Check out this quote from a left wing windbag (esp. if you're a "knife type")

PDA

geegee
January 26, 2003, 09:58 AM
I never thought I'd be paying any attention to what this left wing, dim bulb has to say, but (as a "knife guy") this quote did kind of tickle me:I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives. :rolleyes: :p And by the way, she sure as heck is anti-gun. geegee

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out this quote from a left wing windbag (esp. if you're a "knife type")" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
January 26, 2003, 10:11 AM
Didn't one of the ancients describe a Persian king who killed himself cleaning his sword? I think it was Herodotus?

Triad
January 26, 2003, 10:15 AM
A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners.
Since when are cowardice and physical fitness the same thing? Also, is it just me, or would you expect a left winger to have a little more consideration for those that can't run due to health problems and the like?

Meanoldfart
January 26, 2003, 10:33 AM
This lady has apparently never seen the results of a serious knifefight.
I have said many times, "don't be stupid enough to bring a gun to a knifefight" yes, I am serious!

MikeK
January 26, 2003, 10:38 AM
What about throwing knives?

goon
January 26, 2003, 11:45 AM
My 9mm will make about a .50-.60 caliber hole in somebody.
My field knife makes about a 2 inch gash on the way in, and if I were to twist a little on the way out, it would easily be a 2 inch area void of any flesh. In order to get a gun to do that, you would have to use a shotgun.
Don't try and tell me that a knife isn't as dangerous as a gun.
And don't even get me started on claw hammers....

ajacobs
January 26, 2003, 01:19 PM
Who is the quote from??

Dannyboy
January 26, 2003, 01:34 PM
Since when are cowardice and physical fitness the same thing?

I can see where you might come up with that but I really don't think she was talking about the fitness of criminals.

PATH
January 26, 2003, 01:40 PM
"Whether the pitcher hits the pot or the pot hits the pitcher; it is always bad for the pitcher."

A knife or a gun can hurt you very badly. Why is it htat people who write articles like this are taken seriously.

If you want to show up to a gunfight with just a knife then be my guest. I'll opt for the gun every time!:neener:

Cactus
January 26, 2003, 02:04 PM
It sounds as if that statement was made with tongue implanted firmly in cheek!

Marshall
January 26, 2003, 03:01 PM
I guess she didn't learn much in History? You never take a Knife to a Gunfight! And the Bad Guys will always have Guns! ;)

Bainx
January 26, 2003, 03:26 PM
geegee, please post the source if you still have it. I would like to read the whole deal.

The antis never cease to amaze me.

goon
January 26, 2003, 03:26 PM
"I guess she didn't learn much in History? You never take a Knife to a Gunfight! And the Bad Guys will always have Guns! "

It depends on the fight.
I once read about a group of resistance fighters and Allied commandos during WWII who were trapped behind enemy lines.
They were known to sneak up on the Germans, kill them with a knife, them use the captured weapon to kill more germans.
A Winchester beats a knife, unless the guy with the knife is behind the guy with the Winchester with the knife to his throat.;)

Don Gwinn
January 26, 2003, 03:33 PM
Guys, she was kidding.

And I don't think she was talking about running away from people. She was talking about running to catch someone so you could stab them (because we're a nation of murderers, so that would get the whole country in shape.)

cracked butt
January 26, 2003, 03:36 PM
It would make sense for liberals to endorse knives since their philosophy does not allow for competition or the concept of winners and losers. To paraphrase something I read awhile back either here or on the TFL board : The difference between first and second place in a knife fight is that the first place contestant dies a few hours or days later.:scrutiny:

Litlman
January 26, 2003, 04:02 PM
What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron L
January 26, 2003, 04:14 PM
Talk about athletics! You'd really have to be fit to run 1200 fps whilst holding that knife. ;)

geegee
January 26, 2003, 04:38 PM
Apologies are in order. I didn't include her name when I did a "copy & paste". :rolleyes:

Drum roll please: Texas's own....Molly Ivins! :cuss: :fire:
Now where's the "barf smiley" when you really need it? geegee

Meanoldfart
January 26, 2003, 05:37 PM
Thats the stupidest count that was EVER allowed to write crap any where, But what do you expect fram "The Urinal and Constipation" of Hotlanta, Ga. :fire:

seeker_two
January 26, 2003, 06:18 PM
Molly Ivins: Texas's answer to Hillary Clinton. What an idiot! :cuss:

BTW, her comments were verry insensitive to those who can't run (wheelchair, amputee, etc.). I hope she's forced to take the appropriate "sensitivity classes"...:evil:

Marshall
January 26, 2003, 06:55 PM
A Winchester beats a knife, unless the guy with the knife is behind the guy with the Winchester with the knife to his throat.

Give me the Winchester and I'll take my chances! ;)

Lone Star
January 26, 2003, 07:04 PM
El Tejon-

Herodotus was a Greek historian. If you think of the name of any Persian king who killed himself while cleaning a sword, let us know. That would be an interesting account to read.

Some Persian kings were names Xerxes, I think. Could that be it?

Lone Star

Crimper-D
January 26, 2003, 08:19 PM
If I get in past 7 yards with a knife, I will CUT you once, perhaps SEVERAL times before you can shoot me. Seen this drill too many times in practice sessions to beleive otherwise. People trying to stop the bleeding /hold their guts in/figure out how to plug a sucking chest wound, severd artery, etc are going to be a tad preoccupied to shoot well,often, or accurately.
DON"T let a guy with a knife get in close, or yer a casuilty! :evil: :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out this quote from a left wing windbag (esp. if you're a "knife type")" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!