilii
May 4, 2011, 02:32 AM
i know i wouldnt go to war with a submachine gun. a 9mm submachine gun is the worst. i want something going 2500 fps that will penetrate a human at 1000 yards if you somehow hit someone at that range. even for "cqb" and clearing rooms i still wouldnt take it. an m4 would do me fine. or for those seals their choice of an m4, hk 416, scar, m14, whatever. probably the mp5 too but i doubt many, if any, seals use it.

Rubber_Duck
May 4, 2011, 04:47 AM
Don't forget SCAR-Hs, SCAR-Ls, MK18 MOD 0s and 1s, and even regular M4s are used by SEALs so it's anyones guess what was used. In a CQB environment such as this it was more than likely a MK18 or HK416 but once again nobody knows for sure. The military tends to move away from pistol-caliber submachine guns in general due to the widespread use of body armor. A 5.56 round out of a 10.3-inch barreled MK18 is still better than a 9mm round out of an MP5.

blackops
May 4, 2011, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't go to war with a sub either however ever application is different. I'm cool in clearing rooms with a long barrel to expose myself before I even have eyes on target.

Semyon Vasilii
May 8, 2011, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't go to war with a sub either however ever application is different. I'm cool in clearing rooms with a long barrel to expose myself before I even have eyes on target.

read the post above yours.

even with a 9" barrel i will have greater MV with a rifle cartridge than i will with a 9mm out of a 16" bbl. and greater armor penetration.

i would rather be able to penetrate armor when i get my eyes on target with an equal length barrel. and i must have been taught room clearing differently than you. i dont sneak my barrel into a room 5 seconds before i enter the doorframe LOL

Semyon Vasilii
May 9, 2011, 10:18 PM
I'd bet the farm that the carbine pictured is an MP-5 (as is the one on the right)...which I seriously doubt that they would use...especially without a magazine locked in (which appears to be the case in that photo). ;)

except an mp5 isnt really a carbine... if it was it would be a lot more useful. its a submachine gun. im sure most operators prefer rifles

Maverick223
May 9, 2011, 10:28 PM
Why don't you get nit picky? BTW I know for a fact that "operators" choose their firearms based on the mission...which sometimes includes pistol caliber weapons.

CraigC
May 10, 2011, 12:30 AM
Weren't the Army Rangers using a special 10mm version of the MP5???

Maverick223
May 10, 2011, 01:14 AM
Weren't the Army Rangers using a special 10mm version of the MP5???Various SOCOM forces (including CAG/Δ, Rangers, SF, and perhaps DEVGRU/SEAL Team 6) employed it in a limited capacity (I believe the SEALs have, at least for the most part, swapped their's for the MP-7). IIRC the FBI HRT had quite a few of them...and may very well still use them. I have heard that the MP-5/10 is a whole different beast (performance wise) when compared to the standard 9mmPara. MP-5.

:)

Semyon Vasilii
May 10, 2011, 03:25 AM
Why don't you get nit picky? BTW I know for a fact that "operators" choose their firearms based on the mission...which sometimes includes pistol caliber weapons.

why dont i get nit picky?

i really dont know. its just never been my thing. sorry the term operators bothers you too. would the term sailors have been better?

and it has already been stated that the sailor gets to choose his weapon in certain circumstances. yes. sometime they use pistol caliber weapons. i was simply saying that i doubt it happens very frequently. im in the military man. obviously im not a seal. but ive spent my fair share of time around SF guys. and if i was a seal, i wouldnt mind carrying an mp7 to clear a tight house. but thats only because it fires a rifle type cartridge. which is the same train of thought as a lot of SF guys. though ive never met anyone in the army that has the option of either weapon.

would you choose an mp5 on a 2-way range?

Maverick223
May 10, 2011, 10:35 AM
would you choose an mp5 on a 2-way range?Sure, for short range, room clearing type operations. The compactness, lightweight, and ease of handling makes it well suited to such roles. That said, it has mostly been usurped by other systems, most notably the new AR-15 type carbines, MP-7, or FN P90.

CraigC
May 10, 2011, 01:06 PM
For close quarters and room clearing, I would take a pistol cartridge sub-gun any day of the week over the deafening blast (fired indoors) of a short barrelled 5.56.

benzy2
May 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
For my room clearing, I'll take an Xbox controller over a PS3 controller. It's a little bulkier, but I'm a bit faster with it.

Cal-gun Fan
May 10, 2011, 08:52 PM
For my room clearing, I'll take an Xbox controller over a PS3 controller. It's a little bulkier, but I'm a bit faster with it.
This ^^

Mind if I make this my sig?

Bah I'm doing it anyway.

benzy2
May 10, 2011, 08:54 PM
Go for it

Quiet
May 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
US SOCOM never issued the H&K MP-5/10.

The H&K MP-5/10 was developed for the FBI and the FBI was the main end user.

During the 1980s, the US Naval Special Warfare Development Group (DevGru/SEAL Team 6) did use the H&K SMG I/SMG II//MP-2000. Which they later discontinued due to lack of spare parts to maintain/upkeep them. They were replaced by the H&K MP-5N series.

H&K SMG I
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/quiet_wolf/SMG206.jpg?t=1305075642
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/quiet_wolf/SMG203.jpg?t=1305075442
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/quiet_wolf/SMG202.jpg?t=1305075442

Rubber_Duck
May 10, 2011, 10:07 PM
Interesting, what are the two button-like things on the receiver behind the magwell? One of them has to be the magazine release. Also interesting is the forward assist.

Quiet
May 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
Interesting, what are the two button-like things on the receiver behind the magwell? One of them has to be the magazine release. Also interesting is the forward assist.
Top = bolt release
Bottom = magazine release

The forward assist could also be used to "silently" close the bolt.

Rubber_Duck
May 11, 2011, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the information. I'm not a big follower of HK but I've spent a lot of time looking at all their submachine gun variants and this is one that I've never seen. Very cool!

Maverick223
May 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
US SOCOM never issued the H&K MP-5/10.

The H&K MP-5/10 was developed for the FBI and the FBI was the main end user.I think they use the 5/10 in a limited capacity, but I may be misremembering because I couldn't find any source to confirm.

sarduy
May 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6289/19453007.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/19453007.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Quiet
May 11, 2011, 09:19 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6289/19453007.jpg

It's an H&K MP-5N with a Surefire 628 series light/forearm and a H&K 3 lug flash hider.
The flash hider helps prevent carbon/residue build up on the light, when you shoot the MP5. Without it, the carbon/residue build could dimish the light's output/effectiveness.

If you enjoyed reading about "what gun is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!